Not feeling KYB SSS hype

Related:
Create New Tag

9/13/2017 4:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 5:10 AM

I picked up a 2010 yz250 about a year ago. It was still on the original tyres and in really good condition. Since then I have been trying to get my suspension set up to where it lives up to the hype that I seem to read everywhere. It doesn't seem plush initially but blows through the stroke and bigger hits. I had the forks and shock serviced a couple months ago to see if that made a difference but nothing.

I'm 187 in street clothes, 33 yo, used to be fast, had a long break, now a mid pack c rider. Before I go spend around $800 on a revalve is it worth going heavier on the springs? I have ridden a stock yz450f and the suspension seemed much better.

Any ideas?

|

9/13/2017 4:40 AM

"I'm 187 in street clothes, mid pack c rider"

i found your problem.

joking.
sounds like bike is under sprung for your weight

|

9/13/2017 4:42 AM

Know when it was serviced last time, clicker is in default setting including HSC? Can play a huge role. Sag around 100mm?

You are a bit heavy for the stock springs, if you now have the stock springs. 2 steps up should be good.

|

9/13/2017 4:53 AM

Agreed, have you checked your static and race sag? Have you tried adjusting your clickers?

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

9/13/2017 5:01 AM

I would recommend taking your suspension to a reputable local shop. They will usually work with you. The one in my area will even meet me at the track to watch me ride the bike and make sure everything is working well. Prior to going this route I would usually just re-spring my bikes. What i ended up finding out was that sometimes the "recommended" spring rate was not correct and I ended up re-buying springs. Would have been cheaper to just take it to the suspension shop and have them do it and be guaranteed that it'll work when they're done with it.

|

9/13/2017 5:08 AM

Yep, sag set at 100mm, static sag 30mm which is in the window for rear spring.
Rebound set at 4 clicks out both ends. Started at stock and then went both in and out until I found the best setting.
Lo speed Compression is 12 clicks out on the forks, 8 clicks out on the shock
Hi speed compression is 1 3/4 turns out.

Thanks guys, confirming my thoughts on spring rates

|

9/13/2017 5:16 AM

At least get springs for your weight. I had an 07 YZ250 with Race Tech everything and it was the best thing I have ever ridden suspension wise. My buddy also use to have a bone stock 06 yz250f and had it dialed so nice you would swear it was aftermarket. Keep working with it.

|

Vital news is 100% true 30% of the time.

9/13/2017 5:35 AM

I weigh 172 in boxers and went stiffer on my YZ250. So I'd say you are definitely too heavy for the bike. As a stop gap you can run a little more oil in the forks. I ran another 10cc until I had the money for a revalve and respring. After getting the finished product back it made a night and day difference.

My suspension guy recommends 98mm sag on these.

|

9/13/2017 5:52 AM

I'd go with heavier springs. Sounds like it rides too far in the stroke with your weight. My ktm had the same feeling

|

9/13/2017 6:03 AM

Revalve

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

9/13/2017 6:25 AM

4 clicks out total on rebound damping? Sounds like a lot as stock is usually around the middle at 15 or so in my experience. Your forks may be packing. Just a shot in the dark but maybe start with the rebound back close to stock and work with the compression to see if you can get it working a bit better before adding so much rebound damping. Not a pro or a suspension tuner but this has worked for me in the past.

|

9/13/2017 6:27 AM

I never got along with my Yamaha suspension until I revalve/springs. I have had 15+ Yamaha 250/450 since 2004.

|

9/13/2017 6:29 AM

you need stiffer springs big time

|

9/13/2017 6:34 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 6:42 AM

I'm almost a clone of your profile.

They get really mushy when they need to be serviced. Since you already did that try springs. Next try revalve. I got a relvave and springs at the same time and that fixed handling and blowthrough complaints I had.

Talk to a suspension tuner. Bones wrote an interesting article called Stiffer is softer about how guys are wrongfully going softer on compression damping when searching for plushness. What is actually happening is there isn't enough compression damping because the bike is riding in the lower and stiffer part of the stroke and the rider is feeling all the chop.

|

9/13/2017 7:11 AM

7 year old suspension, incorrect spring rates... That'll do it. You are closing in on 200 lbs fully dressed. Get it serviced with the correct spring rates and then spend some time on it.

|

9/13/2017 8:26 AM

I had an 06 YZ250 that I bought new and after a few rides, I discovered excessive play at the axle. You could grab the fork lugs and move them front/back. You could even feel this when you rode the bike!!!
Classic case of steering stem trouble, right? Nope, steering stem checked out fine. Turned out the inner tubes were rocking back and forth in the outer tubes, as if my slider bushings were way too thin. I bought brand new hardware and had the forks serviced. It didn't help. The forks must have been out of tolerance (or been badly designed).
Haven't trusted KYB ever since.

|

9/13/2017 8:55 AM

mx_563 wrote:

I had an 06 YZ250 that I bought new and after a few rides, I discovered excessive play at the axle. You could grab the fork lugs and move them front/back. You could even feel this when you rode the bike!!!
Classic case of steering stem trouble, right? Nope, steering stem checked out fine. Turned out the inner tubes were rocking back and forth in the outer tubes, as if my slider bushings were way too thin. I bought brand new hardware and had the forks serviced. It didn't help. The forks must have been out of tolerance (or been badly designed).
Haven't trusted KYB ever since.

Mine do that on my 2016. Out of 4 yz 250s my 16 has had the most gremlins

|

9/13/2017 1:52 PM

Any idea what spring rates to go? I have checked the race tech calculator, mx tech charts, q springs charts and teknik's calculator and they all give different numbers.
Of all of them mx tech and q springs are the closest so i might start there

|

9/13/2017 3:59 PM

phatfi20----
Talk to a suspension tuner. Bones wrote an interesting article called Stiffer is softer about how guys are wrongfully going softer on compression damping when searching for plushness. What is actually happening is there isn't enough compression damping because the bike is riding in the lower and stiffer part of the stroke and the rider is feeling all the chop.

guilty. I kept clicking lol. buddy was watching me ride and told me it looked super soft.

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

9/13/2017 4:06 PM

I thought the sss came out on yz's in 2015. Either way, check out race tech's website out and order the right sized springs.

|

9/13/2017 4:15 PM

I've just bought yz250 and after a revalve and sprung for my weight the suspension is as good if not better than the ohlins I had on my crf before this.
I'd say you definitely want heavier springs and I'd also try coming out some clicks on the rebound. 4 clicks out must be super slow, surely it's packing?

|

9/13/2017 4:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/13/2017 4:18 PM

geusswho wrote:

I thought the sss came out on yz's in 2015. Either way, check out race tech's website out and order the right sized springs.

SSS came out on YZs in 2006. 2015 brought some updates to the fork.

|

9/13/2017 5:06 PM

chump6784 wrote:

Any idea what spring rates to go? I have checked the race tech calculator, mx tech charts, q springs charts and teknik's calculator and they all give different numbers.
Of all of them mx tech and q springs are the closest so i might start there

Best thing for you to do is take it off and ship it to a good suspension shop and have them do it. Revalve, springs, etc you won't be disappointed.

|

9/13/2017 7:44 PM

When i first for the bike i rode it with stock settings, where i am now is where it feels best.
The rebound on the yz is fairly fast stock, 4 out keeps it settled through chop and braking bumps where it used to deflect.
Going to ring some shops and se what they think

|