No one predicted Webb last year

McG194
Or Anderson the year before for that matter. Why can't Mookie win 5 races next year?

I'm not even calling him a title favorite because I don't know if he has the consistency, but what he does have is the flat out raw speed to be the fastest guy on the track any given night.

Pros:
Possibly current fastest guy in the world in whoops
Dude is shake your head fast
Fitter than he has ever been
Had to learn something from big bro
Former (250) champion

Cons:
Hasn't won on big bikes yet
Stewart win it or bin it mentality
Has lacked consistency

I'm sure I will get flamed like a mother but you would flame anyone that said Cooper would even win a race last year. You would have been laughed off of Vital if you said Anderson would win it in 18. Lately Supercross has confounded the so called experts, why can't Mookie be this years out of nowhere guy?
|
9/16/2019 1:44pm
mookie needs to put a solid season together first more races he does the better i think he can top5 and be a podium guy in 2020
KX500
9/16/2019 1:50pm
Mookie is one of my favorite riders. It would be awesome to see him be this years Cooper Webb.

He does crash a lot though. But surely he has people telling him that crashing usually results in a poorer finish, right?

I feel like he is very close to a break through. Staying off the ground and putting in some top 5 results would be a very good start.
Press516
Fantasy
90th
9/16/2019 1:54pm
I picked him as a 5-7 guy with a few podiums if he stays healthy. But the unpredictability of SX absolutely comes in to play. I do think this will be his best year yet on the big bike.
Question
9/16/2019 2:08pm
His progression on the 450 reminds me a lot of his progression on the 250.

Initially on the 250 I remember that he was not that great and was really inconsistent. 1 year later he started to sniff the top 3, but was not consistent at all. Then he started to be more consistent after a couple seasons, and eventually won a title.

I agree that it is really possible he get some podiums and why not a couple of wins next season ; but we also need to look at the line up, there 5 or 7 very solid and fast "superstars" capable of winning, so to land on the podium won't be easy for sure.

The Shop

Dust601
9/16/2019 2:08pm
Think I read somewhere he washed out, and went down at Canadian SX other day. I like him, and root for him to do well, but I just can’t see him making it through a entire season. I think part of the reason he’s so fast, and crashes so often is he’s constantly riding over his head. Competition wise I’m not sure where he’d be if he toned it down a notch, but he’d prolly stay on the bike better.
early
Fantasy
2231st
9/16/2019 2:20pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2019 2:50pm
Hope to see him in 17 sx races in 2020. The 450 class is gonna be stacked next year.

Webb
Tomac
Roczen
Anderson
Musquin
Osborne
Ciancarillo
Barcia
Wilson
Brayton
Stewart
Plessinger
Reed
Savatgy
Friese
Bogle
Bloss
Baggett

t_baum88
9/16/2019 2:22pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2019 2:28pm
The funny thing is people did predict Cooper last year.. and the fact that you’re comparing Malcolm to Cooper is pretty mind blowing.
9/16/2019 2:26pm
t_baum88 wrote:
The funny thing is people did predict Cooper last year.. and the fact that you’re comparing Malcolm to Cooper is pretty mind blowing.
Mind blowing indeed. And comparing Smart Top with RB KTM...
t_baum88
9/16/2019 2:36pm
t_baum88 wrote:
KTMmarkus wrote:
Tony Alessi+Hot tubs=Roger Decoster

Twinkies+Fishing+Taking summer off=Aldon Baker

You know upon further review op might be right should probably just give him the race wins now.

FuzzyLogic
9/16/2019 2:46pm
early wrote:
Hope to see him in 17 sx races in 2020. The 450 class is gonna be stacked next year. Webb Tomac Roczen Anderson Musquin Osborne Ciancarillo...
Hope to see him in 17 sx races in 2020. The 450 class is gonna be stacked next year.

