OZ MX Nationals rd 1 Newry

kevin204
Fantasy
2865th
4/15/2018 4:10pm
JB479 wrote:
I hope husqvarna aus step up and give Caleb ward some factory suspension. Hes still running the production fork/shock but his laptimes were only a second...
I hope husqvarna aus step up and give Caleb ward some factory suspension. Hes still running the production fork/shock but his laptimes were only a second slower than the top 3. Put him on Mosig’s bike and he could run with Ferris. His style suits a 450.
As someone who only watches the Australian races on the internet, I've always been impressed watching Caleb Ward ride. To find out he was on production suspension yesterday is impressive again. He battled back from some so-so starts to a solid finish.
MXMattii
4/15/2018 4:25pm
JB479 wrote:
I hope husqvarna aus step up and give Caleb ward some factory suspension. Hes still running the production fork/shock but his laptimes were only a second...
I hope husqvarna aus step up and give Caleb ward some factory suspension. Hes still running the production fork/shock but his laptimes were only a second slower than the top 3. Put him on Mosig’s bike and he could run with Ferris. His style suits a 450.
kevin204 wrote:
As someone who only watches the Australian races on the internet, I've always been impressed watching Caleb Ward ride. To find out he was on production...
As someone who only watches the Australian races on the internet, I've always been impressed watching Caleb Ward ride. To find out he was on production suspension yesterday is impressive again. He battled back from some so-so starts to a solid finish.
Or some Australian suspension firm needs to give him their best stuff. If Ohlins, KYB, Showa, ... or some other brand offers him the best stuff. Husqvarna Australia and WP will be jumping the bridge fast, to give him the best WP fork and shock possible, because can you imagine their shame if one of the top Husqvarna riders would ride something else then WP.

On the other hand why isn't he on the official DPH Husqvarna team?
MX690
4/15/2018 6:13pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well at least you didn't mention igloo's lol. Also, define super cold? Is super cold -30/-40C? doubt it but never know. That's what we call super...
Well at least you didn't mention igloo's lol. Also, define super cold? Is super cold -30/-40C? doubt it but never know. That's what we call super cold. It's actually not all that bad if there's no humidity but that's rarely the case out East.
jemcee wrote:
haha ah well yep just checked and yeah the real cold days are around there but it's like a shit dry windy cold like no snow...
haha ah well yep just checked and yeah the real cold days are around there but it's like a shit dry windy cold like no snow just dickhead cold haha but maybe someone from down there can answer that question better
Mate no way does it get anywhere near -30 or -40c, the coldest I have seen it is about -5c and that's on a cold frosty morning and then you end up with a warm sunny day, A shit cold day is about 8c and that's a bloody cold mid winter's day, and I'm in central Vic.
Jrewing
4/15/2018 7:34pm
Just speaking truth. I said most not all the young guys, A bunch have tried lately and havent had the best luck or had a good...
Just speaking truth. I said most not all the young guys, A bunch have tried lately and havent had the best luck or had a good team to ride for.

Those young guys also need to try and get some exposure over in the US or GPs if thats what they want. I think dont overseas teams are coming to aus looking for young riders, so the young guys need to make themselves known over there.
MXMattii wrote:
I saw Beaton win his first pro race on livestream and emailed some people about how he was. Then one of them answered that Josh Coppins...
I saw Beaton win his first pro race on livestream and emailed some people about how he was. Then one of them answered that Josh Coppins was doing some stuff for him because he saw lots of work ethic in him. Back then I started to name drop his name to teams who were looking for replacement riders. Funny thing is that back then they thought Aussies weren't that great because Luke Styke really rode shit at KEMEA.

So I couldn't fix a competitive bike for him to ride one round at the EMX250. But Beaton came over on his own dime and then Josh Coppins put his neck out and gave him Courtney Duncans bike to ride the EMX250 in Switzerland. He finished decent and at his trainings in Lommel and other tracks people saw also his work ethics and eventually he got a deal with Dutch Honda team. The bikes weren't great, you see that in the results of him in 2017 in the EMX250. But one of his teammates already left before the season and the other complaint sometimes. Jed didn't complain, worked hard and tried to fight with the weapons he got. Honda HRC saw that he was a solid guy and gave him that replacement ride in the MX2 class on a HRC bike. Then normally he would've been HRC rider this year, but with Suzuki gone and Lawrence free Jed needed to go somewhere else.

