Oakley Airbrake new roll off

10/24/2017 2:46pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2017 9:12am
Hi guys,

I saw some topics from a while ago with people who weren't too pumped on the oakley airbrake roll off kit. As far as I know the roll off kit recently got an update (called BRO -> Big Roll Off) so I'm curious if anyone has already used the new one? I currently have a Scott Prospect with roll off and I'm not too happy with it so I maybe wanna change to airbrakes. Just looking for some experiences.
|
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
10/24/2017 2:53pm
Any product called "BRO" must be a winner for a Vital member.
mxjeff575
10/24/2017 5:05pm
Hi guys, I saw some topics from a while ago with people who weren't too pumped on the oakley airbrake roll off kit. As far as...
Hi guys,

I saw some topics from a while ago with people who weren't too pumped on the oakley airbrake roll off kit. As far as I know the roll off kit recently got an update (called BRO -> Big Roll Off) so I'm curious if anyone has already used the new one? I currently have a Scott Prospect with roll off and I'm not too happy with it so I maybe wanna change to airbrakes. Just looking for some experiences.
What did you not like about the Prospect Rolloff system? I was thinking of trying it, looks like it has a wide film (50mm).
Ryguy125
10/24/2017 5:20pm
I didnt mind the old roll offs... just dont like that you cant stack 1 or 2 tear offs for the beginning of the race
Cygrace74
10/24/2017 6:55pm
As of now the roll off kit is the same for Airbrakes since they came out, same part number all the way back to 2012. Although I have never had a problem with the roll offs and have much better vision than Prospects or either of the 100% systems. Anyone I know that had any problems was only with the string not retracting after being pulled and that happens when not release the string quick enough, it's almost like the more careful with it the more it will drag. I learned when fully pulled out to let the string go instead of holding onto it while it retracts.

The Shop

10/24/2017 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 7:15pm
Jokeley has sucked ever since they went dealer direct in the 90s. 100% has kicked their ass in sales
agn5009
10/24/2017 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 10/24/2017 7:40pm
What don't you like about the prospects? I've been thinking about getting a pair.
Motofinne
10/25/2017 1:10am Edited Date/Time 10/25/2017 2:24am
I haven't heard about an updated roll off system, where can i find info about it?

The current system is not good enough if you race a lot.

Btw could you explain why you're not a fan of the prospects? I've thought about getting them. I love my Airbrakes but it feels like they(the roll offs) are not designed for racing situations.
10/25/2017 1:57am
The current system is junk, killed two sets (Oakley replaced the first set) in two rides. Went back to Smiths and never had a problem.
tek14
10/25/2017 2:23am
Havent heard much complains about Prospects. What was wrong with them?
Airbrake roll offs are big no no but 100% been working great.
Cortami79
10/25/2017 3:03am
I have the new system and it works well for me now
Motofinne
10/25/2017 3:08am
Cortami79 wrote:
What is the difference? Could you post pics?
Lynch
10/25/2017 3:40am
I would be interested in airbrakes if they "fixed" the roll offs, can't go wrong with Scotts new or old systems imo. However the protection that the airbrakes offer lens wise is something Scott is behind on.
Motofinne
10/25/2017 3:45am
Lynch wrote:
I would be interested in airbrakes if they "fixed" the roll offs, can't go wrong with Scotts new or old systems imo. However the protection that...
I would be interested in airbrakes if they "fixed" the roll offs, can't go wrong with Scotts new or old systems imo. However the protection that the airbrakes offer lens wise is something Scott is behind on.
I think i would move to Scott Prospects full time if they would have injected molded lenses.

I could use the roll offs because the chances of injuring eyes/face is smaller in wet/muddy conditions.
10/25/2017 4:16am
Motofinne wrote:
I haven't heard about an updated roll off system, where can i find info about it? The current system is not good enough if you race...
I haven't heard about an updated roll off system, where can i find info about it?

The current system is not good enough if you race a lot.

Btw could you explain why you're not a fan of the prospects? I've thought about getting them. I love my Airbrakes but it feels like they(the roll offs) are not designed for racing situations.
Read the description:
https://mx-deals.nl/oakley-airbrake-big-roll-off-kit-en.html

There are 2 reasons I don't like it:
1. On the canister there's a red pin which you have to move up and down in order to put the canister on the lens or take it off. As soon as you've used the roll off you need to be really careful or you'll immediately break the red thing which you have to push to get it off. It's because these canisters are on there too freakin tight. You can see it here:

I've already heard of people who have broken the red thing which he's pointing his finger at.
2. The pull isn't smooth. You have to pull the cord really hard to get it to roll. I had this problem and I've also pulled on the prospect of someone else and he had the same problem.

Other than that, the lens changing system of the prospect also sucks compared to the system the airbrake has.
10/25/2017 4:17am
Cortami79 wrote:
That's good to hear. How many times have you used it?
Lynch
10/25/2017 5:23am
Lynch wrote:
I would be interested in airbrakes if they "fixed" the roll offs, can't go wrong with Scotts new or old systems imo. However the protection that...
Motofinne wrote:
I think i would move to Scott Prospects full time if they would have injected molded lenses. I could use the roll offs because the chances...
I think i would move to Scott Prospects full time if they would have injected molded lenses.

I could use the roll offs because the chances of injuring eyes/face is smaller in wet/muddy conditions.
Exactly.

