No easy ride: Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast, panel agrees

malachi177
12/18/2017 4:39pm
My mind is melting....

Gen X born 1966-1976
Gen Y (millennials) born 1977-1994
Gen Z born 1995-2012

So my oldest isn't a millennial...via one source anywaysLaughing
vetmxr
12/18/2017 6:03pm
I would buy a new 450 in a second if I had a few tracks close by to ride it on. I'm one of the lucky ones that don't have to
worry about money. I don't personally feel that the new bikes are a value. They cost more than they're worth to me because for one I don't have a good selection of places to ride it unless I don't mind driving to oklahoma or Texas. Second.....I can easily find pristine examples of last years bikes for sale from guys that bought one....loaded it full of goodies so their friends are impressed, then crashed their brains out and scared themselves into selling a bike they just gave 9 + grand for around 5 or 6, that still have the tits on the tires and possibly the suspension done.....maybe less when they sit on it for a while and get tired of making large payments.

I may be an old guy that lives too much in the past.....but I can remember getting a call from my local Honda dealer and going down and picking up a 125 and a 250 out of a lineup of 15 to 20 brand new identical CR's all in a row and seeing them all go out the door in a week because they were all spoken for and sold. That was 1991 and we rode almost daily and raced somewhere every weekend. It ain't like that anymore.

I realize things change and all, but in my opinion Motocross is dying and the only answer I can see is to buy a KTM 300 xc and ride off road. Off Road to me still is popular and new bikes are everywhere, along with getting your monies worth on a day off to ride.

Plus I've pretty much just found Utah and that along with singletrack in Colorado should keep me riding and smiling all the way up to the end of me..Smile
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
12/18/2017 6:14pm
motogrady wrote:
I'll bite. There are 3 letters missing. AMA. They were created, almost a century ago, with the goal to promote and grow, heck some would say...
I'll bite.

There are 3 letters missing.

AMA.

They were created, almost a century ago, with the goal to promote and grow, heck some would say save, the industry back then.
What have they done lately?
Besides offer free towing.

Any ads on TV promoting the lifestyle?
How about radio.
Anyone catch an ad in USA Today on the sport of motorcycling?
I know I haven't.

Besides the magazine, which only existing members get, or the exposure that comes from the different
racing venues, which by the way pay The AMA, what the f@@@ are they doing to promote us to the general public?

Would it kill the budget, are things that tight in Ohio, to run even a few 15 second spots on a few mainstream
programs?

One wonders, is the guy running that organization, with his vision of cloning a 2 wheel AAA, the right guy for the job? Is that the way to secure motorcyclings future growth?

How many here salivate at the thought of free roadside assistance?
Or 15% off a motel bill?
Anyone?
Is that what got you into bikes?

Yes, they say, and probably do, fight for our rights in DC. And I'm not saying that isn't something to be ignored, or taken lightly.

But, that was not their Mission Statement in the beginning.

In ones opinion, they need to read their history, where they came from, and maybe get back to some of that.
They hold a great responsibility to the welfare, and well being of this industry.
Keeping it in the public eye, assuring interest, assuring growth, can and should not be left to the manufacturers and race promoters alone.

If the powers that be, at the very top of the AMA, don't see that, or maybe don't believe that, or don't want to do that, well, maybe it's time for a change, to someone that does.
Their 'free' towing didn't cover my F250 when I needed a tow. Which is what I use to haul my bikes. So maybe its just free motorcycle towing.

Fighting helmet laws has been a huge part of their past 'promotion' of motorcycling. I think it may have changed some in the past several years, they might have helped with the lead law ban on mini bikes, but that law should have been addressed before it ever passed. As our advocates they should be in tune with what's happening at the Federal and State levels as far as legislation affecting the motorcycle community beyond helmet laws.

If they didn't force amateur motocross riders to buy a membership to race, their member base would be minimal. I could be wrong but I don't see the Harley crowd buying as many AMA memberships as the mini parents out there trying to race Loretta's, Mammoth or whichever race requires AMA membership.

The Shop

12/18/2017 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2017 6:49pm
malachi177 wrote:
My mind is melting....

Gen X born 1966-1976
Gen Z born 1995-2012

The reason they are called 'Millennials' is they became adults post-millennium.

