Northern Arizona MX Facility

bymcchancey
7/18/2019 12:45pm
OK, Where to start?
So I moved to Northern AZ from southern California. I will not go into the abundance of moto there. I am more concerned with the lack of motocross here.
I grew up racing MX in Phoenix in the 80's and early 90's so I have a lot of love for helping grow AZ moto today.
The point of my post is. If someone were to open a Northern Arizona Motocross Facility, where would be the best possible location? After some researching. I found Verde Valley MX Facility was the only place that was around for some time before it closed. It seems that area would be the best place to start. Any information, thoughts or ideas will be helpful.
Thank you....-R
|
asmith214x
Fantasy
3818th
7/18/2019 1:46pm
OK, Where to start? So I moved to Northern AZ from southern California. I will not go into the abundance of moto there. I am more...
OK, Where to start?
So I moved to Northern AZ from southern California. I will not go into the abundance of moto there. I am more concerned with the lack of motocross here.
I grew up racing MX in Phoenix in the 80's and early 90's so I have a lot of love for helping grow AZ moto today.
The point of my post is. If someone were to open a Northern Arizona Motocross Facility, where would be the best possible location? After some researching. I found Verde Valley MX Facility was the only place that was around for some time before it closed. It seems that area would be the best place to start. Any information, thoughts or ideas will be helpful.
Thank you....-R
Im in Yuma and ive pondered this endlessly. AZ actually has potential to grow in the MX world because the politics and insurance and shit are way more lenient. With that being said, only being 4 hours from inland empire, Prescott Valley has the perfect canvas of rolling hills and open land to be the biggest motocross training facility in the world. Have the pros driving back and forth from home (CA) to the training facility once a week or 2, with the same setup as GPF MTF, would be a huge win in their eyes. Close to home, same or better training with WAY better road/mountain cycling for training. good weather year round, and cheaper living costs then CA
hubbardmx50
7/18/2019 2:20pm
Seems like North/Central AZ, especially Prescott is growing with all the people leaving CA. It would be cool to see a new facility open up out there. I see there are like four or five tracks in the Phoenix area but do people even ride them in the summer? Seems like Motos in 117 degrees during the day or 100 at night wouldn't be ideal. I see and talk to a lot of people from AZ at the tracks out here in the summer months
bymcchancey
7/19/2019 6:05am
OK, Where to start? So I moved to Northern AZ from southern California. I will not go into the abundance of moto there. I am more...
OK, Where to start?
Thank you....-R
asmith214x wrote:
Im in Yuma and ive pondered this endlessly. AZ actually has potential to grow in the MX world because the politics and insurance and shit are...
Im in Yuma and ive pondered this endlessly. AZ actually has potential to grow in the MX world because the politics and insurance and shit are way more lenient. With that being said, only being 4 hours from inland empire, Prescott Valley has the perfect canvas of rolling hills and open land to be the biggest motocross training facility in the world. Have the pros driving back and forth from home (CA) to the training facility once a week or 2, with the same setup as GPF MTF, would be a huge win in their eyes. Close to home, same or better training with WAY better road/mountain cycling for training. good weather year round, and cheaper living costs then CA
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. It is crazy the amount it track in the IE. There are two more facilities being built as we speak... I raced a super cross in Yuma once or twice in 1990 I think... I remember the track being pretty “legit” ... Hopefully we can make something happen up here...
Thank you for your input....-R
bymcchancey
7/19/2019 6:24am
Seems like North/Central AZ, especially Prescott is growing with all the people leaving CA. It would be cool to see a new facility open up out...
Seems like North/Central AZ, especially Prescott is growing with all the people leaving CA. It would be cool to see a new facility open up out there. I see there are like four or five tracks in the Phoenix area but do people even ride them in the summer? Seems like Motos in 117 degrees during the day or 100 at night wouldn't be ideal. I see and talk to a lot of people from AZ at the tracks out here in the summer months
Yeah man, the heat is brutal!! There are a few tracks here. In the summer most are open 6am- 12. Canyon is open at night during the week. There is a track that opens during the winter. I’m really hoping we can pull something off up here. Thank you for your input.. -R

