Official - Ryan Dungey Coming Out of Retirement!

bens152
4/29/2022 11:49pm
kpiper wrote:
Canard should race too then. Why not.

You would think this means Webb is out.
Haha, he’s testing for Honda.

STAMP IT!
#2stroke
4/30/2022 12:12am
Yamaha should wheel out RV’s bike out under the tent first round with his gear all out and ready.

Keep Dungey on his toes.
Motofinne
4/30/2022 2:12am
This is so awesome! Having AC222 and Dungey out there will make this summers racing, no matter how they do. Two of the best ever, true legends.
Richy
4/30/2022 2:12am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2022 2:14am
If Webb bails out, will Carlos be Dungey's wrench?
Wouldn't he get his brother spannering for him or do they not work like that?

The Shop

kawasa84
4/30/2022 2:17am
I'm glad to hear this. He'll be in the top 10 for sure. At 32 yrs, he's younger than some in SX this season.
How bad is Webb? Is he looking at surgery after SX?
motomike137
4/30/2022 3:09am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2022 3:11am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Dungey has 39 career 450 MX national wins. I would say he was/is plenty fast. For comparison, Tomac has 27 career 450 MX wins and he's...
Dungey has 39 career 450 MX national wins. I would say he was/is plenty fast.

For comparison, Tomac has 27 career 450 MX wins and he's been in the class longer than Dungey. Obviously it's fair to say he'll get more wins, but to say Dungey only won because he was consistent is not accurate.

I don't think anyone is saying he'll win, but there's no reason to believe he can't battle for top 5's if he's ready. I think it all depends on how much he's willing to push it.

He's a multi-time champ. I would assume he knows what he's getting himself into. Lap times late last year were apparently on par with some of the fastest guys.
The whole "consistency" argument with Dungey is ridiculous. RD was FAST! That said I see him somewhere in the top ten but I don't see him getting on the podium.

As someone else mentioned Yamaha should prep a bike for RV just for kicks Wink
chrisgg90
Fantasy
1815th
4/30/2022 3:23am
I love that KTM are that confident in the current crop of riders, that they are bringing the old guard out of retirement to save their season 👍🏻 Can’t wait to see TC222 & RD5 on the line.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
4/30/2022 3:33am
kpiper wrote:
Canard should race too then. Why not.

You would think this means Webb is out.
bens152 wrote:
Haha, he’s testing for Honda.

STAMP IT!
Honda tried to get him out of retirement a couple years ago because his lap times were still on par, but he said no.
Jeremy A.K.
4/30/2022 4:14am
chrisgg90 wrote:
I love that KTM are that confident in the current crop of riders, that they are bringing the old guard out of retirement to save their...
I love that KTM are that confident in the current crop of riders, that they are bringing the old guard out of retirement to save their season 👍🏻 Can’t wait to see TC222 & RD5 on the line.
Can you name one rider currently on a KTM that could break the top 5 outdoors and is willing to show up and race?
4/30/2022 4:37am
Personally I don’t think he has the speed to hang with tomac or ando/cairoli. He should have everyone else covered and we all know there’s no one that can podium the shit out of a championship like the dunge can. Having said that tomacs long game has improved greatly. I honestly thought tomac was going to stomp everyone outdoors but now I think he should be a bit concerned…..just a bit
midwestmoto
4/30/2022 5:10am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2022 5:11am
I'd guess there's a 50/50 chance he races the entire season.

I think Dungey has had the itch to race again for awhile now which is why he was trying to return to the sport a year or two ago when he was looking for a team/support. (Can't remember when that discussion was happening).

That was only a year (or two) ago and from my understanding, that was Dungey going out of his way looking for a full time/season ride rather than just a couple rounds. That tells me at that time he felt he could still be competitive.

For whatever reason, he was unable to secure a ride then. Not to mention, a lot of people didn't think it was a good idea for him to come out of retirement. I'm sure he disagreed with some of the nay sayers and was bummed out that he was unable to return.

This left a desire and brief chapter of his life unfulfilled. Also, the amount of people who disagreed and told him not to come back could of impacted his confidence and now he's left unsure if it was a good idea to return or not.

What's going on now turned into the perfect opportunity for Dungey to have exactly what he was looking for then but with the added benefit of having no expectations and only commiting to two rounds. That will give him the chance to get his feet wet and see where he stands.

I would expect that if the first two rounds go well, he will be glad to stick it out for the entire season. If things don't go as planned and he's unhappy with where he's finishing then he can make his exit without letting anyone down.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Dungey running top 5 and even better if he sticks around for the season.

