Official - Ryan Dungey Coming Out of Retirement!

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/29/2022 4:49pm
lostboy819 wrote:
You cant quit and sit out for 5 years and then come back and run up front at the top level of the sport, not gonna...
You cant quit and sit out for 5 years and then come back and run up front at the top level of the sport, not gonna happen. I think KTM is grasping at straws to get some bikes on the track and this is more of just a feel good story than a serious attempt at running up front at the nationals. Would rather see Herlings out there and glad Tony will hit a few but anyone who thinks Dungey has a chance at winning is delusional and that may include both Dungey and KTM. But then again I said Dungey would never win on a KTM so I am wrong quite a bit too.
Brad460 wrote:
They didn’t just sign him up for a factory ride without knowing his exact speed right now via lap time comparisons..You think?
Speed is the easy part but you got to push hard the whole moto. Colin Kaepernick says he can still be a starting quarterback in the NFL but we all know it aint true. Dungey was a great champion but that was a long time ago and you dont just jump back into it at that pace after being retired that long.
jonesaustin
4/29/2022 4:57pm
We don’t want him to get hurt. Family, I dunno. I worry about it, but it is a cool update.
Spoonguy
4/29/2022 5:21pm
Good grief. Pro mx history is littered with past pros retiring and coming back. It hasn't worked yet. I hope AC and Dungey stay safe are happy with 8-15 results. Top five would be great! That being said they are two of the greatest bike racers to ever live - in their day. On a side note, is KTM running out of people who want to race the new bike? Results have not been great....
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
4/29/2022 5:23pm
lostboy819 wrote:
You cant quit and sit out for 5 years and then come back and run up front at the top level of the sport, not gonna...
You cant quit and sit out for 5 years and then come back and run up front at the top level of the sport, not gonna happen. I think KTM is grasping at straws to get some bikes on the track and this is more of just a feel good story than a serious attempt at running up front at the nationals. Would rather see Herlings out there and glad Tony will hit a few but anyone who thinks Dungey has a chance at winning is delusional and that may include both Dungey and KTM. But then again I said Dungey would never win on a KTM so I am wrong quite a bit too.
Brad460 wrote:
They didn’t just sign him up for a factory ride without knowing his exact speed right now via lap time comparisons..You think?
lostboy819 wrote:
Speed is the easy part but you got to push hard the whole moto. Colin Kaepernick says he can still be a starting quarterback in the...
Speed is the easy part but you got to push hard the whole moto. Colin Kaepernick says he can still be a starting quarterback in the NFL but we all know it aint true. Dungey was a great champion but that was a long time ago and you dont just jump back into it at that pace after being retired that long.
Difference is Kaepernick wasn’t even a top 20 QB. He was a backup. So if he came back 5 years later all you have is a backup or worse. He’s not gonna be better. Dungey was one of the best. It’s not unrealistic to think he can come back and finish inside the top 10.

The Shop

Ranman68
4/29/2022 5:34pm
I don't think Dungey would do this if he didn't believe he could do well. No doubt he's practicing and no doubt he has a general idea of where he's at in speed compared to today's field. Of course racing is different, but I would guess the dude has ridden with some guys (maybe one or two of the boys on the Australian brand(s), and has an idea of where he's at. Since he is giving it a go, he probably has the speed to be competitive at least. As far as stamina, I can't fathom him being anywhere near where he was when he was racing, but I guess he feels he has enough, so we shall see. I'm excited to see him and Cairoli line up for at least a couple of rounds.
Jeremy A.K.
4/29/2022 5:37pm
Spoonguy wrote:
Good grief. Pro mx history is littered with past pros retiring and coming back. It hasn't worked yet. I hope AC and Dungey stay safe are...
Good grief. Pro mx history is littered with past pros retiring and coming back. It hasn't worked yet. I hope AC and Dungey stay safe are happy with 8-15 results. Top five would be great! That being said they are two of the greatest bike racers to ever live - in their day. On a side note, is KTM running out of people who want to race the new bike? Results have not been great....
Top 5 isnt good enough for you ? What's your best finish outdoors?
wr74
4/29/2022 5:38pm
I really don’t know where the Dunge will finish, but I am amazed at how people think ac 222 is going to be 5-10. He raced a full season of mxgp last year. He is barely retired. He will be contending for podiums and wins.
JB 19
4/29/2022 6:32pm
I think a return out of retirement mostly depends on the commitment of the racer. If the guy is fit and willing to go fast he should be competitive. Maybe 3rd-8th. Chad Reed won SX's at 32.

