Oakley Airbrakes. Simply THE BEST.

TeamGreen
Edited Date/Time 12/10/2020 9:23am
Edit: in this post I wrote that Frontline Oakleys aren’t on sale: WRONG! $60 to 72 with Prizm lenses at MotoSport. That ends today; but, I’ll bet you’ll be able to get that price for a few more days if ya call and ask. I let...end edit.

During the Zombie Apocolypse/COVID Madness, I've done A LOT of riding. Both at the track and pllllenty of AMAZING Off-Roading. From out at the super secret location west of Edwards AFB to "The Mammoth Basin" to Hollister Hills and several track days and even a few bikes tests. From Pala to Glen Helen to Cahuilla to LACR to well...all over California. Even the Eastern Sierra into Navada...

Oakley Airbrakes are what Ive been wearing since March duriing all of this riding and they are AMAZING!

The lenses are tough and hold up nicely with proper care and the tear-offs are The Best. Even the "Prizm" lenses are suprisingly tough for a coated/treated lens.

BUT! As we all know...they ain't cheap! On the other-hand, they will make sense for some when you look at the "cost of ownership" and think about things "in the long run".

Here's why...

I've bought 10 pair of AIrbrakes over the last 8 months and the most I've paid is $100 for goggles with "Cool Guy like Eli" Prizm lenses & $80 for goggles with clear or grey lenses.

All goggles come with a goggle bag that's like a protective-gear-bag for your googles and a 7 pack of lams.

I bought goggles at Oakley.com back in April for 50% off. That sale has ended.
BUT!!!
I'm still buying them at 50% off at MotoSport.com
(Pssssst...over here...look, don't tell no-one; but, if ya spend a bit of money...let's say $500 or more...they may give you ANOTHER 5% off. But, YOU DIDN'T HEAR THAT FROM ME!)
Whistling

I've had lenses last me for MONTHS with just a little bit of care and decent maint. While we're here: These goggles are the best built goggle I've used or seen. EVER. The lens comes out via the levers on the side of the frame. It's a "RIGID" lens and is tough as hell and among the BEST PROTECTION AVAILABLE FOR...
Your eyes.

These goggles are a serious assembly of very tough and well designed parts that enable the lenses to be removed, handled and cared for much easier and way more "touch free" than most goggle designs...you know...those googles that virtualy FORCE you to get finger-prints all over the lens or even SMEAR the anit-fog gel as you put them together or take them apart!

That doesn't happen on Airbrakes. Even the inside surface/fog-free treatment is WAY tougher than any other lens I've used.

The lenses are simply amazing and VERY durable. I've had these lenses last 3-4 times as long as my lenses in the Dragon NFX/NFXs/NFX 2 that I previously wore for several years.

I have spent about $1,200 on this goggle system; and, that is for 10 goggles, spare lenses and plenty of tear offs.

Most all of my goggles were $80 dollars and 2 pair were $105 each (But, I recv'd another 5% off on those and they ended up being 99.75. Nice! The lenses in them are $75! So, I just bought the complete goggle instead!!!).

I've bought lenses for $25 (Clear and Grey) $45 (Dual Anti-Fog) and $45 for Prizm lenses (That's the Sale Price: they are $75 regularly!). The lenses cheap!

But, these ARE NOT your typical goggle lens. They are a much thicker and way more rigid lens. You have to take a pair apart to truly understand. Or...you have to take a rock to the lens at high speed out in The Dez!
Blush

Oh. and, YES! I know I keep a lot of goggles...there's a reason for that...

I keep a gear bag in NorCal & one in SoCal and one for travel. So, I keep PLENTY of goggles, Besides that, my friends...like Don Emler. Sr. ..show up with goggles that scare me; so, every now and then I may steal their terrible goggles and give them a set of these...because, they're worth it. Btw, Don Emler wears some funky old gear 'cause he ain't got the time to go find new stuff. He's too damn busy designing and making pipes for all of us...especially those of us with old smokers!
Grinning

These goggles last & the lenses are amazing. The aint-fog capabilty of the std lens (Clear or Grey) is pretty damn good and the "Dual" snow-sport-type lenses are the way to go if ya ride in the REALLY WET or Snow or Real Muddy Madness.

