NoToil as a filter oil?

7/9/2020 7:27pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2020 11:10am
How do y'all feel about NoToil as an air filter oil? Forget the cleaning aspects of it.... what do you think about its ability to filter DUST?
|
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
7/9/2020 7:29pm
It has worked fantastic for me for the last 10 years
smv ryder
Fantasy
1425th
7/9/2020 7:33pm
I’m very happy. This was a race in Monticello, Utah.

7/9/2020 7:47pm
smv ryder wrote:
I’m very happy. This was a race in Monticello, Utah. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/09/437183/s1200_FE8ECE55_75AA_45FD_80E7_3CBE0F5DE249.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/07/09/437184/s1200_92AE6F5E_B1FA_4CCD_B225_97F364FBDC9C.jpg[/img]
I’m very happy. This was a race in Monticello, Utah.

That's impressive. Is that the original or the Evo (green) oil? I think Evo from the color of your filter but just checking.

The Shop

Chance1216
7/9/2020 7:56pm
I use No Toil. Works great. No issues. Switched awhile back from PJ1 black label.
Dimblewambie
7/9/2020 8:08pm
I’ve had great success with it, both the ease of washing and the filtering abilities.
mikec265
7/9/2020 8:17pm
I won't use anything else and Clean them with oxy clean.
FWYT
7/9/2020 8:18pm
I think it does a great job. Been using it forever. Not crazy about the green formula, though. I stick
to the red stuff. And of course, when you clean a filter and announce to your non-moto buddies
on social media that you got a new tub of RIM GREASE, that's always good for a side-eye. LaughingLaughingLaughing
langhammx
Fantasy
323rd
7/9/2020 8:19pm
I know I’m not helping answer your question, but this may help someone reading.... lol

I use the DT1 filters and buy them oiled.
I use them and send them back to have them cleaned and oiled and shipped back to me in a clean bag. It’s so nice Wink

I send 20-30 filters at a time and it’s like $5 a filter and me mess and no wasted time. WIN-WIN

I have better things to do than mess with dirty air filters. But when I did them myself, I used Maxima. No Toil has loyal customers and I have no experience with them. But I do know I won’t be cleaning dirty air filters in my washing machine.
7/9/2020 8:24pm
It’s easy on and easy off to clean. No issues out here in dusty SoCal. I run their air filter cage and buy their pre oiled filters
motoGleamer
Fantasy
739th
7/9/2020 8:25pm
My experience was that it settled to the bottom of my filter and left the top portion without much oil. I had put fresh oil on a new filter in my bike after cleaning it and I didnt think to check it before the next ride. I went back to a spray oil after that.
7/9/2020 8:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 8:44pm
I’ve used nothing but No Toil for probably 15 years with no issues at all. I can’t figure out why anyone would use anything but No Toil. I prefer the spray on No Toil myself.
Bennett59
7/9/2020 9:37pm
Use no toil and now maxima both are great. When using the no toil red or green liked them both. Just make sure to do the no toil in advance to let it dry. Probably going to switch back to the no toil stuff there cleaning stuff makes it easy.
basslips
Fantasy
2045th
7/9/2020 10:09pm
Tried Notoil about 2010ish. Didn't care for it then but now realize it was because of my error. Then till about 3 months ago used Belray or FFT. My son making as absolute disaster of my shop cleaning his own filters prompted me to try Notoil again. This time around when oiling a filter I let it set on the counter for 10-15 minutes before installing in the bike. I also only oil filters no more than a day before I know I'm going to ride. So far it's been working out great, and yes, cleaning them is SO MUCH NICER!
Timo_2824
7/9/2020 10:53pm
basslips wrote:
Tried Notoil about 2010ish. Didn't care for it then but now realize it was because of my error. Then till about 3 months ago used Belray...
Tried Notoil about 2010ish. Didn't care for it then but now realize it was because of my error. Then till about 3 months ago used Belray or FFT. My son making as absolute disaster of my shop cleaning his own filters prompted me to try Notoil again. This time around when oiling a filter I let it set on the counter for 10-15 minutes before installing in the bike. I also only oil filters no more than a day before I know I'm going to ride. So far it's been working out great, and yes, cleaning them is SO MUCH NICER!
I let mine sit at least overnight before installing on the bike. I have 3 filters that I wash and oil at the same time. 2 of them go into a ziplock waiting to be used, longest I've had one sit is 3 months. Never had any issues. I like the red oil better but have used both without issue.
7/9/2020 11:24pm
langhammx wrote:
I know I’m not helping answer your question, but this may help someone reading.... lol I use the DT1 filters and buy them oiled. I use...
I know I’m not helping answer your question, but this may help someone reading.... lol

I use the DT1 filters and buy them oiled.
I use them and send them back to have them cleaned and oiled and shipped back to me in a clean bag. It’s so nice Wink

I send 20-30 filters at a time and it’s like $5 a filter and me mess and no wasted time. WIN-WIN

I have better things to do than mess with dirty air filters. But when I did them myself, I used Maxima. No Toil has loyal customers and I have no experience with them. But I do know I won’t be cleaning dirty air filters in my washing machine.
Get no toil, cleaning them is quicker and easier than driving to the post office.
navalseabee
7/10/2020 3:12am
Been using No Toil for 6-7 years never had an issue. I always used the red but recently switched to the green. I like the green better, seems to spread through the filter a little easier, just requires a pretty long dry time. I also pinch pennies and use OXY-Clean to wash them instead of their cleaner, works just as well.
JBecker 72
7/10/2020 3:16am
Ramrod wrote:
It has worked fantastic for me for the last 10 years
Same. I use Twin Air filters because they fit as well as stock and No Toil green bottle oil. I also use their grease around the filter base. The stuff works and cleans up easy.
7/10/2020 4:18am
I’ve tried it and I’m NOT a believer. Yes it is more environmentally friendly, and yes it is easier to clean, but for me it just does not work as effectively. I gave it a good try for about a year, tried different methods (NoToil grease vs no grease) and Sand gets past the NoToil, where it doesn’t with other brands.
fourfourone
7/10/2020 4:47am
I switched to no toil a few years ago. Living in a condo I need to be careful about what I use to clean air filters.

