O'Neal & Its Social Media Influencers

11/21/2020 7:25pm

Just look at the views Buttery gets. Its crazy they dont sponsor medium too.

How many eyes does a copy of MXA or Racer X actually get?

wicksy85
Fantasy
1276th
11/21/2020 7:59pm
Just look at the views Buttery gets. Its crazy they dont sponsor medium too. How many eyes does a copy of MXA or Racer X actually...

Mediumboy is set with Unit, they got money to throw around aswell
mxtech1
11/21/2020 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 11/21/2020 9:04pm
Just look at the views Buttery gets. Its crazy they dont sponsor medium too. How many eyes does a copy of MXA or Racer X actually...

Print media has its niche audience. The numbers aren’t good though when you start looking at how much reach YouTube videos have in comparison.

The AMA estimates their print media at ~410k per month and that’s assuming a 2.5 times “pass-around” rate.

There’s so many people that use social to watch Moto content that any nicely done video is going to get more total distribution (views) from 1 video than what the print companies can accomplish in a year.

mx_563
11/22/2020 8:09am
Can't say I was influenced to buy, but I think it was Swapmoto's apparent product placing of O'Neal that made me (re)take notice of it in recent times.

Anyway I'm old(ish). My first pair of dirt bike boots were O'Neal Trail Lite back in the late 80s. I just bought some Hallman Legend pants. My influencers have grey hair.

The Shop

Bobby Skeet
11/22/2020 7:42pm
I was just talking about this to my son the other day. My son was talking about a kid he knows. He raced one desert race and the kid gets a sponsor for 50% off from a well known gear company. He ask how come he is unable to score a sponsor with 50% off. I laugh and ask him what was the kids social media count is. My son stated that his IG, and Tik Tok were pretty high, I said bingo son. Its all about the social media count now a days lol. He laughs and said well hey if I make cool videos and party like Buttery I'd get free gear. I said yeah but would you wear O'Neal gear, he said no and laughs. I told him to just have fun racing, work hard, train hard and do good in school and the rest will come together. You'll get a good job and be able to buy what ever gear and bikes you want. He smiles and says I know. I just wanted to know what your thoughts about it. Kids now a days lol lol.
11/22/2020 10:38pm
I was just talking about this to my son the other day. My son was talking about a kid he knows. He raced one desert race...
I was just talking about this to my son the other day. My son was talking about a kid he knows. He raced one desert race and the kid gets a sponsor for 50% off from a well known gear company. He ask how come he is unable to score a sponsor with 50% off. I laugh and ask him what was the kids social media count is. My son stated that his IG, and Tik Tok were pretty high, I said bingo son. Its all about the social media count now a days lol. He laughs and said well hey if I make cool videos and party like Buttery I'd get free gear. I said yeah but would you wear O'Neal gear, he said no and laughs. I told him to just have fun racing, work hard, train hard and do good in school and the rest will come together. You'll get a good job and be able to buy what ever gear and bikes you want. He smiles and says I know. I just wanted to know what your thoughts about it. Kids now a days lol lol.
I’m not a dad yet but that’s the exact advice I would give to my future child.
agn5009
11/23/2020 6:45am
FWYT wrote:
"Influencers" . . . . ugh. When I hear someone say they are an influencer, I say if you have to tell me, then you're not...
"Influencers" . . . . ugh. When I hear someone say they are an influencer, I say if you have to tell me, then you're not.

But of course, we are all for sure influenced by certain people. Always have been, it's just a different medium these days. But I like to think I'm influenced more by Deano or Billy Bolt than I am Shmuttery.
Same. There’s some really good content on YouTube if you do some digging. Billy Bolts videos are really cool. But yeah, Buttery is essentially what most of us hate to see out of a fellow dirt bike rider. Other than being an awesome rider there’s not much I like about his character/persona. I have respect for him though. He created his own brand and is making good money doing it.

