No more motorcycles at Pikes Peak

LungButter
Edited Date/Time 8/13/2021 5:11am
Looks like the Lawyers musta won out on this one. I didn't really follow this much personally. Didn't Destry Abbott race it a couple times on a KX500 back in the day?

https://www.cyclenews.com/2021/08/article/motorcycles-officially-exclud…
|
PNWRider
8/12/2021 11:04am
The pussification of America continues…

News flash: MOTORSPORTS ARE DANGEROUS…
Forty
8/12/2021 11:36am
Damn.

I have only been to that once. Arlo Englund won on a yz465. It was awesome. Shit. Gotta be 40 years ago.
mx317
8/12/2021 11:39am
I rode up it on my XR650L. It was in June and was 75 degrees at the bottom, but was 30 degrees on top with snow!

The Shop

Skerby
8/12/2021 11:50am
Hasn't it been paved for a long time?
dkurtd
8/12/2021 11:57am
Skerby wrote:
Yes, once they paved it I believe it lost it's luster. Back when it was dirt most of the way and the open wheel dirt cars (I liked the midgets) and the bikes it was a pretty cool event. I remember when I was a kid going to the dog track in Springs and seeing all the cars and bikes on display.
xrmark
8/12/2021 12:47pm
Once they paved it it lost a lot of its glory. Seeing cars slide up that mountain was a thing of beauty
PNWRider
8/12/2021 1:15pm
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/30/carlin-dunne-dead-crash-pikes-pea…

The 2020 race was canceled after the four time champions crash. Looks like an era is over.
disbanded wrote:
That was truly a tragedy, but I certainly don't think they should cancel the bikes. We all know the risks.
Exactly. No one straps on a helmet, etc without knowing the risks. We should strive to make safety equipment better, but in my opinion trying to make racing itself “safe” is (a) impossible and (b) attempts to do so completely ruin the sport.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
826th
8/12/2021 1:44pm
This decision has nothing to do with safety equipment and everything to do with the pavement. When they paved the roads, speeds went up. I don't know what safety equipment you would suggest to help with flying off a damn mountain, as even guard rails aren't an effective solution for bikes. Cage a bike and strap in?

In comparison with nearly any other motorcycle racing event, Pike's Peak and Isle of Mann stand alone in the risk department. Isle of Mann seems to be intrinsically tied to the economy there, so no way it gets cancelled (yet), but to make them relatively (in comparison to other racing events) safe would be completely antithetical to the races in the first place. Of course motorsports are inherently dangerous, but Pike's Peak (and Isle of Mann) are on a completely different level.
8/12/2021 1:46pm
They paved Paradise and put up a parking lot.
PNWRider
8/12/2021 1:57pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2021 2:01pm
This decision has nothing to do with safety equipment and everything to do with the pavement. When they paved the roads, speeds went up. I don't...
This decision has nothing to do with safety equipment and everything to do with the pavement. When they paved the roads, speeds went up. I don't know what safety equipment you would suggest to help with flying off a damn mountain, as even guard rails aren't an effective solution for bikes. Cage a bike and strap in?

In comparison with nearly any other motorcycle racing event, Pike's Peak and Isle of Mann stand alone in the risk department. Isle of Mann seems to be intrinsically tied to the economy there, so no way it gets cancelled (yet), but to make them relatively (in comparison to other racing events) safe would be completely antithetical to the races in the first place. Of course motorsports are inherently dangerous, but Pike's Peak (and Isle of Mann) are on a completely different level.
Did anyone put a gun to anyone’s head to enter either event? Didn’t think so.

My safety related comments were directed as the BS efforts across motorsports disciplines to make racing “safe”…not Pikes specifically. I am fully aware of the elevated risk factor of Pikes and the Isle of Mann…and so are the entrants.
TooTallJason
Fantasy
826th
8/12/2021 2:39pm
This decision has nothing to do with safety equipment and everything to do with the pavement. When they paved the roads, speeds went up. I don't...

PNWRider wrote:
Did anyone put a gun to anyone’s head to enter either event? Didn’t think so. My safety related comments were directed as the BS efforts across...
Did anyone put a gun to anyone’s head to enter either event? Didn’t think so.

My safety related comments were directed as the BS efforts across motorsports disciplines to make racing “safe”…not Pikes specifically. I am fully aware of the elevated risk factor of Pikes and the Isle of Mann…and so are the entrants.
Of course the entrants know it's not safe. No one ever wants to think they'll be the one to dump it off the side of the mountain, but it happens. So now the promoters, insurance companies, lawyers and probably community have decided they don't want the hassle of dead motorcyclists. Too bad.

