Nobody wants to ride the Yamaha. Is it the bike, or Yamaha?

Edited Date/Time 10/4/2019 6:06pm
Romain Febvre Signs with Monster Energy Kawasaki MXGP

October 1st, 2019 – Monster Energy Kawasaki announced today that they have signed Romain Febvre to a deal that will see him contend the MXGP World Championship for two years with the team. He will join Clement Desalle on the team. Look for more images to come of Romain on the bike once he is fully healthy.

Romain Febvre: "I'm proud and happy to announce you that I’m joining the Monster Energy Kawasaki Racing Team for the next two years. I’m still healing from my leg injury, waiting to be good to go! I already want to ride so bad with my new bike."
|
Lynch
10/2/2019 2:25am
He looked pretty damn good on the bike when he was healthy, just saying.
10/2/2019 2:35am
Lynch wrote:
He looked pretty damn good on the bike when he was healthy, just saying.
But how much better will he be? Just asking.
Ray_MXS
10/2/2019 2:41am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2019 2:47am
Yamaha helped him win a MXGP title and a ton of GP wins and podiums, as late as just this year.
There´s nothing wrong with the Yamaha, it is as good as any bike in the class.

He probably wanted a change or got a better offer from Kawasaki is all.

With Rinaly Yamaha going away, he didnt have a contract and with Wilvo already having Tonus and Paulin, there probably wasnt enough funding. Seewer was also probably a slightly higher priority for Yamaha, so there was just no room for a big-budget deal for Febvre.

He was a contender for the win for every GP he lined up for, while healthy,
I dont see it changing on the Kawi. He still needs to stay healthy to compete for a title again.
MitchMX
Fantasy
1200th
10/2/2019 2:45am
When he stays fit, he sure is a top 5 rider.
But he also was on the Yamaha, so I won't see big differences.
But perhaps the new environment will give him that extra boost to be a title contender again...

The Shop

Adam89
10/2/2019 2:47am
The 450 is on the lower end of the totem pole in regards to its competition
crowe176
10/2/2019 2:51am
Are they still allowed to change anything on the bike in GP’s? If that’s the case, there’s no reason to blame the bike. (Me ->Buys first Yamaha, becomes one of “those” guys)
rangot
10/2/2019 3:23am
He just didn't want to be in the Wilvo environment. Change can be good for him. Yamaha's big boss in Europe Eric De Seyne still gave him a huge accolade with a very nice post.
cody41
10/2/2019 5:07am
As a previous owner of 2 yz450fs and a current yz250, I don’t think the 450 is competitive with the backward design. The bike is great if you want to cruise around though.
Zaugg
10/2/2019 5:49am
It's funny how the YZ450F wins all the shootouts but none of the teams here in the US can figure out how to get it set up to compete at the highest level. 250's = yes 450's=not so much

Obviously they did something right over in EU for Febvre but then again, the ability to make drastic changes is far more likely than what is allowed by the AMA.

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/2/2019 6:37am
Pretty sure this has more to do with Yamaha seeing other riders as a better investment than Febvre. He won his title and has had nothing but injuries since. When he was healthy, he fought for wins. Sounds more like a rider issue than a bike issue. Just sayin’
Hudd_421
10/2/2019 7:20am
How come noone points blame at management at the US Yamaha team? Everyone is out to fire Jbone at JGR, but you look at a factory team that scared away Reed and Webb, and have been so lost with set up AP went from a national champ to a 15th place guy...

