OE dealerships and what to stock?

9/18/2021 4:18pm
I could order something Wednesday afternoon and have it Thursday at my dealer, if they didn’t have what I needed. That’s faster than any Rocky Mountain, Motorsport etc, hell faster than amazon. I’ll gladly pay literally a few dollars more to have it that quickly. Picked up a set of starcross’s and it was a better deal than anywhere online.
wreckitrandy
9/18/2021 4:24pm
I owned a Suzuki franchise for many years and sold it in 2004 because I saw the writing on wall. When the internet was blowing up...
I owned a Suzuki franchise for many years and sold it in 2004 because I saw the writing on wall. When the internet was blowing up and online shopping became the thing I knew it was time to bail out. We sold bike for 100 to 500 over cost helping racers and riders but these same customer were never loyal even giving a discount on parts. I stocked everything for Suzuki RM's , everything except frames and If I didnt have the part on the shelf I would take it off a new bike to help a fellow racer or good customer. I was tired of broke ass whiners non loyal customers and selling my franchise was the best thing I ever did. I am glad to see the KTM and Japanese bike shops holding profit margins these days on bikes and parts, they are in it for profit after all! Oh and If you really are a off roader racer you should have that sprocket , tire, tube , levers as spares!! Why are you NOT stocking those in your garage? Give me a break!! Stop whining! I am sure you are same whiner type that dealers dont care for anyway.
Preach!
9/18/2021 4:31pm
Oh and I forgot to add , keep supporting the online shops and you wont have a local dealer anymore. You know what happens after the local dealer disappears ? You will pay much more for bikes and for that sprocket online. Thats how the market got here in the first place.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
9/19/2021 12:05pm
When I worked at a dealer, we just stocked items likely to wear out/go bad with no notice. You'll know if your sprockets are getting close and can order them ahead of time. (If ordered from parts unlimited before 1pm, it was usually in our hands the next day by the same time). Spark plugs, oil filters, brake pads, etc, were all they stocked for EACH model. There may have been a few sprockets on the wall for popular models, and ARC levers, etc, but tires and SXS parts took up the majority of stock room. I was shocked when I needed a head gasket for my 07 CRF 250 and a dealer had one in stock when I was in Ohio.

The Shop

8tensolutions
9/19/2021 3:59pm
I owned a Suzuki franchise for many years and sold it in 2004 because I saw the writing on wall. When the internet was blowing up...
I owned a Suzuki franchise for many years and sold it in 2004 because I saw the writing on wall. When the internet was blowing up and online shopping became the thing I knew it was time to bail out. We sold bike for 100 to 500 over cost helping racers and riders but these same customer were never loyal even giving a discount on parts. I stocked everything for Suzuki RM's , everything except frames and If I didnt have the part on the shelf I would take it off a new bike to help a fellow racer or good customer. I was tired of broke ass whiners non loyal customers and selling my franchise was the best thing I ever did. I am glad to see the KTM and Japanese bike shops holding profit margins these days on bikes and parts, they are in it for profit after all! Oh and If you really are a off roader racer you should have that sprocket , tire, tube , levers as spares!! Why are you NOT stocking those in your garage? Give me a break!! Stop whining! I am sure you are same whiner type that dealers dont care for anyway.
Yep. This is accurate. The moto guys are the worst customers and demand the most. They should be "sponsored" because they go 3rd in the C at chicken licks raceway on Wednesday's night race with 4 total entries. Even if you do sponsor them, they will buy from somewhere else if it's 50 cents cheaper. Too bad.

On the other hand, some dealers really do suck and have poorly trained employees, don't stock anything, and also don't know anything about what they sell. Just like any other business.
APLMAN99
9/19/2021 4:33pm
ebers wrote:
I’m beating a dead horse, but I can’t help it… Is it unreasonable to think an OEM dealership should stock common wear items? Let’s say a...
I’m beating a dead horse, but I can’t help it…

Is it unreasonable to think an OEM dealership should stock common wear items?

Let’s say a Honda dealership, stocking a 13t front sprocket for a CRF450X? Aftermarket or OE.

Is this asking too much from your local dealer?