Again he doesn't cry about the lost opportunity, he just makes his new ride work in 2018! He's a great ambassador for young Aussies and New-Zealand kids who wanna try it in Europe.

So to reply to your post: I try to give some Aussie talents some exposure in the European paddocks when I talk with team owners. Also sometimes I write a piece about them.
Matti is the people's champ here in Australia. Mate if you're over here and wanna place to stay near the beaches I'll put you up. Only problem is my son's 65 has 222 on it!

The Shop

PJRAUS
4/15/2018 9:01pm
Well I just got home. It was a fun weekend except for that driving wind!.
I rode bad, too timid, hands went numb first Moto from work related tendinitis, did a lot of shoulder stretching between motos and the problem went away so I rode better second Moto, my best lap was 5 secs quicker than best lap first Moto, but I'm gonna have to send my 125 suspension out for some pro setup. My 450 and 250 f suspension work a lot better, I think the 125 must have some pretty stiff ( non standard) springs in the forks. Do people setup mx bikes for dirt track by adding stiffer fork springs? I don't know anything about dirt track, but that's what my old 125 was used for before I got it last year...seems very unbalanced, the front is harsh as hel but the back seems fine.

Don't know if I will run the next 125 gold cup round at the double header in Maitland in May..entry fee wil be about $190 and I'll have to be there on Friday for signup/ riders briefing....probably a 10 hour drive so I'd havel to leave Thursday...
Considering I was 15th this weekend and getting lapped....I'm gonna need find somewhere to practice and make a substantial improvement , otherwise it's probably just a stupid idea to do the rest of the series.

Dean Ferris looked fantastic, ominous form....I bet he's looking for a clean ( every Moto ) sweep this year, saw Kirk Gibbs sitting in the tailgate of the KTM transporter looking very frustrated..he's got the rest of the field covered, he's hanging about 2 secs behind Ferriss then dropping a fair way back about half way through.
Ferriss ' bike looks to be performing awesome, the track was totally bomb cratered rough ( I was last Moto and it was really messed up ! ) .

Arron Tanti impressed me too in mx 2. Big holeshot in Moto 1 then went down and lost a bunch of spots then made his way back to third, big holeshot second Moto and a solid win.

All up, I'm happy I went, seeing all the big teams turnout, the exotic bikes, the amazing race transporters and racing on the same track as them , makes it something more than just another race.

Spectator turnout seemed poor to me....I really have no idea, but as a guess, I'd say 250 people would pull it up, very disappointing, but the track is way out in the sticks and it was a shit day.. Hopefully they get some big turnouts at other rounds
Bearuno
4/15/2018 9:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/15/2018 10:09pm
Did you scratch your head and wonder how the big teams and their transporters get the money / justify the expense? A few share them with their Enduro and Road Race teams, but I always question where the money comes from, and how the hell do they get it from the backers.

Good on them for finding the bucks to do it.

I guess there still is a fair amount of "Hotel Hi-Ace" racers out there - but many of them are in Big Vans (Merc Transporters, Ducados, etc) nowadays.

It's a bummer to see Ferris and others of his ilk back here, but, what do you do? - find a sponsor / backer that can allow you to make a living, or stop altogether. It's the way it always has been here. Though, the USA, with over 14 times our population, buys only just above 5 , to 6 times the amount of bikes we do. UTVs - well that's another matter entirely.........Woohoo

aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
4/15/2018 10:28pm
EZZA 95B wrote:
Any of you fuggers (Aussies) remember Nathan Crawford from back in the late '90s early 2000's?
He raced the opening round of SX last year.

Two Nathan Crawfords on the line.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
4/15/2018 10:37pm
JB479 wrote:
All the KTM and Husqvarna riders are running the production fork/shock, we at least the 48mm forks, no one is running the factory forks this year.

Something about KTM wanting to race what they sell.

