North Carolina Tracks

Related:
Create New Tag

1/29/2018 10:36 AM

hey, Im looking to move to North Carolina, Specificially the Wilmington Area and my major concern is the amount of moto tracks.
I currently live in Southern California where they are by the plentyful and am worried about there not being enough local tracks.
Im not much of a trail rider, specifically tracks.I have been to Weinerts before but that is all i know if in the area.

I am leaning towards Wilmingotn area but if there arent any decent tracks near here then i would probably be persuaded into either the Charlotte or Raleigh area.

Any input of tracks from local riders would be appreciated.

-Rob

|

1/29/2018 10:51 AM

|

1/29/2018 10:53 AM

I’m doing a trip down to NC this may...forget the area but I’m hitting up like 5 tracks all with in an hour so I know there’s a bunch.

|

1/29/2018 11:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 11:16 AM

Wilmington probably has more choices close than charlotte

|

1/29/2018 11:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 11:34 AM

Dang man, that's a pretty large radius within NC to base where you end up living based on the amount of moto tracks in the area laughing I assume you're a serious racer?? I live in South Charlotte area and went to college at UNC Wilmington (graduated 10 yrs ago, so not positive what tracks are still around there).

Raleigh/Durham area is probably the most centralized to the most tracks, where as Wilmington is on the coast so your options are more limited. However, Charlotte is pretty much in the center of North & South Carolina combined, so you've got quick access to ClubMX in Chesterfield, SC (ClubMX is amazing if you haven't been). Also, lots of tracks in the Greenville/Spartanburg area of South Carolina, which is just a couple hours down I-85

Charlotte is a really, really nice place to live. Traffic can be heavy, but the city and most surrounding suburbs are nice and modern with lots of new construction. I've got a soft spot for Wilmington though; beach town, college town. Did I mention there's a beach and college girls galore?? laughing

(this isn't all the tracks, just the ones google grabbed)
Photo

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

1/29/2018 11:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 11:35 AM

jimmy weinart training facility.

For real tho get some beer, your throttle hand, and go to busco beach. Trust me youve never seen anything like this place. Its a free for all and its fucking badass. You even have a dirt drag strip you just pull up to and drag race quads on.

|

1/29/2018 11:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 2:59 PM

Hanks for the input everyone,
I know northcarolina as a whole is good as I'm from newyork originally and would do winter trips down there.
I am a 25 year old serious racer who hits the practice track every weekend. I live at the beach now so I feel Wilmington is my spot.
I love weinerts and iv heard Jacksonville is good too but never been.
Are these my only 2 options within a 2 hour drive is my main question I guess

|

1/29/2018 12:03 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 12:04 PM

Wilmington kinda puts you away from the tracks. Eastern NC has a lot of tracks but they are within a certain area. Jacksonville is more toward that area.
Check out Facebook groups:
Clubncmx - this is state wide group
Southern motocross (smx) - this is local eastern racing series

I'm local to this area but I'm near kinston.
Tracks are:
Kinston fair grounds ironclad mx
Beaver creek-private track the local series use
Half moon mx
Jwtf
West craven mx
5 points mx
Elizabeth city
Sandridge
Jacksonville mx park
cow branch mx
County line mx

|

1/29/2018 12:21 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/29/2018 12:23 PM

motox75 wrote:

I know northcarolina as a whole is good as I'm from newyork originally and would do winter trips ...more

Wide Open MX is a little under 2hrs from Wilmington. I was just there this weekend; it's about a 2hr drive from Charlotte too. Awesome track, I love it. http://wideopenmxparkonline.com/ South of the Border is also under 2hrs, but is mostly private I believe

Not sure if you're looking to rent a house or an apartment or what... but in Wilmington, the further away from Wrightsville Beach, the more affordable it will be. Might look into places closer to Carolina Beach, or in surrounding areas like Leland, Ogden or Castle Hayne. If you want to be IN Wilmington, College Rd (what I-40 turns into) & Market Street (Hwy 17) are the two main streets that pretty much take you from one side of town to the other. Let me know if you have any questions

|

1/29/2018 12:25 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Dang man, that's a pretty large radius within NC to base where you end up living based on the amount of moto tracks in the ...more

Awesome post!

F150MXer where do you live? Im in York SC off the cheap gas exit. ?

|

1/29/2018 12:37 PM

lumpy790 wrote:

Awesome post!

I actually live in Waxhaw, so I'm not too far at all from you

|

1/29/2018 1:27 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Dang man, that's a pretty large radius within NC to base where you end up living based on the amount of moto tracks in the ...more

lumpy790 wrote:

Awesome post!