If you're just there for the fun, you're not going to compete with the guys who are there acting like their next meal depends on it.
bens152
4/29/2022 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 6:33pm
I guess he will be well prepared and is only focused on outdoors. They guys have just finished a gnarly super cross season. So could be caught off guard by a veteran who only knows winning and running up front. He could do quite well. I’m not talking wins, but good consistent points. Who knows, you know he will be fit.
stantdm
4/29/2022 6:41pm
I have always thought that part of why RD5 retired was because of the crash at Lakewood. He lucked out on that crash, was recently married, and saw the writing on the wall. I hope he does okay on this two race attempt and above all, I hope he doesn't get hurt.

wb173
4/29/2022 6:51pm
Coach529 wrote:
Seems like a lot of work for only 2 rounds for both KTM and Ryan.
LOL. Having Cairoli and Dungey on the gate for rounds 1 & 2 = priceless. If they both finish top 5?!?!?! Man talk about a buzz...
LOL. Having Cairoli and Dungey on the gate for rounds 1 & 2 = priceless. If they both finish top 5?!?!?! Man talk about a buzz in the KTM pits. It will have felt like no work at all.

Hammer 663s
How's the kid in Sacramento doing?
USA
Fantasy
507th
4/29/2022 6:53pm
Bradshaw pulled out a win at High Point '97 after coming back from a lengthy retirement; that's the most success a returning retired rider has had that I can pull right now.
wb173
4/29/2022 6:57pm
mtl wrote:
One question that comes to mind is what does this mean for the #25?
gt80rider wrote:
Seems they would rather have Dungey race than Marvin..... typical KTM thinking.. LOL
DonM wrote:
Nice cast....just shows how clueless you are...
No wonder you attract trolls... throw the first stone...
wb173
4/29/2022 6:59pm
Timo wrote:
He got 13th, that seems pretty respectable considering it was a new bike, he was 4 years retired, and it was a one off race...
He was expecting better than 13th, I promise. RV ain’t lifting his head off the pillow for 13th
DonM wrote:
And to say that RV was as prepared as RD is going to be is laughable....you really can't set your expectations of Dungey based on what...
And to say that RV was as prepared as RD is going to be is laughable....you really can't set your expectations of Dungey based on what RV did for a one off race...
Thanks swapjr.
DonM
4/29/2022 7:01pm
gt80rider wrote:
Seems they would rather have Dungey race than Marvin..... typical KTM thinking.. LOL
DonM wrote:
Nice cast....just shows how clueless you are...
wb173 wrote:
No wonder you attract trolls... throw the first stone...
"This Aggression Will Not Stand, Man."
DonM
4/29/2022 7:02pm
He was expecting better than 13th, I promise. RV ain’t lifting his head off the pillow for 13th
DonM wrote:
And to say that RV was as prepared as RD is going to be is laughable....you really can't set your expectations of Dungey based on what...
And to say that RV was as prepared as RD is going to be is laughable....you really can't set your expectations of Dungey based on what RV did for a one off race...
wb173 wrote:
Thanks swapjr.
“Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.”
mxfuture
4/29/2022 7:15pm
Helping with testing? Lame only 2 rounds.😑
jeffro503
4/29/2022 7:55pm
Wow , holy sheep balls!! 12 hour day at work , tired , miserable....and then I see this. Just put a huge smile on my face. How freakin' awesome is this !!??
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
4/29/2022 8:16pm
Brad460 wrote:
lostboy819 wrote:
Speed is the easy part but you got to push hard the whole moto. Colin Kaepernick says he can still be a starting quarterback in the...
agn5008 wrote:
Difference is Kaepernick wasn’t even a top 20 QB. He was a backup. So if he came back 5 years later all you have is a...
Difference is Kaepernick wasn’t even a top 20 QB. He was a backup. So if he came back 5 years later all you have is a backup or worse. He’s not gonna be better. Dungey was one of the best. It’s not unrealistic to think he can come back and finish inside the top 10.
Dungey was a great champion but he won by being consistent and he was never the dominant fast rider but he was always in the top 3-5 but you cant sit on the sideline for 5 or 6 years and then think you can come and win at the highest level, not gonna happen. I would bet money he will finish just inside the top 10 but I doubt much higher. Name a rider who retired and sat out 5 years and came back and was a top 3 finisher. I bet you could put McGrath on a practice SX track and he would turn lap times right up there but no way he's going to run them for a complete race. NO one has ever got faster sitting on the sidelines for 5 or more years. All Dungey got from sitting out 5 years is he's 5 years older and I am sure still as smart so he wont do anything stupid.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3906th
4/29/2022 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 8:43pm
I’m going to hold off on making any stamp it predictions but I wouldn’t go underestimating Dungey if he decides to stay out there and get all the rust and first race jitters off.
No one on the gate can match his credentials ( except Tony) so it will be very interesting to see what he can do 5 years later.
Like it was mentioned earlier he’s not the type to half ass it. He’ll be ready.
Camp332
4/29/2022 8:50pm
Not sure if he lifts or not, but if he does, definitely smokes 10th place Bro.
Forty
4/29/2022 8:57pm
He will beat Barcia, so 6th or 7th.

