Not buying it...

One-Hander
4/16/2018 11:52pm
If Brock is taking that crappy Aldon brand it probably originates from China. Where they use the same vats to mix god knows what and don't clean it out after. It's highly possible there was tainted stuff mixed in the same vat before. This is known to happen.
ando
4/16/2018 11:57pm
ledger wrote:
I can't help but think about the Post that Jeff A made back some time ago. I don't recall him throwing out name's, but he firmly...
I can't help but think about the Post that Jeff A made back some time ago. I don't recall him throwing out name's, but he firmly stood his ground on the fact of PED use in the sport. I know it's a long shot, but my fingers are crossed for BT to beat the system. I personally think this is a mistake, and as the title of the post reads.... Not buying it....
History suggests that him beating the system are slim at best.

Here's the problem - as an administrator or testing agency, when a positive test pops up, how do you determine between an intentional and unintentional usage scenario? It relies on a lot of anecdotal and circumstantial evidence to prove that it wasn't intentional, made worse by the fact that athletes know testing will occur, and the information about what is allowed or not is readily available.

I've lived with random and causal drug testing in my work career for over 20 years. Some genuine medications will appear as positives on drug tests, so everyone is encouraged to let their supervisor know that they are taking any form of medication. If you do that and test positive, you are in a good situation, but heaven help you if you only reveal afterwards that you were on something. Nowadays, even advising of medications prior to the actual test but after you've been notified that testing will take place is not good enough.
roninho
4/17/2018 1:23am
Braaaphole wrote:
WADA is a freaking joke. They are testing for substances that aren't going to make a measurable difference in performance on a rider. What they failed...
WADA is a freaking joke. They are testing for substances that aren't going to make a measurable difference in performance on a rider. What they failed him for is a substance that's readily available and is in most of the pre workouts I've seen. It would really have no difference than if he'd loaded up on caffeine before the race.
I don't think WADA is a joke.

First of all you have to realise that doping control like Wada is set up to focus on doping filled sports like cycling. And we are not talking about they take some pills, no those sports have a history of team wide blood doping programs, blood transfusions in the teambus next to the road on a mountain, cyclist doing their own transfusions, to even cyclist getting serious animal products used as doping.

The big issue for WADA is that doping control systems tend to not be capable to catch the latest doping products.
If you look at cycling Armstrong never got caught by a test, nor did Ullrich, Rasmussen or Basso. Armstrong and Rasmussen got caught by "pressure" (others confessing, no explanation for being in europe instead of mexico), and Ullrich and Basso didn't test positive but their blood bags were found by a police raid. Every couple of years a new testing technology becomes available and topriders do get popped (Hamilton & Vinokourov for blood doping, Kohl for Cera, etc.). Both Kohl and Hamilton later admitted to have been doping for years and only got caught when the testing methods unexpectedly improved.

But typically the doping products that work really well are not detectable, which is why you see doping authorities 'score' with positive tests on items and 'volumes' which don't seem to make a substantial performance impact. Think of Landis and testosterone ratio, Contador and Clenbuterol, and Froome with Salbutamol (astma inhaler). In many cases these strange ratios and scores are actually considered a side-effect of extreme doping. In Contador's case it was said that the clenbuterol was in the blood bag that he used for blood doping. I also think taht doping authorities in cycling work with the mindset they all dope so it is better to catch them on a 'technicality' then not catch them at all. That is why you see WADA test for Tickle for something that doesn't seem to improve performance at all.

Basically when using WADA protocals you are taking an approach as if motocross is similar in doping culture as cycling is, and try to 'catch' riders even for items that dont seem to improve performance.
That is something that imo is not a good 'fit' for motocross, and imo the powers of MX should look into a doping control system that better fits MX. However, that doesnt mean WADA is a joke, imo they just do what they are hired for. You want something else as SX, order something different. In the meantime everybody just needs to follow WADA rules.
ehr400
4/17/2018 3:17am
OK, lets assume he is guilty, lets move on to a suitable punishment. 4 years for the first time is insane. NFL players that have commited murder still played the game. This is where there needs to be a AMA/ FIM sitdown with WADA or whomever and be like look, we respect your testing, however we want our own forms of punishment. Example, first offense, 6 races. 2nd offense, season, third offense, banned. That way it is a firm fair punishment that is clearly outlined with no room for interpretation.

