Nor cal riding areas

crockett
7/11/2019 12:18pm
Travelling down to Napa area from Vancouver for 2 weeks in August. Can’t decide whether to bring wakeboard and surfboards along, or the bike. Would stop for a night or 2 in Portland and try to ride one of the nearby tracks. wondering if besides hangtown there are some areas to ride near napa to Sacramento. Track or ORV
Been doing the pnwma series this year and been really enjoying off road. But mostly ride moto, so really am up for any type of riding.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
|
JM485
7/11/2019 12:21pm
Shoot me a PM, I know most of the spots in the area and it would be awesome to get a ride in. I’d recommend tracks only at this time in the year, any trail areas are dry as all hell and being out of the country you’ll probably have some issues getting your bike into state parks.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
7/11/2019 12:23pm
You have to ride Marrysville while you are there. That is a must. Especially E-street.
Sierra Ranger
7/11/2019 12:27pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
You have to ride Marrysville while you are there. That is a must. Especially E-street.
I would second Marysville- it has three tracks and they actually call themselves the Motocross Capital. MMX has a nice sand track with some easy jumps, plus a main track.
Rep Racing Instagram has the most current updates: https://www.instagram.com/repracing/

7/11/2019 12:45pm
Stonyford is in the national forest west of Willows and is awesome place for off road riding, but as another person mentioned your bike would have to be registered (I don't think you can register for a day or two) and you would need a spark arrestor if you rode there. 3 huge areas are interconnected adding up to about 400 miles or marked and rated trails with 4 or 5K feet of elevation change. Some hills go up or down for literally miles and miles. Fast open trails and plenty of narrow single track up in the pine trees. Dry and dusty now, but still alot of fun. Marysville is your best bet for tracks, E-street and Riverfront have great soil and good prep. Layouts are flat, but they are in river bottoms, so its what you would expect. MMX is not as good IMO, their sand track is kind of lame, the jumps have tiny little landings, its almost like hitting long singles all the way around except for 1 or 2 jumps. Hangtown is fun too, but is always tamed down compared to the national layout.

Lakes are pretty full if you have a buddy with a boat.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mendocino/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid…

The Shop

7/11/2019 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2019 12:53pm
Stonyford is in the national forest west of Willows and is awesome place for off road riding, but as another person mentioned your bike would have...
Stonyford is in the national forest west of Willows and is awesome place for off road riding, but as another person mentioned your bike would have to be registered (I don't think you can register for a day or two) and you would need a spark arrestor if you rode there. 3 huge areas are interconnected adding up to about 400 miles or marked and rated trails with 4 or 5K feet of elevation change. Some hills go up or down for literally miles and miles. Fast open trails and plenty of narrow single track up in the pine trees. Dry and dusty now, but still alot of fun. Marysville is your best bet for tracks, E-street and Riverfront have great soil and good prep. Layouts are flat, but they are in river bottoms, so its what you would expect. MMX is not as good IMO, their sand track is kind of lame, the jumps have tiny little landings, its almost like hitting long singles all the way around except for 1 or 2 jumps. Hangtown is fun too, but is always tamed down compared to the national layout.

You can get an out-of-state use permit in-lieu of a green/red sticker.

Also, it's Norcal. You should bring your wake/surf board in addition to your bike.
7/11/2019 12:56pm
Stonyford is in the national forest west of Willows and is awesome place for off road riding, but as another person mentioned your bike would have...

I believe stonyford is still shutdown and will be for some time due to fires awhile back.
7/11/2019 1:13pm
E-Street is a fun sand track with some decent sized triples. Hangtown is hangtown. I've never ridden riverfront personally but everybody says it's a blast and he runs that one at night with lights too (Helps with the summer heat).

If you come as far down as the Bay Area, there are Diablo Ranch MX in Brentwood (Formerly Sand Hill) and Club MX in Livermore. Both of those are fun but Club is a little more tight and jumpy with some SX-ish features right now.

Hope that helps. Best bet for making sure they're open is to check @repracing for hangtown, e street and riverfront, @diabloranchmx, and @msexton31 for club moto
Bruce372
7/11/2019 1:17pm
Don't forget Argyll in Dixon, they have the best dirt. Sister track to club moto
Hammer 663s
7/11/2019 1:30pm
Riverfront was better than MMX just a few weeks ago when we were there. Good prep, some big, safe jumps, and great dirt. Me and the boy both had a blast there.
We also rode MMX sand - it's always a fave too - but it's pretty small. MMX Main wasn't open that day.
Estreet is same dirt as MMX sand but longer and faster. I'd ride that before MMX.
Mike Sexton at Argyll always preps great and the dirt is killer. Check wind report before you go there.
Diablo MX is another option south of Napa, as is Club Moto, another Sexton track with great dirt and layouts.

