No oil in bike after it has sat. Bad or good?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/30/2018 3:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2019 3:01 PM

Hello. I have a 2016 Kx250f that I bought fresh off the show room floor.. I have not ridden the bike for about a year and half now. It has been sitting it my warm basement the whole time. As I read on other forums I had drained the gas from the tank as I didn’t want the gas to gum up any seals etc.. I recently took a look at the oil checker below the brake pedal to see what it looked like.. it was empty.. is this bad or good ? I never drained the oil but it seems as though it has been sitting for so long that the oil has just settled.. is this bad? Will it hurt the motor?

|

12/30/2018 3:23 AM

It's unlikely the oil has vanished but drain the engine, flush it out, put a new oil filter and oil in. Monitor it but im thinking you will be good.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

12/30/2018 4:24 AM

Normal. Do as the guy above said.

|

KX125

12/30/2018 4:56 AM

Could you have drained the oil before storing it and forget?

|

12/30/2018 5:32 AM

Is it leaned over to the left side on a triangle stand lol

|

12/30/2018 5:50 AM

yz133rider wrote:

Is it leaned over to the left side on a triangle stand lol

No. It is on a regular stand . Perfectly even.

|

12/30/2018 5:51 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

Nope never drained the oil. Only the gas tank.

|

12/30/2018 5:55 AM

Lean it over to the right until the oil shows up in the glass. Im betting it takes maybe 5 degrees of lean and it shows in the glass. Oil doesnt vanish without leaving a mess.

|

12/30/2018 8:35 AM

For some reason the brand new KXFs never read right on oil until after they were ridden for me. Worked in a bike shop for years, whenever I would prep a new KXF, it would read super low on oil. I got paranoid enough to actually drain the oil, and the recommended amount came out, but it wouldn't show in the sight glass. Just change the oil and pour in the recommended amount.

|

12/30/2018 9:12 AM

If it had oil in it before, then the intternals of the motor have a light film of oil on them, so it should be fine. Pretyy sure thats how aircraft at the Boneyard are stored, they put oil in it, then drain it out, which leaves a light coat of oil on everything

|

12/30/2018 12:27 PM

The only explanation here is , that the last time you rode it , it was either really low ...OR , it just isn't reading right on the dipstick or in the window. Drain what's in it , pour in some new oil , ride it and then look for any leaks.

It was low when you parked it , otherwise your bike stand would be covered in it.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

12/30/2018 2:29 PM

Maybe get a turbo rebuild kit. Might just be blowin it right out he exhaust !

|

GP740
Since 1987

12/30/2018 4:18 PM

Actually if it sat that long with no oil in it, the motor is most likely toast.

I will send you a PM, I will take it off your hands and maybe, just maybe I can get it running again.

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

12/30/2018 5:13 PM

Is it possible it could have sumped? Probably really unlikely

|

12/30/2018 6:00 PM

My KX oil windows never show oil after sitting. If you're really concerned, just drain and refill like a normal oil change. The engine is fine, and letting it sit empty won't hurt anything.

|

12/30/2018 6:32 PM

KX oil windows are weird. The owner manual explains how to check it. You should be ok.

|

12/30/2018 9:12 PM

Heard from deep within that OPEC was going to raise gas prices but the Children's association got together and told the tooth fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Clause..ect every house they enter gather as much oil as possible.
Covertly drop off all oils collected to nearest oil refinery. This has to be true because gas prices are at a ten year low.

REF: https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-center/planes-trains-and-automobiles/average-gas-prices-through-history/

|

12/31/2018 7:53 AM

Doesn't it have to be running for the oil to circulate and show in the window?

|

12/31/2018 8:01 AM

Good. Very good

|

12/31/2018 10:12 AM

Much ty

|

Ed Johnson

12/31/2018 10:25 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

Thats the last thing you want to do...storing it dry, especially in hot n humid conditions. The condensation will cause corrosion.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

12/31/2018 10:54 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

Thats the last thing you want to do...storing it dry, especially in hot n humid conditions. The condensation will cause ...more

Never drained the oil, only the gas tank.

|

12/31/2018 10:59 AM

lumpy790 wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

Thats the last thing you want to do...storing it dry, especially in hot n humid conditions. The condensation will cause ...more

Doesn't really make a difference because the oil only sits in the lower 1/2" or so of the cases and doesn't cover anything important. Oil film clings onto the important surfaces and slowly thins out as oil drains back into the sump, regardless if you drained it or not.

|

12/31/2018 11:11 AM

kawasakininja250 wrote:

Never drained the oil, only the gas tank.

So put some gas in it and add some oil or change it all together and go ride it, non issue.

|

Ed Johnson

12/31/2018 11:35 AM

kawasakininja250 wrote:

Hello. I have a 2016 Kx250f that I bought fresh off the show room floor.. I have not ridden the bike for about a year and half ...more

This is totally normal. The oil settles into the cases. Start her up...run it for a minute and oil will show in the window.

|

I expect to have a very short posting career.

12/31/2018 6:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/31/2018 6:20 PM

The difference between it showing up in the oil-check window or not can be as little as 0.1 or 0.2 quarts. The bike may hold as much as 1.2 quart of oil (which is plenty fine for lubrication under normal conditions) so the fact that it does not show up in the window is not necessarily a big deal. It would be a big deal if there was no oil in the engine and thus the reason for the check window and peace of mind of seeing it. Oil evaporates so slowly that if its not on your garage floor and never noticed it over the last year and a half, you are fine. Do the oil change as people said.

|

12/31/2018 6:23 PM

Do people actually use the window for measurement? grin

|

James

12/31/2018 6:41 PM

SoCalMX70 wrote:

Do people actually use the window for measurement? grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin maybe.......
|

No brains, No headaches.

12/31/2018 7:36 PM

The correct amount of engine oil in both the KX250F and KX450F does NOT go half-way up the window. I hate that it doesn't, but unless you drain it and only get a few drops, you're fine. Change the oil and ride.

|

12/31/2018 8:15 PM

lumpy790 wrote:

Boomslang wrote:

You have no clue do you? you think when the oil is at its proper level its covering everything? Go start a thread about someone getting hurt and dont give out the name. Might make you look more intelligent then this comment .

|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!