OE dealerships and what to stock?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/17/2021 10:07 AM

I’m beating a dead horse, but I can’t help it…

Is it unreasonable to think an OEM dealership should stock common wear items?

Let’s say a Honda dealership, stocking a 13t front sprocket for a CRF450X? Aftermarket or OE.

Is this asking too much from your local dealer?

And let me be clear - this isn’t just out of stock, this is just simply not stocked.

|

9/17/2021 10:14 AM

ebers wrote:

Is it unreasonable to think an OEM dealership should stock common wear items? ...more

I think it is what is in demand.

Out here, we have shops like AEO who stock every singe OEM part and race aftermarket hard part for Motocross and turn them over quickly.

But if you are a shop owner where there is less demand for Off road parts, and you decide to stock $3,000 worth of sprockets and they set on the hook unwanted, you wouldn't order them for stock again when they finally get sold.

These shops are running on credit and small margins, they don't want to tie up cash in dead inventory that makes them 15 percent if it ever sells.

|

9/17/2021 10:43 AM

ebers wrote:

Is it unreasonable to think an OEM dealership should stock common wear items? ...more

I worked at a dealership for many years. I'll try and give my insight. We used to stock all major wear and tear items for current machines and in some cases slightly older popular dirt bikes. I'm talking brakes, top end kits, cables, spokes, chains, sprockets, suspension seals, bearings etc you get the picture.

When online shopping become more mainstream we started to notice a decline in sales to the point of when some inventory was sold we never restocked it because it was just too money sitting there in product not being sold. We were competitive price wise with online retailers and in some cases cheaper, but the public had spoken 'we don't need you' Odd to say but it was the buying public who in a round about way had changed what dealers were stocking or not stocking anymore.

That being said (as mentioned above) some of the larger high volume dealers with high turnover of parts seem to do well still.

|

9/17/2021 10:50 AM

The 1,000,000 square foot dealership closest to me (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Can-Am, Polaris, Etc.) did not have a PW spark plug in stock the other day. Parts people told me that they could order me in and have it in one week. This is fucking ridiculous! Dealerships are nothing more then new sales places now.

|

9/17/2021 10:58 AM

kylemenz1 wrote:

The 1,000,000 square foot dealership closest to me (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Can-Am, Polaris, Etc.) did not have a PW spark ...more

I agree that's ridiculous they didn't have a sparkplug for a PW but you can't paint every dealer the same. There are many awesome dealers out there still owned and operated by riders like you and I.

|

9/17/2021 11:02 AM

I don’t even bother with them anymore, they’ve been digging their own grave for years and years.

10 or so years ago I got told that I need to wait a week to order a spark plug, it’s been mail orders ever since.

|

9/17/2021 11:04 AM

kylemenz1 wrote:

The 1,000,000 square foot dealership closest to me (Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Can-Am, Polaris, Etc.) did not have a PW spark ...more

Haha too funny. I’m glad I’m not the only one that finds that ridiculous.

|

9/17/2021 11:07 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2021 11:08 AM

I think they should let me order the whole bike in a crate off RMATV so I never have to deal with a dealer again.

|

9/17/2021 11:14 AM

Anytime a dealer has told me “i can order it and have it in a few days / a week” the thought is always… yeah, so can I, and i don’t have to drive my happy ass down to the dealership to get it either.

|

9/17/2021 11:20 AM

kylemenz1 wrote:

A spark plug for a PW can be had at Auto Zone or Oreillys for $3 but I get your point. A spark plug is a "grab a couple while I'm here" so it's silly they don't have one. Makes you wonder what else they don't stock.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

9/17/2021 11:49 AM

I have run into the same issues and it is a great way to lose business. Any dealer worth their stones, should be stocking consumables for their most sold models. That's how you build loyalty with your customers and I would also say that the OEM's should be helping them to do this. They know which parts are sold the most and so they should assure their dealers have stock of these items.

|

9/17/2021 11:50 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/17/2021 12:09 PM