Hodges has really grown over the years. I watch his stuff every now and then. I like his personality.
agn5009
11/23/2020 6:47am
mx_563 wrote:
Can't say I was influenced to buy, but I think it was Swapmoto's apparent product placing of O'Neal that made me (re)take notice of it in...
Can't say I was influenced to buy, but I think it was Swapmoto's apparent product placing of O'Neal that made me (re)take notice of it in recent times.

Anyway I'm old(ish). My first pair of dirt bike boots were O'Neal Trail Lite back in the late 80s. I just bought some Hallman Legend pants. My influencers have grey hair.
Their ad for $100 gear sets on vitals front page made me take notice.
Joe512
11/23/2020 6:55am
I wouldn't wear it because of a specific person but watching a vlog and seeing a gear set that I like actually on the track and in video persuades me more so then a white background studio picture of it not on anyone.
11/23/2020 7:57am
FWYT wrote:
"Influencers" . . . . ugh. When I hear someone say they are an influencer, I say if you have to tell me, then you're not...
"Influencers" . . . . ugh. When I hear someone say they are an influencer, I say if you have to tell me, then you're not.

But of course, we are all for sure influenced by certain people. Always have been, it's just a different medium these days. But I like to think I'm influenced more by Deano or Billy Bolt than I am Shmuttery.
agn5009 wrote:
Same. There’s some really good content on YouTube if you do some digging. Billy Bolts videos are really cool. But yeah, Buttery is essentially what most...
Same. There’s some really good content on YouTube if you do some digging. Billy Bolts videos are really cool. But yeah, Buttery is essentially what most of us hate to see out of a fellow dirt bike rider. Other than being an awesome rider there’s not much I like about his character/persona. I have respect for him though. He created his own brand and is making good money doing it.

Hodges has really grown over the years. I watch his stuff every now and then. I like his personality.
Calm down Karen. I don’t know buttery but from all reports he’s generous with his time with the young fans and isn’t hurting anyone out here. There could be much worse people as a face for moto.
agn5009
11/23/2020 8:09am
FWYT wrote:

agn5009 wrote:
Same. There’s some really good content on YouTube if you do some digging. Billy Bolts videos are really cool. But yeah, Buttery is essentially what most...

