Ohhhhhhh! THAT'S where that part went!

Related:
Create New Tag

9/15/2020 9:48 PM

Pulling a can of lube from a high shelf today in Pop's garage and this fell down on my head. (Green circle shows its resting spot at least 10 years prior.)

I used to hate doing top ends only because the circlips were a nightmare for me. I got in the habit of getting several extra because they would go flying about. Many times I had to make a mad dash to the shop before it closed to get more or else miss riding the next day. It was many years before I learned the easy, proper way to install them.

I have no idea if this POS clip caused me a mild or major panic attack but I cursed at it all the same.

I wonder how many shops are holding those carb needle clips that went flying off. Or a masterlink clip. Or that one unique nut or bolt that slowly rolled into the dark corner as the guy wrenching watched thinking "I know where it went." while he had his hands full, only to never find that muther effing $1.50 bolt that ruined his weekend.

Share your tales of cursed lost parts. Even better if you found them years later.

Photo
Photo

|

9/15/2020 10:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2020 10:25 PM

The only circlip I’ve lost went into my lower end lol. 3 magnets later, I was able to fish it out. I lost 32 needle bearings from a friends shock on my dirty driveway a couple months ago. Somehow I found every one with the same magnet I got the circlip out with

|

9/15/2020 10:51 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/15/2020 10:52 PM

When I moved to my current house we downsized a lot so I cleared the garage of everything I didn’t use or need anymore along with everything inside the house. At that point I had one complete bike and two frame up rebuilds going on. My 2004 250EXC parts like the swing arm, radiators, linkage, shock, and every electrical component and nut and bolt were in one large bin. I swore I brought it home with me, and I swear I didn’t leave it in the huge trash pile my pops was loading onto the trailer to take to the dump.

Went to start on the build again a couple months and couldn’t find that bin anywhere, we moved into a small garage and I organized and labeled EVERYTHING. I was debating on scraping the frame and giving up after about three days of looking for everything, I didn’t have enough motivation to spend the money to piece it back together off eBay parts.

Anyway last weekend I went into my little den where I keep my aquariums and supplies (my other hobby). I have a couple of tanks sitting empty now and use the stands and empty tanks for storage of other fish tank stuff. That bin of KTM stuff? Underneath an empty 90 gallon that I bought off craigslist a month before I moved from my old house. I moved all my aquariums a week before we actually spent a night in the new place, and took all my stuff from the garage the day before we moved in with one big load.

I don’t know who put that shit there, but they really weren’t thinking.

|

9/15/2020 11:37 PM

Rickyisms wrote:

When I moved to my current house we downsized a lot so I cleared the garage of everything I didn’t use or need anymore along with everything inside the house. At that point I had one complete bike and two frame up rebuilds going on. My 2004 250EXC parts like the swing arm, radiators, linkage, shock, and every electrical component and nut and bolt were in one large bin. I swore I brought it home with me, and I swear I didn’t leave it in the huge trash pile my pops was loading onto the trailer to take to the dump.

Went to start on the build again a couple months and couldn’t find that bin anywhere, we moved into a small garage and I organized and labeled EVERYTHING. I was debating on scraping the frame and giving up after about three days of looking for everything, I didn’t have enough motivation to spend the money to piece it back together off eBay parts.

Anyway last weekend I went into my little den where I keep my aquariums and supplies (my other hobby). I have a couple of tanks sitting empty now and use the stands and empty tanks for storage of other fish tank stuff. That bin of KTM stuff? Underneath an empty 90 gallon that I bought off craigslist a month before I moved from my old house. I moved all my aquariums a week before we actually spent a night in the new place, and took all my stuff from the garage the day before we moved in with one big load.

I don’t know who put that shit there, but they really weren’t thinking.

Epic.