F150Motocrosser wrote:

That name cracks me up but its a really nice looking town

|

1/29/2018 4:12 PM

We ride at JWTF 2-3 times a week can t find better people than the Weinerts you also have cowbranch MX, Half moon MX, West craven MX a lot of choices if you live in the Jax area plus beach is 40 minutes away. As far as Busco we ride there a lot on our UTV and it's a blast. On a bike I'm not sure it's worth it.

|

"I think the power band snapped?"

1/30/2018 1:50 AM

Plenty of good tracks around Eastern NC. Do not go to Busco unless you like playing russian roulette, no real MX track anyway. Its geared towards atv/utv's.

|

2020 YZ450F
2018 KTM 450SXF FE
2016 YZ250F 2008 CRF450R
2015 YZ250F 2008 CRF250R
2001 CR250R
2010 YZ250 2012 CRF150R
2009 YZ125 2010 KX109.5
SSR Motorsports Dealer YCF Motorcycles
TAGMX Suspension & Graphics! www.tagmxsuspension.com https://www.liquidskinzdesign.com/

1/30/2018 5:43 AM

Like, F150Motocrosser I went to UNCW - (We actually lived in the same apartment complex and met because of moto) and Its a great town. With that said I live right outside of Charlotte now and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else.

While in college I kept my bike at my best friend's house in Raeford NC and I literally drove to Wide Open MX 40 weekends a year. Weinert's is good. Jacksonville was open when I was down there and it was ok, had that typical Florida mx track dirt/flow/feel to it. I hear there are some tracks opening up in the Myrtle Beach area too.

Living in the Charlotte area (Indian Trail) I'm about 45 minutes away from Club Mx. It's prepped and watered every weekend they're open and its always on point though it can be a little tight and you're typically dealing with more serious racer type guys. Motovated "was" 2 hours south and it appears they will reopen somewhere in the Columbia area. Silver Valley is about 1.5 hours away I believe. Wide Open is about 1.75 hours away. When you figure in all of the amenties of living close to a big city, the jobs and the quality of life I think its a no brainer.

If you're into mountain biking we have an awesome summer mountain biking series and you'll see pro moto guys, big time amateur moto guys, pro GNCC guys, occasional nascar drivers...its pretty cool. Charlotte has the US Whitewater Center, closer to the mountains, rock climbing gyms...its just more my style. Wilmington has the beach (flat waves if surfing is your thing), girls, good burritos, a laid back vibe, less of a professional job market, more tourists but overall you won't regret it.

|

1/30/2018 6:55 AM

Charlotte has grown a LOT since we moved down 15 years ago and is now the Banking capital of America. Homes here are 1/3-1/2 less expensive than MD DC - Baltimore area where we moved from.

|

1/30/2018 7:08 AM

Lumpy where do you ride most of the time? I was getting burned out on Club MX PF.

My biggest gripe about Charlotte is the growth. I feel like the infrastructure hasn't kept up so I have to curse my entire drive to work every morning on I-485. I always tell anyone that is considering moving to he area to assess their desire to wait in line because in Charlotte you wait in line anywhere you go for anything you can imagine. Sometimes you wait in line just to wait in line.

|

1/30/2018 7:16 AM

MotoX75 - I wanted to add, the racing in NC isn't what you'll see in SoCal.

When I started racing in 2003 there were like 45 AMA District races per year. In addition to these there was the Carolina Ultra series that ventured into eastern Tennessee and Virginia as well as the Mega Series. Throw in various non-sanctioned races and you had quite the moto community. I used to race every weekend without driving more than an hour away from my house.

The racing has really dried up unless you race 250/450C or 250/450A at the Ultra/Mega races. Food for thought. I wish we had a really good track that put on a series like REM. East Bend puts on a great series and get a great turnout but its at night, and I prefer a track with a little more sand/loam that gets rough.

|

1/30/2018 7:23 AM

I was just getting back to riding more when I got injured 6 months ago and I have a lot of time before my brain can heal enough to ride MX again but its coming along. I am lucky to be alive and functioning. Search for Lumpy790 injured here on Vital for the story.

Over the years I rode at TNT a lot and have a friend up in Kannapolis with a track in his yard. I have always needed seat time before getting the nerve to jump like I used to.

? traffic here is nothing compared to big city’s like Washington DC, Baltimore and Atlanta. I sure do not miss that!

|

1/30/2018 7:32 AM

Another thing to mention. Eastern has deep sandy loam Western is a clay base. But western has elevation and their tracks are more like facilities, mulitiple tracks, structures, parking lots, fences. Most eastern tracks are built in someone's back yard.

This is eastern nc sand
Photo
Photo

|

1/30/2018 7:40 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

I was just getting back to riding more when I got injured 6 months ago and I have a lot of time before my brain can heal ...more

No doubt on the traffic. I used to live in Macon Georgia, worked in Forsyth about an hour south of Atlanta. I bought a spin bike from a guy in ATL on Craigslist once, cut out of work at 4pm...took an hour to get 1 mile away from where I was going...took another hour to go that mile.

