Off season workouts

First off I know this has probably been covered a million times and I didn't get good search results so I apologize. But could any of you guys give me any tips for working out and getting back in shape during the winter? I've got my membership at the local YMCA and plan to go there 3-5 times a week. I've never really followed a routine I've just done random workouts before. But I'm looking for something that will help with riding. I know cardio and core strength is very important. What workouts could I do? How many reps? Lighter or heavier weight? How often? What supplements to take or not to take? I figured somebody on here has to have a good working system
|
12/20/2016 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2016 1:33pm
From K-Roc's trainer.

http://www.strongfirst.com/training-the-endurance-athlete/

Having personally coached at a Crossfit gym for 5 years, raced at a high level on Mountain bikes and having a big background in Moto, I really see eye to eye with this.

You dont need high intensity all the time and sometimes you need to slow down to go fast. Some people are such a wreck hormonally from lack of sleep, stress and poor nutrition in our society that going the "high intensity" approach will only dig a deeper hole and pre-dispose yourself to fat gain, lower testosterone and burnout. Ive seen in first hand in both Crossfit/MTB racing.

Lift some weights. Move slow for as long as time permits (I snowshoe in the winter and love it). Eat well. Sleep as much as you can. When riding season is a month or two away, ramp up the intensity with some intervals on a bike/rower/running.
dan586
12/20/2016 1:17pm
How far out of shape are you? What are your weaknesses? Those are important to identify before trying to formulate a plan. I recall Coach Seiji giving the nod to Insanity on the PulpMX show for its effectiveness for the average Joe without a trainer. I am normally on the edge of vomiting after one of those videos.
12/20/2016 2:47pm
Crossfit scares me, If your form isn't perfect expect to blow out some joints
12/20/2016 3:27pm
dan586 wrote:
How far out of shape are you? What are your weaknesses? Those are important to identify before trying to formulate a plan. I recall Coach Seiji...
How far out of shape are you? What are your weaknesses? Those are important to identify before trying to formulate a plan. I recall Coach Seiji giving the nod to Insanity on the PulpMX show for its effectiveness for the average Joe without a trainer. I am normally on the edge of vomiting after one of those videos.
I wouldn't say I'm really far out of shape I'm just not where I would like to be. I haven't rode in 2 months (Ohio weather) and it's starting to show. During riding season I'm pretty active with working outside and things like that but now it's cold and snowy so obviously I can't ride.

The Shop

Pirate421
12/20/2016 3:39pm
So I broke down and paid for the RacerX virtual trainer and for $20 a month I feel like it's helped me. I have a crossfit gym at work and have never had a problem working out but I wanted more mx structured workouts. There are a ton of plans to choose from and I get an email everyday with my workout. I feel I do better when I have a structured workout planned out for me. I'm on the weekend warrior schedule and it's. been working so far.
12/20/2016 4:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/20/2016 4:40pm
I've been trying to focus on my leg strength because I'm usually sitting down a lot by the time the second or third lap rolls around. I've been doing a lot of squat activities, and time on the exercise bike and stair master at my gym. The stair master will kick your ass if you try to do it for just 20 minutes even.

Presley155
12/20/2016 4:56pm
If you want to build functional strength and get a great cardio workout at the same time, it's hard to beat kettlebells. Check this link for great kettlebell workouts and tons of info;

