No hand guards during mud races?

WVUpetro2013
Edited Date/Time 8/28/2020 4:07am
With all the talk about proper mud set up this and set up that, I am genuinely surprised how many riders elected to not run hand guards. I figured it would be a no brainer to keep mud off the grips and levers as much as possible. Am I missing a reason to not run them in the mud??
|
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
8/26/2020 10:59am
With all the talk about proper mud set up this and set up that, I am genuinely surprised how many riders elected to not run hand...
With all the talk about proper mud set up this and set up that, I am genuinely surprised how many riders elected to not run hand guards. I figured it would be a no brainer to keep mud off the grips and levers as much as possible. Am I missing a reason to not run them in the mud??
Well noted. We Always use handguards when it is wet or muddy. The cleaner and drier one can keep the grips, levers and gloves the better. A clean dry glove is handy when one is desperate and needs to give them goggle lense a wipe.
dedi684
8/26/2020 11:37am
I thought the same but i guess it can be a distraction or even malfunction in the case of a crash
Stuntman949
8/26/2020 1:28pm
Considering some guys have to get used to a different front fender, I wonder if hand guards would throw off these creatures of habit
8/26/2020 4:24pm
With all the talk about proper mud set up this and set up that, I am genuinely surprised how many riders elected to not run hand...
Hey! You just blew my mind. Now I'm thinking back to the past two weekends and I cant remember anyone running handguards. That's crazy

The Shop

OldPro277
8/26/2020 4:29pm
At our Cross country series we run when not doing Moto , AT LEAST 95% run the wrap-around full "bark buster" type. At my first X Country race a few years back, I went in as "Johnny BigNutz" moto guy and said" Pfffft, only pussies use those", and promptly broke 2 fingers after clipping a tree about 45 minutes in . This past Sundays course had a shit ton of single track where there was NO way you weren't whacking trees . So 3 years of 14 X-Country races per year with approx 150 guys at each event ,and I haven't heard of one guy that "destroyed" their wrist or arm in a crash due to the wraparounds. Don't get me wrong , I'm sure its possible, but I think its a very,very rare occurrence.

Obviously for Moto, different story.
Rickyisms
8/26/2020 5:40pm
Acerbis uniko 24/7. I like the vented ones, but if it’s wet just put duct tape on the vents.

I’ve always liked the MX handguards look, I grew up loving TP199 so I think that’s what started it.
Rickyisms
8/26/2020 6:17pm
When I ran full wraps I did like the ability to use the sides to “glide” off trees instead of wacking the end your grip and turning your bars. My AA friend taught me how to do use them to glide off trees and it helped a lot.
ccullins
8/26/2020 9:58pm
I can end this argument now about which hand guards are best, Duct Tape😂.

I built these out of “flag style” hand guards for my son at a mud race a few years ago. Worked darn good!👍

Rickyisms
8/26/2020 9:59pm
ccullins wrote:
I can end this argument now about which hand guards are best, Duct Tape😂. I built these out of “flag style” hand guards for my son...
I can end this argument now about which hand guards are best, Duct Tape😂.

I built these out of “flag style” hand guards for my son at a mud race a few years ago. Worked darn good!👍

Gotta love motodad ingenuity.
Bultaco
8/27/2020 4:20am
I noticed the lack of hand/grip protection at LL. It it were me......moto approved hand guards all the way.

Once, before a winter time hare scrambles that was forecast to be wet, I sewed a set of elephant ears, copying the style the Craig Vetter marketed for street bikes. They worked amazing. For two hours my hands were warm and dry. My grips and levers clean.

I use bark busters these days. My hands/ levers/ grips all last longer because of them. Even a 1" sapling that looks like it would bend like a ski gate, can upset ones plans.

If "not supposed to...." was the rule, I suppose we would not wear helmets, pads, or boots either?
8/27/2020 9:51am
Hand guards add 3 seconds a lap and affects your social media points negatively.

I’m only half joking.
Bearuno
8/27/2020 10:06am
I did find it strange the lack of hand guards being used at LL1 and LL2.

But, I can understand the riders not being familiar with them and them being off putting.

Because I have precisely the opposite thing - the couple of club MX events I did early this year, I had the bark busters off - as far as I know, they are banned for MX use here, so I set my bike up to the rules. But after so many years of BBs, with full plastic surrounds, it really threw me to Not have them on. So, a set of 'flags' were promptly found and fitted. Bummer is, in a simple topple over, I tore my first grip and bent my first front brake lever, in decades, I think. Blush

As a side note, I recently found in one of my book magazine rooms during a clean out, a set of the original Moto X Fox 'Elephant Ears - plus their first nylons and jerseys ( none of which have a hope in hell of fitting me), all inside their first gear bag. I worked at Competition Development in the 70s and early 80s, the first OZ distributors of Fox .
Tumic
8/27/2020 10:07am
The only thing that can be a disadvantage is adjusting your clutch perch if you have handguards there. But since most of the bikes run a hydro clutch now days i cant see why you would skip out on them.

And yes, utside US nobody runs barkbusters, they have a goon stamp here in europe and we all prefere to run flag types.

And the grips tend to start slipping easier even if you have them wired when you cut them in the outer ends and run barkbusters.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
8/27/2020 10:43am
Tumic wrote:
The only thing that can be a disadvantage is adjusting your clutch perch if you have handguards there. But since most of the bikes run a...
The only thing that can be a disadvantage is adjusting your clutch perch if you have handguards there. But since most of the bikes run a hydro clutch now days i cant see why you would skip out on them.

And yes, utside US nobody runs barkbusters, they have a goon stamp here in europe and we all prefere to run flag types.

And the grips tend to start slipping easier even if you have them wired when you cut them in the outer ends and run barkbusters.
What are the more durable flag style? I had an aftermarket set I cannot remember the name of that caused issues but the KTM ones work pretty well. Too bad they only fit KTM/Husky.
OldPro277
8/27/2020 10:57am
What someone needs to develop is a Heavy flag style that works similar to the ASV/ARC type of levers. Use a reinforcing piece of aluminum thru the plastic for strength and spring mechanism that will break away forward from your hand/wrist contacting it in the event of a crash . Unless someone already does and I'm not aware of it. Seems like that would satisfy both sides of the fence.
LungButter
8/27/2020 10:57am
wrc777 wrote:
What are the more durable flag style? I had an aftermarket set I cannot remember the name of that caused issues but the KTM ones work...
What are the more durable flag style? I had an aftermarket set I cannot remember the name of that caused issues but the KTM ones work pretty well. Too bad they only fit KTM/Husky.
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
8/27/2020 11:30am
Hand guards add 3 seconds a lap and affects your social media points negatively.

I’m only half joking.
Which half?
This is important to me.
downard254
8/28/2020 4:07am
Hand guards? We don’t need no stinking hand guards!

Post a reply to: No hand guards during mud races?

The Latest