The latest in WP Suspension technology has proven a winning
package in the 2018 New Zealand Motocross Championship,
with Kirk Gibbs and Hamish Harwood capturing the MX1 and
MX2 titles respectively.
Both equipped with the newly-introduced WP 48mm Cone
Valve fork and Trax Link shock absorber, CML KTM Racing duo
Gibbs (KTM 450 SX-F) and Harwood (KTM 250 SX) were
crowned following four intensive rounds of fast-paced
competition.
WP Suspension-supported race teams have transitioned to the
Cone Valve and Trax systems for the 2018 season, with both
Gibbs - who leads KTM Motocross Racing Team's MX
Nationals effort in Australia - and Kiwi talent Harwood swiftly
adapting to the winning combination.
The WP 48mm Cone Valve fork features a unique valving
system that permits almost limitless damping performance,
providing a significant balance between sufficient comfort and
bottoming resistance. It is lightweight in construction with a
high-quality coating, offering increased comfort in a competition
environment. All adjustments are made externally, while a
reduced sealing surface results in a minimised drop in pressure
after the valve opens.
In addition, the WP Trax Link shock absorber is the most
innovative system on the market. Extremely compact and
successfully implemented by KTM Factory Racing
internationally with multiple world championships, it has been
developed to reduce time from between bumps and when riders
can accelerate. The bike rides higher in the stroke, effectively
minimising the suspension 'packing down' and increasing rear
wheel traction.
WP Suspension products are now distributed locally by KTM
Group Australia, with Authorised Centres currently being
established to sell and service both WP OEM equipment and
Pro Components parts throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Further details on the products can be sourced via:
http://www.wp-group.com/
MXMA 4800 Cone Valve Fork
TRAX Link Shock
KIRK GIBBS
"It's been a smooth transition to the new WP 48mm Cone Valve
fork and we had a pretty short turnaround with it before racing in
New Zealand. We did a setting and were reasonably happy
straight away, fine-tuned them from there within a day, so to
achieve that and feel so comfortable right away was really
positive. I definitely had no complaints, especially in NZ where
the tracks get super-rough. Paired with the Trax shock, it's a
great combination and, again, it was pretty easy for me as a
rider. The base setting was good and we went from there, so I
feel right at home with the package we're using. I'm looking
forward to kicking the season off at home now, because we've
definitely headed in the right direction."
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
4/15/2018 10:37pm
aaryn #234 wrote:

We need Robbie Marshall and Robbie Marshall to line up too!
jemcee
4/15/2018 11:01pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Well at least you didn't mention igloo's lol. Also, define super cold? Is super cold -30/-40C? doubt it but never know. That's what we call super...
Well at least you didn't mention igloo's lol. Also, define super cold? Is super cold -30/-40C? doubt it but never know. That's what we call super cold. It's actually not all that bad if there's no humidity but that's rarely the case out East.
jemcee wrote:
haha ah well yep just checked and yeah the real cold days are around there but it's like a shit dry windy cold like no snow...
haha ah well yep just checked and yeah the real cold days are around there but it's like a shit dry windy cold like no snow just dickhead cold haha but maybe someone from down there can answer that question better
MX690 wrote:
Mate no way does it get anywhere near -30 or -40c, the coldest I have seen it is about -5c and that's on a cold frosty...
Mate no way does it get anywhere near -30 or -40c, the coldest I have seen it is about -5c and that's on a cold frosty morning and then you end up with a warm sunny day, A shit cold day is about 8c and that's a bloody cold mid winter's day, and I'm in central Vic.
Yep I kooked and missed Maverick's C haha I thought he meant -30f and I checked and thought that's about 0c but I just checked again and I even kooked that out haha

So no one come to me for weather knowledge haha
JB479
4/16/2018 12:09am
JB479 wrote:
aaryn #234 wrote:
All the KTM and Husqvarna riders are running the production fork/shock, we at least the 48mm forks, no one is running the factory forks this year...
All the KTM and Husqvarna riders are running the production fork/shock, we at least the 48mm forks, no one is running the factory forks this year.

Something about KTM wanting to race what they sell.