Also per Matthes and how shitty WADA responds to these athletes is unprofessional and par for the course with these authoritarian figures. He mentioned Clason and how a while back tlaking about Clades situation and how Cade then got backlash from WADA for him telling Steve how bush league they are. To me once again this is not black and white. How did Stew get 16 months and Broc faces 4 years? Get these clowns out of the sport.

The Shop

tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
4/17/2018 4:57am
Braaaphole wrote:
WADA is a freaking joke. They are testing for substances that aren't going to make a measurable difference in performance on a rider. What they failed...
WADA is a freaking joke. They are testing for substances that aren't going to make a measurable difference in performance on a rider. What they failed him for is a substance that's readily available and is in most of the pre workouts I've seen. It would really have no difference than if he'd loaded up on caffeine before the race.
roninho wrote:
I don't think WADA is a joke. First of all you have to realise that doping control like Wada is set up to focus on doping...
I don't think WADA is a joke.

First of all you have to realise that doping control like Wada is set up to focus on doping filled sports like cycling. And we are not talking about they take some pills, no those sports have a history of team wide blood doping programs, blood transfusions in the teambus next to the road on a mountain, cyclist doing their own transfusions, to even cyclist getting serious animal products used as doping.

The big issue for WADA is that doping control systems tend to not be capable to catch the latest doping products.
If you look at cycling Armstrong never got caught by a test, nor did Ullrich, Rasmussen or Basso. Armstrong and Rasmussen got caught by "pressure" (others confessing, no explanation for being in europe instead of mexico), and Ullrich and Basso didn't test positive but their blood bags were found by a police raid. Every couple of years a new testing technology becomes available and topriders do get popped (Hamilton & Vinokourov for blood doping, Kohl for Cera, etc.). Both Kohl and Hamilton later admitted to have been doping for years and only got caught when the testing methods unexpectedly improved.

But typically the doping products that work really well are not detectable, which is why you see doping authorities 'score' with positive tests on items and 'volumes' which don't seem to make a substantial performance impact. Think of Landis and testosterone ratio, Contador and Clenbuterol, and Froome with Salbutamol (astma inhaler). In many cases these strange ratios and scores are actually considered a side-effect of extreme doping. In Contador's case it was said that the clenbuterol was in the blood bag that he used for blood doping. I also think taht doping authorities in cycling work with the mindset they all dope so it is better to catch them on a 'technicality' then not catch them at all. That is why you see WADA test for Tickle for something that doesn't seem to improve performance at all.

Basically when using WADA protocals you are taking an approach as if motocross is similar in doping culture as cycling is, and try to 'catch' riders even for items that dont seem to improve performance.
That is something that imo is not a good 'fit' for motocross, and imo the powers of MX should look into a doping control system that better fits MX. However, that doesnt mean WADA is a joke, imo they just do what they are hired for. You want something else as SX, order something different. In the meantime everybody just needs to follow WADA rules.
I thought Armstrong’s samples came back positive years later and that’s what finally proved he was cheating? I also remember his last year (maybe 2nd to last) he didn’t cheat and that gave them the baseline to prove his previous samples were PED positive.

steveada
4/17/2018 5:01am
Caffiene is the most widely used and widely studied performance enhancing drug there is. Unfortunately the supplement companies, trainers etc cannot make any money trying to sell something so simple. So what do they do? Add all this other garbage into their supplements touting their formulation is better than anybody else formulation, all the while keeping the main active ingredient - caffeine. The whole supplement industry is the current equivalent of snake oil. Then you have all these trainers like Baker and Ryno that become the snake oil salesmen saying only they know the magic combination of garbage they can sell you to make you better.
roninho
4/17/2018 5:28am
tcannon521 wrote:
I thought Armstrong’s samples came back positive years later and that’s what finally proved he was cheating? I also remember his last year (maybe 2nd to...
I thought Armstrong’s samples came back positive years later and that’s what finally proved he was cheating? I also remember his last year (maybe 2nd to last) he didn’t cheat and that gave them the baseline to prove his previous samples were PED positive.