Many times we’ve had this argument at the local.
We’ve went as far as to hold meetings detailing how the small low overhead items are what drives larger average sales tickets.
Let’s say you need a top end for a 125 and some chain lube, maybe a couple spark plugs and an inner tube.
Okay now the dealer doesn’t stock, say the spark plugs or air cleaner.
That customer isn’t buying the piston and gaskets, oils or coolant because if they’re ordering parts they may as well order all of them. Not a split order and get them days quicker.
Plus places like rmatv will give bonus points and usually discounts.
You’ve lost a potiental 500$ sale because of a 2$ spark plug.
Retail basics.

|

9/17/2021 11:55 AM

Think of the massive number of wear items, multiplied by the massive number of makes/models ever sold, multiplied by the dollar average of each of those parts. You are beginning to see the dealer's problem. It costs a gigantic amount of money to stock all the parts that might be needed by someone on some random day that may never come. Give the dealers a break; they do the best they can.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

9/17/2021 12:39 PM

jbonemalone wrote:

Many times we’ve had this argument at the local.
We’ve went as far as to hold meetings detailing how the small low overhead ...more

In todays world even a few days shipping, 2 trips to the dealership, and higher prices is enough to cost a sale.

A cool idea would be for the dealer to work out a commission deal with a place like RM where a customer can have the assistance of a good parts guy and have their order shipped to their house often within 2 days.

|

9/17/2021 12:40 PM

ebers wrote:

Gen 1 or Gen 2 CRF450X? They have different spline dimensions on the countershaft.

Gen 2: Only Renthal makes an aftermarket. Hard to get anywhere- Renthal is way behind.

Gen 1: I just went through this the other day. Wester Power Sports (7 or 8 warehouses across the U.S.) has zero 14T countershaft sprockets, of any brand. I bought the last one lol.

I'm not directly answering your question, but just some insight. It's really difficult getting parts.

|

Instagram: @motoxeno

Premium Off-Road Products: www.jcrspeedshop.com

9/17/2021 12:42 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

captmoto wrote:

A spark plug for a PW can be had at Auto Zone or Oreillys for $3 but I get your point. A spark plug is a "grab a couple while ...more

I get I could grab one at an “auto-parts store.” But a spark plug for a PW at a Yamaha dealership should be something that is stocked. The damn things haven’t changed since 1992! Haha.

I told the parts guy that I’m trying really hard to support my local shop but that they are making it really hard. I could order one from Amazon and have it delivered same day. I do t mind paying more from a shop to support our sport.

|

9/17/2021 12:50 PM

I lost my oil drain bolt on my 21 YZ250F. Called my local dealer to see if they got one. They told me no but they could have it next Monday. It was Saturday when I called. So I was going to have to wait over a week to ride again if I choose them. They barely have anything that I need there.

|

Gone:
2006 CRF230F
2008 KTM 200 XC
2017 KTM 250 SX
2019 CRF250R
Current: 2021 YZ250F

9/18/2021 6:42 AM

Falcon wrote:

Think of the massive number of wear items, multiplied by the massive number of makes/models ever sold, multiplied by the ...more

Great number of wear parts cross over from model to model, so not really. There is zero excuse for not stocking things like fork seals, oil filters, sprockets, etc.

How much does it cost to lose a sale because you don't stock it?

|

9/18/2021 6:51 AM

This topic comes up from time to time. The dealers need to find ways to keep the customer from always going online and customers need to be more loyal. If you’re the guy complaining about a destination fee on a bike and also wanting to buy your bike at $100 over cost….and then buy your oil online to save $1.50, that’s why they don’t stock moto parts. Ask them if they have ATV /UTV parts….I guarantee they do. It’s a very different customer.

|

Facebook.com/8tensolutions
Twitter and Instagram @8tensolutions

9/18/2021 6:57 AM

Everytime I read one of these threads I feel even more blessed to have JMC in my “backyard”cool

|

9/18/2021 8:26 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2021 8:51 AM

We rarely send anyone home wo the part they need. Its either on BO or something new we just overlooked but if that's the case its going in stock. Our across the counter business is robust to say the least and we ship out a lot of parts also. Gotta build it and work it buts its worth the effort. There is no excuse for not having spark plugs and sprockets for the brands you sell. Sold a 125 piston kit just an hour ago.