Someone who graduated high school in 2000 is pushing toward 40.
flarider
12/18/2017 6:55pm
The article is right.
Read it this morning.
We, the industry, need to appeal to the younger crowd, over and above the brave hearts who already ride, but to women and kids.

This is where our advertising needs to go

My wife said a dozen or so years ago, "why doesn't the industry cater to women more?" and wanted to make a female line of streetwear for women, problem is, it's such a small segment, and that alone should alarming

Being "dirt bike guys" it's easy to forget the entire market, of which dirt bikes is a small sliver, that there is a big wide world out there, outside of MX

It's easy to get tunnel vision, because it's your preferred segment, and I am guilty of it, but I have learned, it is a big wide world and if each of us turn on guy, gal or kid, on to MOTORCYCLING, the industry will benefit, and we all bear that responsibility
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
12/18/2017 7:13pm
7eleven wrote:
$140 a year for liability in CA. I do not let her out of my sight and she sleeps inside. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/18/232671/s1200_E3CD583C_32F0_4DDB_8299_60B44C0B1409.jpg[/img]
$140 a year for liability in CA. I do not let her out of my sight and she sleeps inside.

Acidreamer wrote:
Lucky. My liability in ohio is $55/month for an 02 gsxr 600 lmao
I pay $780 a year for full coverage, with extras on both my '17 KTM (insured for $10K in extras) and also my '08 Harley Davidson (insured for $20K in extras) and this is in California.
I am 52 and have a good driving record with no accidents or claims in last 10 years.
jeffro503
12/18/2017 7:31pm
line-up wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-motorcycle-summit-20171214-story.html A group of two dozen concerned motorcycle veterans has published a comprehensive research document that addresses the question, “Can this industry be saved?” Maybe, it...
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-motorcycle-summit-201712…

A group of two dozen concerned motorcycle veterans has published a comprehensive research document that addresses the question, “Can this industry be saved?”

Maybe, it concluded, but it’s not going to be easy.

Former Indian Motorcycle executive Robert Pandya formed the Give A Shift group this fall, hoping to find a consensus of opinion among his friends and colleagues.

He began with a written survey, which included 300 participants, and proceeded to a two-hour roundtable discussion in Long Beach, on Nov. 16, with 25 of the most ardent influencers.

Their comments, made anonymously for fear of offending employers and business associates, paint a dire picture.

Sales are flat or falling in almost every area.
Baby boomer buyers, the most consistent motorcycle consumers, are aging out of the industry fast.
The industry has failed to increase sales by making new riders out of women, minorities and millennials.
The old dealership model is broken and needs a makeover.
The arrival of autonomous vehicles may push motorcycles off the road entirely.
“The message is, ‘We are in trouble, and there is no silver bullet,’ ” Pandya said.

Robert Pandya, left, seen here discussing a new Indian product with actor and motorcyclist Mark Wahlberg, hopes his Give A Shift forum will invigorate riding enthusiasm and sales. (Manny Pandya / International Motorcycle Shows)
Among the key findings in the report, which can be read in its entirety here:

The motorcycle industry does not need better product, but its marketing and advertising methods are failing to attract new riders in part because they are too focused on selling bigger, faster, more expensive machines to veteran riders.

“There has never been a more compelling and interesting time in motorcycling,” the report said. “It’s clear … that the bigger issue is lack of general interest in riding.”

The industry also has failed to appreciate the importance of the female rider, losing sight of the concept that mothers who ride tend to produce children who ride. Instead, manufacturers focus too tightly on the more typical male consumer and, when it comes to women, rely on the careworn “shrink it and pink it” approach to apparel and gear manufacturing.

“There is clearly a path to attract female ridership that does not come from traditional motorcycle marketing and must be explored,” the report said. “The increase in female ridership will have a huge influence on young riders’ access to motorcycling.”

The panel faulted motorcycle dealerships for being outmoded and unimaginative, and for employing sales personnel primarily interested in selling top-of-the-line products to well-heeled buyers while ignoring the entry-level beginner.

“Dealers still often do not know how to sell to women, couples, families and non-traditional customers,” the report concluded. “Being enchanted by motorcycling can quickly be dulled by a poor, confusing or dismissive dealership experience.

Even more worrying, Pandya’s report said, is the approaching widespread adoption of autonomous vehicles, whose prevalence on public roads may leave no safe space for motorcycling.