No he admitted it after a bunch of teammates and teampersonel admitted it. He has never been officially busted by a test. There have been stories in French media where they re-tested old (90's) samples and while they did not have names to the blood samples they could match armstrong due to the numer of blood samples (the leader always has to do a test). Which is unofficial prove of him doping, but since it is not done via official protocol they cannot be counted as doping offenses. Those stories were actually allready published before his 1st retirement in the 00's.

And the last part you mention is not correct, he was not busted via the biopasport (baseline). Also kind of hard to believe he would finish 3rd in the TDF as a guy near his 40's without dope.
slipdog
4/17/2018 5:38am
steveada wrote:
Caffiene is the most widely used and widely studied performance enhancing drug there is. Unfortunately the supplement companies, trainers etc cannot make any money trying to...
Caffiene is the most widely used and widely studied performance enhancing drug there is. Unfortunately the supplement companies, trainers etc cannot make any money trying to sell something so simple. So what do they do? Add all this other garbage into their supplements touting their formulation is better than anybody else formulation, all the while keeping the main active ingredient - caffeine. The whole supplement industry is the current equivalent of snake oil. Then you have all these trainers like Baker and Ryno that become the snake oil salesmen saying only they know the magic combination of garbage they can sell you to make you better.
Hahaha, Everybody and their mom are buying $2-$3 cans of Monster, Red Bull, etc... for their daily energy fix and I'm over here drinking Hydroxycut weight loss drinks. Why? because it has none of the unpronounceable crap that energy drinks contain but has 140mg of caffeine and costs $0.64 each when you buy the 28 pack at Wally World.

I haven't lost 1 lb but it gets me jacked daily!
51xc
4/17/2018 5:50am
aldon googled info about the substance? I don't know about you guys but I'd at least consult a doctor before I set something on a athletes diet if I'm not sure about what the substance actually does and how long it stays in the body. just call in, you don't even need to leave your home for that.
dcg141
4/17/2018 5:55am
Performance enhancing is something I have a hard time getting worked up over. Outside of blood doping for endurance events I'm not sure how much it truly effects performance. Weightlifting is another obvious sport where steroids would make a difference. Also if everyone is doing them how much of an advantage are they?
Betuel
4/17/2018 6:01am
51xc wrote:
aldon googled info about the substance? I don't know about you guys but I'd at least consult a doctor before I set something on a athletes...
aldon googled info about the substance? I don't know about you guys but I'd at least consult a doctor before I set something on a athletes diet if I'm not sure about what the substance actually does and how long it stays in the body. just call in, you don't even need to leave your home for that.
Didn’t he google it after Broc got popped? That would mean he wasn’t giving them anything with this ingredient.
kongols
4/17/2018 6:07am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 6:10am
51xc wrote:
aldon googled info about the substance? I don't know about you guys but I'd at least consult a doctor before I set something on a athletes...
Betuel wrote:
Didn’t he google it after Broc got popped? That would mean he wasn’t giving them anything with this ingredient.
If he`s any kind of trainer, he knows what it is. Dumbest defense is to play a fool. Most accomplished trainer doesn`t know what that is- yeah right. Lying makes him look like a tool.
Motofinne
4/17/2018 6:12am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2018 6:21am
51xc wrote:
Betuel wrote:
kongols wrote:
If he`s any kind of trainer, he knows what it is. Dumbest defense is to play a fool. Most accomplished trainer doesn`t know what that is-...
If he`s any kind of trainer, he knows what it is. Dumbest defense is to play a fool. Most accomplished trainer doesn`t know what that is- yeah right. Lying makes him look like a tool.
The fact that Matthes and Weege bought that story made my jaw drop(Racer X Tickle podcast). The number 1 trainer in the sport with a background in cycling doesn't know of the substance? Hmm....
early
Fantasy
2231st
4/17/2018 6:13am
slipdog wrote:
Hahaha, Everybody and their mom are buying $2-$3 cans of Monster, Red Bull, etc... for their daily energy fix and I'm over here drinking Hydroxycut weight...
Hahaha, Everybody and their mom are buying $2-$3 cans of Monster, Red Bull, etc... for their daily energy fix and I'm over here drinking Hydroxycut weight loss drinks. Why? because it has none of the unpronounceable crap that energy drinks contain but has 140mg of caffeine and costs $0.64 each when you buy the 28 pack at Wally World.