So you're going to start the 250 EXC bike build now? laughing

|

9/15/2020 11:38 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

The only circlip I’ve lost went into my lower end lol. 3 magnets later, I was able to fish it out. I lost 32 needle bearings from a friends shock on my dirty driveway a couple months ago. Somehow I found every one with the same magnet I got the circlip out with

I know for sure I've run linkage with one or a few less needles in there. I was actually looking
for an edge by shaving weight wherever possible. hahaha

|

9/16/2020 12:18 AM

The worst part of a top end is putting the circlip in. What's the easy way?

|

9/16/2020 1:02 AM

To this day , I still haven't found the spring for my KTM clutch lever. Lever has been flopping around for a good year now. lol

|

9/16/2020 1:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2020 1:43 AM

Still have not found the circlip from my 2013 KTM 250/300 SX, from 5 or 6 years ago, the second one nearly imbedded it self in my eye. 😎😎🤣😢

|

@TONY351KTM

9/16/2020 2:31 AM

I use the dishwasher to clean some small parts like holeshot devices. They're still cleaner going in than that pot you used to reheat indian food, so I don't get what the big deal is..

Couldn't find the engagement half.

Sometime later in the silverware drawer, not with the knives or forks, but in that one funky slot where you keep shit like wine cork pullers, fruit peelers, maybe a manual can opener, is where it appeared. That's what happens when you unload the dishwasher at like 445am before work.

|

9/16/2020 6:18 AM

Changing the plugs and wires on my 2008 F150 w/ the 4.6, I dropped a 7mm deep socket down the spark plug well into the motor.... I wasnt sure at first so I looked everywhere for 30 mins or so. I just couldnt come to peace with the fact I might have to take the heads off to get to the socket. Another 30mins later of fishing it out with a magnet I was able to get it.

|

9/16/2020 6:23 AM

Worst one for me is dropping a valve shim down the cam chain hole into the flywheel area. Luckily it stuck to the flywheel instead of going thru one of the oil holes to the transmission.

|

9/16/2020 6:29 AM

Couldn't find either of my 10mm wrenches for 3 months, bought replacements.

3 Months after they disappeared I go to put on my shop apron and in the front pocket there they are smiling at me.

Now I have spares lol

|

9/16/2020 6:55 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2020 6:56 AM

Years and years ago, working on my '73 RD350, was using some 4" vice grips probably putting master link on. Laid vice grips on front of swingarm (dual shock bike of coarse). Few weeks later noticed strange wear groove right down the center of the K-81 rear tire. Took a look, there were the vice grips, rubbing the center of the tire. I had ridden a couple hundred miles by then. Eroded a chunk out of the vice grips. Utter teenage stupidity. Still have and use those vice grips.

|

9/16/2020 7:00 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

When I moved to my current house we downsized a lot so I cleared the garage of everything I didn’t use or need anymore along with everything inside the house. At that point I had one complete bike and two frame up rebuilds going on. My 2004 250EXC parts like the swing arm, radiators, linkage, shock, and every electrical component and nut and bolt were in one large bin. I swore I brought it home with me, and I swear I didn’t leave it in the huge trash pile my pops was loading onto the trailer to take to the dump.

Went to start on the build again a couple months and couldn’t find that bin anywhere, we moved into a small garage and I organized and labeled EVERYTHING. I was debating on scraping the frame and giving up after about three days of looking for everything, I didn’t have enough motivation to spend the money to piece it back together off eBay parts.

Anyway last weekend I went into my little den where I keep my aquariums and supplies (my other hobby). I have a couple of tanks sitting empty now and use the stands and empty tanks for storage of other fish tank stuff. That bin of KTM stuff? Underneath an empty 90 gallon that I bought off craigslist a month before I moved from my old house. I moved all my aquariums a week before we actually spent a night in the new place, and took all my stuff from the garage the day before we moved in with one big load.

I don’t know who put that shit there, but they really weren’t thinking.

FWYT wrote:

Epic.

So you're going to start the 250 EXC bike build now? laughing

Once I finish the 150 the EXC will be up next for a light resto.

|

9/16/2020 7:03 AM

pull the piston pin out of a ski doo 800 top end, theres no cage on the wrist pin bearing and all the pins like to fall into the bottom end

|

9/16/2020 7:05 AM

I'm pretty sure I have a full tool set and many spare parts under the engine on my old snowmobile. Either that or they are out on the trail somewhere.

|

9/16/2020 7:19 AM

Lost one of those collared washers Honda uses (through the rubber grommets like on the CR silencers) on my first CR125. It rolled into the corner and I swore I saw where it went. Never found it. Years later we went to move and I thought for sure I’d find it...nope.