And let me be clear - this isn’t just out of stock, this is just simply not stocked.
Your question is valid, but what do you believe the answer really should be?

Using your own example, how much inventory should a dealer invest in for all the possible wear parts for all models?

I remember a few of our ‘old’ dealers here who, when they were sold to new owners, had literally thousands of old, dusty parts bins with parts that they recovered pennies on the dollar from not including the inflation involved over the years.

The current state of dealers is pretty difficult, and it’s almost a ‘chicken or the egg’ kind of thing. Did online become predominant because dealers didn’t offer product on hand or did dealers stop stocking product because shoppers moved to online to save a few dollars?

In my little area I’d say that it was mostly the second one, but I’m pretty sure that overall it was a mixture of both.

From a business perspective, though, it would be hard to spend hundreds of thousands on parts inventory that may or may not turn over at least a couple of times every year.
ebers
Fantasy
250th
9/20/2021 4:27am
Some good points and insight from a few of you. But I think a lot of you are thinking I’m asking for a dealership to stock a left engine hanger or something odd… I’m asking the bare basic stuff a dealership should carry?

A stock-sized chain and sprocket, some levers, brake pads, and air and oil filters. Just seem like the most common worn item that should be carried by an OE dealership in my opinion.

I’m not asking for the world, I don’t expect that… but simple things go a long ways.

And to some of you, I’m not whining whatsoever. I buy a majority of my parts from my dealerships, my mouse bibs, plastics, sprockets, I order ahead and wait my time and pay the prices. This was just my first time dealing with a Honda dealership and I was blown away that a stock sized front sprocket wasn’t a stocked item.

Again - this wasn’t an “out of stock”, this was a “we don’t stock” item.
Spooner
9/20/2021 5:49am
wydopen wrote:
What if instead of distributors paying to house items in a warehouse they used dealers space to hold the parts. Dealer doesn’t pay for the part...
What if instead of distributors paying to house items in a warehouse they used dealers space to hold the parts. Dealer doesn’t pay for the part until it sells and shops close to each other can share inventory. Would save everyone $.
There was a distributor that tried that, it didn't end well for them.
8tensolutions
9/20/2021 7:02am
ebers wrote:
Some good points and insight from a few of you. But I think a lot of you are thinking I’m asking for a dealership to stock...
Some good points and insight from a few of you. But I think a lot of you are thinking I’m asking for a dealership to stock a left engine hanger or something odd… I’m asking the bare basic stuff a dealership should carry?

A stock-sized chain and sprocket, some levers, brake pads, and air and oil filters. Just seem like the most common worn item that should be carried by an OE dealership in my opinion.

I’m not asking for the world, I don’t expect that… but simple things go a long ways.

And to some of you, I’m not whining whatsoever. I buy a majority of my parts from my dealerships, my mouse bibs, plastics, sprockets, I order ahead and wait my time and pay the prices. This was just my first time dealing with a Honda dealership and I was blown away that a stock sized front sprocket wasn’t a stocked item.

Again - this wasn’t an “out of stock”, this was a “we don’t stock” item.
This is very valid and I was not thinking you were whining. The issue is there are not enough like you out there. Most moto guys would find the sprocket for 10% less and buy online rather than getting it from the dealer and thats the issue in my opinion. The dealer has to do their part, yes, but the customer also has to be there for it to matter. On the moto side, its really bad. I guarantee that same dealer has all the parts you mentioned for UTV's and Goldwings. Moto has more guys that work on their own stuff which also contributes to the issue. The parts department "sells" more parts to the service dept than over the counter all day/every day.
Robbirob25
9/20/2021 7:22am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
This could be resolved simply by taking the “we can have it next week” and making it “we have it this afternoon.” I understand it’s impossible...
This could be resolved simply by taking the “we can have it next week” and making it “we have it this afternoon.”

I understand it’s impossible for a dealer to stock every part for every bike/ATV/UTV/PWC. There needs to be a warehouse, or distribution hub, that stocks all the parts for multiple dealers within a certain area. The dealers need a “parts runner” in a van that runs from the dealership to the warehouse and back twice a day. Early am and noon. Customers who order parts before noon will have their parts available when the “parts runner” arrives back from his noon trip. Parts ordered after 12pm will be available first thing tomorrow morning.