Black coffee, brew my own, 200mg caffeine, $10 a month, no sugar, no calories
Asimo
4/17/2018 6:16am
roninho wrote:
No he admitted it after a bunch of teammates and teampersonel admitted it. He has never been officially busted by a test. There have been stories...
No he admitted it after a bunch of teammates and teampersonel admitted it. He has never been officially busted by a test. There have been stories in French media where they re-tested old (90's) samples and while they did not have names to the blood samples they could match armstrong due to the numer of blood samples (the leader always has to do a test). Which is unofficial prove of him doping, but since it is not done via official protocol they cannot be counted as doping offenses. Those stories were actually allready published before his 1st retirement in the 00's.

And the last part you mention is not correct, he was not busted via the biopasport (baseline). Also kind of hard to believe he would finish 3rd in the TDF as a guy near his 40's without dope.
But baseline is bullshit if your baseline is at top levels of say test, because you have a very competent drug protocol coach.
Thats why they want TUEs and TRT banned also in UFC/MMA. It's just an open door for cheating. TUEs are bullshit all in themselves.

in 4 weeks, A good trainer can have your blood pulled and make you look less manly than a 6 year old girl on a blood panel.

Asimo
4/17/2018 6:33am
ando wrote:
Yep, see my post above about the football club in Australia. An absolute shit storm, and at the end of the day the anti-doping agency basically...
Yep, see my post above about the football club in Australia. An absolute shit storm, and at the end of the day the anti-doping agency basically said - "you are all to blame".
That was pretty big news then. Yah, and they were right.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/17/2018 6:34am
51xc wrote:
Betuel wrote:
kongols wrote:
If he`s any kind of trainer, he knows what it is. Dumbest defense is to play a fool. Most accomplished trainer doesn`t know what that is-...
I thought the same thing when I heard the “google” part of the podcast. Google is filled with all sorts of info, unfortunately some right and some wrong. If you make a good living being a trainer then study before getting popped.

I’m not placing blame on WADA for this...it’s either the trainer or riders fault. WADA makes the rules pretty clear for all to learn before the season.
Bramlett321
4/17/2018 6:41am
philG wrote:
Good post. I am going with 3.
Everyone is looking for an edge, it doesn’t matter what level we race at!! It doesn’t make any individual a cheater. Aldon and his athletes have got to get their shit together when it comes to talking to the press, especially regarding supplementation. It just made them look a little stupid to contradict each other for such a well kept organization.
slipdog
4/17/2018 6:55am
slipdog wrote:
Hahaha, Everybody and their mom are buying $2-$3 cans of Monster, Red Bull, etc... for their daily energy fix and I'm over here drinking Hydroxycut weight...

early wrote:
Black coffee, brew my own, 200mg caffeine, $10 a month, no sugar, no calories
I always thought a cup of coffee was 80-100mg? Either way, I drink a cup in the morning but my stomach can't handle 2 and it just doesn't do it for me.
Robgvx
4/17/2018 11:46am
How on earth is it WADA’s fault? The promoters and teams asked for drug testing. WADA was the organisation they hired to do the job (or USADA(?) for outdoors, who sing from the same hymn sheet). They did the job they were employed to do.

Don’t bag on the testers for finding what they were asked to look for.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
4/17/2018 12:26pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
If they can test anytime then a rider shouldn’t have it in his system at anytime correct, not just on race night? Not sure where the...
If they can test anytime then a rider shouldn’t have it in his system at anytime correct, not just on race night?

Not sure where the opinion deal is coming from. It’s not my opinion he cheated, according to them he cheated so he got banned!
Apologies, Scott, the opinions things was a general reference to a wide range of responses and not directed to you.

The CODE is easily available and not that hard to comprehend, and should be the first place someone goes to understand this if they think its worth having an opinion on.

The Code categorizes some substances that are banned at all times and subject to surprise out of competition testing (hence selected riders having to give notice of their location at all times), and there is a separate category that is banned only during competition. I believe steroids are an example of the first group, and I am pretty sure Stew's ADD med was only an in-competition ban (if you want a clearer but not performance related, cannabis and alcohol are banned in competition).
jbrown15
4/17/2018 12:32pm
Tainted supplements could be the reason, meaning the supplement he was taking didn't have the banned substance listed in the product but it actually did have it. That's not as common as people think, these China based supplement manufactures make many banned and non banned products for companies in NA. If they don't clean the machine the batches are mixed in properly there can be residual stuff getting into what ever the next batch of supplement they are mixing up.

