Offroad Factory KTM driver killed in Cycling Accident - RIP Dale Cooke

Roostermx58
5/31/2017 7:47am Edited Date/Time 6/2/2017 9:17am
Please keep Dale Cooke in your prayers as he was seriously injured when a car struck him while on his bicycle in North Carolina.

A man was seriously injured when the bicycle he was riding was hit by a car early Monday night on N.C. 268 in the Goshen community about three miles west of Wilkesboro, reported Trooper Z.M. Jennings of the N.C. Highway Patrol.

Leonard Dale Cooke Jr., 57, was taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem by Wilkes Emergency Medical Services. Goshen Fire Department first responders assisted.
Jennings said family members told him Cooke suffered a broken leg, broken ribs and internal injuries. He had multiple surgeries at Baptist.

Cooke was riding a Trek trail bicycle west on the highway about 6:30 p.m. when he was struck from behind by James Terrell Smith, 60, of Lenoir, driver of a 2008 Nissan, Jennings said.

Smith told the trooper that he didn’t see the cyclist prior to the collision. Jennings noted that neither impairment or excessive speed were factors in the wreck. Smith was charged with reckless driving.

http://www.journalpatriot.com/news/man-seriously-injured-when-car-hits-…
|
Johnny Depp
5/31/2017 8:09am
Prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Bicycles lose the battle with cars every time.
Bolt-On
Fantasy
1106th
5/31/2017 8:26am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 8:31am
Cookie is a great guy and someone I, along with many others, have considered a friend for a long time, even before he drove the orange truck. He's a tough guy though and anyone who knows him will tell you that he'll fight on towards a full and speedy recovery.

Really unfortunate accident and I feel like we as a society can do much better to prevent these kinds of accidents from happening while driving.
Ing
5/31/2017 8:56am
Prayers. Damn car drivers.
Acidreamer
5/31/2017 9:07am
I think everyone should spend a set amount of hours on a bike or motorcycle before they can drive a car so they understand the feeling of having zero protection against tons of metal coming at you at speed. Maybe they will learn to pay attention. Im beyond tired of seeing bikers getting hit by cars. Driving is literally the easiest thing to do in the world and people cant do it. I dont get it.

The Shop

Xeno
5/31/2017 9:20am
Cookie is an awesome guy. I hope and pray for a quick and complete recovery.
Mini Elsinore
5/31/2017 9:44am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2017 9:45am
Acidreamer wrote:
I think everyone should spend a set amount of hours on a bike or motorcycle before they can drive a car so they understand the feeling...
I think everyone should spend a set amount of hours on a bike or motorcycle before they can drive a car so they understand the feeling of having zero protection against tons of metal coming at you at speed. Maybe they will learn to pay attention. Im beyond tired of seeing bikers getting hit by cars. Driving is literally the easiest thing to do in the world and people cant do it. I dont get it.
^^^this^^^
Feeling the vulnerability of your 'six' a few times will teach one to respect the dynamics of the road.

RIP Motor Officer Chris Carnejo (LAPD)---you never saw that doped-up bitch coming up your ass. Remembered....
IWreckALot
5/31/2017 10:42am
Acidreamer wrote:
I think everyone should spend a set amount of hours on a bike or motorcycle before they can drive a car so they understand the feeling...
^^^this^^^ Feeling the vulnerability of your 'six' a few times will teach one to respect the dynamics of the road. RIP Motor Officer Chris Carnejo (LAPD)---you...
^^^this^^^
Feeling the vulnerability of your 'six' a few times will teach one to respect the dynamics of the road.