Shops truly have some Bermuda Triangle stuff going on, lol...

|

9/16/2020 7:28 AM

chump6784 wrote:

The worst part of a top end is putting the circlip in. What's the easy way?

You set the first end of the clip in the groove and hold it down tight with your thumb. Then using a small pick or screwdriver, you gently sort of spoon it in the rest of the way. Sort of the same motion like putting a tire on a rim. Incredibly easy once you learn it and you're going to be seriously pissed off you did not learn it years ago.

|

9/16/2020 7:36 AM

chump6784 wrote:

The worst part of a top end is putting the circlip in. What's the easy way?

FWYT wrote:

You set the first end of the clip in the groove and hold it down tight with your thumb. Then using a small pick or screwdriver, you gently sort of spoon it in the rest of the way. Sort of the same motion like putting a tire on a rim. Incredibly easy once you learn it and you're going to be seriously pissed off you did not learn it years ago.

I set the circlip in as much as it will settle and use the old wrist pin to push it through

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

9/16/2020 8:03 AM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

The only circlip I’ve lost went into my lower end lol. 3 magnets later, I was able to fish it out. I lost 32 needle bearings from a friends shock on my dirty driveway a couple months ago. Somehow I found every one with the same magnet I got the circlip out with

That magnet deserves a very special spot on the shelf!

|

9/16/2020 8:06 AM

Lost my damn silencer fasteners yesterday

I will find them today no matter how many beers it takes

|

9/16/2020 8:10 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2020 8:12 AM

I had a spring retainer on a shotgun go flying off once. Heard it bounce around in this big closet my wife had full of shit, so I started pulling stuff out and rumaging through boxes. I did eventually find it but the wife was pissed that I messed up her "organized" closet. Haha! I also have a .22 that has a very small spring that flys off almost every time you take it apart. I now disassemble and then reassemble that step with my hands under a towel and just do it by feel. Im afraid if that little tiny bugger flys off Ill never find it. And like almost everyone else who has ever wrenched on bikes, Ive had c clips and roller bearing pins etc. fall or even fling off but dont remember actually losing any.

|

9/16/2020 8:26 AM

I don't have a story about a specific part, but I do know there's a black hole that resides somewhere on my garage floor. Every part, tool, or coin I drop is inexorably drawn to this region of space where all things are gobbled up. I try to watch where the parts go, but they go behind my stand or a parked bike and never return out the other side. You have to figure they rolled to a stop just out of view and would be right there on the garage floor when you go look, right? Nope. Gone.

Move the bike stand and roll the bike out of the garage. Not there.
Lift the couch I have in the garage. Not under there.
Under the fridge stand? Nope.
15 feet away, under the workbench, even though it was rolling the other way? Nope. Of course not. I checked, though.
In the expansion joints of the concrete? Nope.
Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Is it blending into the concrete? Get on hands & knees to put my eye on ground level. Nope.
Hell, did it bounce just right and get kicked out of the garage? Nope, not on the driveway, in the gutter, or down the street.

Gone. There are several washers, bolts and things like circlips which I have never found.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

9/16/2020 11:11 AM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

The only circlip I’ve lost went into my lower end lol. 3 magnets later, I was able to fish it out. I lost 32 needle bearings from a friends shock on my dirty driveway a couple months ago. Somehow I found every one with the same magnet I got the circlip out with

Spudnut wrote:

That magnet deserves a very special spot on the shelf!

It’s one of the only tools I actually put back in the same place every time I use it

|

9/16/2020 11:46 AM

Falcon wrote:

I don't have a story about a specific part, but I do know there's a black hole that resides somewhere on my garage floor. Every part, tool, or coin I drop is inexorably drawn to this region of space where all things are gobbled up. I try to watch where the parts go, but they go behind my stand or a parked bike and never return out the other side. You have to figure they rolled to a stop just out of view and would be right there on the garage floor when you go look, right? Nope. Gone.