|

9/18/2021 9:03 AM

Falcon wrote:

Think of the massive number of wear items, multiplied by the massive number of makes/models ever sold, multiplied by the ...more

I was at a friend's shop some years ago. The crusty OLD grizzly Adams dude says, "Need points and condenser for a 1971 CB750." Buddy looks it up and says, "We can get them for you. Probably Wednesday next week." Old cat says, "You don't have 'em in stock?" "No sir." "You don't have parts for a Honda in stock?" Not points and condenser for a '71 model, no sir." ,,,,,,, Disgusted look on his face the old guy says, "This is a motorcycle shop ain't it?"
Some people, can't be happy.

|

9/18/2021 9:27 AM

This could be resolved simply by taking the “we can have it next week” and making it “we have it this afternoon.”

I understand it’s impossible for a dealer to stock every part for every bike/ATV/UTV/PWC. There needs to be a warehouse, or distribution hub, that stocks all the parts for multiple dealers within a certain area. The dealers need a “parts runner” in a van that runs from the dealership to the warehouse and back twice a day. Early am and noon. Customers who order parts before noon will have their parts available when the “parts runner” arrives back from his noon trip. Parts ordered after 12pm will be available first thing tomorrow morning.

I just don’t understand how someone can order a part online and have it in 2 days, but if a dealership orders it, it takes a week. That, IMO is what’s killing them more than pricing. 99% of people that go into a dealership to get parts, aren’t going because they have the best price. They’re going because they want their part now. Focus on that, because “getting parts quick” is and should be the dealerships strength against online retailers.

|

9/18/2021 9:35 AM

It’s simple supply and demand.

Lightspeed the MC industry inventory program keeps a record of every time someone searches for a part number. After x amount it pops on a potential stock list. If the manager thinks it is worth stocking they stock it.

Stocking Inventory requires a LOT of $$$$$$$ tied up till it is sold.

|

9/18/2021 9:44 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2021 9:44 AM

Yeah really miss the days of some old guy in the parts dept smoking in my face telling me it will be two weeks to get a piston for my 82 YZ80…thinking he is doing me a favor.

|

9/18/2021 9:51 AM

Spudnut wrote:

Everytime I read one of these threads I feel even more blessed to have JMC in my “backyard”cool

I hear ya…shop down the road from me called Moto One is legit. They always got what you need to keep riding in stock and their pricing is as good or better than online.

|

9/18/2021 11:10 AM

#1 oems shoot themselves in the foot by changing stuff like shaft splines as mentioned above every time you turn around. Hondas not the only one but probably the worst. #2 dealerships shot themselves in the foot by becoming these multi line megaplexes, it's ridiculous to expect a kid making 10 bucks an hr to be an expert on everything made by 7 different brands for the last 50 yrs. #3 consumers shot themselves in the foot by buying cheap Chinese crap online and expecting it right now. Dealers have minimum order requirements for everyone they buy from lest they be charged shipping and bye bye to the razor thin margin they make on aftermarket parts. In smaller markets it usually takes a day or two to make that minimum another day or two to get it one of those days being Saturday when nothing moves and there's your week.

|

9/18/2021 11:23 AM

What if instead of distributors paying to house items in a warehouse they used dealers space to hold the parts. Dealer doesn’t pay for the part until it sells and shops close to each other can share inventory. Would save everyone $.

|

9/18/2021 12:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/18/2021 1:01 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

Exactly. They are using the auto sales model IMO. And we all love that experience don't we?

It won't be long till I despise the moto dealers as much as i despise the auto dealers.

But the industry people will point the finger at me.

|

9/18/2021 3:24 PM

kylemenz1 wrote:

BigBoreFan58 wrote:

Exactly. They are using the auto sales model IMO. And we all love that experience don't we?

It won't be long till I despise ...more

Ride Now was owned Coulter Automotive goup but just recently sold it to Rumble on.
So yes your'e correct and it ruined the motorcycle shop experience in in many araes.
Not all shops are lousy, it's a tough business and some shops are outstanding, feel lucky if you have a good one in your area.

|