I know some UFC fighters have proven this in the past and had their suspensions reduced.
Motofinne
4/17/2018 2:16pm
Betuel wrote:
kongols wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
The fact that Matthes and Weege bought that story made my jaw drop(Racer X Tickle podcast). The number 1 trainer in the sport with a background...
The fact that Matthes and Weege bought that story made my jaw drop(Racer X Tickle podcast). The number 1 trainer in the sport with a background in cycling doesn't know of the substance? Hmm....
I really, really hope this is a joke and i suck at detecting jokes online. Because Matthes just lost any kind of credibility reporting and talking about this matter if he seriously thinks this is a possibility. That the tiny, tiny sport of MX/SX could pull off something like this?

kiwifan
4/17/2018 4:26pm
Motofinne wrote:
I really, really hope this is a joke and i suck at detecting jokes online. Because Matthes just lost any kind of credibility reporting and talking...
I really, really hope this is a joke and i suck at detecting jokes online. Because Matthes just lost any kind of credibility reporting and talking about this matter if he seriously thinks this is a possibility. That the tiny, tiny sport of MX/SX could pull off something like this?

I tend to agree, i admit to not knowing the MXGP testing procedures off the top of my head, but I am sure they do them...so to call them out is a bit rich, and you could argue points out shit stirring to defect to what is going on (if indeed there is something going on) here
Tryhard
4/17/2018 4:41pm
tprice07 wrote:
I need to preface this with, I don't believe Baker or his athletes are cheating...but someone is responsible for the failed test. Listening to the Steve...
I need to preface this with, I don't believe Baker or his athletes are cheating...but someone is responsible for the failed test.

Listening to the Steve Matthes podcast on Brock Tickle...

Aldon mentions he did a google search of the substance and found "it doesn't stay in your system long" and "it wouldn't have been detectable for that long.."

Why was this something he added to the conversation?

Weigant and Matthes both go onto say, "I didnt' find that". This recently highlighted proverb comes comes to mind... 'Only the guilty flee where no man pursues.'

Jason Anderson also told Weigant that he has not been tested at a race all year. He was only tested once while at a restaurant randomly as a part of his year long watch (Skip to 3:20). That would have been outside of the half-life window of the substance (8.5 hours).

Anderson also mentioned "yea he takes this supplement stuff he gets at GNC but we are all looking for something" which does not align with what Aldon made it sound like. Again, not stating they are cheating, but they are looking for an edge.

I'm not one of those conspiracy nuts that thinks Aldon is pumping his athletes full of HGH or doping, but I do believe he maximizes their potential within the confines of the rule book. My main point here again is that someone is responsible for this failed test.

Speculating a bit, Brock doesn't appear to be someone who would go and do something that he wasn't instructed to do. Especially when he is under guidance from the most successful trainers in SX/MX history.

I really hope Brock retains his own attorneys (I assume he has already) and doesn't rely on the KTM legal team to fight for him. They are looking out for the best interest of the team and their trainer. Don't Baker has an exclusive contract with KTM for his training services (link here). I'm not sure if the RedBull KTM riders are required to work with Aldon Baker or not, but that may come into play.

Brock is on the hook for an entire year's salary for an incident like this. (Skip to 11:40).

Here are our options for what happened and what will result..

1. Brock knowingly or unknowingly took a supplement on his own that contained this substance.
Result: Brock is on the hook for 1 year's salary, meanwhile he will likely be unable to compete for 18 months. Meaning he will not have a salary. Dismissal from the team. Very unlikely to get another contract in the future.

2. Brock was instructed to take a substance by Aldon that he (Aldon) either knowingly or unknowingly contained that substance.
Result: Brock will file a lawsuit against Aldon Baker and/or RedBull KTM to cover damages to his career.

3. Aldon and/or Brock knowingly ingested the supplement that contained the banned substance knowing exactly its half-life but...took it a bit too late and it remained in his system too long. Or for whatever reason it remained in his system for longer than they anticipated.
Result: Major whoopsy...