I use the no toil red spray. I spray it on evenly front and back and then hand message it in. Let it sit over night and im good to go. I use DT1 filters pretty for the most part and they have a neoprene type seal. I spray that seal with a light coat right before I put the filter on.(yz450). The backside of my filters are always spotless even after a full track day at southwick.

I will agree its not as tacky or sticky as PJ1 that I used to use. but I have never had an issue.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
2109th
7/10/2020 5:16am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2020 5:18am
I been using the red, and no grease on the rim the last 4 years, on numerous bikes. Hundreds of hours with no problems. I use a generous amount of oil and squeeze out the excess. We ride in very sandy and dusty conditions and so far we have no issue with dirt getting by....
MudPup545
7/10/2020 5:20am
Been using it for eight years now. No complaints. Put them in the washer, warm water, gentle cycle and they come out perfect.
7/10/2020 5:22am
Love It !!!!!!! No Mess No Fuss !!!!!! I use green as I think green is NON flammable if I remember correctly? I use their rim grease and cleaner.
7/10/2020 6:23am
Good stuff with a lot of good tips. I was gonna return the NoToil Super Flo kit that I asked about in another thread (now deleted). Then NoToil came thru and answered my question and now I'm thinking about keeping and using the kit. THEN I read some negative experiences with the oil itself and was pretty sure. But then I re-read the review on the kit here and, well, you know how it goes... round and round.

I used NoToil almost exclusively for 10 years but that was on a KDX on trails and such. Not in dusty hare scrambles or MX races or the kind of thing I push my KX thru. I never had issues and I'd just oil up a filter and leave it in a bag until I needed- unknowingly I _was_ letting it sit.

I have a brand-new Uni for the KX that I hate to just throw away, but unless I'm wrong, it looks like the Power-Flo kit simply replaces the backfire screen with a gasket, leaving the actual filter mating surface untouched. I guess I'll see, but right now I don't know why I can't use the Uni filter with NoToil oil as it looks to me like the key to keeping the bike from catching fire w/out a backfire screen is the NoToil oil itself. Thus my Q in this thread!

Right now I'm thinking of keeping the kit and using NoToil in the KX.

kb228
7/10/2020 6:34am
I use the spray on oil(red). Probably the best oil around. You dont need grease on the rim either. The no toil oil basically glues your filter to the airbox. Plus cleaning it is easy as hell.
RGaede
7/10/2020 8:49am
Good stuff with a lot of good tips. I was gonna return the NoToil Super Flo kit that I asked about in another thread (now deleted)...
Good stuff with a lot of good tips. I was gonna return the NoToil Super Flo kit that I asked about in another thread (now deleted). Then NoToil came thru and answered my question and now I'm thinking about keeping and using the kit. THEN I read some negative experiences with the oil itself and was pretty sure. But then I re-read the review on the kit here and, well, you know how it goes... round and round.

I used NoToil almost exclusively for 10 years but that was on a KDX on trails and such. Not in dusty hare scrambles or MX races or the kind of thing I push my KX thru. I never had issues and I'd just oil up a filter and leave it in a bag until I needed- unknowingly I _was_ letting it sit.

I have a brand-new Uni for the KX that I hate to just throw away, but unless I'm wrong, it looks like the Power-Flo kit simply replaces the backfire screen with a gasket, leaving the actual filter mating surface untouched. I guess I'll see, but right now I don't know why I can't use the Uni filter with NoToil oil as it looks to me like the key to keeping the bike from catching fire w/out a backfire screen is the NoToil oil itself. Thus my Q in this thread!

Right now I'm thinking of keeping the kit and using NoToil in the KX.

Love the no toil filter oil! I used to use the red, but it is alcohol based, and it ate the glue out of a uni filter. Switched to green, and i actually like it better than red since it's non flammable it gives a little piece of mind. I haven't used green on a uni, but since it's water based it shouldn't harm the glue, it differs need to sit out at least an hour before installing in the bike for the oil to set.
Falcon
Fantasy
765th
7/10/2020 9:32am
Bel-Ray did a comparison using an automotive standard test back in the early 2000s. Of course, they made their own oil look good, but NoToil did pretty well also: https://www.belray.com/foam-filter-oil/

bultokid
7/10/2020 9:49am
kb228 wrote:
I use the spray on oil(red). Probably the best oil around. You dont need grease on the rim either. The no toil oil basically glues your...
I use the spray on oil(red). Probably the best oil around. You dont need grease on the rim either. The no toil oil basically glues your filter to the airbox. Plus cleaning it is easy as hell.
Same setup I've been using for long time. Prefer the spray vs oil as cleaner and easier to me. Used the rim grease time or two but found didn't need it. I also have used the PC pro-seal for years as well, works great with the NoToil. hate working on a grimed out air box so as a sick puppy I also use the NoToil airbox cleaner and mine looks like new and no worries of crud getting in carb.

Post a reply to: NoToil as a filter oil?

The Latest