I just don’t understand how someone can order a part online and have it in 2 days, but if a dealership orders it, it takes a week. That, IMO is what’s killing them more than pricing. 99% of people that go into a dealership to get parts, aren’t going because they have the best price. They’re going because they want their part now. Focus on that, because “getting parts quick” is and should be the dealerships strength against online retailers.
Because a customer doesn't have to have a "Minimum Dollar Amount" to get the shipping cost covered in the margin of a Spark Plug, or Countershaft Sprocket. A dealer does.
gt80rider
9/20/2021 8:51am
My local dealers don't even stock bars, grips, grip glue, or safety wire...and yes, they are absolutely freakn useless
TeamGreen
9/20/2021 10:18am
Damn!

I wanna have a beer with this guy.
9/20/2021 10:29am
Just feel lucky if you have a local dealership that can even order MX bikes. None of the local hon/kaw/yam/Suz dealers are even franchised for the mx line from the mcf’s. They don’t stock any mx bikes, parts, tires, riding gear, etc.

Motocross is less than 5% of powersports sales when you factor in street bikes, atv’s, utv’s, SXS, sleds and watercraft. Really cant blame them for ignoring us since we are such a small factor. Just being realistic.
BigBoreFan58
9/20/2021 10:33am
This is good advice right here, Stock your own parts. That's what I do. And when i use a part in my inventory, I order a new one, from an online vendor.
gt80rider
9/20/2021 12:30pm
This is good advice right here, Stock your own parts. That's what I do. And when i use a part in my inventory, I order a...
This is good advice right here, Stock your own parts. That's what I do. And when i use a part in my inventory, I order a new one, from an online vendor.
Good advice? Buy things you may never need or use? That is called Wasting money... if the local dealer would just do their fu King job, all the parts I would need, should be a 5 minute drive away.... but they are too lazy/too rich to give a fuk to do it....
BigBoreFan58
9/20/2021 1:31pm
This is good advice right here, Stock your own parts. That's what I do. And when i use a part in my inventory, I order a...
gt80rider wrote:
Good advice? Buy things you may never need or use? That is called Wasting money... if the local dealer would just do their fu King job...
Good advice? Buy things you may never need or use? That is called Wasting money... if the local dealer would just do their fu King job, all the parts I would need, should be a 5 minute drive away.... but they are too lazy/too rich to give a fuk to do it....
Not that big of a deal. Oil filters, air filters, grips, throttle cable, bolt kit, brake pads, whatever items you know are prone to break on your model. There's no good dealer within 100 miles of my house. My options are online. So I stock a few items. I've been on KTM's for a long time, most of the parts cover multiple models. Plus, any parts I don't use I can sell on a forum or I can sell a used bike that's in great shape, My used bikes sell quickly at my asking price.

TeamGreen
9/20/2021 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 9/20/2021 2:40pm
gt80rider wrote:
Good advice? Buy things you may never need or use? That is called Wasting money... if the local dealer would just do their fu King job...
I don't think ANYONE is talking about stocking anything but the stuff most of us need/go thru/service items that most racers/riders need. That's all.

Like a "complete gasket kit"...anyone familiar with the UNAVAILABILITY of such kits for the current KTM/HSQ/GG 450? Well, some of us keep -2- of them around at all times.
Why?
Because, it's SO NICE when one of your friends or fellow competitors owes you beers...forever...because you've got the only set of gaskets around and he needs them for a rebuild!
Grinning

Btw, is it just me or are KTM gaskets pretty damn pricey?
Brent
9/20/2021 4:03pm
In my opinion, it's all about the availability of credit.

If a vendor gives out a decent line of credit with a low interest rate and easy returns, then if Im a local owner I'm stocking a shit load of parts on their dime.

However, if your credit line is limited from your bank or distributor, then you only keep the basics until you can expand your credit line.