I had a pretty big injury while in Georgia, hit a water truck. I was lucky, only broke my leg, could have been worse. It was a real confidence letter-outter. Now I struggle with jumping stuff...I have a wife and kid and I don't want to put them through that and potentially end up worse off than before. There are times at Club MX PF where I'm literally rolling even the smallest of the jumps because I'm not feeling the ruts up the faces. In fact I've never jumped the big table top by the fence. About 3 years ago I had just gotten a brand new Honda 450 and I cased a decent sized (60ft ?) triple. I got slammed pretty hard right in front of my wife, ever since then I've taken it a little more easy.

When you get back to riding let me know man, I usually don't have anyone to go with nowadays as all my friends live on the eastern side of the state.

|

1/30/2018 7:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2018 7:43 AM

Zesiger 112 wrote:

Another thing to mention. Eastern has deep sandy loam Western is a clay base. But western has elevation and their tracks are ...more

LOVE that eastern NC dirt. I miss it daily!!!

|

1/30/2018 7:42 AM

motox75 wrote:

I know northcarolina as a whole is good as I'm from newyork originally and would do winter trips ...more

County Line MX in Bolton NC (near Wilmy) is re-opened under new ownership. There’s YouTube vids. Another track near Wilmington that unfortunately closed was Castle Hayne, smaller lane style track that also ran at night, fun. There’s no development going on there, not sure why it closed. There was a track near Half Moon in Jville called Hawbranch, not that great, and don’t know what’s up with it nowadays.

|

1/30/2018 8:30 AM

TJMX947 wrote:

Lumpy where do you ride most of the time? I was getting burned out on Club MX PF.

My biggest gripe about Charlotte is the ...more

As someone that moved from southern California to Charlotte I think you're crazy because the traffic here is not bad at all but I guess it's all relative.

|

1/30/2018 9:24 AM

Well...relativity is the key. I grew up in a place where if you lived 5 miles from something it took 5 minutes to get there. You probably grew up thinking that when you pull up onto an 8 lane interchange interchange that is completely stopped as being normal (I couldn't do it man).

As far as growth and infrastructure the population in Charlotte has doubled from 1990 to 2015 and no big changes were made to the highways until recently. My wife is from Columbus Ohio which is pretty similar in size and she said traffic flow was considerably better - more east to west high ways and cut overs within their beltline. And you're right, the traffic isn't horrible, its more unpredictable than anything at least on my route to work. Summer time or Holiday weeks = easier commutes. Rain...or even if its just frickin cold, people drive slower. Sprinkle in a few douche bags who think of carving through traffic as a hobby and it makes for a more difficult commute.

|

1/30/2018 11:12 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

I was just getting back to riding more when I got injured 6 months ago and I have a lot of time before my brain can heal ...more

Started riding at TNT 20 years ago, up until Miss Barbara passed. Even though it wasn't always kept perfect, I really, really miss TNT and the convenience and amount of riding style options. I really miss Barbara too!! Such a shame that we lost her. Such a shame allllll that land is just..... sitting there???? :::sigh::::

|

1/30/2018 11:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/30/2018 11:40 AM

One of my buddies reminded me that County Line MX is only about 30mins from Wilmington

http://www.countylinemx.net/Pages/default.aspx

|

1/30/2018 12:23 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

lumpy790 wrote:

Awesome post!

F150Motocrosser wrote:

Hey, I grew up in Waxhaw! Haven’t moved too far away (Ballantyne/Pineville area now), but did you ever happen to ride at the Waxhaw track down Rehobeth a little ways? I believe it was owned by Performance Honda (now Kevin Powell Motorsports) a long time ago, wonder what happened to it.

|

1/30/2018 1:15 PM

F150Motocrosser wrote:

You can scratch the three western most tracks on this map. Brushy mountain is a nice large off road park but not motocross. Silver creek is a private track, no recent public riding there. Catheys creek is a 2/3 scale track that occasionally holds 2/3 scale "outlaw" races and total ripoff practice sessions with 5-7 classes rotating fifteen min each. You are lucky to get an hour total time on the track if you sit there all day.

The riding in the western part of the state is mostly off road/hare scramble/gncc stuff. it is pretty barron as far as moto tracks go. The clay soil out here is very labor intensive to prep and washes out badly in heavy rain

|

ride

1/30/2018 3:25 PM
Edited Date/Time: 3/1/2018 8:15 AM

thatswhathappens wrote:

Hey, I grew up in Waxhaw! Haven’t moved too far away (Ballantyne/Pineville area now), but did you ever happen to ride at the ...more

|