Ocscottie thread?

MXerDW
Who swept it under the rug?
|
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/24/2017 11:59am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 12:33pm
No one swept it under the rug. I deleted it. I get that people have an opinion. But when they start talking specifically about trying to damage the site, that's where I draw the line.

I understand that people are upset. Here's the thing...we're not trying to get rid of scottie (or you) as members here. It's that we've been devoting a lot more resources than ever to the editorial side. There are MXGP, GNCC, video features, etc, that didn't exist before.

People seem most upset by the idea that the race threads are going away. That's not our intention. Someone else will be free to pick up the ball and run with it. Maybe it'll be one more thing I do on race days. I understand that people enjoy them, but I will say that they are not what scottie was hired to do, and I'd expressed that to him on many occasions.

This wasn't a decision that was taken lightly. We've been friends for years. I've visited his house on more than one occasion, when I was in the area and he was up for a visit. I've tried to get him to attend nearby races (though Hangtown and Oakland are not all that close) many times by offering to get him passes, etc.

We also tried to give him lots of advance warning. I'm sure a good percentage of people don't realize that he's still actually on the payroll.

Do I expect everyone to be happy or understand? No. But I also think that some of this is a bit over the top.

As for your situation, DW, I had no idea that you were ever upset about not being paid for the race links pages. I do know that there was ample time for you to let me know, as we traveled around the Nationals for a couple of recent summers. I also know that our site wasn't the only one that benefited from your efforts over the years.
kkawboy14
10/24/2017 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 12:26pm
Why would someone need to be paid to create race threads?

I was actually surprised y’all were paying someone to do that!

All he has to do is go start a go fund me account and let everyone pay him for continuing to do it, simple really!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
10/24/2017 12:25pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Why would someone need to be paid to create race threads? I was actually surprised y’all were paying someone to do that! All he has to...

All he has to do is go start a go fund me account and let everyone pay him for continuing to do it, simple really!
GuyB just said that's not what Scottie was hired to do.
akmx17
10/24/2017 12:26pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Why would someone need to be paid to create race threads? I was actually surprised y’all were paying someone to do that! All he has to...

I believe he just said he wasn't actually paying Scottie to do that.

The Shop

kkawboy14
10/24/2017 12:28pm
But that’s what everyone is upset about losing! The other stuff he did was pretty invisible
Xeno
10/24/2017 12:38pm
Kinda weird to read so much about someone's employment details on a public forum...

I enjoy all the content here- so thanks DW and Scottie for your contributions!
MXerDW
10/24/2017 12:43pm
GuyB,

I was never offered anything to be exclusive to one website, so I have always posted at several message boards as to give the fans a one stop spot to find all the race day links in a single thread.

And its not about the money for me, just really bummed you guys are letting Scottie go.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/24/2017 12:47pm
MXerDW wrote:
GuyB, I was never offered anything to be exclusive to one website, so I have always posted at several message boards as to give the fans...
GuyB,

I was never offered anything to be exclusive to one website, so I have always posted at several message boards as to give the fans a one stop spot to find all the race day links in a single thread.

And its not about the money for me, just really bummed you guys are letting Scottie go.
Right. I always assumed you did it as a labor of love...for the fans.

I got your message loud and clear, both here, and via email.
jeffro503
10/24/2017 1:06pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
But that’s what everyone is upset about losing! The other stuff he did was pretty invisible
There is a time and place for just regular members to voice opinions on certain subjects , and this is one where most all of us should stay out of it. Although I am bummed that Scottie won't be a mod here any more , and Dwayne won't be doing the links page any more. This is an internal issue , and were just along for the ride. I personally can only comment towards the friendship part of things , but for the business side of things....I have no idea , so won't comment.
JRT812
10/24/2017 1:10pm
All this will pass soon enough. People had the opportunity to express the many thanks to each individual and I am sure it was felt. Nothing else to do other than read the Stewart threads and post's seeking advice on girls. I imagine when race day arrives... vital won't miss a beat and everyone will be still be participating... just maybe on different levels now.