Portland options are limited. Washougal or Mountain View if open, then Albany MX are my choices. Riverdale is eh.

We miss NorCal. So many places to ride, so many options, so many good operators.

Hammer 663s
7/11/2019 1:49pm
I believe stonyford is still shutdown and will be for some time due to fires awhile back.
Dang, I am out of the loop. You are right, I had not realized the fire last Summer burned that area again. Sounds like they are working to reopen it but it might be a while. Have not been there in about 1.5 years. Thanks for the heads up.
sandtrack315
7/11/2019 1:53pm
E Street is the best track in the area.
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
189th
7/11/2019 2:09pm
E street is open wed/sat/sun 9-2
Riverfront Tuesday/thursday nights and sundays 9-2
Prairie city(hangtown) Thursdays/Sat/Sun 9-2

REP Racing hotline -17752657223 I second E street is great.

MMX Hotline- 15304195200

Cheers
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
7/11/2019 2:30pm
Be prepared for heat if you aren't on the coast or in the Sierra
Hammer 663s
7/11/2019 2:59pm
That's a good point - both e-Street and Riverfront have parking under the highway overpass in total shade, and good river access for an after-moto swim. Argyll and Hangtown and most of the others have little shade. Pop up is a must.

After 4+ years in the PNW I'd forgotten how damn hot Marysville can get. When we lived there I was good up to 100, now I'm dying if it's over 80.
sandtrack315
7/11/2019 3:19pm
Yeah, send it into the river after riding at e street. Overpass provides shaded parking too.
slipdog
7/11/2019 4:50pm
Don’t listen to Paul, I was at Hangtown today and it was 100 degrees and the track was mint. Motocross is not for pussies.
byke
7/11/2019 4:58pm
He was joking. You can tell because he used "Berryessa" and "good clean water" in the same post.
sandtrack315
7/11/2019 5:06pm
lol 80 and not humid and you don’t ride? Never move to east coast.
Vet57
7/11/2019 5:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2019 5:32pm
lol 80 and not humid and you don’t ride? Never move to east coast.
Ditto that....cycling yesterday it was 98 and dew point at 72. Try that on..
Snoqualmie
7/11/2019 9:10pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Don't forget Argyll in Dixon, they have the best dirt. Sister track to club moto
Really? Thought the dirt was rice hulls....
crockett
7/12/2019 12:25pm
appreciate all the info guys, thats basically what I'm looking for, info so i can make a good plan and hopefully sneak in some fun stops.
TeamGreen
7/12/2019 2:23pm
Beaches in Oregon...
Amazing trials in the Shasta National Forest...
And all of that on your way “to” what most people call Nor-cal.
RichieW13
Fantasy
2889th
7/12/2019 4:01pm
Riverfront was better than MMX just a few weeks ago when we were there. Good prep, some big, safe jumps, and great dirt. Me and the...
Riverfront was better than MMX just a few weeks ago when we were there. Good prep, some big, safe jumps, and great dirt. Me and the boy both had a blast there.
We also rode MMX sand - it's always a fave too - but it's pretty small. MMX Main wasn't open that day.
Estreet is same dirt as MMX sand but longer and faster. I'd ride that before MMX.
Mike Sexton at Argyll always preps great and the dirt is killer. Check wind report before you go there.
Diablo MX is another option south of Napa, as is Club Moto, another Sexton track with great dirt and layouts.

Portland options are limited. Washougal or Mountain View if open, then Albany MX are my choices. Riverdale is eh.

We miss NorCal. So many places to ride, so many options, so many good operators.

Hammer 663s
A few years ago I was visiting Portland and accidentally discovered Portland International Raceway MX. It seemed like a really cool place. I almost want to move there, just to be able to participate!

I guess it's only open for racing - no practice?

https://www.thursdaynightmotocross.com/
Bruce372
7/12/2019 5:12pm
Who's up for argyll tomorrow?
gsxr6
7/12/2019 6:14pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Beaches in Oregon...
Amazing trials in the Shasta National Forest...
And all of that on your way “to” what most people call Nor-cal.
I second this motion, Shasta chappie and french gulch ftw.
coastie44
7/12/2019 6:34pm
Another vote for E-street. IMHO its the best track in norcal.
NorcalVet
7/13/2019 3:51pm
And no mention of Oatfield ?
E St / Mmx sand track great also.
- just all my broken bones came from E St, that sand likes to bite ya back sometimes.

Post a reply to: Nor cal riding areas

The Latest