Now that SLC is the final round of Supercross.....

Minus_2
7/21/2019 1:32pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2019 11:03pm
What do you think they will do to make the track special since it is the last round of the series? Las Vegas has the monster alley loop that goes out of the stadium which made it different from other tracks. As a Utahn, I can't help but wonder if they will add any flair to the track, and if they do, what will it be? Rice Eccles Stadium is small compared to the other venues, and the tracks are usually pretty tight. We are gonna need to represent well, because 2018's track was a dustbowl and rough.
|
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
7/21/2019 2:03pm
The more important question is, what they hell are they going to do for an after party with it not being in Vegas? SLC is probably the least happening spots on the entire circuit when it comes to after parties. Do they even have bars in SLC? We once went snow boarding in Utah staying in SLC at night. It took us 90 minutes and 4 different stores to find some playing cards to play a little poker among the fellas in our rental for the weekend.
Racer111
7/21/2019 2:04pm
Minus_2 wrote:
What do you think they will do to make the track special since it is the last round of the series? Las Vegas has the monster...
What do you think they will do to make the track special since it is the last round of the series? Las Vegas has the monster alley loop that goes out of the stadium which made it different from other tracks. As a Utahn, I can't help but wonder if they will add any flair to the track, and if they do, what will it be? Rice Eccles Stadium is small compared to the other venues, and the tracks are usually pretty tight. We are gonna need to represent well, because 2018's track was a dustbowl and rough.
The only reason that Salt Lake City is getting the last round is due to the demolishing of Sam Boyd and the new stadium not being open yet. So no, SLC isn’t going to spend tons of money for a one year only finale. They MAY hand out umbrellas to everyone with a ticket. Tongue
MCP486
7/21/2019 2:06pm
The "O'Douls Quad" is gonna be sweet!
jevyguy
7/21/2019 2:32pm
I thought I heard on one of Matthes’s podcasts that SLC or whoever in Utah paid a whole bunch of money to have it last. If that’s the case I bet they actually try a little harder at making it more special because it needs help. This is coming from a Utahn too.

The Shop

Wildeye511
7/21/2019 2:48pm
They might have this for sale at the stadium
BobbyM
7/21/2019 2:53pm
Minus_2 wrote:
What do you think they will do to make the track special since it is the last round of the series? Las Vegas has the monster...
Well no coffee and no beer... Yeehaw. Undergarments for all the females and padded bras for everybody.
Hoks
7/21/2019 3:27pm
I don’t think alcohol and the after party is going to be a big issue. It’s part of the sport experience and final round. Monster and Red Bull and whoever else throws parties including the downtown bars will be fully prepared I’m sure. If they want SLC to continue to be considered they will make it work.