Awesome news.

I'll be in CO for some MTB in June, hope RD hangs on and does the Colorado round.
Johnny Ringo
4/29/2022 8:59pm
Timo wrote:
He got 13th, that seems pretty respectable considering it was a new bike, he was 4 years retired, and it was a one off race...
DonM wrote:
Press release says Dunge is only doing the first two…so it’s close to the same thing
peelout
4/29/2022 9:16pm
Camp332 wrote:
Not sure if he lifts or not, but if he does, definitely smokes 10th place Bro.
legs 3 days a week, bro

kpiper
4/29/2022 9:19pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2022 9:20pm
Canard should race too then. Why not.

You would think this means Webb is out.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
4/29/2022 10:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/30/2022 5:55am
lostboy819 wrote:
agn5008 wrote:
Difference is Kaepernick wasn’t even a top 20 QB. He was a backup. So if he came back 5 years later all you have is a...
lostboy819 wrote:
Dungey was a great champion but he won by being consistent and he was never the dominant fast rider but he was always in the top...
Dungey was a great champion but he won by being consistent and he was never the dominant fast rider but he was always in the top 3-5 but you cant sit on the sideline for 5 or 6 years and then think you can come and win at the highest level, not gonna happen. I would bet money he will finish just inside the top 10 but I doubt much higher. Name a rider who retired and sat out 5 years and came back and was a top 3 finisher. I bet you could put McGrath on a practice SX track and he would turn lap times right up there but no way he's going to run them for a complete race. NO one has ever got faster sitting on the sidelines for 5 or more years. All Dungey got from sitting out 5 years is he's 5 years older and I am sure still as smart so he wont do anything stupid.
Dungey has 39 career 450 MX national wins. I would say he was/is plenty fast.

For comparison, Tomac has 27 career 450 MX wins and he's been in the class longer than Dungey. Obviously it's fair to say he'll get more wins, but to say Dungey only won because he was consistent is not accurate.

I don't think anyone is saying he'll win, but there's no reason to believe he can't battle for top 5's if he's ready. I think it all depends on how much he's willing to push it.

He's a multi-time champ. I would assume he knows what he's getting himself into. Lap times late last year were apparently on par with some of the fastest guys.

Post a reply to: Official - Ryan Dungey Coming Out of Retirement!

The Latest