OCScottie 26 Years

Edited Date/Time 4/17/2012 9:39pm
I don't know OCScottie,
but I do appreciate what he does here.
I wanted to acknowledge a post on St Pats Day, where he "on the side" mentioned his 26 year anniversary of his injury.
Congrats on where you have come Scottie and keep on going!
|
newmann
3/18/2012 7:20am
And don't be getting pissy at your momma for bringing you a cake. Cake and Red Bull go good together. Only thing better than cake and Red Bull would be powdered sugar donuts and Red Bull. I bonked 37 miles from home on a bicycle ride at a convenience store once and that's the only thing that saved me.LOL
gspointer
3/18/2012 7:25am
yep, he seems to be a really good guy that has overcame a lot.
WhKnuckle
3/18/2012 7:28am Edited Date/Time 3/18/2012 7:28am
It might not be a anniversary that you like all that much, Scotty, but kudos for having the courage to keep on keepin' on.

The Shop

kongols
3/18/2012 7:28am
The Day That Changed My Life Forever 3/18/2010 10:43 AM

The morning began not unlike many other Sunday mornings, only this day my life would change forever. It was a beautiful spring day March 17, 1985. I stepped out into the morning air and took a deep breath; the cool morning air filled my lungs with exhilaration. I went about my morning routine as I had done many times in the past. With mechanical precision I prepared my motorcycle for the day of nonstop action. I was in my element and had been through this ritual numerous times and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

The quiet almost serene morning air was shattered by the sound of a two-stroke motor buzzing in the distance; the sound of the powerful motor broke the morning silence like the roar of a wild animal. As the sound grew nearer, adrenaline began to flow through my veins and left an almost acidic taste in my mouth. It was days like this that I lived for. Racing was my lifeblood and becoming one with my machinery was how I expressed my freedom and my creativity. Fastening the strap on my helmet, an electric buzz filled my body. Sitting on my bike, the harmonic tune of the motor pulsated through my veins; with each turn of the throttle my heartbeat raced.

The crisp morning air mixed with the sweet smell of exhaust filled my nostrils. This was a perfect day; the morning dew left a moist layer on the soil and the cool air was just what the engine on my machine craved. The first morning ride was epic. I felt as one with my motorcycle, working together like it was an extension of my body. My every move calculated as if it was planned, entering turns as if they were choreographed, exiting them with speed and precision. I felt as if nothing could go wrong; I was in complete control of my surroundings. Motocross was my escape from the pressures of everyday life. It was my outlet in which I could leave problems behind and become one with my bike without a care in the world. Little did I know that the sport that brought me so much joy would also be the one that would cause my life to change forever. Later, on this seemingly beautiful day, my life would never be the same.

A small crowd had gathered at the base of Competition Hill; this was known as one of the most difficult and treacherous spots in the entire fourteen hundred acre riding facility. The hill stood roughly two hundred and fifty feet tall, the base began with a gradual incline and as it progressed upwards the path got very steep and ended with a nearly vertical thirty-foot face. I sat atop the mountain and peered across the valley below; the blue sky was a contrast to the rolling green hills. Reaching down with my right hand I flicked out the kick-starter and fired up my machine; my senses heightened as the motor came to life. Taking a deep breath and exhaling, I clicked the transmission into gear and released the clutch. Approaching the face, I gave a strong twist of the throttle and launched off the mountain, airborne dropping down the thirty-foot vertical face I let the bike drift underneath me as to position myself towards the rear of the motorcycle. Suddenly, a giant burst of adrenaline shot through my entire body as my wheels came in contact with the terrain; the soft soil gave way and broke free underneath me and I began to lose traction. The only chance I had to save it was to grab a handful of throttle and hopefully regain traction I had lost; as the motor accelerated, the bike pitched and was now in a fully out of control two wheel slide. Applying firm pressure on both front a rear brakes in hopes to control the slide was my only hope. The wheels locked in the soft soil and my momentum momentarily slowed; I was now in real trouble. On the mountain where the vertical face ends you have a choice of a left or right path; where they meet is a five to ten foot high raised area that has been formed from years of erosion and bikes traveling up and down the mountain. I was headed right for this raised area and with the brakes locked I had no where near the momentum to make the right or left path; with one last desperate attempt to get out of this grave situation I released the brakes and grabbed a handful of throttle in hopes of making it to the right side path. Just as I approached the intersection of the two paths my rear wheel completely broke free and threw me in an out of control slide that slammed my bike into the raised wall of the intersection. My bike violently high-sided and threw me cart wheeling into to air. The biggest fear that went through my mind was my bike coming over the top and slamming into me as I tumbled down the mountain. Like a scene from a movie, I was uncontrollably somersaulting; all I could see was ground-sky, ground-sky, and ground-sky.