The World Cup in 2022 is in Qatar. A dry country (for the most part). I had the opportunity to tour their FIFA Headquarters there and that question was brought up, “beer is part of the experience, what’s your plan?”. They said they are fully aware and are going to accommodate the festivities. I imagine the tourism sector of SLC is likely gonna pull some strings to make it worth coming back, whether it does or not.
stevemartin
7/21/2019 4:36pm
There are cool bars in SLC... it won’t be an issue
BBowser977
7/21/2019 5:14pm
So lame Vegas isn’t the last round
7/21/2019 5:52pm
It appears knuckleheads who've never been there think it's alcohol-free. Wrong.
moto0852
7/21/2019 9:36pm
Minus_2 wrote:
Racer111 wrote:
The only reason that Salt Lake City is getting the last round is due to the demolishing of Sam Boyd and the new stadium not being...
The only reason that Salt Lake City is getting the last round is due to the demolishing of Sam Boyd and the new stadium not being open yet. So no, SLC isn’t going to spend tons of money for a one year only finale. They MAY hand out umbrellas to everyone with a ticket. Tongue
Actually, the Utah sports authority is throwing out huge huge bucks for this race.
FlaNard
7/21/2019 9:43pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2019 9:47pm
I think it's weird too (born and raised here in Utah) but if it's a one year deal we'll all live. Plenty of bars, liquor stores, and strip clubs to go around. It's obviously not ideal and isn't Vegas but Salt Lake isn't anything like some people seem to think. Our mayor is a lesbian for fucks sake. Salt Lake is more Seattle than polygamist stronghold.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1102nd
7/21/2019 9:46pm
Exactly, just metered pours and you have to order food. That can even be chips and salsa. Wasatch Brewery has some serious horsepower beers.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
7/21/2019 9:50pm
Minus_2 wrote:
Racer111 wrote:
The only reason that Salt Lake City is getting the last round is due to the demolishing of Sam Boyd and the new stadium not being...
vegas is the week before so this can't be the reason
7/21/2019 9:58pm Edited Date/Time 7/21/2019 10:43pm
TbonesPop wrote:
The more important question is, what they hell are they going to do for an after party with it not being in Vegas? SLC is probably...
The more important question is, what they hell are they going to do for an after party with it not being in Vegas? SLC is probably the least happening spots on the entire circuit when it comes to after parties. Do they even have bars in SLC? We once went snow boarding in Utah staying in SLC at night. It took us 90 minutes and 4 different stores to find some playing cards to play a little poker among the fellas in our rental for the weekend.
Sounds like someone has never REALLY been to SLC..... It's actually a pretty cool spot to get out and have some fun. The non-crazy population know how to have a good time. Love visiting.
tcallahan707
7/22/2019 12:48am
jevyguy wrote:
I thought I heard on one of Matthes’s podcasts that SLC or whoever in Utah paid a whole bunch of money to have it last. If...
I thought I heard on one of Matthes’s podcasts that SLC or whoever in Utah paid a whole bunch of money to have it last. If that’s the case I bet they actually try a little harder at making it more special because it needs help. This is coming from a Utahn too.
Utahn? Huh. Learned something new today.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4190th
7/22/2019 8:24am
Minus_2 wrote:
And when was the last time “monster alley” was exciting and different...never it’s always a flat track corner or maybe a tabletop thrown in it.

Going to a complete new venue now that’s exciting and different. Imo it should be just like the NFL Super Bowl, it’s at a different random location every year. This does multiple things; it offers more fans the ability to go see the race(if you live on east coast odds are you aren’t going, if it’s at MetLife, odds are a lot better!), you can possibly get more incentive offers for having your race held at X stadium. For example, salt lake offered $20m in advertising if they were chose this year. Win win for everyone here. I could keep listing reasons why it is a good idea for business.

Also, imo the last few years of tracks at Vegas were so boring just the same thing over and over.
7/22/2019 8:44am
Minus_2 wrote:
Racer111 wrote:
moto0852 wrote:
Actually, the Utah sports authority is throwing out huge huge bucks for this race.
Also, they are racing in Sam Boyd the week before, so I don't think its eventual demolition is a major factor this season.
newmason
7/22/2019 9:22am
Don’t drink to much either, .05 gets your a DUI now in Utah
BMc914
7/22/2019 9:41am Edited Date/Time 7/22/2019 9:42am
Minus_2 wrote:
vdrsnk04 wrote:
And when was the last time “monster alley” was exciting and different...never it’s always a flat track corner or maybe a tabletop thrown in it. Going...
And when was the last time “monster alley” was exciting and different...never it’s always a flat track corner or maybe a tabletop thrown in it.

Going to a complete new venue now that’s exciting and different. Imo it should be just like the NFL Super Bowl, it’s at a different random location every year. This does multiple things; it offers more fans the ability to go see the race(if you live on east coast odds are you aren’t going, if it’s at MetLife, odds are a lot better!), you can possibly get more incentive offers for having your race held at X stadium. For example, salt lake offered $20m in advertising if they were chose this year. Win win for everyone here. I could keep listing reasons why it is a good idea for business.

Also, imo the last few years of tracks at Vegas were so boring just the same thing over and over.
How much of that 20M is going back to the riders for SLC to use ther likeness to advertise for them to have this final round?

They should add to the purse money make it double pay out riders then would love to go there.