Note: I'm all for motorcycles running up Pike's Peak. However I also understand how the world works and I'm not going to cry because people have decided to quit picking bodies up off the mountain.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/12/2021 2:54pm
Carlin was a friend and one hell of a motorcycle rider. His OffRoad talent was every bit as exciting as his race to the top of Pikes Peak. He was a true hero type of guy and was always very humble and likable.
He knew what kind of risk he took when competing at Pikes Peak and thrived on the adrenaline rush. I truly believe that he would be crushed to know that they decided to stop the bikes from competing, following his deadly crash. There are many racers who love it as much as he did.
But I can also understand why they did cancel it, it’s a tough situation
wydopen
8/12/2021 3:08pm
langhammx wrote:
Carlin was a friend and one hell of a motorcycle rider. His OffRoad talent was every bit as exciting as his race to the top of...
Carlin was a friend and one hell of a motorcycle rider. His OffRoad talent was every bit as exciting as his race to the top of Pikes Peak. He was a true hero type of guy and was always very humble and likable.
He knew what kind of risk he took when competing at Pikes Peak and thrived on the adrenaline rush. I truly believe that he would be crushed to know that they decided to stop the bikes from competing, following his deadly crash. There are many racers who love it as much as he did.
But I can also understand why they did cancel it, it’s a tough situation
Yea Carlin was one of my best friends for years and he definitely knew the risks and I know he wouldn't want to see it canceled. He wanted me to go and help the first year when he won on his own bike..wish I took him up on it..guy was a badass on anything with 2wheels...look at a poster of him in my garage when I'm suffering doing cardio every morning at 430am
wydopen
8/12/2021 3:10pm
Skerby wrote:
There was still some dirt at the top until 2011 or 2012 I believe..
BobPA
8/12/2021 6:02pm
Motorsports are slowly being voted out, you reap what you sow....105 years of tradition, gone like that
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
8/12/2021 6:33pm

The other Irish road racers like the northwest 200 and the ulster gp are probably even worse , mass starts and faster average speeds
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/12/2021 10:00pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2021 10:08pm
wydopen wrote:
Yea Carlin was one of my best friends for years and he definitely knew the risks and I know he wouldn't want to see it canceled...
Yea Carlin was one of my best friends for years and he definitely knew the risks and I know he wouldn't want to see it canceled. He wanted me to go and help the first year when he won on his own bike..wish I took him up on it..guy was a badass on anything with 2wheels...look at a poster of him in my garage when I'm suffering doing cardio every morning at 430am
Well… you had one hell of a best friend.
I was lucky to get to know him. I took him on a great day of single track after some snow, up to the Piutes with a few buddies and he loved it. We had a solid group of older dudes, including Tom Webb, but we were nowhere his level of talent. He had a gift on that bike and you could see how much he loved riding.

We stopped on the way home to grab a bite to eat and it wasn’t until we were shooting the shit about the riding we had just done, when he revealed that it was his birthday. He had changed his birthday plans to come ride with us…. That was pretty damn cool and I was glad when he said it was one of the best days he’d had in quite awhile. Stoked I was able to ride behind him for some of the ride, he had a unique line choice in some of the stuff we rode.
So when the bill for our dinner came, I was quick to pick it up and wish him a happy birthday. He was pretty excited to ride the new pikes peak bike, I followed his progress every day, I just knew he was going to break the record, I just had that gut feeling…, Which he was so close to accomplishing. He showed us his custom made A-Stars suit that he’d just gotten for Pikes Peak and said how well they fit, as long as you don’t eat Mexican food every night and wash it down with a few beers. Lol

Ironically, I knew Kurt Caselli as well. Those two guys were much the same, in the way they treated other people, regardless of who they were. Along with them both having incredible talents on 2-wheels. They will always be legends to me !

Couple pics I took of his last off-road ride and A few of the ones he’d taken and air dropped to me- (that was the first time I’d even heard “air drop” and had no idea how to do it. Lol

langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/12/2021 10:05pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2021 10:05pm
I’m not sure what happened with the duplicate pics above, but when trying to fix it, I ended up deleting the best pic-

wydopen
8/13/2021 4:58am
langhammx wrote:
I’m not sure what happened with the duplicate pics above, but when trying to fix it, I ended up deleting the best pic- [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/08/12/505456/s1200_09A47796_F9C8_4671_9FDC_C0FC31F24B32.jpg[/img]
I’m not sure what happened with the duplicate pics above, but when trying to fix it, I ended up deleting the best pic-

Awesome, sounds like him....
I met Carlin in 2000 or so, through a mutual friend when we were seniors in high school..heard through other people about his road racing success as a kid since he would never tell you.

I went to college and had gotten into downhill mountain biking and when I was back for a summer in maybe 03 our mutual friend had wanted to get into it also. He bought himself a decent full suspension bike and wanted me to take him..well Carlin wanted to go also on his mid level giant hard tail with rim brakes and basically street tires.

The trails in Santa Barbara are super gnarly rocks and we went to ride one of the rockiest ones..I lead the way Keep in mind I’m riding an 8” travel bike with disk brakes And he’s on a 500$ hard tail..I get through the rockiest section and stop and look back up the trail that’s a series of switchbacks...Carlin’s absolutely destroying the rock sections, manualing, bunnyhopping, pumping over rocks and slashing the corners. I couldn’t believe it..turns out he used to be really good on a bmx bike too..he just never mentioned it..