And wideopen198 you are 100% correct, I broke mine the second time I removed the roll off system. I did find a way to remove them without risking them breaking but it for sure is frustrating with the high cost of the goggles themselves.
agn5009
10/25/2017 5:28am
So here's the million dollar question. What are the best goggles with roll offs? What about the best goggles with double paned lenses to limit fogging?
10/25/2017 5:49am
agn5009 wrote:
So here's the million dollar question. What are the best goggles with roll offs? What about the best goggles with double paned lenses to limit fogging?
Best ones I have used (and I've tried them all) are the Scott ones with the pimpled lense, they are my go to wet weather/beach race goggles
Motofinne
10/25/2017 6:09am
So still no possibility to put a tear off on the Airbrake roll of system.

How stupid are they? That is exactly what you need in a race situation after the first corner...
Cortami79
10/25/2017 8:14am
Cortami79 wrote:
That's good to hear. How many times have you used it?
Twice now. But didn’t use it in rain though. In rainy conditions I use my 100% accuri with the smaller roll off system (not forecast I hated that one). Never ever had to throw my goggles with those. Here in Netherlands/Belgium you really need good roll offs. Tear offs are not allowed. Here are few pictures.

10/26/2017 9:23am
Cortami79 wrote:
Twice now. But didn’t use it in rain though. In rainy conditions I use my 100% accuri with the smaller roll off system (not forecast I...
Twice now. But didn’t use it in rain though. In rainy conditions I use my 100% accuri with the smaller roll off system (not forecast I hated that one). Never ever had to throw my goggles with those. Here in Netherlands/Belgium you really need good roll offs. Tear offs are not allowed. Here are few pictures.

Ok, I think I will try them myself this winter/beginning of next season. Yes I know, I'm from the Netherlands.
aees
10/29/2017 4:33pm
I got 4 pairs of Prospect. Love the tear-off, not so fan of roll-off after today riding. Water gets in between the film and the lens and they are fucked (that is with the "smart" Scott plastic stuff in between the film and lense).

Happen twice in 30min on two different pairs.
dcg141
10/29/2017 5:12pm
I ride a lot of off-road but I would as soon take a beating than have to deal with anyone's roll offs.I just stare at them and try to rationalize any reason not to use them.
10/29/2017 5:59pm
aees wrote:
I got 4 pairs of Prospect. Love the tear-off, not so fan of roll-off after today riding. Water gets in between the film and the lens...
I got 4 pairs of Prospect. Love the tear-off, not so fan of roll-off after today riding. Water gets in between the film and the lens and they are fucked (that is with the "smart" Scott plastic stuff in between the film and lense).

I also rode with them yesterday in slight rain. I also got water in between lens and film despite the mudflap. Also my roll off kept jamming. I'm gonna sell the scott roll off and try out the oakley
10/29/2017 6:01pm
dcg141 wrote:
I ride a lot of off-road but I would as soon take a beating than have to deal with anyone's roll offs.I just stare at them...
I ride a lot of off-road but I would as soon take a beating than have to deal with anyone's roll offs.I just stare at them and try to rationalize any reason not to use them.
In the netherlands you don't have a choice. Tear offs are not allowed. I only run them during my practices but even that's illegal. If you run them during a race you will get DQ
10/31/2017 3:02pm
Cortami79 wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
What is the difference? Could you post pics?
I have found some pictures of the old system vs. the new system:

crusty_xx
Fantasy
207th
10/31/2017 4:04pm
I'm sticking to my Scott Hustles until there's something proven better (and payable).
Not the huge area of sight that the airbrakes and prospects offer, but I haven't had a single problem in years.

With both Airbrake and Prospect I have problems with sweat coming through and dropping in my eyes. And obviously the roll off problems. Plus the high price...

The whole Hustle goggle is between 25-45$ and a lense is below 10$.

There's a reason why several Scott sponsered pros like Jorge Prado use the Hustle and not the Prospect model (on the podium they do use the prospect)

11/1/2017 1:46am
crusty_xx wrote:
I'm sticking to my Scott Hustles until there's something proven better (and payable). Not the huge area of sight that the airbrakes and prospects offer, but...
I'm sticking to my Scott Hustles until there's something proven better (and payable).
Not the huge area of sight that the airbrakes and prospects offer, but I haven't had a single problem in years.

With both Airbrake and Prospect I have problems with sweat coming through and dropping in my eyes. And obviously the roll off problems. Plus the high price...

The whole Hustle goggle is between 25-45$ and a lense is below 10$.

There's a reason why several Scott sponsered pros like Jorge Prado use the Hustle and not the Prospect model (on the podium they do use the prospect)

Yes, I get what you're saying but there's no way back. I rode with the prospects for a while and then I put on my old EKS Brand GOX. I really thought, wow why do I see nothing? For me it's already hard to choose good goggles because my eyes are very low in my head. So when I buy a goggle with small roll off it's basically cleaning the part where my eyes don't sit because they're lower in the goggle.
Lynch
11/1/2017 2:37am
aees wrote:
I got 4 pairs of Prospect. Love the tear-off, not so fan of roll-off after today riding. Water gets in between the film and the lens...

I also rode with them yesterday in slight rain. I also got water in between lens and film despite the mudflap. Also my roll off kept...
I also rode with them yesterday in slight rain. I also got water in between lens and film despite the mudflap. Also my roll off kept jamming. I'm gonna sell the scott roll off and try out the oakley
PM me if you want to sell the prospects, I am in need of a pair that I can experiment with without killing my wallet.

Post a reply to: Oakley Airbrake new roll off

The Latest