The latest in WP Suspension technology has proven a winning
package in the 2018 New Zealand Motocross Championship,
with Kirk Gibbs and Hamish Harwood capturing the MX1 and
MX2 titles respectively.
Both equipped with the newly-introduced WP 48mm Cone
Valve fork and Trax Link shock absorber, CML KTM Racing duo
Gibbs (KTM 450 SX-F) and Harwood (KTM 250 SX) were
crowned following four intensive rounds of fast-paced
competition.
WP Suspension-supported race teams have transitioned to the
Cone Valve and Trax systems for the 2018 season, with both
Gibbs - who leads KTM Motocross Racing Team's MX
Nationals effort in Australia - and Kiwi talent Harwood swiftly
adapting to the winning combination.
The WP 48mm Cone Valve fork features a unique valving
system that permits almost limitless damping performance,
providing a significant balance between sufficient comfort and
bottoming resistance. It is lightweight in construction with a
high-quality coating, offering increased comfort in a competition
environment. All adjustments are made externally, while a
reduced sealing surface results in a minimised drop in pressure
after the valve opens.
In addition, the WP Trax Link shock absorber is the most
innovative system on the market. Extremely compact and
successfully implemented by KTM Factory Racing
internationally with multiple world championships, it has been
developed to reduce time from between bumps and when riders
can accelerate. The bike rides higher in the stroke, effectively
minimising the suspension 'packing down' and increasing rear
wheel traction.
WP Suspension products are now distributed locally by KTM
Group Australia, with Authorised Centres currently being
established to sell and service both WP OEM equipment and
Pro Components parts throughout Australia and New Zealand.
Further details on the products can be sourced via:
http://www.wp-group.com/
MXMA 4800 Cone Valve Fork
TRAX Link Shock
KIRK GIBBS
"It's been a smooth transition to the new WP 48mm Cone Valve
fork and we had a pretty short turnaround with it before racing in
New Zealand. We did a setting and were reasonably happy
straight away, fine-tuned them from there within a day, so to
achieve that and feel so comfortable right away was really
positive. I definitely had no complaints, especially in NZ where
the tracks get super-rough. Paired with the Trax shock, it's a
great combination and, again, it was pretty easy for me as a
rider. The base setting was good and we went from there, so I
feel right at home with the package we're using. I'm looking
forward to kicking the season off at home now, because we've
definitely headed in the right direction."
The 48mm cone valve is still an A-Kit fork. Ward is running a production Aer fork with a standard WP Shock. Every other factory supported rider is running the 48mm cone valve with trax shock. He's at a disadvantage because Ive have a set of48mm cone valves and they are alot better than the Aer fork.
I know that no-one is running the 52 anymore which is silly because every other factory husky/ktm team in the world are still running them.
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
4/16/2018 12:33am
Bearuno wrote:
Did you scratch your head and wonder how the big teams and their transporters get the money / justify the expense? A few share them with...
Did you scratch your head and wonder how the big teams and their transporters get the money / justify the expense? A few share them with their Enduro and Road Race teams, but I always question where the money comes from, and how the hell do they get it from the backers.

Good on them for finding the bucks to do it.

I guess there still is a fair amount of "Hotel Hi-Ace" racers out there - but many of them are in Big Vans (Merc Transporters, Ducados, etc) nowadays.

It's a bummer to see Ferris and others of his ilk back here, but, what do you do? - find a sponsor / backer that can allow you to make a living, or stop altogether. It's the way it always has been here. Though, the USA, with over 14 times our population, buys only just above 5 , to 6 times the amount of bikes we do. UTVs - well that's another matter entirely.........Woohoo

I wrote something long winded,

but in essence all of those trucks are privately funded teams with various amounts of "Factory" backing.

The only team in the pits that runs directly from a manufacturer is the KTM that Gibbs, Mastin and Clout are in.

The rest even CDR Yamaha are privately owned teams.
chump6784
4/16/2018 1:55am
PJRAUS wrote:
Well I just got home. It was a fun weekend except for that driving wind!. I rode bad, too timid, hands went numb first Moto from...
Well I just got home. It was a fun weekend except for that driving wind!.
I rode bad, too timid, hands went numb first Moto from work related tendinitis, did a lot of shoulder stretching between motos and the problem went away so I rode better second Moto, my best lap was 5 secs quicker than best lap first Moto, but I'm gonna have to send my 125 suspension out for some pro setup. My 450 and 250 f suspension work a lot better, I think the 125 must have some pretty stiff ( non standard) springs in the forks. Do people setup mx bikes for dirt track by adding stiffer fork springs? I don't know anything about dirt track, but that's what my old 125 was used for before I got it last year...seems very unbalanced, the front is harsh as hel but the back seems fine.