At the time freeride mtb was getting huge and there were a few big videos out. I told him that I think if he could get a real bike he could make some $ at it..he didn’t have much else going on at the time so he said “sure, why not”
The local giant rep had heard about his skills and hooked him up with a real downhill bike. At the time there was a video contest where the winner was voted on at pinkbike.com and you got a pro contract and a bunch of prizes and cash..for his video submission he decided that we were going to travel to all the biggest jumps from the big videos that had came out and he was going to send them..so we basically drove from Moreno Valley where we randomly found the jump that was on the cover of the biggest video to Kelowna BC and made him an insane video where he went bigger than the top guys in the world at the time. Keep in mind he’d been riding mtb for like a month at the time..

Long story short he got second in the video contest to a mtb street rider (people hated on him cause he wasn’t Canadian) which turned out to be a blessing because he got a better contract and was in the biggest videos of the next few years..

The last couple years I had kids and stopped riding but he would always call me randomly to check in and tell me about the latest badass thing he had done. Just an all around awesome guy..super humble when he had every reason not to be. When I heard he went down I had no doubt he would be fine. Dude was like a super hero..and as talented as he was I think it was his mental toughness that got him all his success in different things. He would literally will himself a good result. He just wouldn’t take doing bad as an option.

Video

GTM
8/13/2021 5:11am
logskidder wrote:
Dude can ride!

Dude can ride!
If you ever get a chance to talk to Chris, ask him about 9:22 into the video, scared the shit out of himself, but pulled it off for the win!!.. Bummed for him he cant defend his wins anymore.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/13/2021 8:18am
langhammx wrote:
I’m not sure what happened with the duplicate pics above, but when trying to fix it, I ended up deleting the best pic- [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/08/12/505456/s1200_09A47796_F9C8_4671_9FDC_C0FC31F24B32.jpg[/img]

wydopen wrote:
Awesome, sounds like him.... I met Carlin in 2000 or so, through a mutual friend when we were seniors in high school..heard through other people about...
I met Carlin in 2000 or so, through a mutual friend when we were seniors in high school..heard through other people about his road racing success as a kid since he would never tell you.

I went to college and had gotten into downhill mountain biking and when I was back for a summer in maybe 03 our mutual friend had wanted to get into it also. He bought himself a decent full suspension bike and wanted me to take him..well Carlin wanted to go also on his mid level giant hard tail with rim brakes and basically street tires.

The trails in Santa Barbara are super gnarly rocks and we went to ride one of the rockiest ones..I lead the way Keep in mind I’m riding an 8” travel bike with disk brakes And he’s on a 500$ hard tail..I get through the rockiest section and stop and look back up the trail that’s a series of switchbacks...Carlin’s absolutely destroying the rock sections, manualing, bunnyhopping, pumping over rocks and slashing the corners. I couldn’t believe it..turns out he used to be really good on a bmx bike too..he just never mentioned it..

At the time freeride mtb was getting huge and there were a few big videos out. I told him that I think if he could get a real bike he could make some $ at it..he didn’t have much else going on at the time so he said “sure, why not”
The local giant rep had heard about his skills and hooked him up with a real downhill bike. At the time there was a video contest where the winner was voted on at pinkbike.com and you got a pro contract and a bunch of prizes and cash..for his video submission he decided that we were going to travel to all the biggest jumps from the big videos that had came out and he was going to send them..so we basically drove from Moreno Valley where we randomly found the jump that was on the cover of the biggest video to Kelowna BC and made him an insane video where he went bigger than the top guys in the world at the time. Keep in mind he’d been riding mtb for like a month at the time..

Long story short he got second in the video contest to a mtb street rider (people hated on him cause he wasn’t Canadian) which turned out to be a blessing because he got a better contract and was in the biggest videos of the next few years..

The last couple years I had kids and stopped riding but he would always call me randomly to check in and tell me about the latest badass thing he had done. Just an all around awesome guy..super humble when he had every reason not to be. When I heard he went down I had no doubt he would be fine. Dude was like a super hero..and as talented as he was I think it was his mental toughness that got him all his success in different things. He would literally will himself a good result. He just wouldn’t take doing bad as an option.

Video

Thanks for posting that, from my little time spent with him, he’s definitely one of the most humble dudes (that would normally have reason to be cocky) I’ve ever met.
So many of the same qualities of Kurt, so much respect for them both !
cse
Fantasy
2136th
8/13/2021 8:21am
wydopen wrote:
Awesome, sounds like him.... I met Carlin in 2000 or so, through a mutual friend when we were seniors in high school..heard through other people about...

Video

Awesome video.

Hate to see the motos gone from Pikes Peak.
Crash217
8/13/2021 8:49am
Sad to see the motorcycle races to come to an end there.

I've ridden up and down Pike's a few times (once I got stopped at the brake check point and screamed at by the ranger on duty for going too quickly and passing people) I wasn't pushing the bike (BMW RT1200) very hard, going slower than I would in the twisties in flatter areas and it was still a bit unnerving. The guys RACING up are truly wild.

Post a reply to: No more motorcycles at Pikes Peak

The Latest