“There is a very real risk of motorcycling being completely cut out of the conversation for future vehicle infrastructure systems,” the panel concluded. “The single biggest threat to motorcycling overall … will be the incompatibility between autonomous vehicles and existing motorcycles.”

Though the panel’s conclusions were bleak, its members did have ideas for slowing the erosion in sales and enthusiasm.

The paper called on the power sports industry collectively and riders individually to self-correct, self-police and work together to improve motorcycling’s image.

Manufacturers must “promote motorcycling as an activity for everyone,” “tell a compelling story about the benefits and joys of motorcycling” and “affect acceptance of the positive aspects of motorcycling.”

Riders, in turn, must be better ambassadors for the sport they love and better at sharing the message.

“If just 20% of existing riders were able to bring a new rider into the mix every year, the shift would be dramatic not only in sales but in camaraderie,” the report said. “Motorcycling can no longer be our secret.”

Blaine Schuttler, managing director of Husqvarna Motorcycles North America, said a major challenge is in simply identifying consumers and connecting with them.

“Our marketing activity plans are geared toward people who are currently in the sport, and toward trying to attract returners to the sport,” Schuttler said. “At the same time, everybody in the industry is trying to attract people who haven’t been exposed to motorcycles or have never ridden motorcycles before.”

Some companies, the report charged, have failed to produce enough motorcycles that are appropriately sized and priced for new riders, or have failed to make them sufficiently attractive.

But even those who have built splendid lineups of starter motorcycles, like Honda, are having trouble capturing the attention of potential riders whose free time and disposable income already are occupied by online gaming, streaming video content and other popular outdoor activities such as cycling, mountain biking, hiking or RV camping.

“There are so many options for that audience in terms of transportation and recreation,” said Lee Edmunds, national motorcycle advertising manager for American Honda. “I don’t see anything approaching what we need to do with that audience.”

The problem is made particularly acute, the report said, because many millennial consumers were “bubble-wrapped for safety in their youth” or raised by overprotective parents who discouraged risk-taking.

“Adventure is not at the top of the list,” said MotoQuest tour company founder Phil Freeman. “It’s more about comfort and security.”

Industry consultant and former Honda executive Chris Jonnum, who was not part of the panel but endorses many of its conclusions, observed that the thrill of motorcycling alone should make it an easy sell.

“What we have is cool and fun and genuine and appealing,” he said. “Everyone who does it knows how great it is, and how fun it is. What we’re trying to do here shouldn’t be impossible.”
Taking on this whole discussion in one reply would take more time then I wanna spend. BUT.....as to this line here >> The industry has failed to increase sales by making new riders out of women, minorities and millennials."......

As far as women go.....I saw more women riding mx last summer then I have ever seen in the past 35 years of riding. I don't know what it is , but the NW women's MX scene has blown up pretty well , and I think it's awesome. On another note , I have been seeing a stead incline in riders at the tracks around here too. Like the last 3 - 5 years , there just seems to be more. Which is great in my opinion.
Johnny Depp
12/18/2017 8:02pm
Opened the junk mail tonight. Academy has a Razor MX350 12" wheel e-mini for $199. On the same page is the "hoverboard" for $249, a Silverado for $249, Drones from $19, bicycles, basketball goals, golf clubs and more. There are plenty of activities competing these days.
12/18/2017 8:15pm
A couple good points above. The $900 cr125 in 1981. I towed my 1983 125 with a fairmont even though trucks were cheap. Today's truck prices are insane.

I too remember a row of cr125 to 500 at the dealer and all selling quickly. Of course more places to ride.

I ride the street now and do track days. 2013 Kawi 636 full coverage with 1000 deductible is $385 per year but I am 53 years old

The industry is struggling. When I was a kid we all had dirt bikes and there were trails and sand pits to keep us busy all day. You don't see a lot of kids riding 50s and 80s these days. Too many competing activities and again less places to ride. ADV bikes are the rage in some areas but I still see Africa twins on the showroom floor. Back in the day you could get an XL250 or DT and ride the street or the mild trails and have a blast for little money.

Just some rants.
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
12/18/2017 8:24pm
When I inquire about a certain KTM MX model for next year (2018 late fall release for 2019) in the Colorado market, people already on a wait list for it in 2017.

I could see this for road bikes, but I think the problem is all our friends that ride pavement are dying around us. Distracted drivers and more people on the roads are the problem in my opinion for road warriors.
user760a
12/18/2017 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2017 8:28pm
I think that anyone who doubts that there is much of a problem or does not see the problem at all is probably one of the lucky few people who happens to be surrounded by true enthusiasts.