It seemed to last for hours, the force of each somersault was greater and greater. For a split second everything came to just about a halt, like someone had pressed the slow motion button on a VCR. My body was positioned upside down with head pointing downhill as my legs slowly came over the top of me like a swimmer diving into a pool in the pike position. Just as my shoulders made contact with the ground I let out a loud groan and my legs violently slammed into my body, the force of the fall literally broke my spine in half. The concussion of the impact slowed the remaining few tumbles and my body came to rest in a patch of large manzanita bushes. My entire world came to a halt as I lay there, slowly gathering my senses I took inventory of the situation. A loud almost electric buzz filled my ears; it came from deep inside my body like a giant coil spring had become un-sprung. The sound was nearly deafening as I shook my head to make it go away. Feeling no pain what so ever I tried to get to my feet yet was unable to move. Fear began to grip me; at this point I was more concerned with the condition of my motorcycle. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, as I exhaled I opened my eyes and re assessed my situation, something was terribly wrong. Lying there on the mountain, I realized the strange position my body had landed in, my back and shoulders were resting against the mountain and my legs were only a couple feet from my face. I began to panic as I came to realize the severity of the situation; I was broken in half. Staring at my boots, I noticed a piece of manzanita clinging to the tip of my toes. My first reaction was to knock my boots together and the branch would fall from my boots, I was unable to move my legs. From this moment on my life would never be the same.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
3/18/2012 8:57am
gspointer wrote:
Yep!
jeffro503
3/18/2012 9:21am
Scottie is a great dude for sure. I've been friends with him about 13 yrs and he has always been a good dude. Congrats on making your life fun and enjoyable....and passing it on over to others. Take care man.
Mutt
3/18/2012 9:29am
Congratulations just doesn't seem fitting. As I stated in the other thread, not sure I could face what you have overcome. Kudos to you for facing what life has dealt you.

Your intelligence, knowledge, humor, and videos have been a great attribute to the boards over the years.

Hopefully someday we can consume some Red Bull together.
TeamGreen
3/18/2012 9:30am
Wow.

That was a novella that reads very personally for those of us from the Nor-Cal moto-scene.

We're very lucky to count Scottie as one of us.
jndmx
3/18/2012 9:36am
Always keep the wheels rollin Scottie.

Donn
3/18/2012 10:26am
I raise my 16ounce can of Red Bull to you Scotty Smile My favorite poster on this site. Keep up the positive vibes and intuitive insight, this place wouldn't be the same without you Smile
Smitch
3/18/2012 10:26am
Scottie is a good dude. Glad you are here.
ClappedOut
3/18/2012 10:32am
I've known Scottie since 1998 (when we formed OCR for MCM2). Scottie is a rare breed. Glad I can call him a friend.
500guy
3/18/2012 10:44am
Brilliant mind, good sense of Humor and tenacious as any racer ever was.

Glad to know you Scottie.
bullpen58
3/18/2012 10:53am
kongols wrote:
The Day That Changed My Life Forever 3/18/2010 10:43 AM The morning began not unlike many other Sunday mornings, only this day my life would change...
The Day That Changed My Life Forever 3/18/2010 10:43 AM

The morning began not unlike many other Sunday mornings, only this day my life would change forever. It was a beautiful spring day March 17, 1985. I stepped out into the morning air and took a deep breath; the cool morning air filled my lungs with exhilaration. I went about my morning routine as I had done many times in the past. With mechanical precision I prepared my motorcycle for the day of nonstop action. I was in my element and had been through this ritual numerous times and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

The quiet almost serene morning air was shattered by the sound of a two-stroke motor buzzing in the distance; the sound of the powerful motor broke the morning silence like the roar of a wild animal. As the sound grew nearer, adrenaline began to flow through my veins and left an almost acidic taste in my mouth. It was days like this that I lived for. Racing was my lifeblood and becoming one with my machinery was how I expressed my freedom and my creativity. Fastening the strap on my helmet, an electric buzz filled my body. Sitting on my bike, the harmonic tune of the motor pulsated through my veins; with each turn of the throttle my heartbeat raced.

The crisp morning air mixed with the sweet smell of exhaust filled my nostrils. This was a perfect day; the morning dew left a moist layer on the soil and the cool air was just what the engine on my machine craved. The first morning ride was epic. I felt as one with my motorcycle, working together like it was an extension of my body. My every move calculated as if it was planned, entering turns as if they were choreographed, exiting them with speed and precision. I felt as if nothing could go wrong; I was in complete control of my surroundings. Motocross was my escape from the pressures of everyday life. It was my outlet in which I could leave problems behind and become one with my bike without a care in the world. Little did I know that the sport that brought me so much joy would also be the one that would cause my life to change forever. Later, on this seemingly beautiful day, my life would never be the same.

