OT- KTM 50 jr vs SX for my little girl

Moto331
Edited Date/Time 9/12/2017 10:12am
My girl went from a pw 50 to a TTR 50 and finally yesterday she rode a KTM jr. She's 8 yo, 60 pounds and 4 feet tall.

We race all over the place, she's definitely not fast at all, but that TTR is heavy and since she likes being in second gear, she doesn't make it up the jumps sometimes. I knew how much lighter the ktms were but the power worried me, but yesterday she got on one and did great! Controlled the gas well and loved it. Only hit the power band once and scared her lol

My question is this- what the hell are all the differences in the ktms?
I hear mini, jr, jr advanced, PRO, senior, Sx etc Jesus Christ there's so many. Didn't they just come out with the SX a few years ago? I remember seeing them around and since they were so big I mistakenly thought they were 65s... Those big boys were not around in the early 2000s.

Also, is the motor different in the big SX from the junior? Seems like if the motor was the same, I'd put her on the senior since it's taller, but if it is faster, sticking with the junior next year should be just fine. It seems to fit her good at the moment, not to mention those jr are only a thousand bucks..

Thanks for the help guys, I was the happiest dad in the world seeing her out there on a real racing bike. She got back on her ttr, did a lap and came back to say,
"WHAT IS THIS THING???" Hahah

|
Moto331
9/11/2017 12:21pm
I would put her on the SX instantly since it's taller and would fit her better, but if it is faster then the jr I'll wait a year for sure
Tracktor
9/11/2017 12:51pm
Originally they had-
SX series -Water cooled race bike
Adventure - air cooled not quite race bike

Yes they were more differences than that but keeping it simple. Both Series then had
Jr - Smaller frame
SR - Bigger frame

Motor was pretty much the same. All that changed in 09(?) or so. Don't quote me as my youngest rode Cobras about then so I didn't pay attention to the newer KTM's. Not sure what they have now but I think it's just JR/SR with same motor and different frames/suspension.............
9/11/2017 12:56pm
I would go with the Cobra CX50FWE or CX50. This bike would fit her better and superior suspension. You would have a few things going for you also..... American made, top notch customer service, easier to work on. Oh and they've won almost every national title for 24 years now.
Hammer 663s
9/11/2017 1:31pm
Get a 2010-2013 SX50 and add a Tomar Holeshot clutch. Adjustable, bullet-proof, and makes them a blast to ride. We went from a Jr to an SX at age 6 and he was ripping on the SX in a few weeks. Nothing wrong with the 2010-2012 SX 50s if you can find one that's not thashed to crap. There are some guys who do suspension very well for them, and ours was reliable since well maintained. If you are not racing LL you don't need a 2018.

Mike

The Shop

9/11/2017 1:37pm
I would imagine the KTM 50 Junior is slower but maybe not. Check with a local dealer or something and see.
JB 19
9/11/2017 2:24pm
Presently they only make a " mini" and "sx." The mini obviously smaller, oil injected, and has a smaller carburetor. The SX requires the gas to be mixed. The current bikes have an adjustable clutch that is nearly bullet proof in taken care of. 2013 is when the new style clutch came out.

The mini is intended for kids 4-6 years old. The SX won't be legal in the 4-6 class at most tracks. Go to KTM's website. They have pretty good info on the bikes.
3D
9/11/2017 3:07pm
I can tell you I had two kids on KTM 50's and so glad to be done with it because mine were 04's. They had shim style clutches and require a ton of maintenance. The Jr and Sr had the same engine but the SR had a bigger carb and was a little faster. The SR was more controllable though because it was longer and actually wheelied less than the Jr. My advice would be stay away from the older ones and get one with the newer style clutch and don't be afraid of the bigger bikes speed because like I said, it seemed easier to control and much more stable. Good luck. The 50 years suck for Dad.
Hallzilla
9/11/2017 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 9/11/2017 5:15pm
Get her on the SR and throw the JR clutch in. Spring loaded vs shimmed. Will lesson the "Hit" and smooth it out.
You could do this to the older ones, not sure about the last few year models. Good luck
9/11/2017 5:55pm
Or get a Cobra and not worry about swapping clutches, shimming clutches or cussing about 50's.,,,,,,
CrGuy2T
Fantasy
3719th
9/11/2017 8:33pm
The new ktm 50sx has the good clutch. I'd stay away from and pre 09 jr. they are horrible on clutches. If she has experience I'd go for a newer ktm sx sr. Make sure it has the disc clutch types. The newer 50's are a lot better than the older ones. You can always put a reducer in the carb and a smaller rear sprocket to detune it some. I know they used to have a power reduction kit but I'm not sure if they do on the newer models.
4DAIVIPAI2K5
9/12/2017 4:28am
At 8 years old she can't race the small wheeled class. She would need to be on the Sr. bike and at that only until she is 9 when she would have to move up to a 65.

From what I have seen buying bikes that old just ends up with more money in it, then just saving up and buying a newer bike to begin with.
RCF
9/12/2017 5:03am Edited Date/Time 9/12/2017 5:09am
Since she's 8 already and you guys want to race don't waste your money on a 50 , she's almost aged out. just get her a 65 then you have no headaches you can put a rekluse until she learns how to use the clutch.

I would see this a lot where dealership we'll talk you into buying the wrong bike ,because they don't have the right one to sell you .you show up at the track and all the other kids are on fire breathing 50s and you are at a huge disadvantage.
If you're going to race you need a race bike ttr's and XR are no good, the PW at least there's a class for that although not very big anymore. Keep what you got save some money and plan on moving up next year.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
9/12/2017 5:17am
I just got my 6 y/o a KTM mini with training wheels - hopefully next year she can get on the 50 SX if she keeps it going.

Moto331
9/12/2017 9:07am
Thanks for all the help, it's unreal.
So is there MORE power on the KTM sx senior then let's say an 05 jr KTM 50? Or about the same? i am definitely now looking at Cobras too, haven't heard a bad thing about them..
4DAIVIPAI2K5
9/12/2017 10:12am
Power, suspension, handling, maintenance will all be better with a newer bike.

All of the kids my boy races with including my son all had a KTM, all are on Cobra's now. I think cobras are ugly as shit, but they run strong. I know it is mostly in the wrist but all the kids we know are more comfortable on the cobra's.

Once again she CAN NOT race a 05 Jr 50 at he age. Depending on when her birthday is, she may only be able to race a Sr. bike until Dec 31. 2017.

A 50 Sr. and a 65 are the only options you have to continue to race.

Post a reply to: OT- KTM 50 jr vs SX for my little girl

The Latest