The Shop

asmith214x
Fantasy
3818th
7/19/2019 8:18am
All I’m gonna say is I own a small company in the industry right now....if it makes it huge in the next 5-10 years.....there WILL be a training facility in Arizona....
c91x
7/19/2019 11:42am
Racing in AZ in the 80s and 90's was different compared to now. It still cooled off at night back then before the population explosion and concrete. I'd say if i was building one it'd be in Prescott Valley and that't not because of my location. 1.5-2 hours from the valley depending on location. Rolling hills, cooler temps, and a good chance for year round riding.
hubbardmx50
7/19/2019 2:46pm
Seems like North/Central AZ, especially Prescott is growing with all the people leaving CA. It would be cool to see a new facility open up out...
Yeah man, the heat is brutal!! There are a few tracks here. In the summer most are open 6am- 12. Canyon is open at night during...
Yeah man, the heat is brutal!! There are a few tracks here. In the summer most are open 6am- 12. Canyon is open at night during the week. There is a track that opens during the winter. I’m really hoping we can pull something off up here. Thank you for your input.. -R
Yeah even if I end up staying in CA long term I would love to come out there and ride, camp and relax. I was just watching some old videos of Verde Valley Motorplex that was in cottonwood, that would be really good for the scene if it somehow reopened. You can also still see where it used to be on google maps. Hopefully something in that area gets going! Gotta keep this dying niche sport alive.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3824th
7/19/2019 3:09pm
Speedworld
Verde valley
Motogrande
Grinding stone
Firebird
ET & Eloy questionable
-all are AZ tracks that have disappeared since the 2008 recession. AZ definitely needs a boost in options to its MX scene.
DTHA70
7/19/2019 3:12pm
Unfortunately there is a mostly dying market for MX in our state it seems right now. Certain families/Racing organizations (i.e. The family that owns the land for Verde Valley Motorplex and currently owns Canyon MX as well) will not EVER allow for competition within the state and cannot/will not ever play along with other organizers/tracks to hold a good race series.

They have slowly strangled the life out of AZ Moto over the last 15 years. Verde was a cool track bacuase of the weather, location and elevation change on the track but they didnt change shit for about 10 years and they do the same shit with Canyon. Same layout since 2010 with very, VERY minor changes to obstacles here and there.

Canyon also has a complete monopoly on weekday practice in the phoenix area and still wont put the money necessary into the facility to advance riders and the sport in the state.

If you have the money and time available to literally make them and their influence go away or buy them out, I would say go for it. Lots have tried to bring positive influence to the AZ moto scene over the last 10 years, none have been successful.
bymcchancey
7/19/2019 5:07pm
asmith214x wrote:
All I’m gonna say is I own a small company in the industry right now....if it makes it huge in the next 5-10 years.....there WILL be...
All I’m gonna say is I own a small company in the industry right now....if it makes it huge in the next 5-10 years.....there WILL be a training facility in Arizona....
I wish you all the best...
bymcchancey
7/19/2019 5:21pm
DTHA70 wrote:
Unfortunately there is a mostly dying market for MX in our state it seems right now. Certain families/Racing organizations (i.e. The family that owns the land...
Unfortunately there is a mostly dying market for MX in our state it seems right now. Certain families/Racing organizations (i.e. The family that owns the land for Verde Valley Motorplex and currently owns Canyon MX as well) will not EVER allow for competition within the state and cannot/will not ever play along with other organizers/tracks to hold a good race series.

They have slowly strangled the life out of AZ Moto over the last 15 years. Verde was a cool track bacuase of the weather, location and elevation change on the track but they didnt change shit for about 10 years and they do the same shit with Canyon. Same layout since 2010 with very, VERY minor changes to obstacles here and there.

Canyon also has a complete monopoly on weekday practice in the phoenix area and still wont put the money necessary into the facility to advance riders and the sport in the state.

If you have the money and time available to literally make them and their influence go away or buy them out, I would say go for it. Lots have tried to bring positive influence to the AZ moto scene over the last 10 years, none have been successful.
Thank you for the input. Yeah, I was wondering why there wasn’t a multi track race series like we had “back in the day”. I have lived out of state for the last 18 years. Now I’m back for good. AZ is a sad place for moto right now. It’s going to take some time, I going to do my best to figure something out. Possibly start off doing a “moto club” like Castillo Ranch. I can tell you it does suck to hear about canyon/verde valley. From what I read it was they lost the lease to the land the track was on. I did not they shut it down to monopolize AZ moto.. it seem ACP has a good following. It’s just freaking far!!!
bymcchancey
7/19/2019 5:22pm
TogaSet wrote:
Speedworld Verde valley Motogrande Grinding stone Firebird ET & Eloy questionable -all are AZ tracks that have disappeared since the 2008 recession. AZ definitely needs a...
Speedworld
Verde valley
Motogrande
Grinding stone
Firebird
ET & Eloy questionable
-all are AZ tracks that have disappeared since the 2008 recession. AZ definitely needs a boost in options to its MX scene.
Oh man. Firebird!!! That was a long time ago for me!!!!
DTHA70
7/20/2019 1:02am
Thank you for the input. Yeah, I was wondering why there wasn’t a multi track race series like we had “back in the day”. I have...
Thank you for the input. Yeah, I was wondering why there wasn’t a multi track race series like we had “back in the day”. I have lived out of state for the last 18 years. Now I’m back for good. AZ is a sad place for moto right now. It’s going to take some time, I going to do my best to figure something out. Possibly start off doing a “moto club” like Castillo Ranch. I can tell you it does suck to hear about canyon/verde valley. From what I read it was they lost the lease to the land the track was on. I did not they shut it down to monopolize AZ moto.. it seem ACP has a good following. It’s just freaking far!!!
A club system could work and if you build something in a fair weather area in northern AZ, we will come from the valley for sure.