I'd recommend the $80 w/ clear or grey as the best way to go and I'd get a 25 pack of regualr tear-offs (Again, each goggle comes with a 7 pack of lams and I'd save those for an important race).

2 gog's and the 25 pack of tear-offs are currently $175 at MotoSport.

They also have got O-Frames for as little as $20.
Mayhems and all the other stuff for a lot less than Airbrakes, too!
But, those cheaper goggles ain't gonna work as well nor last anywhere near as long.
Even the Frontline...which, for me, is not worth bothering with due to not having all the lens avaialibilty and accessories that the Airbrakes do & they cost more due to not being on sale.

A Simple Declaration: I've not received any "Free Stuff".

I paid for ALL of it!

Laughing

In the very beggining of The Zombie Apocolypse, I tried Airbrakes out thanks to ML512 & immediatley went out and bought some.
Ever since the Airbrake came out, Michael claimed it was "Game Over"!
He's right as far as I'm concerned.

Previous to this, I wore Dragons. Exclusively. I would help out with Dragon product prep at the races, too, since my good friend, Kenny Admas was the Dragon rep. Dragon is still available & is damn good stuff. But, these are better. Much better.

They are the best.

And I PAY for them; so, don't try that..."Sure! You don;t even pay for them!" stuff!
Silly

If ya see me out riding & ya need a lens or some tear-offs?
Just ask.
Until then, I hope you are well & "Riding 'til the blisters bother ya!"

Well, that's my "Sharing of the Stoke on Airbrakes"...

Manny
|
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2020 2:43pm

That’s the goggle gear-bag that comes with them.

Lens removed and the “levers” in the open position that allows the lens to come me out easily

The NorCal stash
Brent
12/5/2020 2:41pm
..but how do you really feel about the Oakley Airbrakes?

Sideways
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 2:44pm
Brent wrote:
..but how do you really feel about the Oakley Airbrakes?

Sideways
They're ok.

Sorta...

Grinning

The Shop

dbx33
12/5/2020 3:59pm
I wear contacts, no need for goggle
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 4:01pm
dbx33 wrote:
I wear contacts, no need for goggle
Everyone should know that this requires the disclaimer: Don't try this at home.

Also, know this: dbx33 is Chuck Norris.
Munson'd
Fantasy
1083rd
12/5/2020 4:05pm
If you wore glasses with them you have me sold. Good review none the less.
FWYT
12/5/2020 4:15pm
Look, I hear ya . . . . but holyfuckingshitballs . . . your goggle budget is only a little less than my entire year's riding budget. Different worlds.
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 4:15pm
They’re good, but Prospects are made in the US of A
And they're on Closeout at Dennis Kirk for $44.97 with the REALLY good lenses (Snow Goggle - GREAT Anti-Fog performance!).

But, they ain't nowhere near the same type of protection.

Ever since testing & wearing the early NFX goggles from Dragon...I -have not- had any interest in the "regular" type of goggle lens that offers no real "eye protection" when he big stiff comes flying thru the eye port of your helmet.

Racing in Baja has totally changed my perspective on this.
Wildeye511
12/5/2020 5:01pm
I have two pair and wont wear anything else. Just so easy to clean and the lenses are great. I got mine on sale also, but I would have paid full price if I had to.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
12/5/2020 5:32pm
Ski/board goggles seem to be ahead of moto. The airbrake lens swap is pretty good but there are better ones out there IMO. Wait until we get push button tint changes.