I can really attest to the dispassionate indifference that young people in general have toward anything that requires much effort, preferring drinking, drugs, smartphones, mindless entertainment, etc instead. It is really pathetic.
12/19/2017 3:26am
Motodave15 wrote:
Millennial checking in here. (Im 29, 1988) This issue is Two Folds, My dad is a baby boomer so he got me into riding when i...
Millennial checking in here.
(Im 29, 1988)

This issue is Two Folds, My dad is a baby boomer so he got me into riding when i was 14 in 2004.
Rode a great deal from 14 till about 20. Had to start working and going to school and picked up the sport of hockey. (Mainly due to accessibility, i could go to work and still go play afterwards, almost every damn day)

The issue i see with me and my colleagues, Is that one new bikes are expensive especially when your job isn't even coming close to 50k a year. (even for people with degrees). The second issue has everything to do with getting to riding spots. its far and there is no way you can do anything else with your day, sitting in 1-1/2 hours of traffic going and 2 hrs of traffic heading back home... plus the fees and maintenance cost...and if it explodes your ass aint riding for awhile cost wise

There is hope on the horizon though... Electric bikes,

whoever in the motorcycle industry can make a mx or on-road electric bike thats fun as shit and cost sub 6k (probably impossible) and you would see a fucking explosion from the millennials....Combustion will always have a spot in the heart... but electric will allow old riding spots to come back... and you can sneak off and moto around your neighborhood as the only way to get caught would be for someone to literally watch you (and call the cops on your spot)... because with no sound you can literally do what ever.

I feel like motorcycles have a silver-bullet... but either the technology isn't where it should be battery wise.. or somebody is afraid to go all in.
I have already decided that I will be keeping my 2017 ktm450sxf until I can buy an electric bike that can compete with it, must be very similar in weight and have an hours battery life but I am dead keen to see it happen. And it will happen, hopefully sooner rather than later. When it does they will fly out the door.
WCRider
Fantasy
2301st
12/19/2017 4:36am
malachi177 wrote:
My mind is melting....

Gen X born 1966-1976
Gen Z born 1995-2012

Why gen Z ? Son's of Zion ? Laughing

This is not the motorcycle industry is in deep trouble, this is the entire world.
oceantrav
12/19/2017 4:49am
AJ565 wrote:
For what its worth on the on-road side of things I sold my '12 GSXR1000 when I moved to Texas because full coverage went from $45/mo...
For what its worth on the on-road side of things I sold my '12 GSXR1000 when I moved to Texas because full coverage went from $45/mo in Ohio to $383/mo here in San Antonio and that was the cheapest I could find. Progressive wanted $537/mo. My bike payment was only $140/mo. So I can see why the market would be down with insurance the way it is for full coverage, which you have to have when financing a bike.
When I was 16/17 got a ton of tickets and lost my license for a couple months. Insurance was crazy for my Camaro, something like 300$ a month (2002ish).

That was enough to talk my dad into letting me get a zx6r. Was only kid in high school with a bike. Best part was no insurance was required on it (Florida).
downard254
12/19/2017 4:51am
I think I may have a solution to the falling sales issue. Now bear with me, as this is an investment in the future, not a quick fix.

Orchestrate a national Woodstock weekend, provide free alcohol and drugs, plan a plethora of good bands, and initiate a national power grid blackout all at the same time. In 10-15 years there should be a whole new crop of eager buyers for motorcycles.

Just trying to think outside the box boys.Blink

On a serious note, I think you need to get to interviewing spectators of the sport who don't ride and others who don't aren't considered riding "enthusiasts" of all disciplines of motorcycles and find out what they like, don't like, reasons for not currently owning a bike are. Of course, maybe the industry has already done that.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
12/19/2017 5:03am
jeffro503 wrote:
Taking on this whole discussion in one reply would take more time then I wanna spend. BUT.....as to this line here >> [b]The industry has failed...
Taking on this whole discussion in one reply would take more time then I wanna spend. BUT.....as to this line here >> The industry has failed to increase sales by making new riders out of women, minorities and millennials."......