https://www.onnit.com/academy/kettlebell/

The great thing about kettlebells is the simplicity. You don't need a ton of different equipment. Get yourself a few different weights and go for it.
12/20/2016 5:32pm
Pirate421 wrote:
So I broke down and paid for the RacerX virtual trainer and for $20 a month I feel like it's helped me. I have a crossfit...
So I broke down and paid for the RacerX virtual trainer and for $20 a month I feel like it's helped me. I have a crossfit gym at work and have never had a problem working out but I wanted more mx structured workouts. There are a ton of plans to choose from and I get an email everyday with my workout. I feel I do better when I have a structured workout planned out for me. I'm on the weekend warrior schedule and it's. been working so far.
That sounds like an awesome idea. I'm going to look into this.
Pirate421
12/20/2016 5:57pm
Pirate421 wrote:
So I broke down and paid for the RacerX virtual trainer and for $20 a month I feel like it's helped me. I have a crossfit...
That sounds like an awesome idea. I'm going to look into this.
Has definitely worked for me they give two different workout options such as traditional weight room or TRX bands. Cardio is rowing, running, cycling. There is a progression also, the first month of the program you work out in high reps and stretching, cardio core and then as the weeks go in the reps and weight change. It's a really easy to use program and I look forward to working out everyday because I don't have to worry about coming up with a workout and I'm making progress. You can track workouts through training peaks app which I guess Olympic and sports teams use for data but I don't get that crazy, if you're into tracking every aspect of your workout though it's cool. And included in the price
j368
12/20/2016 6:16pm
I've been trying to focus on my leg strength because I'm usually sitting down a lot by the time the second or third lap rolls around...
I've been trying to focus on my leg strength because I'm usually sitting down a lot by the time the second or third lap rolls around. I've been doing a lot of squat activities, and time on the exercise bike and stair master at my gym. The stair master will kick your ass if you try to do it for just 20 minutes even.

The Stair Master is excellent for training. If you want to take it to the next level, wear a 20 pound weighted vest and go for 10 mins to start. Try to work up to 20 mins.
Steadman
12/20/2016 6:22pm
From K-Roc's trainer. http://www.strongfirst.com/training-the-endurance-athlete/ Having personally coached at a Crossfit gym for 5 years, raced at a high level on Mountain bikes and having a big...
From K-Roc's trainer.

http://www.strongfirst.com/training-the-endurance-athlete/

Having personally coached at a Crossfit gym for 5 years, raced at a high level on Mountain bikes and having a big background in Moto, I really see eye to eye with this.

You dont need high intensity all the time and sometimes you need to slow down to go fast. Some people are such a wreck hormonally from lack of sleep, stress and poor nutrition in our society that going the "high intensity" approach will only dig a deeper hole and pre-dispose yourself to fat gain, lower testosterone and burnout. Ive seen in first hand in both Crossfit/MTB racing.

Lift some weights. Move slow for as long as time permits (I snowshoe in the winter and love it). Eat well. Sleep as much as you can. When riding season is a month or two away, ramp up the intensity with some intervals on a bike/rower/running.
Thanks for passing this along. Between what you said and what I read in the article gives me a better idea on what I should be doing. Appreciate it!
ama530
12/20/2016 7:58pm
I am an engineer but my wife has a Masters in Exercise Science and has been personal training for about 10 years now. I chatted about this with her and I think it depends also on your body type. Mesomorph, Ectomorph, or Endomorph. Each one requires a different workout approach. An Endomorph (Large boned and usually a slower metabolism) will require more cardio and less low rep strength exercises. An Ectomorph (usually a very fast metabolism and on the thin side) would require a workout program more oriented around building muscle and strength. AKA Adam Cianciarulo. Our motos on an amateur level are not that long that we need excessive cardio levels. Muscle strength is very important for injury prevention and overall health. It also makes every day tasks that much easier. I am turning 50 and it really is an advantage to be in good shape and strong. I know there has been allot of talk regarding "certain" mx trainers not knowing what they are doing. If that approach works for some, fine. But it doesn't work for everyone. If you are like Adam C., Blake Bagget, etc... doing cardio is not the way to go. They need a body building workout and a few protein shakes a day to put some meat on them. These guys look like clothing hangers that fold up like tin foil when they hit the ground. They have no muscle mass to protect their joints from injury. I always looked at Mike LaRocco as a prime example of what a mxer should look like. He had an excellent balance for mx. A good off-season workout will consist of working each body part at least once week with some cardio mixed in. Use a typical body building workout as a start. Monday - Chest & Triceps, Tuesday - Back & Biceps, Wednesday - Legs, Thursday - Shoulders, Friday - rest, Saturday - 30 Cardio, Sunday - rest. This can give you a good muscle base and once spring rolls around you can mix it up. Hope this helps along with some of the other posts. To reiterate what Firefit posted, eating and sleep are huge. Especially as we get older.
trailrider
12/20/2016 8:08pm
riding supplemented with a healthy intimate life will be far more rewarding than gym reps

Post a reply to: Off season workouts

The Latest