I gave halfway through the ball fondling but yea the airbrake and Oakley in general have the best lens(prizm) and protection in moto
crowe660
Fantasy
4049th
12/5/2020 5:40pm
My problem with Airbrakes: Each time I go to the track (EVERY TIME) I pull my little Airbrake bag out, open it up, pull out these works of art, put the laminates on them. Stare at them for 30 seconds. Then, I dig to the bottom of my gear bag and pull out my 15yo crowbars out and wipe the last moto’s mud off and throw the Airbrakes back in the truck.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
12/5/2020 5:42pm
Have you tried the different prizm lens colors? I don’t see any real description of what works where other than here is the color.
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 5:42pm
crowe660 wrote:
My problem with Airbrakes: Each time I go to the track (EVERY TIME) I pull my little Airbrake bag out, open it up, pull out these...
My problem with Airbrakes: Each time I go to the track (EVERY TIME) I pull my little Airbrake bag out, open it up, pull out these works of art, put the laminates on them. Stare at them for 30 seconds. Then, I dig to the bottom of my gear bag and pull out my 15yo crowbars out and wipe the last moto’s mud off and throw the Airbrakes back in the truck.
Best post in here.

Ol'School
Rock-n-Roll
tobz
12/5/2020 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2020 6:03pm
I only made it halfway through your infomercial sorry

Only issue I have with 3 pairs I have vs the 100% goggles I have in my kit is that the Oakleys fog up ALOT easier than the 100%. I don’t know if it’s how they’re vented or the way I breathe. But in cold racing conditions I can’t wear the airbrakes at any speed of riding as they fog up with each breath.

Paired with a Bell helmet

One is a prism, the other is clear and the other is a clear roll off system, all the same issue.
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 6:03pm
tobz wrote:
I only made it halfway through your infomercial sorry Only issue I have with 3 pairs I have vs the 100% goggles I have in my...

Only issue I have with 3 pairs I have vs the 100% goggles I have in my kit is that the Oakleys fog up ALOT easier than the 100%. I don’t know if it’s how they’re vented or the way I breathe. But in cold racing conditions I can’t wear the airbrakes at any speed of riding as they fog up with each breath.

One is a prism, the other is clear and the other is a clear roll off system, all the same issue.
I'd get the Dual lens. It's even good in the ubber-cold of Mammoth when I'm skiing.
McG194
12/5/2020 6:06pm
When they first came out I thought $200+ was ridiculous to pay for goggles and wasn't buying the hype. Five years ago or so I bought a bunch of goggles we were clearing out at the company I worked for and have been wearing them exclusively. A few months ago I grabbed 2 pairs on sale at Motosport and holy crap these things are badass. Frames are solid, I took a good whack to the lens with a handlebar 2 weeks ago and the lenses held up great. Lenses didn't even get a mark on them because I had a tear off that took the damage. The only failure in that crash was my prescription insert, but that's a post I may make later. It doesn't matter if they cost more, they are infinitely rebuildable.
tobz
12/5/2020 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2020 6:14pm
tobz wrote:
I only made it halfway through your infomercial sorry Only issue I have with 3 pairs I have vs the 100% goggles I have in my...

TeamGreen wrote:
I'd get the Dual lens. It's even good in the ubber-cold of Mammoth when I'm skiing.
Fair suggestion. Do you ride in cooler conditions at all and have the same issues?

So approx $400aud+ in goggles and your telling me the lenses (1 is a prism) are no good in slightest of cold conditions? yet the $60aud 100% are good as gold.

Can’t see myself buying into them again I’m afraid.
JWACK
12/5/2020 6:16pm
I bought 4 sets of goggles on Dennis Kirk close-out for 9 bucks a set... 2 years ago. And 2 sets are still new in the packages!.

You sir have first world problems! 😂

TeamGreen
12/5/2020 6:40pm
tobz wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
tobz wrote:
Fair suggestion. Do you ride in cooler conditions at all and have the same issues? So approx $400aud+ in goggles and your telling me the lenses...
Fair suggestion. Do you ride in cooler conditions at all and have the same issues?

So approx $400aud+ in goggles and your telling me the lenses (1 is a prism) are no good in slightest of cold conditions? yet the $60aud 100% are good as gold.

Can’t see myself buying into them again I’m afraid.
Well, I’ve ridden in the snow, icy rain & about a month ago I rode a 2 Day Ride in the clouds/Hi-Sierras where it was below freezing.