Don't know if I will run the next 125 gold cup round at the double header in Maitland in May..entry fee wil be about $190 and I'll have to be there on Friday for signup/ riders briefing....probably a 10 hour drive so I'd havel to leave Thursday...
Considering I was 15th this weekend and getting lapped....I'm gonna need find somewhere to practice and make a substantial improvement , otherwise it's probably just a stupid idea to do the rest of the series.

Dean Ferris looked fantastic, ominous form....I bet he's looking for a clean ( every Moto ) sweep this year, saw Kirk Gibbs sitting in the tailgate of the KTM transporter looking very frustrated..he's got the rest of the field covered, he's hanging about 2 secs behind Ferriss then dropping a fair way back about half way through.
Ferriss ' bike looks to be performing awesome, the track was totally bomb cratered rough ( I was last Moto and it was really messed up ! ) .

Arron Tanti impressed me too in mx 2. Big holeshot in Moto 1 then went down and lost a bunch of spots then made his way back to third, big holeshot second Moto and a solid win.

All up, I'm happy I went, seeing all the big teams turnout, the exotic bikes, the amazing race transporters and racing on the same track as them , makes it something more than just another race.

Spectator turnout seemed poor to me....I really have no idea, but as a guess, I'd say 250 people would pull it up, very disappointing, but the track is way out in the sticks and it was a shit day.. Hopefully they get some big turnouts at other rounds
Sounds like a good weekend overall, something to build on.

As for spectator numbers, if it wasn't for this post I wouldn't have even known it was on. I don't follow mx nationals on Facebook but do follow various media outlets and have a national race licence and heard nothing about it. I've since started following more pages to keep up to date but it's really not promoted that well
Bearuno
4/16/2018 2:16am
aaryn #234 wrote:
I wrote something long winded, but in essence all of those trucks are privately funded teams with various amounts of "Factory" backing. The only team in...

but in essence all of those trucks are privately funded teams with various amounts of "Factory" backing.

The only team in the pits that runs directly from a manufacturer is the KTM that Gibbs, Mastin and Clout are in.

I'm aware of all that.

It's when I see how few spectators we have at all sorts of MC events, I'm always impressed by the teams that manage to get the funding to run their efforts.

And the privateer majority that travels our vast country, to pursue the sport they love.

It's a bloody hard ask out there, when so much money and backing is sucked up by the mainstream sports.
PJRAUS
4/16/2018 4:30am
aaryn #234 wrote:
I wrote something long winded, but in essence all of those trucks are privately funded teams with various amounts of "Factory" backing. The only team in...

Bearuno wrote:
I'm aware of all that. It's when I see how few spectators we have at all sorts of MC events, I'm always impressed by the teams...
I'm aware of all that.

It's when I see how few spectators we have at all sorts of MC events, I'm always impressed by the teams that manage to get the funding to run their efforts.

And the privateer majority that travels our vast country, to pursue the sport they love.

It's a bloody hard ask out there, when so much money and backing is sucked up by the mainstream sports.
Precisely! I cannot believe the level of professionalism given the spectator turnout....it's beyond comprehension! Where the hell do the dollars come from? I know that for certain the racers themselves fund a big part of the bill.
I'm a proud member of the hotel hiace club... Literally!
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
4/16/2018 5:09am
aaryn #234 wrote:

EZZA 95B wrote:
We need Robbie Marshall and Robbie Marshall to line up too!
Haha so true, think it would be a close race, especially if they made it a combo Freestyle / SX race!
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
4/16/2018 5:12am
aaryn #234 wrote:

Bearuno wrote:
I'm aware of all that. It's when I see how few spectators we have at all sorts of MC events, I'm always impressed by the teams...
I'm aware of all that.

Cool lol sometimes I forget who the other Aussies are on this site, I should have looked at your location a little better Smile

For sure full props to these private companies / people who put the money in to the sport and keep the show running and to all the privateers who travel the country to race the series. It is a massive undertaking and expensive.