Deep breaths people
JPT
10/24/2017 1:48pm
jeffro503 wrote:
There is a time and place for just regular members to voice opinions on certain subjects , and this is one where most all of us...
There is a time and place for just regular members to voice opinions on certain subjects , and this is one where most all of us should stay out of it. Although I am bummed that Scottie won't be a mod here any more , and Dwayne won't be doing the links page any more. This is an internal issue , and were just along for the ride. I personally can only comment towards the friendship part of things , but for the business side of things....I have no idea , so won't comment.
Don't disagree with you except like I mentioned in the previous thread, establishing a feeling of community and belonging is a critical aspect of places like this. The membership feeling that one of their own got the short end the stick and/or their opinions not mattering is a business consideration.
DoctorJD
10/24/2017 1:53pm
I understand that sometimes you have to do some really unpleasant things to maintain the health of a business. I had to fire a gentleman who had been with our business for 25 years, for no other reason than we couldn't afford him anymore. After I let him go, I got in my truck and rode around for an hour crying. He was like family. It sucked.

I do want to say one other thing: Someone in the original thread was disparaging the videos that Vital does, and ML in particular. I think the Vital videos are done as well as anyone in the industry, and ML's reviews/shootouts are awesome. Not sure how anyone could watch them and draw any other conclusion. Just my opinion.
10/24/2017 2:21pm
jeffro503 wrote:
There is a time and place for just regular members to voice opinions on certain subjects , and this is one where most all of us...
JPT wrote:
Don't disagree with you except like I mentioned in the previous thread, establishing a feeling of community and belonging is a critical aspect of places like...
Don't disagree with you except like I mentioned in the previous thread, establishing a feeling of community and belonging is a critical aspect of places like this. The membership feeling that one of their own got the short end the stick and/or their opinions not mattering is a business consideration.
You make a valid point.
huck
10/24/2017 2:29pm
I like Scottie. I like GuyB. Sucks it didn't work out, but sometimes things happen in business that hurt friendships. I hope something new and better comes along for Scottie.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/24/2017 2:32pm
huck wrote:
I like Scottie. I like GuyB. Sucks it didn't work out, but sometimes things happen in business that hurt friendships. I hope something new and better...
I like Scottie. I like GuyB. Sucks it didn't work out, but sometimes things happen in business that hurt friendships. I hope something new and better comes along for Scottie.
I’ll second that.
500guy
10/24/2017 2:44pm
huck wrote:
I like Scottie. I like GuyB. Sucks it didn't work out, but sometimes things happen in business that hurt friendships. I hope something new and better...
GuyB wrote:
I’ll second that.
next time I see Guyb I'm fliken him the bird. lol

I am bummed OC is being let go but I'm not writing the checks either.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/24/2017 2:46pm
500guy wrote:

So what would be different from usual? Wink
scooter5002
10/24/2017 3:40pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 3:41pm
500guy wrote:

GuyB wrote:
So what would be different from usual? Wink
It'll be double barrel? OC may not have been paid to start race threads, but he did it anyway. Volunteer work? Sure, maybe, whatever. When you strip away the heart of an entity, it changes. Remember when Ashton Kutcher took over for Charlie Sheen? EggfuckingZACTLY. You can carry on with the same program, but it's a shell of its former self. Btw, I haven't watched that piece of crap since the first 5 minutes of episode 1, with Kutcher.
HuskyEd
10/24/2017 4:08pm
It'll be double barrel? OC may not have been paid to start race threads, but he did it anyway. Volunteer work? Sure, maybe, whatever. When you...
It'll be double barrel? OC may not have been paid to start race threads, but he did it anyway. Volunteer work? Sure, maybe, whatever. When you strip away the heart of an entity, it changes. Remember when Ashton Kutcher took over for Charlie Sheen? EggfuckingZACTLY. You can carry on with the same program, but it's a shell of its former self. Btw, I haven't watched that piece of crap since the first 5 minutes of episode 1, with Kutcher.
Wow scooter, you hit the nail on the head!