Webb
Tomac
Roczen
Anderson
Musquin
Osborne
Ciancarillo
Barcia
Wilson
Brayton
Stewart
Plessinger
Reed
Savatgy
Friese
Bogle
Bloss
Baggett

and add AC to that list. That makes 18 guys that are expected to make the main every weekend. Going to be tough sledding for quite a few privateers for a while with 10+ guys vying for 2 "open" spots.
mac3-d
9/16/2019 2:59pm
early wrote:
Hope to see him in 17 sx races in 2020. The 450 class is gonna be stacked next year. Webb Tomac Roczen Anderson Musquin Osborne Ciancarillo...

Webb
Tomac
Roczen
Anderson
Musquin
Osborne
Ciancarillo
Barcia
Wilson
Brayton
Stewart
Plessinger
Reed
Savatgy
Friese
Bogle
Bloss
Baggett

FuzzyLogic wrote:
and add AC to that list. That makes 18 guys that are expected to make the main every weekend. Going to be tough sledding for quite...
and add AC to that list. That makes 18 guys that are expected to make the main every weekend. Going to be tough sledding for quite a few privateers for a while with 10+ guys vying for 2 "open" spots.
7th on list Blush
deanwhite51
Fantasy
2591st
9/16/2019 3:07pm
With how stacked the field is...you can pick 10 names and all have either won or stood on the podium.
Its hard to pick any of the riders. Lets not forget the rides Bagget had out front last year either.

A lot of riders have a lot of pressure on them to perform next year.
The only one who i see that has no pressure and often performs best with no pressure is Anderson. Wont be surprised to see him have great season again.

Hopefully Mookie just completes the season in the top 10 and stays healthy.

Ranman68
9/16/2019 3:16pm
Hey man there's nothing wrong with being a Mookie fan. I love the dude, and he does indeed have the talent/skill to be the unexpected Cinderella story you propose. You never know in supercross what can happen.
As much as I love ole Mookie myself, I gotta say I think it's a long shot for him to wind up the 2020 SX champ. A very long shot. But... A race win or two or three is very possible if he can just stay off the ground and not get flustered mentally. The talent is there, but I don't think he has enough mental strength to put in the rides needed for 17 straight rounds. And as good as the team/ bike he will be on is, it's still not quite on the level of what the top factory guys have.
Mookie has speed though. He could have some outstanding nights. I like the dude, so I hope he does.
Cali
9/16/2019 3:32pm
t_baum88 wrote:
KTMmarkus wrote:
t_baum88 wrote:
Tony Alessi+Hot tubs=Roger Decoster

Twinkies+Fishing+Taking summer off=Aldon Baker

You know upon further review op might be right should probably just give him the race wins now.

Been drinking at lunch again?
t_baum88
9/16/2019 3:36pm
Cali wrote:
Been drinking at lunch again?
I mean, my math could be wrong but pretty sure I got the variables right.
McG194
9/16/2019 4:04pm
t_baum88 wrote:
Who was predicting Cooper last year? Not these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBavV_XoJyY

Show me where I compared them. I'm not saying Mookie wins the title, all I'm saying is that I wouldn't be shocked if he won 5 races.

Jan 1 2018 you would have been laughed at if you picked Anderson over Eli or Marv.

Jan 1 2019 you would have been laughed at if you picked Cooper Webb over Eli or anyone at the Baker Factory.
t_baum88
9/16/2019 4:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2019 4:15pm
t_baum88 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
Who was predicting Cooper last year? Not these guys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBavV_XoJyY Show me where I compared them. I'm not saying Mookie wins the title, all I'm saying...

Show me where I compared them. I'm not saying Mookie wins the title, all I'm saying is that I wouldn't be shocked if he won 5 races.

Jan 1 2018 you would have been laughed at if you picked Anderson over Eli or Marv.

Jan 1 2019 you would have been laughed at if you picked Cooper Webb over Eli or anyone at the Baker Factory.
You directly compared Malcom to Cooper and Jason..

I had Cooper down for the title last year. As did thousands (at least hundreds) of other people did.
The people saying he was done and not going to amount to anything are some of the most stupid and biased people on the face of the earth and wanted to write him off because they don’t like his attitude.
We don’t all come to vital to post our predictions because who gives a fuck?