2 weeks ago I spent the day riding MX in the rain: no problems. However, when I expect problems, I go to the dual which...so far...I’ve used only at the MX rain day.

Btw, I -NEVER- said Prizm was “no good” in the slightest cold conditions. The pics above? Std Prizm lens.
jk367
12/5/2020 7:41pm
Nevada Smile you just sold me on a couple pair for me and the boy. Btosports has some killer deals on them right now. Hurry while supplies last
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 7:48pm
jk367 wrote:
Nevada :) you just sold me on a couple pair for me and the boy. Btosports has some killer deals on them right now. Hurry while...
Nevada Smile you just sold me on a couple pair for me and the boy. Btosports has some killer deals on them right now. Hurry while supplies last
Ya know...

That damn Aussie made a good & valid point.

If you DO have cold conditions, cool-humid conditions...or any air-flow/a tight fit in your helmet (this includes if the goggs are hard to squeeze into the eye port) you might wanna get the dual lens “just in case”.

Good Luck!
12/5/2020 7:59pm
I love my Airbrakes. I was using my pair at Fox Raceway this morning and later switched to my Spy’s (which I also like) but the Airbrakes blow them away. I have quite the goggle collection and I always gravitate towards my Airbrake’s.
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 8:01pm
I love my Airbrakes. I was using my pair at Fox Raceway this morning and later switched to my Spy’s (which I also like) but the...
I love my Airbrakes. I was using my pair at Fox Raceway this morning and later switched to my Spy’s (which I also like) but the Airbrakes blow them away. I have quite the goggle collection and I always gravitate towards my Airbrake’s.
Hey, you’re gonna have to explain your screen-name...
12/5/2020 8:16pm
I love my Airbrakes. I was using my pair at Fox Raceway this morning and later switched to my Spy’s (which I also like) but the...
TeamGreen wrote:
Hey, you’re gonna have to explain your screen-name...
Fun story, I used to sell pre-owned moto gear from my college dorm room on eBay under the name “PREMIER Sports Outlet” and ended up opening up a small shop in Alpine, CA using that same name. I started out super small. I carried Fasthouse, Thrill Seekers, Maxima Oils and a bunch of other surf brands. It was an awesome experience but it got stressful after I graduated since I had a full-time career and was balancing the shop on top of a fresh marriage. I closed it down at the start of 2020 and it turned out to be the best decision since Covid happened shortly after! That’s the story behind my screen name 🤙
jk367
12/5/2020 8:26pm
jk367 wrote:
Nevada :) you just sold me on a couple pair for me and the boy. Btosports has some killer deals on them right now. Hurry while...
TeamGreen wrote:
Ya know... That damn Aussie made a good & valid point. If you DO have cold conditions, cool-humid conditions...or any air-flow/a tight fit in your helmet...
Ya know...

If you DO have cold conditions, cool-humid conditions...or any air-flow/a tight fit in your helmet (this includes if the goggs are hard to squeeze into the eye port) you might wanna get the dual lens “just in case”.

Good Luck!
Screw that lol I’m a warm weather rider haha will be a few months before it’s warm enough here in northern Nevada to ride for me
TeamGreen
12/5/2020 8:32pm
jk367 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Ya know... That damn Aussie made a good & valid point. If you DO have cold conditions, cool-humid conditions...or any air-flow/a tight fit in your helmet...
Ya know...

Good Luck!
jk367 wrote:
Screw that lol I’m a warm weather rider haha will be a few months before it’s warm enough here in northern Nevada to ride for me
I made an “edit” to my original post: MotoSport has the Frontline on sale w/Prizm lens (one type
Only) form $60 & a FULL selection of Prizms for $72.

I don’t know if the Frontline has all the same “mechanisms/mechanical features” of the Airbrakes ...but, $60-$72 sounds like a good deal!
jk367
12/5/2020 8:40pm
BTO has some on sale right now for $69 for clear air brakes and 100 for the prism. Awesome deals for sure

Post a reply to: Oakley Airbrakes. Simply THE BEST.

The Latest