No more MXGP at Redsands

Related:
Create New Tag

1/10/2019 2:49 AM

Bad news from what I can understand...

"Already in a definitive way, redsand will not welcome the 2019th and the future no proof of the motocross world championship.

Yesterday we confirmed what we feared most and is that the aid committed for the first edition 2018 will not be paid! This generates an irreparable hole in the finances of society.

I will not comment now the guilt that this has happened like this and because it is produced, this more than clear that it is more incompetence of the institutions, I feel personally very disappointed. For our part we are in full compliance with our obligations and commitments, but that today I realize that it does not matter to anyone and less to the political class.

It is very easy to say that it supports sport with a big mouth and then evaded responsibilities with complex conventions that are delivered 4 months after having performed the event with conditions that of course are difficult to adjust.

The damage to redsand is huge, even i am considering the closure of our facilities to the conclusion of this season, because, no longer the economic damage, but the moral and mind is very strong.

I thank everyone for your support during these last months, in which you have shown interest and transmitted encouragement to move forward, but now you know the situation.

We will not perform more races in redsand, nor of the valencian territorial, no one has acted well with us and they have dedicated themselves to passing the ball to each other shirking responsibility and of course the only ones who are injured are us and the fans. The others will forget it soon but they have forgotten it already and they will already think of their posts, their armchairs and their quota of power that is really the only thing that worries

Thank you"

|

www.90smotocross.com

Instagram - @90sMotocross
Facebook - 90s Motocross

1/10/2019 3:58 AM

Sounds like they are depending on government or community funding to drive commercial business?

|

1/10/2019 4:35 AM

That sucks!! Red sand is an awesome track. Man... just dont replace it with another china/thailand/indonesia shit track

|

1/10/2019 5:06 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2019 5:07 AM

How many one and done tracks on the mxgp schedule over the years?

|

1/10/2019 5:35 AM

aees wrote:

Sounds like they are depending on government or community funding to drive commercial business?

That's pretty common in Spain and continental Europe. It's also fairly common (unfortunately) for Spanish government to change it's mind depending which way the wind is currently blowing.

|

1/10/2019 5:54 AM

It does make you wonder if a legally binding contract was in place between Redasands and the Spanish government?
In which case could they got to the European court of law?
I doubt it, but it is a shame if a government makes a financialcommitment then backs out , especially after the event. angry sad

|

1/10/2019 6:35 AM

maybe the Government figured out only one person or group (YS) was benefiting from the aid?

|

1/10/2019 7:48 AM

Sideways wrote:

That sucks!! Red sand is an awesome track. Man... just dont replace it with another china/thailand/indonesia shit track

Redsands is a flat man-made track..... just like all the ones that get complained about when they aren't in Europe

The Semarang track was 10x better visually than Redsands was.... and it had more people attending

|

A Year In MX: One Man, One Year, One Sport
All 13 MX races on US soil
http://www.ayearinmx.com

1/10/2019 8:23 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/10/2019 8:24 AM

Semarang was a very good track.

Not sure if I can get to it this year, but I'm trying. So many things Demand my money, and, moreover, time, this year. I'd planned to go to the Hong Kong and China GPs ( first ones ever, in those countries, so complaining about them being crap 'before' is uniformed BS) with a bit of a 'conventional' holiday between them, to keep the GF onside. But, they've been now separated by months. Bummer.

|

1/10/2019 8:29 AM

Sucks that a situation has been created where a world championship round can’t wipe it’s own arse without government handouts. What sort of business model is that?

|

1/10/2019 8:33 AM

Robgvx wrote:

Sucks that a situation has been created where a world championship round can’t wipe it’s own arse without government handouts. What sort of business model is that?

One in which you operate without hundreds of achres of land with varying terrains with much less (relatively speaking) pressure from local groups and environmental groups. The reality in a lot of Western Europe is that without some level of government backing either in terms of planning or medical support etc etc it's very hard to run a top-class MX track permanently.

|

1/10/2019 11:55 AM

It's not uncommon for governments to fund sporting events; the Olympics, FIFA World Cup, and many American pro sports teams pay for their stadiums with tax dollars.

|

1/10/2019 2:25 PM

Man that sucks, not getting the financial aid that they were promised from Valencia or the government.

It's crazy if the shutdown because of this issue in the budget. It's such an amazing place to ride at. I really, really hope they keep it open for the coming years too.

|