I'm sure he's aware of his laptimes and endurance has never been an issue. If he was way off the pace I don't think he'd be coming back. I could see the first two races going a little rough just getting use to the pace, heart rate, etc. again but knock those cobwebs out and I think we could see a familiar Dungey by mid season.

mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
4/30/2022 5:21am
lostboy819 wrote:
Dungey was a great champion but he won by being consistent and he was never the dominant fast rider but he was always in the top...
Dungey was a great champion but he won by being consistent and he was never the dominant fast rider but he was always in the top 3-5 but you cant sit on the sideline for 5 or 6 years and then think you can come and win at the highest level, not gonna happen. I would bet money he will finish just inside the top 10 but I doubt much higher. Name a rider who retired and sat out 5 years and came back and was a top 3 finisher. I bet you could put McGrath on a practice SX track and he would turn lap times right up there but no way he's going to run them for a complete race. NO one has ever got faster sitting on the sidelines for 5 or more years. All Dungey got from sitting out 5 years is he's 5 years older and I am sure still as smart so he wont do anything stupid.
Huh How does someone who was "never the dominant fast rider but was always in the top 3-5" become 3rd on the all time wins list? 2nd if you remove 125/250f wins? Unreal
keinz
4/30/2022 6:49am
Villo just took his shirt off
Flatliner
4/30/2022 6:54am
lostboy819 wrote:
Dungey was a great champion but he won by being consistent and he was never the dominant fast rider but he was always in the top...
Dungey was a great champion but he won by being consistent and he was never the dominant fast rider but he was always in the top 3-5 but you cant sit on the sideline for 5 or 6 years and then think you can come and win at the highest level, not gonna happen. I would bet money he will finish just inside the top 10 but I doubt much higher. Name a rider who retired and sat out 5 years and came back and was a top 3 finisher. I bet you could put McGrath on a practice SX track and he would turn lap times right up there but no way he's going to run them for a complete race. NO one has ever got faster sitting on the sidelines for 5 or more years. All Dungey got from sitting out 5 years is he's 5 years older and I am sure still as smart so he wont do anything stupid.
mimafia wrote:
:huh: How does someone who was "never the dominant fast rider but was always in the top 3-5" become 3rd on the all time wins list...
Huh How does someone who was "never the dominant fast rider but was always in the top 3-5" become 3rd on the all time wins list? 2nd if you remove 125/250f wins? Unreal
Its just a silly narrative thrown out about him.

To my knowledge the 2017 sx title was the only time he won the championship without the most wins in a given series as well.
Gravel
4/30/2022 6:59am
#5 and #222 joining the outdoors is awesome!

Pretty amazing what KTM can do when the win bonus/ championship bonus money doesn’t get spent for the SX season. Like everything, it all comes back to the dollar, and I think this is a GREAT use of leftover racing budget!
jjavaman
Fantasy
3755th
4/30/2022 7:11am
lostboy819 wrote:
mimafia wrote:
:huh: How does someone who was "never the dominant fast rider but was always in the top 3-5" become 3rd on the all time wins list...
Cause it’s cool to bash one of the all time greats🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
mxb2
4/30/2022 7:13am
Going to be funny when he beats Webb.
Funny,. Webbs not racing outdoors. Of course his results will be better
karsmakers
4/30/2022 7:38am
Some things to consider. The first outdoor race is less than a month away. Carioli and DF have been riding outdoors only for some time now and will be ready to go. Tomac is focused on Supercross and may be behind a bit on setup etc. Every year a lot of riders struggle early on until they get their bike setup and outdoor fitness figured out. I don't know how long Dungey has been preparing and where he is at with the bike and fitness. I think AC and DF are going to do really early but we will not see most riders true speed until were several rounds in.
DonM
4/30/2022 7:55am
keinz wrote:
Villo just took his shirt off
Looks in the mirror and puts his shirt back on....
Teejay
Fantasy
889th
4/30/2022 8:05am
Anyone else ready to just wrap sx up and just crack on with the outdoors?
keinz
4/30/2022 8:34am
Dungey was retired for five years, and Tony is five years older than RD. How crazy is thatSmile
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
4/30/2022 8:43am
keinz wrote:
Dungey was retired for five years, and Tony is five years older than RD. How crazy is thatSmile
Time goes by fast.
4/30/2022 9:37am
Was watching old races the other day to get excited for the outdoors. John Dowd at 44 years old made the podium with a 3rd overall at Southwick in 2009 but the 2nd most winning rider of all time is going to struggle to top 10. Interesting......
TalinH112
4/30/2022 9:47am
It is not ridiculous to think a retired Champion who has had nothing to do but ride and test outdoors for who knows how long can do well against a bunch of guys coming of supercross for the last 17 weeks. 🤷🏻
4/30/2022 9:55am
mxb2 wrote:
Funny,. Webbs not racing outdoors. Of course his results will be better
Really? Webbs not racing outdoors? Why not?
Forty
4/30/2022 9:56am
VetRider97 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2022/04/30/546926/s1200_Off_road_motorcycle_you_dont_stop_riding_when_you_get_old_poster_A1.jpg[/img]

Want this.
DKmxFAN
4/30/2022 10:00am
TXDirt wrote:
Top 10.

If he made top five it would be a miracle. He hasn’t raced in 5 years.
agn5008 wrote:
I agree with top 10… but I wouldn’t consider top 5 a “miracle.” He’s one of the best racers to ever live.
Agree this is Ryan dungey. Dude will get top 5 on fitness alone.

Post a reply to: Official - Ryan Dungey Coming Out of Retirement!

The Latest