O'Neal & Its Social Media Influencers

Related:
Create New Tag

11/19/2020 1:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2020 1:41 PM

Off season topics LET'S GO (see what I did there).

O'Neal's marketing strategy is definitely different than any other gear company right now (IMO). They currently have some of Youtube/Instagram's most popular influencers. Buttery, Deano, AJ Cat, Tido, Gorden Keck (GK47), Alex Ray, Justin Hill, etc.

I'm curious to hear if any of you or your buddies have purchased O'Neal gear given that you were "influenced" through these VLOGS, edits, photos, and posts.

|

11/19/2020 1:41 PM

I buy the shit I want. Don't care who wears it or promotes it.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/19/2020 1:45 PM

...I live my life SOLELY by following social media influencers. If they are selling it, I want it...


/S

tongue

|

11/19/2020 1:48 PM

foreman52 wrote:

Off season topics LET'S GO (see what I did there).

O'Neal's marketing strategy is definitely different than any other gear company right now (IMO). They currently have some of Youtube/Instagram's most popular influencers. Buttery, Deano, AJ Cat, Tido, Gorden Keck (GK47), Alex Ray, Justin Hill, etc.

I'm curious to hear if any of you or your buddies have purchased O'Neal gear given that you were "influenced" through these VLOGS, edits, photos, and posts.

I think, if anything, it's a subconscious thing. You might not buy the gear solely because someone like Deano wears it, but you might associate wearing O'Neal gear with being cool like the riders who wear it that you've been exposed to.

|

11/19/2020 1:49 PM

Buttery has actually turned me off of O’Neal

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

11/19/2020 2:29 PM

Social media influences more the ignorant. I don't say that in a bad way. More so, people just getting into an activity with zero preconceived notions. I started woodworking a few years ago and watched countless YouTube videos and was following all kinds of woodworkers on Instagram. I know for a fact that a lot of the stuff I bought was based on what those guys were using and there are companies that flood the social media scene with product and I happen to now own said product.

I think it's going to be hard for a company like O'Neal to get a lot of customers to switch from Fox, Fly, etc but the new guys and gals entering the sport and learning about it through social media, that's their target and they'll be successful to an extent.

|

11/19/2020 3:04 PM

I'd be lying if I said I didn't wear O'Neal gear mostly due to the fact that Deano is my guy. The stuff looks sick of course but I definitely try to support the people who support the dudes I root for.

|

11/19/2020 3:10 PM

Johnny Ringo wrote:

Buttery has actually turned me off of O’Neal

Cue the Buttery fanboys calling you a dumbass in 3...2...1...

On topic: I bought a pair of these back in the day because I thought Eric Kehoe was a boss. Does that count?

Photo

|

11/19/2020 3:19 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I buy the shit I want. Don't care who wears it or promotes it.

Ditto. Simply just not a fan of the designs of oneal. The splattered paint stuff is horrible.

|

11/19/2020 3:31 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

I buy the shit I want. Don't care who wears it or promotes it.

This

Am more likely not to buy stuff , based on who wears it, rather than the other way round.

|

11/19/2020 4:01 PM

I mean influencers are essentially just another marketing communications tool. Like billboards,ads,sponsoring events etc. and with any of those I think the main goal is to build awareness. so just given the fact that there is a whole forum on how they are using influencers...yeah I’d say it’s working! I mean even the guys talking shit about them are still building awareness. Then the next time someone who sees their posts or sees this forum decides to buy gear, they may remember O’Neill and decide to look at their gear and purchase it. I don’t think the tool is to sell gear. Just to build their brand image and awareness.

|

11/19/2020 4:06 PM

I wear Troy Lee Designs. It's a self-influenced choice.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

11/19/2020 4:10 PM

My buddy bought some O'NEAL because they were the cheapest kits where ever he was at the time, I believe he likes buttery... He is also the biggest squid in the group. Not saying they correlate

|

11/19/2020 4:34 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2020 4:35 PM

I seriously doubt O'Neal has any sort of coordinated social media strategy. Most of the guys you mentioned aren't exactly top tier riders. They all individually put effort into their social media presence, which O'Neal can piggy-back off of.

If anything, their strategy appears to be not putting a lot of money behind any one particular rider or riders.

|

11/19/2020 4:38 PM

I like that they supported Deano when he was on route to be a privateer

|

11/19/2020 4:45 PM

No. Influencers make me not want to buy there product. I buy what I like, which was Troy Lee until it all started looking like clown outfits and I switched to Fox.

|

11/19/2020 4:48 PM

Some form of internet magic had this buttery fellow pop up on my YouTube browsing.