How about we do it this way. You seem very very high on mookie, since I know you won’t actually make a real bet on him winning podium etc. let’s make a bet right up his wheelhouse 100 bucks if he’s the fastest guy in any main event this year. Yep. He doesn’t even have to finish one race, just be the fastest guy in a main.

You sticking by your guy? If you think he can win 5 races next year this should be easy money for you
kkawboy14
9/16/2019 4:42pm
One things for sure, all the top guys are one dirt nap away from losing the Championship!

So anyone realistically has a shot!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
9/16/2019 4:45pm
I think Smartop MotoConcepts Racing is a good home for Malcolm. It was unfortunate that he got hurt as early as he did last season, and we didn't get to see the best of what he could do.

I'm stoked to see him healed up from his injury last season, plus being fitter and stronger heading into '20 is a good bonus. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
McG194
9/16/2019 5:13pm
t_baum88 wrote:
You directly compared Malcom to Cooper and Jason.. I had Cooper down for the title last year. As did thousands (at least hundreds) of other people...

I had Cooper down for the title last year. As did thousands (at least hundreds) of other people did.
The people saying he was done and not going to amount to anything are some of the most stupid and biased people on the face of the earth and wanted to write him off because they don’t like his attitude.

How about we do it this way. You seem very very high on mookie, since I know you won’t actually make a real bet on him winning podium etc. let’s make a bet right up his wheelhouse 100 bucks if he’s the fastest guy in any main event this year. Yep. He doesn’t even have to finish one race, just be the fastest guy in a main.

You sticking by your guy? If you think he can win 5 races next year this should be easy money for you
I think you need to learn reading comprehension son.

A comparison would be if I said that Mookie was a title favorite because two dark horses won previously.

I simply posed a question. There is a vast difference.

As far as thousands picked him, no you are wrong. Most wrote him off after Barcia flipped him off at Dilla and he did nothing.

What is this sticking by my guy stuff? Are you a 14 year old girl? I am not a fan of anyone. I appreciate his speed and I think he has a chance to get multiple wins nothing more nothing less.

Your bet is asinine. He will be the fastest man on the track easily. Just as easily the same day he could end up in a full body cast.
hamncheeze
9/16/2019 5:16pm
Anderson had won races before 2018 and finished 3rd in points in 2016. Webb had podiums in both 2017 and 2018. So far in the 450 class, Malcolm has none of that. He needs to walk before he runs, finish all 17 rounds and score a podium or 2 would be super progression for him in 2020.
Haze51
9/16/2019 6:14pm
McG194 wrote:
Or Anderson the year before for that matter. Why can't Mookie win 5 races next year? I'm not even calling him a title favorite because I...
Or Anderson the year before for that matter. Why can't Mookie win 5 races next year?

I'm not even calling him a title favorite because I don't know if he has the consistency, but what he does have is the flat out raw speed to be the fastest guy on the track any given night.

Pros:
Possibly current fastest guy in the world in whoops
Dude is shake your head fast
Fitter than he has ever been
Had to learn something from big bro
Former (250) champion

Cons:
Hasn't won on big bikes yet
Stewart win it or bin it mentality
Has lacked consistency

I'm sure I will get flamed like a mother but you would flame anyone that said Cooper would even win a race last year. You would have been laughed off of Vital if you said Anderson would win it in 18. Lately Supercross has confounded the so called experts, why can't Mookie be this years out of nowhere guy?
Agree with this. He's not necessarily the guy who's going to seal the title, the biggest thing up in the air is Mook's consistency. But as far as gnarly, Stew-esque raw speed goes? The dude certainly has that in spades.

I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility for him to come away from some rounds with solid, surprising results, the biggest factor is the inherent Stewart issue around keeping the thing on two wheels.