Calm down Karen. I don’t know buttery but from all reports he’s generous with his time with the young fans and isn’t hurting anyone out here...
Calm down Karen. I don’t know buttery but from all reports he’s generous with his time with the young fans and isn’t hurting anyone out here. There could be much worse people as a face for moto.
I said I respect what he does. It’s just not for me. So since this upsets you to this point of name calling, wouldn’t you be the Karen? Laughing
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
11/23/2020 8:17am
Timing. I'm down with the advertising strategies on YouTube, Instagram and all, especially in this age of followers and very few leaders it is absolutely genius to take advantage of the state of people in this day but can we agree that the thousands of people that have 1000 instagram close up selfies and nothing else are complete psychopaths, I mean next level psychopaths.
People are so different now a days and i am still pretty young. I pay $25 an hour to literally play/socialize with animals and some feeding and a little cleaning and maintenance. A dream job. I let people do what they want and have never been mad at anyone at all. These people are here so I can help them in life by helping me so its pressure free and all about the animals but....Every single university person I hire can't function. They have extra special needs and have to ask for things to do when there is obviously tons. Every person will ask me what's next after every chore? for example I'll say change the waters in back section. After that the person will step over 5 trash cans knocked over by giant tortoises on the walk back to ask whats next. I am like pick up the garbage you just stepped over on the way over here duh. Always all apologies and they say this generation doesn't like to think for themselves and need told what to do. I am always like well just stop that. No kid i know growing up could step over those cans at a strangers house let alone a paid job. Most see how nice we are and start never showing up and most want advances right away. I ended up hiring some old ladies almost twice my age that are ten times better than all the kids combined and don't need constant special attention.
This is why YouTube influences are rich, too easy to influence. It definitely the time of followers.
Shit we have so much Jamie O'Brian, Koa Rothman, Ben gravy etc merch ourselves that its absolutely brilliant marketing.
11/23/2020 8:32am
FLmxer wrote:
Timing. I'm down with the advertising strategies on YouTube, Instagram and all, especially in this age of followers and very few leaders it is absolutely genius...
Timing. I'm down with the advertising strategies on YouTube, Instagram and all, especially in this age of followers and very few leaders it is absolutely genius to take advantage of the state of people in this day but can we agree that the thousands of people that have 1000 instagram close up selfies and nothing else are complete psychopaths, I mean next level psychopaths.
People are so different now a days and i am still pretty young. I pay $25 an hour to literally play/socialize with animals and some feeding and a little cleaning and maintenance. A dream job. I let people do what they want and have never been mad at anyone at all. These people are here so I can help them in life by helping me so its pressure free and all about the animals but....Every single university person I hire can't function. They have extra special needs and have to ask for things to do when there is obviously tons. Every person will ask me what's next after every chore? for example I'll say change the waters in back section. After that the person will step over 5 trash cans knocked over by giant tortoises on the walk back to ask whats next. I am like pick up the garbage you just stepped over on the way over here duh. Always all apologies and they say this generation doesn't like to think for themselves and need told what to do. I am always like well just stop that. No kid i know growing up could step over those cans at a strangers house let alone a paid job. Most see how nice we are and start never showing up and most want advances right away. I ended up hiring some old ladies almost twice my age that are ten times better than all the kids combined and don't need constant special attention.
This is why YouTube influences are rich, too easy to influence. It definitely the time of followers.
Shit we have so much Jamie O'Brian, Koa Rothman, Ben gravy etc merch ourselves that its absolutely brilliant marketing.
I partially disagree and tend to think that younger generations along with recent graduates have been influenced by alternative parenting methods and technology.

I’m young and recently graduated; however, in my short two years at the company I work for, I’ve received two promotions in which I’ve surpassed colleagues with seniority and more experience.

Growing up, I had a comfortable middle class lifestyle but I saw how hard both my parents worked. I knew they sacrificed a ton for me to go to college so I knew I had to take advantage and not take anything for granted.

In comparison, many of my classmates from college are working as baristas or minimums wage paying jobs because their parents funded their entire lives.

From middle school all the way through college, I worked every Friday cleaning a warehouse. Literally, every single Friday for 10 years. That thought me discipline. And when I graduated and started my career, I accepted every task and went above and beyond. I’m a millennial but I know the value of hard work.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
11/23/2020 8:34am
I partially disagree and tend to think that younger generations along with recent graduates have been influenced by alternative parenting methods and technology. I’m young and...
I partially disagree and tend to think that younger generations along with recent graduates have been influenced by alternative parenting methods and technology.

I’m young and recently graduated; however, in my short two years at the company I work for, I’ve received two promotions in which I’ve surpassed colleagues with seniority and more experience.

Growing up, I had a comfortable middle class lifestyle but I saw how hard both my parents worked. I knew they sacrificed a ton for me to go to college so I knew I had to take advantage and not take anything for granted.

In comparison, many of my classmates from college are working as baristas or minimums wage paying jobs because their parents funded their entire lives.

From middle school all the way through college, I worked every Friday cleaning a warehouse. Literally, every single Friday for 10 years. That thought me discipline. And when I graduated and started my career, I accepted every task and went above and beyond. I’m a millennial but I know the value of hard work.
You are hired.🙂
Broughton859
11/25/2020 9:05am
I think a lot of you guys are underestimating how much influence these guys have on newer riders and younger riders. Plus for the amount on money, if any, it takes to sponsor the "influencer" guy is pennies on the dollar compared to top tier racers.

For me personally, it doesn't influence me on my gear choices. However like someone mentioned previously, if I was a new rider it 100% would. It happens to me all the time with MTB or car influencers.

Post a reply to: O'Neal & Its Social Media Influencers

The Latest