Looks like a party guy who likes dirt bikes and would be irrelevant if social media wasn’t a thing.

|

11/19/2020 5:04 PM

Marty is in Oneal now also

O’Neal’s rider support program for amateurs is hard to beat

|

11/19/2020 5:27 PM

The reason I have bought some O'Neal stuff in the last few years is because they've improved their look and style drastically.

|

11/19/2020 5:36 PM

I wear Moose Sahara because its cooler than the rest. Temperature wise anyway. Moose doesn't advertise as much as the other brands. I wear a Shoei evo helmet because its a good helmet. I never bothered to check which pro wears them. The same for my Sidi boots. The internet and social media has very little impact on my purchasing decisions.

|

11/19/2020 6:05 PM

It some of the most durable gear out today. Jim and the family are all great people to know. I wear another brand because I have used them for years before I met Jim. It’s a loyalty issue I have and they have been great to me. If I were to ever change it would be to O’Neal.

|

11/19/2020 6:10 PM

I bought shift because of Reed and Emig. I bought O’Neal because you don’t see as many people wear it around Indiana area.
I absolutely loved the Their 83 retro line several years back.

|

11/19/2020 6:35 PM

Oneal is the champion brand of mx. Cheap af but somehow it's trendy all of a sudden. Pass from me.

Also, tido sucks

|

2001 Suzuki RM125 #12 Carson Racing

11/19/2020 6:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/19/2020 6:39 PM

Jeremy Macbeth wrote:

I seriously doubt O'Neal has any sort of coordinated social media strategy. Most of the guys you mentioned aren't exactly top tier riders. They all individually put effort into their social media presence, which O'Neal can piggy-back off of.

If anything, their strategy appears to be not putting a lot of money behind any one particular rider or riders.

It’s 2020 and every company is aware of the effects of social media thus the creation of influencers. Buttery instantly touches half a million people,for O’Neil. Doesn’t need to be a top tier rider. Bike skills got nothing to do with influencing. Do the math...

|

11/19/2020 6:42 PM

I got some O’Neal this year after Alex Ray had a good looking kit on the kawi. We watch some of buttery’s videos too.

FYI for those that don’t know O’Neal element (cheap) is totallyyyyyy different Fromm O’Neal hardware(not cheap)

|

11/19/2020 6:42 PM

tuttle425 wrote:

Social media influences more the ignorant. I don't say that in a bad way. More so, people just getting into an activity with zero preconceived notions. I started woodworking a few years ago and watched countless YouTube videos and was following all kinds of woodworkers on Instagram. I know for a fact that a lot of the stuff I bought was based on what those guys were using and there are companies that flood the social media scene with product and I happen to now own said product.

I think it's going to be hard for a company like O'Neal to get a lot of customers to switch from Fox, Fly, etc but the new guys and gals entering the sport and learning about it through social media, that's their target and they'll be successful to an extent.

You are so right. I was getting into guitar painting and staining. So I looked up some videos. And I bought the stuff that they told me to buy. of course I got too busy and haven't even messed with it at all

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

11/19/2020 6:45 PM

Anyone can walk into a cycle gear and get an O'neal Helmet, boots, and gear for $350 and they absolutely KILL that market.

|

Instagram @KennyAlderden

11/19/2020 6:55 PM

So this is kind of weird. I was watching some old '90s supercross and for some reason was really craving a Coors light. I grabbed one from the fridge and sat down. And then I saw..... Photo

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

11/19/2020 7:08 PM

Was that a conscious decision on Oneals part or just a coincidence? theres been a bunch of dorks in my area with all white bikes with some grey graphics. Isnt that Butterys look? So these squids are definitely influenced by him. Shit theyre called “Influencers”. Hot young chicks will get paid for saying theyre using this or that makeup on instagram. It works. Being cool is the most important thing in America. Its worth money

|

11/19/2020 7:10 PM

foreman52 wrote:

Off season topics LET'S GO (see what I did there).

O'Neal's marketing strategy is definitely different than any other gear company right now (IMO). They currently have some of Youtube/Instagram's most popular influencers. Buttery, Deano, AJ Cat, Tido, Gorden Keck (GK47), Alex Ray, Justin Hill, etc.

I'm curious to hear if any of you or your buddies have purchased O'Neal gear given that you were "influenced" through these VLOGS, edits, photos, and posts.

i buy it cuz i can get a sponsor deal for half off,

and since i can get 2-3 sets vs retail for a set of Fox for example i cant really justify buying Fox when im on a budget

|

"If you feel in control, you're not going fast enough" ~Mario Andretti