I think a big part of Anderson's and perhaps Webb's success is no one expected them to be the guy, that takes the pressure off. Much the same for a laid back dude like Mookie.

zehn
9/16/2019 6:43pm
FuzzyLogic wrote:
and add AC to that list. That makes 18 guys that are expected to make the main every weekend. Going to be tough sledding for quite...
Until the injury bug starts biting...
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
9/16/2019 7:14pm
t_baum88 wrote:
I agree because there was plenty of people saying Webb could and would win the championship last year even though I was not one of them but I will say Stewart is a looooooooong shot, not just because he crashes a lot but he fades the last half of the race. He could sneak in a win if some of the riders in better shape have problems but don't think he can push hard the whole race and win if there was pressure on him.
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3725th
9/16/2019 7:28pm
t_baum88 wrote:
McG194 wrote:
Who was predicting Cooper last year? Not these guys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBavV_XoJyY Show me where I compared them. I'm not saying Mookie wins the title, all I'm saying...

t_baum88 wrote:
You directly compared Malcom to Cooper and Jason.. I had Cooper down for the title last year. As did thousands (at least hundreds) of other people...

I’ll take that bet.
t_baum88
9/16/2019 8:43pm
t_baum88 wrote:

McG194 wrote:
I think you need to learn reading comprehension son. A comparison would be if I said that Mookie was a title favorite because two dark horses...
I think you need to learn reading comprehension son.

A comparison would be if I said that Mookie was a title favorite because two dark horses won previously.

I simply posed a question. There is a vast difference.

As far as thousands picked him, no you are wrong. Most wrote him off after Barcia flipped him off at Dilla and he did nothing.

What is this sticking by my guy stuff? Are you a 14 year old girl? I am not a fan of anyone. I appreciate his speed and I think he has a chance to get multiple wins nothing more nothing less.

Your bet is asinine. He will be the fastest man on the track easily. Just as easily the same day he could end up in a full body cast.
“I'm sure I will get flamed like a mother but you would flame anyone that said Cooper would even win a race last year. You would have been laughed off of Vital if you said Anderson would win it in 18. Lately Supercross has confounded the so called experts, why can't Mookie be this years out of nowhere guy?”

Don’t know what planet you live on, but where I come from (earth), that’s a comparison. I don’t know what it is with you and telling people to work on their reading comprehension but I see it’s a constant with you. Maybe take your own advice?

Just because you were ignorant enough to write him off after that doesn’t mean everyone was on your level.

If you’re not a fan and you’re just saying he could win 5 races... well then I’d say you’re probably the same guy that wrote Cooper off because Barcia could ride a tub of shit better than he could.

If my bet is so asinine and you think he could be fastest on track easily... why wouldn’t you take it? He has to do 1 lap faster than everyone else, should be easy for a dude that you can’t come up with a reason against winning 5 races?
t_baum88
9/16/2019 8:44pm
McG194 wrote:

t_baum88 wrote:

I’ll take that bet.
Cool message me!
9/16/2019 9:22pm
Track with big whoops. Tomac having an off night. Gets a good start. Doesn’t crash. And he can win
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
9/16/2019 10:05pm
t_baum88 wrote:

I’ll take that bet.
t_baum88 wrote:
Cool message me!
That’s an awesome bet. Can’t wait to see how it plays out each week. He needed just over a second at A1 and Glendale. In his interview after Montreal he said he was really nervous to be back on the gate again so hopefully he can shake that by Jan with the extra off season races.
Sierra Ranger
9/16/2019 10:38pm
GuyB wrote:
I think Smartop MotoConcepts Racing is a good home for Malcolm. It was unfortunate that he got hurt as early as he did last season, and...
I think Smartop MotoConcepts Racing is a good home for Malcolm. It was unfortunate that he got hurt as early as he did last season, and we didn't get to see the best of what he could do.

I'm stoked to see him healed up from his injury last season, plus being fitter and stronger heading into '20 is a good bonus. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.
That femur injury was such a bummer. He was flying. I have huge hopes for the guy because he is one of the most refreshing personalities to ever set foot on a race track. He sure has changed a heckuva lot from the amateur days!

Post a reply to: No one predicted Webb last year

The Latest