When you strip away the heart of an entity, it changes. Very true!
Steve 396
10/24/2017 4:37pm
Good grief folks, its an internal matter. We have no skin in the game. Let it go........
Graybeard
Fantasy
2310th
10/24/2017 4:45pm
Vital going the way of ESPN...........
Melicar
10/24/2017 5:09pm
What did i miss? whats going on with OC?Huh
Scottie's position is being eliminated at the end of the year due to budget cuts and it's not going over well with the majority of long time posters.
10/24/2017 5:10pm
Look on the bright side... OC was on the "inside". He is now one of us common folk. He could do some epic trolling that would be highly entertaining and while it would give GuyB fits, I know he'd get a laugh out of it as well.

Not all is lost. What made this place special has always been the characters and their antics. I'll choose to look at is as OC has defected from the communist regime and is out to wreak havoc. Or I hope he does. Tho, he's a better person than me and will probably take the high road.

C'mon OC. I know you're reading this. You got a great sense of humor. Feel the power of the dark side my friend.
PastranaWho
10/24/2017 5:29pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 5:30pm
What did i miss? whats going on with OC?Huh
Melicar wrote:
Scottie's position is being eliminated at the end of the year due to budget cuts and it's not going over well with the majority of long...
Scottie's position is being eliminated at the end of the year due to budget cuts and it's not going over well with the majority of long time posters.
Thanks for the info, man hope they can get something worked out OC is the man around here.
BobbyM
10/24/2017 5:32pm
GuyB wrote:
No one swept it under the rug. I deleted it. I get that people have an opinion. But when they start talking specifically about trying to...
No one swept it under the rug. I deleted it. I get that people have an opinion. But when they start talking specifically about trying to damage the site, that's where I draw the line.

I understand that people are upset. Here's the thing...we're not trying to get rid of scottie (or you) as members here. It's that we've been devoting a lot more resources than ever to the editorial side. There are MXGP, GNCC, video features, etc, that didn't exist before.

People seem most upset by the idea that the race threads are going away. That's not our intention. Someone else will be free to pick up the ball and run with it. Maybe it'll be one more thing I do on race days. I understand that people enjoy them, but I will say that they are not what scottie was hired to do, and I'd expressed that to him on many occasions.

This wasn't a decision that was taken lightly. We've been friends for years. I've visited his house on more than one occasion, when I was in the area and he was up for a visit. I've tried to get him to attend nearby races (though Hangtown and Oakland are not all that close) many times by offering to get him passes, etc.

We also tried to give him lots of advance warning. I'm sure a good percentage of people don't realize that he's still actually on the payroll.

Do I expect everyone to be happy or understand? No. But I also think that some of this is a bit over the top.

As for your situation, DW, I had no idea that you were ever upset about not being paid for the race links pages. I do know that there was ample time for you to let me know, as we traveled around the Nationals for a couple of recent summers. I also know that our site wasn't the only one that benefited from your efforts over the years.
Not sure what happened but both you guys are A1 in my book.
Mufucker this site has come a long ways since me and you invented Motodrive... Eh GuyB?
wildbill
10/24/2017 5:46pm
Another thread that got axed was the "Doh" one by GuyB. Scottie responded with "your fired" and I laughed my ass off. Steve, we love you too, and know it's not always easy what you do so don't take us so seriously when we get a bit OC. Wink
oldblood
10/24/2017 6:17pm
In 08' I had to lay off a bunch of good guys. Some had been with me a long time. Some were like brothers. I hated it. Running a business isn't always great.
oldblood
10/24/2017 6:26pm
I really like Scottie, hopefully he can be worked back in at some point.
level
10/24/2017 6:28pm
Unless some one hires you to post a race thread or race links don't expect to get paid for it. You can't just start something and then say later oh maybe i should be getting paid. While we all appreciate the race links I never thought for once mxder was getting paid for it and I don't know how someone would expect to get paid for starting a race thread . Kind of strange. Have to side with guy b on this but it's really none of my business anyways.

Post a reply to: Ocscottie thread?

The Latest