They didn't lose the lease, they're subletting because someone pays them more than the track ever brought in. Plenty of their own drilling equipment still sits on that land.

I admire your aspirations and hope it all pans out but besides ACP and motoland, I pretty much just ride desert now instead of being involved with the drama that became the race scene here post 2010.

As much as speedy sucked for prep, that place was convenient and it closing, and zack(former owner of canyon) selling firebird to the Lucas series really put some major nails in the coffin for our sport here.

I miss the 02-08 scene with 10 tracks all packed 5 days a week, everyone on new bikes every year, life was good.
motomojo
7/20/2019 1:14pm
I tried to provide a first class track in northern AZ but there was just no interest from riders in the area to support it.
Verde Valley was a cool track (layout and Temp) was sorry to see it go same with speedworld.

AZ tracks are not supportive of the sport. They all seem to be in competition with each other rather than joining together and giving the state a really nice couple of race series each year.
Then there is the track layouts which now seem all to be flat with some piles of dirt for elevation change woo hoo!!
pretty boring to say the least. I guess Canyon is the last natural terrain track left. It's like AZ is trying to be mediocre.

Glad i have an awesome place to go..
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
7/20/2019 3:12pm
Yeah man, the heat is brutal!! There are a few tracks here. In the summer most are open 6am- 12. Canyon is open at night during...
Its hot, but honestly we (son and I) ride more in the summer than we do in the winter - mainly because there's a lot more to do when the weather is nicer. We ride a ton in the summer and just deal with the heat (water, fans, shade, etc). We would love to make the trip up to VV, camp for the weekend and ride when the weather is cooler up north. VV is the perfect spot for a nice facility as mentioned. Location, natural terrain, weather, etc could make it very special. If it were to happen, we would most definitely spend our money riding there. Hope it happens.
#RZRNick
7/20/2019 9:27pm
I moved from SoCal 3 years ago, I was 30 minutes from Pala and 1 hour from Cahuilla in North County SD. Now I'm in Peoria, 10 minutes from Canyon.

I was told the scene was great here 2002-2008, but currently its a big bummer, especially with Canyon being $40, and the track leaves a lot to be desired, makes Barona MX seem stellar.

I too mainly ride desert, it's close and free, and seat time is seat time. I agree that Prescott isnt too far and the weather is great, I think you'd get a lot of guys from the valley.

MX is even slowing down a little in SoCal, the sport as a whole. I bet in AZ there are more 25 year olds that owns RZR's than ride dirt bikes, its too easy and amazing for the SxS riding in Arizona.

I wonder how much of that is the generation, or the MX track scene really dissolving and UTV's exploding in the last 5 years....

UTV's are hard to beat for families.

MY 2 CENTS- TRACKS NEED TO HAVE A LEGIT VET TRACK & KIDS TRACK! There is NO way you will take share from the UTV crowd if your track doesn't have options for the whole family to get bikes and ride. I got my wife into riding in 2010 because Pala has many tracks for a newby to learn on. As a track owner I know this is even harder and more expensive, but Canyon not even trying to make the "Vet" track decent is a complete joke.
Kzirk525
7/20/2019 9:48pm
DTHA70 wrote:
Unfortunately there is a mostly dying market for MX in our state it seems right now. Certain families/Racing organizations (i.e. The family that owns the land...

It's sad but true! I wish we had more options here. Its a shame the owners of Canyon have that attitude. It has the potential to be so much better. ACP is the only decent track in AZ right now.
hubbardmx50
7/20/2019 10:36pm
TbonesPop wrote:
Its hot, but honestly we (son and I) ride more in the summer than we do in the winter - mainly because there's a lot more...
Its hot, but honestly we (son and I) ride more in the summer than we do in the winter - mainly because there's a lot more to do when the weather is nicer. We ride a ton in the summer and just deal with the heat (water, fans, shade, etc). We would love to make the trip up to VV, camp for the weekend and ride when the weather is cooler up north. VV is the perfect spot for a nice facility as mentioned. Location, natural terrain, weather, etc could make it very special. If it were to happen, we would most definitely spend our money riding there. Hope it happens.
That’s good to hear it’s at least possible to ride in the summer. My dad was just out in Prescott checking it out and was bummed to hear that the closest track is two hours away. But it takes us two hours to get to Pala and sometimes two and a half hours to get home because of traffic. Same with Cahuilla.
TogaSet
Fantasy
3824th
7/20/2019 11:06pm
ACP is far but after that long drive you can be assured you will get a pristine track every time. It’s the best place in AZ right now. Not $40 bucks to get in either like canyon which may or may not have a decent groom job. Mostly not.
hubbardmx50
7/21/2019 10:28am
TogaSet wrote:
ACP is far but after that long drive you can be assured you will get a pristine track every time. It’s the best place in AZ...
ACP is far but after that long drive you can be assured you will get a pristine track every time. It’s the best place in AZ right now. Not $40 bucks to get in either like canyon which may or may not have a decent groom job. Mostly not.
That’s refreshing to hear. I need to make the drive out there and ride it already, seen videos and pictures of it for years. There’s plenty of people out here that will tell you Milestone is the worst track yet it is open, prepped, watered and is a place to ride every week
bymcchancey
7/21/2019 5:38pm
Thank you for the input. Yeah, I was wondering why there wasn’t a multi track race series like we had “back in the day”. I have...
DTHA70 wrote:
A club system could work and if you build something in a fair weather area in northern AZ, we will come from the valley for sure...
A club system could work and if you build something in a fair weather area in northern AZ, we will come from the valley for sure.