This is the basis of all small business in America, motorcycle or not. Next to your health, how much credit you can get is your most valuable asset.
murph783
9/20/2021 4:25pm
gt80rider wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
I don't think ANYONE is talking about stocking anything but the stuff most of us need/go thru/service items that most racers/riders need. That's all. Like a...
I don't think ANYONE is talking about stocking anything but the stuff most of us need/go thru/service items that most racers/riders need. That's all.

Like a "complete gasket kit"...anyone familiar with the UNAVAILABILITY of such kits for the current KTM/HSQ/GG 450? Well, some of us keep -2- of them around at all times.
Why?
Because, it's SO NICE when one of your friends or fellow competitors owes you beers...forever...because you've got the only set of gaskets around and he needs them for a rebuild!
Grinning

Btw, is it just me or are KTM gaskets pretty damn pricey?
I’ve long been the parts supplier to a bunch of my buddies cause I always have common wear items on hand. You need an air filter or we can’t ride today? Well you’re in luck because I have 6 since I hate cleaning them, load up and I’ll bring it for ya Grinning
9/20/2021 8:21pm
gt80rider wrote:
You shouldn't be allowed to enter a dealership, please post a photo so we know who to charge double.
rmgsxr
9/22/2021 7:58am
GForce MMG wrote:
Just feel lucky if you have a local dealership that can even order MX bikes. None of the local hon/kaw/yam/Suz dealers are even franchised for the...
Just feel lucky if you have a local dealership that can even order MX bikes. None of the local hon/kaw/yam/Suz dealers are even franchised for the mx line from the mcf’s. They don’t stock any mx bikes, parts, tires, riding gear, etc.

Motocross is less than 5% of powersports sales when you factor in street bikes, atv’s, utv’s, SXS, sleds and watercraft. Really cant blame them for ignoring us since we are such a small factor. Just being realistic.
If any of those dealers have a motorcycle on the floor they can order MX bikes. All of those manufactures listed don't have a separate franchise for MX bikes.
Speeddemon73
9/22/2021 8:27am Edited Date/Time 9/22/2021 8:38am
I would much prefer to go to a dealership and pick up parts, but I admit that I mainly order my parts online now because I am tired of going to the dealership and being told, "Nope we don't have that in stock, but we can order it." This is usually for common parts like air filters, brake pads, carburetor jets, tires, grips, and now even oil. The last time I went in to get an oil filter and a bottle of Yamalube 10W-50 Synthetic for my YZ450, the dealer told me, "Yeah sorry we don't carry that oil." WTF WHY!? You have YZ450's on the showroom floor that all take this oil and the manual specs it. I don't blame this dealership to be honest, and if it wasn't for my friend who works the parts desk, I probably would not go there. The dealership changed locations and was bought out by the franchise that owns most of the automotive dealerships in the area. When the dealership was on my side of town in its original location their main business model was dirt bikes & ATVs, they even had a race team and supported amateurs at the motocross races. Parts were never a problem. Also, they sold race gas on-site too. Since they moved to the ritzy part of town into a new massive facility with a Starbucks, their main focus is side by sides, watercraft, and road bikes. On the other side of town you have Babbitt's who's main market is just about everything, but heavily leaning on dirt bikes. They are smaller, but they stock most everything and anything for the current generation of dirt bikes, atv's, and snowmobiles. They also sell VP racing fuel. I don't think I have ever gone in there and they told me they don't have it in terms of common wear items. If they were closer I would go there much more often, but I usually have to wait until the weekend to make it out there. They probably have the best pricing on new toys and will beat anyone in price if you can find a better deal. Plus, most of the employees ride moto or ride what they sell. A dealership should be able to support common wear items and lubricants for the models they sell on the floor case closed.
9/22/2021 8:35am
Only a Honda dealer near me, every time I've gone there for OEM they seem to have what I need, but I have more than just a Honda. If there is something aftermarket then it's a coin flip, so it's just easier to hit up RM. Example is I ordered filters, brakes, cables, plugs, gloves, etc for three different machines, it literally just got dropped off 5 minutes ago. Other than the wife asking who's the box for, I'll continue down this easy path.

Post a reply to: OE dealerships and what to stock?

The Latest