O-ring chain recommendations

Related:
Create New Tag

9/7/2018 7:29 PM

What is everyone running for o-ring chains? Stock chain is about gone and looking for recommendations on what brand etc. Up until this point I've only ran non o-ring chains. I get about 25 hours out of a chain and sprockets. I'm hoping to extend that out a little bit by using an o-ring chain. Weight is not really an issue an extra pound or two isn't going to affect my speed.

|

9/7/2018 7:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/7/2018 7:49 PM

The weight won't affect speed, but the increased friction will.

DID or Regina. You can't really go wrong with either.

|

9/7/2018 8:00 PM

you aren't going to notice increased friction when the chain is warmed up and actually riding the bike. Dynos have shown almost no difference. The weight is not much different either... I like the DID VT2 narrow ring chain.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

9/7/2018 8:05 PM

Use an X-ring chain instead of an o-ring. It has very little drag and will last a long time.

|

Take it to the limit, one more time!

9/7/2018 9:23 PM

X2 on the DID VT2 narrow

|

9/7/2018 9:31 PM

Just grabbed a primary drive gold x ring chain for my woods Bike. Had almost 5 star rating on RMC. The gold is bright. Two rides on it, no issues. I figured if a couple hundred people rated it 4/5 Stars, it’s going to work fine. 66$ or so

|

9/7/2018 9:45 PM

Solidkm wrote:

Just grabbed a primary drive gold x ring chain for my woods Bike. Had almost 5 star rating on RMC. The gold is bright. Two ...more

I did this too. Same thing with RM reviews, although I think it has over 500 reviews or something now and still 4.5 stars. Regardless, I have one on my YZ and it's been great thus far at 20 hours.

Also recommend the Pro Taper X Ring chains. Solid chains. The last one I had, had over 80 hours on it and was still good. Sprocket was ready for a change, and I always changes chains and sprockets at the same time. So the chain easily outlasted the sprocket.

|

9/7/2018 10:13 PM

Protaper Slim line o-ring.

|

9/8/2018 12:19 AM

X2 for the pro taper. On a budget, I'd recommend the Primary Drive. Solid chains that last a fair amount of time. Want to spend a lot of money, the Regina is your go to. Great chain, but you're going to pay for it. DID is great as well. I've ran them all and nothing has lasted longer than Pro Taper x-ring chains.

|

9/8/2018 2:08 AM

The o ring will last longer than your front sprocket but when you replace both your sprockets you will need to trash your chain.

|

9/8/2018 5:05 AM

As far as l'm concerned, l'd use nothing else but an RK in an x-ring.

|

Melbourne, Australia. Current rides: '11 RMZ450, '84 CR500, '06 DRZ400, '79 KX250 with 400 engine, '06 GSXR1000 full Yosh racebike.

9/8/2018 6:12 AM

As stated above...Primary Drive O-ring has been my choice for years. Light, very good strength and low cost.

Paw Paw

|

9/8/2018 6:28 AM

I don't really see the sense of an O-ring chain in Motocross. In Enduro it's a different story.
Sure it lasts longer but your sprockets won't last longer. And when you have to change your sprocket you should also change the chain

|

9/8/2018 8:53 AM

A sacked out chain will wear out sprockets earlier than a chain that still has service life. A high end stainless rear sprocket can outlast several chains.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

9/8/2018 9:04 AM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

As stated above...Primary Drive O-ring has been my choice for years. Light, very good strength and low cost.

Paw Paw

Got one ready to put on my Alta MXR.

|

9/8/2018 10:25 AM

swtwtwtw wrote:

Protaper Slim line o-ring.

I really like this chain. The benefits of O ring without the extra weight

|

9/8/2018 12:02 PM

Sunstar XTG chains...best on the market in my opinion..

|

Many thanks to everyone helping me out this GNCC season: SRT Offroad, Acerbis, FCR Suspension, O'Neal Racing, Evans Waterless Coolants, Rekluse, Twin Air, Braking Brakes, Carbsport

Profile image credit Ken Hill Photography