They didn't lose the lease, they're subletting because someone pays them more than the track ever brought in. Plenty of their own drilling equipment still sits on that land.

I admire your aspirations and hope it all pans out but besides ACP and motoland, I pretty much just ride desert now instead of being involved with the drama that became the race scene here post 2010.

As much as speedy sucked for prep, that place was convenient and it closing, and zack(former owner of canyon) selling firebird to the Lucas series really put some major nails in the coffin for our sport here.

I miss the 02-08 scene with 10 tracks all packed 5 days a week, everyone on new bikes every year, life was good.
Yeah man, I lived 2 miles from Perris. They do 80$ a month unlimited rides that also good for milestone and starwest when it opens again in August.. canyon’s vet track is a joke.. it’s sad, that track use to be so much fun....
bymcchancey
7/21/2019 5:42pm
motomojo wrote:
I tried to provide a first class track in northern AZ but there was just no interest from riders in the area to support it. Verde...
I tried to provide a first class track in northern AZ but there was just no interest from riders in the area to support it.
Verde Valley was a cool track (layout and Temp) was sorry to see it go same with speedworld.

AZ tracks are not supportive of the sport. They all seem to be in competition with each other rather than joining together and giving the state a really nice couple of race series each year.
Then there is the track layouts which now seem all to be flat with some piles of dirt for elevation change woo hoo!!
pretty boring to say the least. I guess Canyon is the last natural terrain track left. It's like AZ is trying to be mediocre.

Glad i have an awesome place to go..
You have a ripping place Joe!!! I cannot wait to come back out!! Once the weather cools I’ll be back!!!
bvm111
7/21/2019 5:43pm
Man you guys could be stuck in Vegas... the track situation is so bad here I drive down to California to ride. I do the 3-4 hour one way drive almost every weekend up and down the I15. I rode at LACR today and even though they were getting silly with the water it’s nice to ride a legit fun and well thought out track.
bymcchancey
7/21/2019 5:46pm
DTHA70 wrote:
A club system could work and if you build something in a fair weather area in northern AZ, we will come from the valley for sure...

I’m trying my best to make something happen!! Doing a lot a research now. It’s going to be tough I know. But this state needs something new in a bad way!
DTHA70
7/21/2019 6:00pm
I’m trying my best to make something happen!! Doing a lot a research now. It’s going to be tough I know. But this state needs something...
I’m trying my best to make something happen!! Doing a lot a research now. It’s going to be tough I know. But this state needs something new in a bad way!
I'm rooting for you man. If any of y'all ever make your way out to ACP, let me know on here and I'll make sure to be loaded down with spare parts and service stuff. I live in buckeye so it's only like 20 minutes from me.
Kzirk525
7/21/2019 11:11pm
DTHA70 wrote:

I’m trying my best to make something happen!! Doing a lot a research now. It’s going to be tough I know. But this state needs something...
That would be awesome! Count me in!
roost251
7/22/2019 11:17pm
bvm111 wrote:
Man you guys could be stuck in Vegas... the track situation is so bad here I drive down to California to ride. I do the 3-4...
Man you guys could be stuck in Vegas... the track situation is so bad here I drive down to California to ride. I do the 3-4 hour one way drive almost every weekend up and down the I15. I rode at LACR today and even though they were getting silly with the water it’s nice to ride a legit fun and well thought out track.
Western MX
White Hills AZ 30 mins from the Dam.
They have Insta and FB with their open days/schedule.
The track is Legit.
Dizzy714
Fantasy
3642nd
7/23/2019 12:48am
Don’t tell me this. I’m moving to AZ next week. Guess it’s time to blow the dust off the mini bikes and have fun on those around town.

Post a reply to: Northern Arizona MX Facility

The Latest