RIP Motor Officer Chris Carnejo (LAPD)---you never saw that doped-up bitch coming up your ass. Remembered....
Very rarely will I fidget with my phone while driving anymore. You can't drive down the highway without seeing at least 50% of the people around you texting or fucking with their phone somehow. Can't wait till it's illegal everywhere to phone and drive.
Roostermx58
5/31/2017 11:16am
IWreckALot wrote:
Very rarely will I fidget with my phone while driving anymore. You can't drive down the highway without seeing at least 50% of the people around...
Very rarely will I fidget with my phone while driving anymore. You can't drive down the highway without seeing at least 50% of the people around you texting or fucking with their phone somehow. Can't wait till it's illegal everywhere to phone and drive.
Unfortunately I don't think making it illegal will stop these incidents from occurring or from drivers who don't think whatever they are responding to can wait. But it will be a start. There should be massive penalties (huuuuge fines or jail time) for offenders.
5/31/2017 12:06pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Very rarely will I fidget with my phone while driving anymore. You can't drive down the highway without seeing at least 50% of the people around...
Unfortunately I don't think making it illegal will stop these incidents from occurring or from drivers who don't think whatever they are responding to can wait...
Unfortunately I don't think making it illegal will stop these incidents from occurring or from drivers who don't think whatever they are responding to can wait. But it will be a start. There should be massive penalties (huuuuge fines or jail time) for offenders.
Yea, I'd much rather face off with a 40 year old stoner than a 19 year old texter anyday.
There is no way in Hades I would put myself in that situation on a bicycle.
It would be putting your 12 year old son on the field with NFL players.

Prayers sent for a speedy recovery.
MX Guy
Fantasy
773rd
5/31/2017 12:14pm
Can't stand the way people drive. Just can't stand it.
Xeno
5/31/2017 12:42pm
Just so it's clear to everyone- Dale Cooke drives the KTM rig to all the GNCC events.
Roostermx58
6/1/2017 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2017 6:01pm
Dale Cooke "Cookie" has gone to be with the Lord in heaven this afternoon. Prayers to his family during this tough time.
6/1/2017 7:44pm
RIP Cookie. Hearing about stuff like this is getting old. I didn't know Dale Cooke but it bums me out to read that he passed. Rest easy.
jeffro503
6/1/2017 8:07pm
I did not know Dale ,But my thoughts are with his family and friends. Damn this has been a rough month.
moto9
6/1/2017 8:25pm
What a bummer.
I have been hit by a car "twice" while road biking, which is why I won't road ride ever again.
People just don't see bicyclist and motorcycles for that matter.
I switched to mountain biking only, definatly feel safer.
logan_140
6/1/2017 10:48pm
Acidreamer wrote:
^^^this^^^ Feeling the vulnerability of your 'six' a few times will teach one to respect the dynamics of the road. RIP Motor Officer Chris Carnejo (LAPD)---you...
^^^this^^^

IWreckALot wrote:
I drive on i4 every day (has been named the deadliest interstate in America before) it's absolutely insane how many people are on their phones! Over half! One time this Mom was in a mini van with her kids fucking around on her phone and just about rolled the damn thing. After all got back to normal she got right back on that phone. Unbelievable!
lumpy790
6/2/2017 9:10am
Sad we have lost another to road bicycling.
PRM31
6/2/2017 9:24am
Sad to hear.

The thought of road cycling with texting drivers is not appealing.
Camp332
6/2/2017 9:39am
Geez man. Rest In Peace, Dale. Thoughts and prayers going up!

twizzler
6/13/2017 11:07am
I knew Dale, gave him a ride from John Wayne Airport to a hotel in San Clemente when he was working as a helper to GNCC racer that was riding for JCR and Honda a few short years ago. Made a friend that day in Dale, followed him on Instagram and we traded comments every now and then. Great guy well liked by many. I too am a road cyclist and it's tough to go out and ride now knowing that another driver struck and killed another cyclist, but this one I knew. But Cookie never let anything stop him from doing anything, so I got back on my bike and road again for Cookie who was one tough cookie!
bh84
Fantasy
1853rd
6/13/2017 12:19pm
Wow, just wow, I ride my motorcycle to work when the weather is nice enough and I've nearly been taken out a few times, I can't imagine dealing with it when people are passing you. Brutal.

RIP Dale

Post a reply to: Offroad Factory KTM driver killed in Cycling Accident - RIP Dale Cooke

The Latest