Odds of another series..think aaf vs nfl

motogrady
2/20/2019 9:15pm
GuyB wrote:
I’m pointing out an example of where it’s happened in the past in a different motorsport. It didn’t work out so great for anyone involved.
motogrady wrote:

That was a good read.

The most surprising thing, to me, was the guy that split from the powers that be, won in the end.
GuyB wrote:
It helped that they had control of the biggest race in the series.

Yeah, I get that. And he had the contacts, and money, to wait it out.

Who, in our little world, has anything close to that. Bud and Glen Helen? I doubt even he could pull it off.

No, it's gonna be hard to find someone that could sink that kind of money, for that period of time, to win, what?

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
2/20/2019 9:45pm
i could see a small series like arenacross starting but it would cater to the privateers or riders who cant get a rider on the main circuit. It would have to happen off cycle of either the whole SX series or outside just east.

example. If you have a series mostly on the west as long as its on off weekend from the west sx series then youll get some riders. '

or run a small series from october to december
JustMX
2/21/2019 4:27am
CozMan wrote:
it's not an expansion of supercross at all, and that's why it's incomparable. It's not pulling teams in different pictures, and it's not "fracturing" the fan...
it's not an expansion of supercross at all, and that's why it's incomparable. It's not pulling teams in different pictures, and it's not "fracturing" the fan base.

Jeez, you guys have overcomplicated a most simple hypothetical question posed by OP and turned it into some sort of defensive argument against an alternate series as if it's going to ruin the entire sport.
Just because you might not like the reality as some see it is no cause to accuse them of "overcomplicating" the discussion.

Our sport is actually shrinking and as optimistic as some of you are about another series it would do serious damage to the sport before it did anything to make it better.

Hell, it can't even support a national arenacross series.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
2/21/2019 5:11am Edited Date/Time 2/21/2019 5:14am
CozMan wrote:
it's not an expansion of supercross at all, and that's why it's incomparable. It's not pulling teams in different pictures, and it's not "fracturing" the fan...
it's not an expansion of supercross at all, and that's why it's incomparable. It's not pulling teams in different pictures, and it's not "fracturing" the fan base.

Jeez, you guys have overcomplicated a most simple hypothetical question posed by OP and turned it into some sort of defensive argument against an alternate series as if it's going to ruin the entire sport.
JustMX wrote:
Just because you might not like the reality as some see it is no cause to accuse them of "overcomplicating" the discussion. Our sport is actually...
Just because you might not like the reality as some see it is no cause to accuse them of "overcomplicating" the discussion.

Our sport is actually shrinking and as optimistic as some of you are about another series it would do serious damage to the sport before it did anything to make it better.

Hell, it can't even support a national arenacross series.
I have to agree with CozMan, everyone is saying no, yet no details were discussed on how long of a series it would be, the dates of events, etc. Personally, if I were trying to run such a series I would probably try to run it during SX with a shorter schedule, maybe 10 races and work on the schedule so that it was more economically friendly.

If you are going to say "no, this is the dumbest idea on earth" at least be able to explain why you feel that way. That's why I quoted GuyB on his first response, to which he came back and at least gave an example of why he felt that way. I don't know that I totally agree with that logic, if the series would be geared more towards privateers, possibly retired riders looking have some fun here or there, or amateurs that really doesn't affect SX much at all.

The Shop

2/21/2019 6:23am
i could see a small series like arenacross starting but it would cater to the privateers or riders who cant get a rider on the main...
i could see a small series like arenacross starting but it would cater to the privateers or riders who cant get a rider on the main circuit. It would have to happen off cycle of either the whole SX series or outside just east.

example. If you have a series mostly on the west as long as its on off weekend from the west sx series then youll get some riders. '

or run a small series from october to december
There are a handful of local and regional Arenacross events and series that showcase all the outdoor LCQ talent you care to chew on. The two largest are Kicker and Nitro, Kicker obviously having the better program.
2/22/2019 10:04am
I quite liked Ralph’s idea of combining SX and MX into one big series with slightly less races and more time off for the riders.
One TV package
One sanctioning body (Feld, AMA or FIM)
would make it a lot easier to get outside sponsors.. our sport is quite complicated to outsiders - think trying to pitch to someone, oh yea well supercross is on this channel then motocross is on here and then you have to change the channel again to watch the second motos..
RichieW13
Fantasy
2913th
2/22/2019 10:13am
I quite liked Ralph’s idea of combining SX and MX into one big series with slightly less races and more time off for the riders. One...
I quite liked Ralph’s idea of combining SX and MX into one big series with slightly less races and more time off for the riders.
One TV package
would make it a lot easier to get outside sponsors.. our sport is quite complicated to outsiders - think trying to pitch to someone, oh yea well supercross is on this channel then motocross is on here and then you have to change the channel again to watch the second motos..
...and both series pretend the others don't exist.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
2/22/2019 11:42am
I quite liked Ralph’s idea of combining SX and MX into one big series with slightly less races and more time off for the riders. One...
One TV package
Ok Give the whole series to DC
2/23/2019 3:19am

Could Monster & Red Bull find some mutually agreeable marketing agreement that would give them cause to combine RBSR & MEC and then ad another couple races where each gets prime billing?

If you could combine those 2 races into a short 4 race series you're already half way there.

If Red Bull and Monster are behind it and they want KTM and Yamaha respectively and any of thier other riders.....IE JS7 i would think they have the clout and $ to make it happen.

If you could get some of the faster Euros to come over for an extended post MXGP season racing vacation that only lasts a month i could see something like that gaining traction very quickly.

Post a reply to: Odds of another series..think aaf vs nfl

The Latest