I could think of alot better things to do that money. First would be for SLC to cut them selfs from the schedule and save their money and let Vegas have the final round.
str8line
7/22/2019 10:18am
Lake Effect is a really cool bar/restaurant, one of the coolest I've been to anywhere. Live music and a killer decor plus the hottest chicks this side of Miami.

https://lakeeffectslc.com/
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4190th
7/22/2019 10:49am
Minus_2 wrote:
vdrsnk04 wrote:
And when was the last time “monster alley” was exciting and different...never it’s always a flat track corner or maybe a tabletop thrown in it. Going...

BMc914 wrote:
How much of that 20M is going back to the riders for SLC to use ther likeness to advertise for them to have this final round...
How much of that 20M is going back to the riders for SLC to use ther likeness to advertise for them to have this final round?

They should add to the purse money make it double pay out riders then would love to go there.

I could think of alot better things to do that money. First would be for SLC to cut them selfs from the schedule and save their money and let Vegas have the final round.
Because fans pay wages bud. So the more advertising brings in more fans which sells more tickets. If a rider wants more money I suggest they put in the work it takes to make the big money. I would surely not expect myself to be paid the same as Tomac...so why should Alex Ray or someone else in that 15-20 spot be paid more when they aren’t showing any more to have earned that.
endurox
7/22/2019 11:17am
The party crowd can charter and plane and be in Vegas by midnight following the SLC final.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
7/22/2019 11:32am
Minus_2 wrote:
Racer111 wrote:
moto0852 wrote:
Why? What do they gain from it? Is there really that much of a difference in terms of visitors for round 17 than round 16?
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
7/22/2019 11:34am
TbonesPop wrote:
The more important question is, what they hell are they going to do for an after party with it not being in Vegas? SLC is probably...
Sounds like someone has never REALLY been to SLC..... It's actually a pretty cool spot to get out and have some fun. The non-crazy population know...
Sounds like someone has never REALLY been to SLC..... It's actually a pretty cool spot to get out and have some fun. The non-crazy population know how to have a good time. Love visiting.
They don't even sell playing cards in Utah!!!!
71Fish
7/22/2019 5:56pm
I prefer people keep thinking that. It's getting way too damn crowded.
Muzzle
7/22/2019 6:15pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Sounds like someone has never REALLY been to SLC..... It's actually a pretty cool spot to get out and have some fun. The non-crazy population know...
RichieW13 wrote:
They don't even sell playing cards in Utah!!!!
Really? You're gonna need some better bait than that!
7/22/2019 6:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/22/2019 6:50pm
Racer111 wrote:
moto0852 wrote:
RichieW13 wrote:
Why? What do they gain from it? Is there really that much of a difference in terms of visitors for round 17 than round 16?
I don't think its about the visitors for the SX. It is more that they are trying to brand themselves as THE outdoor and action sports tourist destination of the country. They've heavily sponsored a lot of similar events like Red Bull Rampage, Nitro World Games, etc.

Tourism is one of the largest economic segments in Utah.
LungButter
7/22/2019 6:37pm
I am pumped the final round is in SLC and plan to get 10 tickets and take a whole group.

I'm also excited for the after party, EVERY bar will be packed with MX folk after the race rather than every one getting diluted in to the black hole of Vegas.

RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
7/22/2019 7:04pm
I don't think its about the visitors for the SX. It is more that they are trying to brand themselves as [u]THE[/u] outdoor and action sports...
I don't think its about the visitors for the SX. It is more that they are trying to brand themselves as THE outdoor and action sports tourist destination of the country. They've heavily sponsored a lot of similar events like Red Bull Rampage, Nitro World Games, etc.

Tourism is one of the largest economic segments in Utah.
That makes sense, but what makes the final round so much more valuable to Utah?

Attendance numbers for supercross seem tough to come by, but it doesn't even look like Sam Boyd is full most of the time, so it's not like the SX finale is an extremely valuable ticket to get.

Post a reply to: Now that SLC is the final round of Supercross.....

The Latest