The stock bike is good. I don't think anyone can say the 2020 is any worse than any other bike out there.
10/2/2019 7:29am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2019 7:31am
cody41 wrote:
As a previous owner of 2 yz450fs and a current yz250, I don’t think the 450 is competitive with the backward design. The bike is great...
As a previous owner of 2 yz450fs and a current yz250, I don’t think the 450 is competitive with the backward design. The bike is great if you want to cruise around though.
So the dude this thread is about was just non-competitively cruising around when he won the world championship on it?
Spudnut
10/2/2019 7:31am
Kawi hasn’t won a premier class title in mxgp in a while either, that bike must be crap too
Johnny Depp
10/2/2019 7:44am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Pretty sure this has more to do with Yamaha seeing other riders as a better investment than Febvre. He won his title and has had nothing...
Pretty sure this has more to do with Yamaha seeing other riders as a better investment than Febvre. He won his title and has had nothing but injuries since. When he was healthy, he fought for wins. Sounds more like a rider issue than a bike issue. Just sayin’
When the Broncin Buc keeps throwing the Cowboy you look for another horse.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
10/2/2019 8:10am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Pretty sure this has more to do with Yamaha seeing other riders as a better investment than Febvre. He won his title and has had nothing...
So it’s always gotta be the Yamaha? Couldn’t possibly be the way he’s riding or the way he sets his bike up, could it? I don’t see him being any better on green than he was in blue. Funny how when it comes to Yamaha or Suzuki everyone blames the bike, but any other bike it’s always the rider.
Johnny Depp
10/2/2019 8:17am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
So it’s always gotta be the Yamaha? Couldn’t possibly be the way he’s riding or the way he sets his bike up, could it? I don’t...
So it’s always gotta be the Yamaha? Couldn’t possibly be the way he’s riding or the way he sets his bike up, could it? I don’t see him being any better on green than he was in blue. Funny how when it comes to Yamaha or Suzuki everyone blames the bike, but any other bike it’s always the rider.
Surely you remember the Red Curse?
beamer
10/2/2019 8:28am
There is obviously something about it at the absolute upper level of the sport.
xr70
10/2/2019 9:11am
Adam89 wrote:
The 450 is on the lower end of the totem pole in regards to its competition
Yea , right on! Go get Ktm bro!
Motofinne
10/2/2019 9:17am
The Factory Kawasaki team in the GPs is a French based team, so that had to be a factor too?
TSCHAM101
10/2/2019 9:18am
Hudd_421 wrote:
How come noone points blame at management at the US Yamaha team? Everyone is out to fire Jbone at JGR, but you look at a factory...
How come noone points blame at management at the US Yamaha team? Everyone is out to fire Jbone at JGR, but you look at a factory team that scared away Reed and Webb, and have been so lost with set up AP went from a national champ to a 15th place guy...

The stock bike is good. I don't think anyone can say the 2020 is any worse than any other bike out there.
i think its all on management and set up... been saying it since webbs 450 rookie year.. they dont have a clue on how to setup their bike... and for the record im not saying i can do any better...

I believe star practices during the week with the 450.. maybe they have some better set ups?
Hudd_421
10/2/2019 9:37am
Hudd_421 wrote:
How come noone points blame at management at the US Yamaha team? Everyone is out to fire Jbone at JGR, but you look at a factory...

TSCHAM101 wrote:
i think its all on management and set up... been saying it since webbs 450 rookie year.. they dont have a clue on how to setup...
i think its all on management and set up... been saying it since webbs 450 rookie year.. they dont have a clue on how to setup their bike... and for the record im not saying i can do any better...

I believe star practices during the week with the 450.. maybe they have some better set ups?
Interestingly enough, there was some drama with Barcia back when he was on Yamaha's at JGR. He went out to Cali and rode a 450 set up by factory Yamaha and apparently loved it. This added to the conflict between JGR and Yamaha...

Depending on who you talk to there were 2 issues: JGR wanted to do all development their way or Yamaha wasn't willing to play ball and divulge set up info from in house or Japan.

I love what Yamaha has done from a marketing perspective and both their big bikes (I bleed blu, so bias here...) but there's something going on with the racing team. Seems like noone talks about it, it's all just "that backwards motor blah blah...."
jeffro503
10/2/2019 9:53am
Whoa!! ( on the news about Romain going to Kawi ). Was not expecting that , but I bet it'll be a great fit for him. I would have thought Yamaha would of stepped up to keep him.

On the Yamaha's , me personally , I don't like the fit and feel of them. They feel really big and wide. But a few buddies I know that do ride them , love them for that very same reason , and say they feel really " planted " compared to ther bikes available. Not my thing , but some guys swear by them.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
10/2/2019 10:52am Edited Date/Time 10/2/2019 10:53am
Who knows? That's why they run the races. Just saying.
brimx153
10/2/2019 10:56am
The kawi team in mxgp have been worse than Yamaha the usa. desale is nt half the rider since he left Suzuki. I am crossing my finger s febvre will be as good or better than he was on Yamaha. But that kawi team has nt worked for alot of rider s .

Ps , do you even look at mxgp . There was so many races this year with 4 Yamaha s in the top 5 .
sam hain
10/2/2019 11:05am
Hudd_421 wrote:

I think the problem is Keith myself, its no secret Yamaha doesn't want rider setup to stray to far from there bottom line (whatever that is). Reed has said in interviews he offered to help develop the bike and was basically told "we don't need your help the bike is fine".
kiwifan
10/2/2019 2:43pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
So it’s always gotta be the Yamaha? Couldn’t possibly be the way he’s riding or the way he sets his bike up, could it? I don’t...
Surely you remember the Red Curse?
I think 9 times out of 10 a bad season or injuries are actually due to rider error or even track conditions, but for Vitards it is much easier to blame the brand, especially when it is one you do not like
kkawboy14
10/2/2019 2:49pm Edited Date/Time 10/2/2019 2:49pm
A lot of Yamaha guys got hurt but all the kawasaki guys got hurt in the GPs

Post a reply to: Nobody wants to ride the Yamaha. Is it the bike, or Yamaha?

The Latest