A small crowd had gathered at the base of Competition Hill; this was known as one of the most difficult and treacherous spots in the entire fourteen hundred acre riding facility. The hill stood roughly two hundred and fifty feet tall, the base began with a gradual incline and as it progressed upwards the path got very steep and ended with a nearly vertical thirty-foot face. I sat atop the mountain and peered across the valley below; the blue sky was a contrast to the rolling green hills. Reaching down with my right hand I flicked out the kick-starter and fired up my machine; my senses heightened as the motor came to life. Taking a deep breath and exhaling, I clicked the transmission into gear and released the clutch. Approaching the face, I gave a strong twist of the throttle and launched off the mountain, airborne dropping down the thirty-foot vertical face I let the bike drift underneath me as to position myself towards the rear of the motorcycle. Suddenly, a giant burst of adrenaline shot through my entire body as my wheels came in contact with the terrain; the soft soil gave way and broke free underneath me and I began to lose traction. The only chance I had to save it was to grab a handful of throttle and hopefully regain traction I had lost; as the motor accelerated, the bike pitched and was now in a fully out of control two wheel slide. Applying firm pressure on both front a rear brakes in hopes to control the slide was my only hope. The wheels locked in the soft soil and my momentum momentarily slowed; I was now in real trouble. On the mountain where the vertical face ends you have a choice of a left or right path; where they meet is a five to ten foot high raised area that has been formed from years of erosion and bikes traveling up and down the mountain. I was headed right for this raised area and with the brakes locked I had no where near the momentum to make the right or left path; with one last desperate attempt to get out of this grave situation I released the brakes and grabbed a handful of throttle in hopes of making it to the right side path. Just as I approached the intersection of the two paths my rear wheel completely broke free and threw me in an out of control slide that slammed my bike into the raised wall of the intersection. My bike violently high-sided and threw me cart wheeling into to air. The biggest fear that went through my mind was my bike coming over the top and slamming into me as I tumbled down the mountain. Like a scene from a movie, I was uncontrollably somersaulting; all I could see was ground-sky, ground-sky, and ground-sky.

It seemed to last for hours, the force of each somersault was greater and greater. For a split second everything came to just about a halt, like someone had pressed the slow motion button on a VCR. My body was positioned upside down with head pointing downhill as my legs slowly came over the top of me like a swimmer diving into a pool in the pike position. Just as my shoulders made contact with the ground I let out a loud groan and my legs violently slammed into my body, the force of the fall literally broke my spine in half. The concussion of the impact slowed the remaining few tumbles and my body came to rest in a patch of large manzanita bushes. My entire world came to a halt as I lay there, slowly gathering my senses I took inventory of the situation. A loud almost electric buzz filled my ears; it came from deep inside my body like a giant coil spring had become un-sprung. The sound was nearly deafening as I shook my head to make it go away. Feeling no pain what so ever I tried to get to my feet yet was unable to move. Fear began to grip me; at this point I was more concerned with the condition of my motorcycle. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, as I exhaled I opened my eyes and re assessed my situation, something was terribly wrong. Lying there on the mountain, I realized the strange position my body had landed in, my back and shoulders were resting against the mountain and my legs were only a couple feet from my face. I began to panic as I came to realize the severity of the situation; I was broken in half. Staring at my boots, I noticed a piece of manzanita clinging to the tip of my toes. My first reaction was to knock my boots together and the branch would fall from my boots, I was unable to move my legs. From this moment on my life would never be the same.
Gnarly story. Glad he survived. Love his posts.
ocscottie
3/18/2012 12:09pm
Thx doods! crazy to think about how long i have known some of you knuckleheads, have met some really good people over the years, and some true friends for life.

I got a little choked up sitting here last night, started thinking about our buddy Magoo, and two of my other good bros i was in the hospital with that are also no longer with us. Been through a lot over the years, shit back in the day i had to worry about everywhere i went if it was going to be accessible or not, and it is crazy to think of how things have changed as far as awareness and society in general. Been a long road, and years sure seem to fly by.

Anyway, thanks for all the kind words, means a lot!

btw: it was also Chris Ackermans anniversary.
jimmie
3/18/2012 12:55pm
Every time I read your story, I can not help getting all choked up.

Thanks bud, for your contributions you bring here on Vital.

And not only for your witty sense of humor, but for some quality insight you provide to us key board motocross pros.

God bless up bud.

I'll have a Red Bull in your honor this afternoon..............cheers!
jmc2
Fantasy
1679th
3/18/2012 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2012 1:20pm
Not an anniversary to celebrate, but one to remember...thanks for all you do Scottie.
Also, hope the cushion situation is all good too..
Old Mate
3/18/2012 1:15pm
Kudos to you Scottie, hope WE get another 26 years out of you.
Wolfman
3/18/2012 1:49pm
I have read that story before, but man that is some heavy shit. Thanks for all you do Scottie.
DC
3/18/2012 2:06pm
I concur, thanks OScottie, and way to keep moving forward.

DC
MX Sports
GHR
3/18/2012 2:13pm
Wow, i never knew all that. Thx for doing what you do OS
kongols
3/18/2012 2:55pm
Scottie`s the man. Keep on keeping on, buddy!!!
Dirt_Dawg
Fantasy
2758th
3/18/2012 5:08pm
OC is a legend in life and in vitard...im mean vital. Keep on rockin OC!
Cigaro
3/18/2012 5:29pm
OScottie is good people..

Hawwy
3/18/2012 5:37pm
gspointer wrote:
+ 1
3/18/2012 6:24pm
gspointer wrote:
Hawwy wrote:
+ 1
Yup.

Post a reply to: OCScottie 26 Years

The Latest