Nothin' like Saturday Morning Track Sessions on the 17 CRF450!

ginger969
Anyone else rippin' their local track this weekend? Which bikes you all on?

|
H4L
8/20/2017 11:18am
Nice ! The track looks nicely groomed with some good traction & safe jumps. Looked at a couple of lightly used 17 models with mods, but decided to buy a 18 with some refinements. How does it handle ? Engine power delivery ?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
8/20/2017 11:21am
H4L wrote:
Nice ! The track looks nicely groomed with some good traction & safe jumps. Looked at a couple of lightly used 17 models with mods, but...
Nice ! The track looks nicely groomed with some good traction & safe jumps. Looked at a couple of lightly used 17 models with mods, but decided to buy a 18 with some refinements. How does it handle ? Engine power delivery ?
Shelby was one of the riders in our 2017 450 Shootout and is in our 2018 Shootout that's about to start. His thoughts from the 2017 edition can be found here: http://www.vitalmx.com/features/2017-Vital-MX-450-Shootout,5128
H4L
8/20/2017 11:36am
ML512 wrote:
Shelby was one of the riders in our 2017 450 Shootout and is in our 2018 Shootout that's about to start. His thoughts from the 2017...
Shelby was one of the riders in our 2017 450 Shootout and is in our 2018 Shootout that's about to start. His thoughts from the 2017 edition can be found here: http://www.vitalmx.com/features/2017-Vital-MX-450-Shootout,5128
Thanks for your response. I had read that article & was looking for some more insight / feedback. Looking forward to reading the 18 shoot out from vital. It's interesting to read the different perspectives from different riders & mx mags..

The Shop

jtiger12
8/21/2017 6:00am
I rode an 18 2 weeks ago, I've never rode a 17 so I can't compare. The local pro who let me ride it said he can't really tell a difference in the 17 and 18 except for the obvious electric start. He said you can't really feel the weight on the track.

Everything you have read about the 17/18 Chassis is true. It is quite balanced, has a great turn in and consistent tracking from mid corner out. You can steer this bike with the front or the rear, and it is so stable in a straight line i had to look down at the fender again to make sure it wasn't green. This bike does have the traits of the 07/08, but the seat is very flat and has an open compartment. You kind of sit into the 08 a luttle where the 18 you sit on top. This makes it even easier to ride the seat edge on flat hardpack turns and control the bike qith you body. Very thin in the midsection, and the shrouds didn't grab my boots at all. I didn't see a need to trim the plastic radiator fins back. Mxa is right, those rad fins need to be swapped out for something a little more robust if you are racing. One thing that really stood out, is how flickable this bike feels. Just a slight lean into a jump face and it wants to whip away from you. Lots of fun in the air, but I didn't get to push it alot as it was sprung for a 135 pound pro racer, waaaaayyyy too soft for me. The motor, agressive map. Solid. Crisp off the bottom, smooth transition into a top end pull that feels like the 07/08. Again, I had to look at the color of the fender to make sure this was a crf. It doesn't pull as long as my 07, but I haven't ridden a stock fi bike yet that has as much top end as my carbed bike.

I've been pricing them (leftover 17s) and there would be one in my stable right now if we were not planning on buying another house in the next 6 months. I will be looking for a slightly used 17 with some mods in the spring. I'd rather have the bike without e start. I'm not racing and don't want even more weight and electronic stuff.
c0ncEpT
8/21/2017 8:04am
Great video. Track looks super fun.
H4L
8/21/2017 8:13am
jtiger12 wrote:
I rode an 18 2 weeks ago, I've never rode a 17 so I can't compare. The local pro who let me ride it said he...
I rode an 18 2 weeks ago, I've never rode a 17 so I can't compare. The local pro who let me ride it said he can't really tell a difference in the 17 and 18 except for the obvious electric start. He said you can't really feel the weight on the track.

Everything you have read about the 17/18 Chassis is true. It is quite balanced, has a great turn in and consistent tracking from mid corner out. You can steer this bike with the front or the rear, and it is so stable in a straight line i had to look down at the fender again to make sure it wasn't green. This bike does have the traits of the 07/08, but the seat is very flat and has an open compartment. You kind of sit into the 08 a luttle where the 18 you sit on top. This makes it even easier to ride the seat edge on flat hardpack turns and control the bike qith you body. Very thin in the midsection, and the shrouds didn't grab my boots at all. I didn't see a need to trim the plastic radiator fins back. Mxa is right, those rad fins need to be swapped out for something a little more robust if you are racing. One thing that really stood out, is how flickable this bike feels. Just a slight lean into a jump face and it wants to whip away from you. Lots of fun in the air, but I didn't get to push it alot as it was sprung for a 135 pound pro racer, waaaaayyyy too soft for me. The motor, agressive map. Solid. Crisp off the bottom, smooth transition into a top end pull that feels like the 07/08. Again, I had to look at the color of the fender to make sure this was a crf. It doesn't pull as long as my 07, but I haven't ridden a stock fi bike yet that has as much top end as my carbed bike.

I've been pricing them (leftover 17s) and there would be one in my stable right now if we were not planning on buying another house in the next 6 months. I will be looking for a slightly used 17 with some mods in the spring. I'd rather have the bike without e start. I'm not racing and don't want even more weight and electronic stuff.
Interesting feedback & thanks for posting. I've owned an 05, 06 & 08 CRF450r carbed bikes & feel the efi 09 + models have just as much juice up top with an aftermarket exhaust / remap. The 17 model based on the initial ride reports plus dyno chart shows more power than the carbed bikes.
The weight is a selling point for me as I felt the carbed models owned were noticeably heavier & didn't turn well in comparison to the 09-10 efi models owned. The engine can always be tuned so I'm not concerned about that.
ginger969
8/21/2017 9:56pm
My 17 has been awesome so far! I'm stoked to see how the 18 has improved if at all considering some of the other manufacturers major overhauls!

Post a reply to: Nothin' like Saturday Morning Track Sessions on the 17 CRF450!

The Latest