4. WADA screwed up and there was in fact no substance in his body and the B test will reveal a false positive.
Result: In which case Brock will be forced to put his head down and forever be called a cheater by idiot fans.

I apologize for the book, I just don't see this going well in any scenario. Most likely scenario is we will never know what really happened...Brock will not be forced to pay out a years salary. He will not be dismissed from the team, but will not be re-signed by KTM. He will still be suspended for 18 months...from Feb 10th, 2018. Meaning if he can get something to ride he won't be back until 2020.

Now just imagine if Anderson and Marvin both were popped for this....
It would not suprise me one bit if he was encouraging it , you need to remember , Aldon is from a doping sport . All of the major cycling teams in his time were doping serious stuff to stay competitive . Watch Armstrong's documentary , thats why they did not pull his tour de france wins . Seriously everyone was getting blood transfusions on the road to hide the doping . It was very crazy , all the teams were doing it as well proven fact .
BobKerr
4/17/2018 6:00pm
51xc wrote:
Betuel wrote:
kongols wrote:
Got to agree with this. It is very hard to believe that the top trainer in SX/MX didn't know what DMAA was.
BikerScars
4/17/2018 6:40pm
Braaaphole wrote:
I guess I didn’t state it. Whatever he took, he took for some form of competitive edge. He didn’t take it for the substance that caused...
I guess I didn’t state it. Whatever he took, he took for some form of competitive edge. He didn’t take it for the substance that caused him to fail the test though. While it is an active ingredient in preworkout, it’s by far not the ingredient that gives you the most benefit. There’s far stronger chemicals in there and you’d never know if this was left out. Ironically, I’m in the parking lot at my gym right now and checked my preworkout. It does contain the same thing he failed for as I suspected it would.

I’m going to take it before my race next weekend and see if I do better on it or get my ass kicked. I don’t expect any competitive advantage from a preworkout. If I wanted that, I’d straight up take steroids.

Everything I’m basing my stance on is from personal experience. I know what real PEDs do to your body and how it feels. Preworkout and caffeine are not performance enhancing.
Asimo wrote:
Last sentence in your post, tell that to the NCAA. Also to WADA who removed it and possibly going to reinstate it. Also numerous other sanctions...
Last sentence in your post, tell that to the NCAA. Also to WADA who removed it and possibly going to reinstate it.

Also numerous other sanctions who ban caffeine over a certain amount.
I think that is the point. The lists from any of these power hungry organizations is getting way too ridiculous!
And it is equally ridiculous that the AMA surrendered it power to any of them.

I would again say, the list is so long and ridiculous with substances found legally everywhere, you would need to have a legal/nutritional/chemical chaperone following you 24/7 to be able to pass theses tests 100% of the time. If they theoretically tested 100% of racers 100% of the time, the pro gates would be empty.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
4/17/2018 6:47pm
kongols wrote:
Motofinne wrote:
The fact that Matthes and Weege bought that story made my jaw drop(Racer X Tickle podcast). The number 1 trainer in the sport with a background...
Motofinne wrote:
I really, really hope this is a joke and i suck at detecting jokes online. Because Matthes just lost any kind of credibility reporting and talking...

Maybe they have better reading comprehension. I was working and listening to Pulp so I may have it wrong but I thought I heard Christian Craig say he is constantly reading labels etc to make sure he is not ingesting anything on the WADA list of banned substances
Asimo
4/17/2018 6:56pm
BikerScars wrote:
I think that is the point. The lists from any of these power hungry organizations is getting way too ridiculous! And it is equally ridiculous that...
I think that is the point. The lists from any of these power hungry organizations is getting way too ridiculous!
And it is equally ridiculous that the AMA surrendered it power to any of them.

I would again say, the list is so long and ridiculous with substances found legally everywhere, you would need to have a legal/nutritional/chemical chaperone following you 24/7 to be able to pass theses tests 100% of the time. If they theoretically tested 100% of racers 100% of the time, the pro gates would be empty.
Millions of meatheads around the world don't have any problems.
wfopete
4/17/2018 6:56pm
Don't if this has been talked but what is scary to me is that someone could slip a rider a "Mickey" of sorts and ruin his ride. To EZ to happen, someone hands you a drink or you go to a restaurant with friends...one strike and you are out.

Post a reply to: Not buying it...

The Latest