Move the bike stand and roll the bike out of the garage. Not there.
Lift the couch I have in the garage. Not under there.
Under the fridge stand? Nope.
15 feet away, under the workbench, even though it was rolling the other way? Nope. Of course not. I checked, though.
In the expansion joints of the concrete? Nope.
Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Is it blending into the concrete? Get on hands & knees to put my eye on ground level. Nope.
Hell, did it bounce just right and get kicked out of the garage? Nope, not on the driveway, in the gutter, or down the street.

Gone. There are several washers, bolts and things like circlips which I have never found.

Love this, I have exactly the same grin

|

UK Vet rider - 2020 KX450

9/16/2020 12:48 PM

Falcon wrote:

I don't have a story about a specific part, but I do know there's a black hole that resides somewhere on my garage floor. Every part, tool, or coin I drop is inexorably drawn to this region of space where all things are gobbled up. I try to watch where the parts go, but they go behind my stand or a parked bike and never return out the other side. You have to figure they rolled to a stop just out of view and would be right there on the garage floor when you go look, right? Nope. Gone.

Move the bike stand and roll the bike out of the garage. Not there.
Lift the couch I have in the garage. Not under there.
Under the fridge stand? Nope.
15 feet away, under the workbench, even though it was rolling the other way? Nope. Of course not. I checked, though.
In the expansion joints of the concrete? Nope.
Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Is it blending into the concrete? Get on hands & knees to put my eye on ground level. Nope.
Hell, did it bounce just right and get kicked out of the garage? Nope, not on the driveway, in the gutter, or down the street.

Gone. There are several washers, bolts and things like circlips which I have never found.

Grovesy98 wrote:

Love this, I have exactly the same grin


Haha - its like the magic coffee table



|

9/16/2020 12:57 PM

I was 15 and we had some dirt jumps a couple house away in a empty lot. Needless to say, we all hung out at my garage When we weren’t riding. My dad had just bought a new set of renthal grips that mysteriously disappeared. We were immediately blamed and banished from the garage for a good few months. My dads argument being “those grips didn’t just grow legs and walk away”! Three years later, my parents sold the house and we’re moving. As we’re packing, we find a nice little mouse nest built out of straw, newspaper and renthal 50/50 grips. It was sweet but short lived vindication.

|

9/16/2020 1:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/16/2020 1:28 PM

Rebuilding a CR500 motor, late friday night, all going well, get it in the frame, all fluids in, ready to fire it up, hook clutch back up and nothing.. strip clutch to find no push rod.. search garage to to bottom, no push rod. 2 hours we looked for.

We give up , and when my dad takes off his overall, the thing is in the ruler pocket on the side of his leg.

Same bike, we were going to change the needle setting, but rather than lose the thing outside, trying to refit the clip, i come in the house, needle between thumb and forefinger of one hand, clip same in the other... except when i got there it is gone. My girlfriend found it 3 hours later , after crawling round the lawn i had walked across, with a torch and magnet... she reminds me every so often. Usually on our wedding anniversary

|

9/16/2020 1:25 PM

Many years ago I had a Sony transistor radio in my garage. One day I couldn’t find it. Looked everywhere. It had gone.

Blamed my brother for stealing it.

Months later I moved a pile of tyres which I had stored on top of my industrial, paraffin-powered steam cleaner. Found the radio - which I had evidently balanced on the tyres - down inside the exhaust outlet.

It was a mangled, twisted, melted chunk of plastic.

I pressed what was left of the ‘on’ button and it still worked. Couldn’t change the tuning or volume, but other than that it was fine.

|

9/16/2020 9:27 PM

Once went to load up my CR125 to go to a race and noticed the oil filler cap was gone! But I was in a hurry to get to the race and loaded it up and took off in my truck, wondering the whole way how I was going to fix this.
I get to he track and I'm sitting there staring at the bike trying to figure how to fabricate an oil fill cap and I notice I had left it sitting in the footpeg. It had survived the whole load-up and trip to the track, sitting there in the peg. I put it back in and went and raced.
Funny how tiny things can turn into big problems on race day.

|