MXMattii
4/16/2018 9:10am
Jrewing wrote:
Matti is the people's champ here in Australia. Mate if you're over here and wanna place to stay near the beaches I'll put you up. Only...
Matti is the people's champ here in Australia. Mate if you're over here and wanna place to stay near the beaches I'll put you up. Only problem is my son's 65 has 222 on it!
Damn, but I think I can live with that. Don't know how I will cope with Snakes and spiders or are they only inland?
aaryn #234
Fantasy
2471st
4/18/2018 8:38pm
MXMattii wrote:
Damn, but I think I can live with that. Don't know how I will cope with Snakes and spiders or are they only inland?
No they are everywhere,

We have a Brown snake in my next door neighbours front yard a couple of months back.

My son had a spider in his room that he named Max, it was only a Huntsman, not poisonous to humans, but have a nasty bite, they are good spider though as the eat all the other spiders.

Plenty of spiders in the back yard, will find the occasional red back every year, or white tip spider, but most are just the common black spider, that while poisonous don't do to much harm unless you have a reaction.

VET176
4/19/2018 1:03am
MXMattii wrote:
aaryn #234 wrote:
No they are everywhere, We have a Brown snake in my next door neighbours front yard a couple of months back. My son had a spider...
No they are everywhere,

We have a Brown snake in my next door neighbours front yard a couple of months back.

My son had a spider in his room that he named Max, it was only a Huntsman, not poisonous to humans, but have a nasty bite, they are good spider though as the eat all the other spiders.

Plenty of spiders in the back yard, will find the occasional red back every year, or white tip spider, but most are just the common black spider, that while poisonous don't do to much harm unless you have a reaction.

It's OK Matti, the spiders here are mainly harmless. We get Huntsman in the house all the time.

They are great for keeping the mice out of the garage!

4/19/2018 2:02am
I wonder how many of our aussie guys are actually making a living...Not some shitty wage but enough to pay a mortage or atleast live on their own without mummy and daddy?
Ive heard a few of the 250 guys over the recent years have bought their spots on the teams. Very sad state the sport is in
Tim271
Fantasy
4446th
4/19/2018 3:04am
Raced at Newry a lot of times over the years, not really a national spec track if you ask me get pretty sketchy too, but I guess what other tracks in vic would be up to spec!

Need to get a national at ride park that would be all time
Jrewing
4/19/2018 3:18am
Tim271 wrote:
Raced at Newry a lot of times over the years, not really a national spec track if you ask me get pretty sketchy too, but I...
Raced at Newry a lot of times over the years, not really a national spec track if you ask me get pretty sketchy too, but I guess what other tracks in vic would be up to spec!

You're right mate. Need a Ridepark series where all the ride parks that have opened would feature.
Krusics place
Boppings place
Ranch Mx
Others??
Have to be better than the Goat tracks that are used.
PJRAUS
4/19/2018 3:21am
Tim271 wrote:
Raced at Newry a lot of times over the years, not really a national spec track if you ask me get pretty sketchy too, but I...

A national at ride park would be epic!
I rode Thursday practice at ride4mx today, was great! Lots of pros there.. Staying in Ararat tonight on my way to Horsham for the first round of the vic titles. Never ridden at Horsham, they reckon it's an awesome track, the Nationals were there for a while. From what I hear no club ever makes any money hosting a national, I don't know if Kevin Williams gives them anything at all. I hear most clubs get sucked in then wanna get out pretty quick
chump6784
4/19/2018 3:46am
I wonder how many of our aussie guys are actually making a living...Not some shitty wage but enough to pay a mortage or atleast live on...
I wonder how many of our aussie guys are actually making a living...Not some shitty wage but enough to pay a mortage or atleast live on their own without mummy and daddy?
Ive heard a few of the 250 guys over the recent years have bought their spots on the teams. Very sad state the sport is in
Going back around 5 years or so but I remember reading an interview with a rider who commented that guys like Ford Dale were taking rides where the salary was 25k or they were riding for free just to have a ride. The guy who won the 250 class last year was a privateer, KTM has picked him up for this year though
MXMattii
4/19/2018 3:33pm
aaryn #234 wrote:
No they are everywhere, We have a Brown snake in my next door neighbours front yard a couple of months back. My son had a spider...
No they are everywhere,

I get goosebumps only thinking and looking at that one picture. Damn! How do you guys nog get paranoid between those creatures?

Post a reply to: OZ MX Nationals rd 1 Newry

The Latest