As far as women go.....I saw more women riding mx last summer then I have ever seen in the past 35 years of riding. I don't know what it is , but the NW women's MX scene has blown up pretty well , and I think it's awesome. On another note , I have been seeing a stead incline in riders at the tracks around here too. Like the last 3 - 5 years , there just seems to be more. Which is great in my opinion.
Same here. Last year at a local sand track a van showed up and parked beside us. 3 ladies in their 20's hoped out and unloaded 3 bikes. I thought I was dreaming. But it was so cool to see. They raced off road, XC, etc.. One girl rode at least a 30+ moto, came in for gas, went back out.

I have never seen that in all my years at the track.
endurox
12/19/2017 11:12am
Interested in some opinions and if could put approximate age in response.
Does it make a difference going into a big multi brand shop versus stopping by a mom and pop shop?
Does it matter if you can go back and talk to the mechanic who is working on your bike?
Does a dealership with a large apparel inventory matter or do you shop mail order?
thanks

Rdubs19
12/19/2017 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 12/19/2017 12:56pm
Insurance is expensive as hell even for cheap street bikes unless you can combine it with a home policy or something. Most young people in the market for a cheap motorcycle, or young people in general don't have a house policy in the first place.
I really don't know if a lot of people want motorcycles that don't already have one, but the cost is extremely prohibitive if someone does. Loan payment plus insurance is going to be a couple hundred per month, plus several hundred more up front for gear. For motocross in particular you have a LOT to buy if you're starting from scratch.
For young people not making much, historically high housing costs especially for renters, and possibly student loans and car payments, there's just not motorcycle money left over for most people. I know everybody likes to shit on young people, and none of this really applies to me because I have a high income, but I'm 27 and I know what the situation is for most people in my age group.
Rdubs19
12/19/2017 12:50pm
user760a wrote:
I think that anyone who doubts that there is much of a problem or does not see the problem at all is probably one of the...
I think that anyone who doubts that there is much of a problem or does not see the problem at all is probably one of the lucky few people who happens to be surrounded by true enthusiasts.

I can really attest to the dispassionate indifference that young people in general have toward anything that requires much effort, preferring drinking, drugs, smartphones, mindless entertainment, etc instead. It is really pathetic.
I second your second paragraph.
LOVEMYCR500
12/19/2017 1:06pm
I think most MX motorcycle racing is like watching paint dry. AMA, Bring back the 2 stroke!

okay I said it.

12/19/2017 1:11pm
Talking about expensive, the annual mx race licence fee in Australia is $325.
12/19/2017 1:13pm
I think most MX motorcycle racing is like watching paint dry. AMA, Bring back the 2 stroke!

okay I said it.

My missus hates motocross, she said those exact words 'like watching paint dry". She loves flat track racing though...
12/19/2017 1:40pm
7eleven wrote:
$140 a year for liability in CA. I do not let her out of my sight and she sleeps inside. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2017/12/18/232671/s1200_E3CD583C_32F0_4DDB_8299_60B44C0B1409.jpg[/img]
$140 a year for liability in CA. I do not let her out of my sight and she sleeps inside.

Unfortunetly when financing, which most 90% of riders have to do when purcasing new. You must carry full coverage insurance.
12/19/2017 1:53pm
endurox wrote:
Interested in some opinions and if could put approximate age in response. Does it make a difference going into a big multi brand shop versus stopping...
Does it make a difference going into a big multi brand shop versus stopping by a mom and pop shop?
Does it matter if you can go back and talk to the mechanic who is working on your bike?
Does a dealership with a large apparel inventory matter or do you shop mail order?
thanks

Yes, I have always bought at the Mom and Pop shop. first bike my parents bought me was 1974 MR50 at a Honda dealer/hardware store.

My first bike I bought was 1983 CR125 and the mechanic came out of the back and answered any questions I had about the bike. In fact he still works there as parts manager and races MX still.

As long as they can get me what I want reasonably quickly and at a competitive price that works for me.
Motodave15
12/19/2017 1:59pm
endurox wrote:
Interested in some opinions and if could put approximate age in response. Does it make a difference going into a big multi brand shop versus stopping...
thanks

Yes, I have always bought at the Mom and Pop shop. first bike my parents bought me was 1974 MR50 at a Honda dealer/hardware store. My...
Yes, I have always bought at the Mom and Pop shop. first bike my parents bought me was 1974 MR50 at a Honda dealer/hardware store.

My first bike I bought was 1983 CR125 and the mechanic came out of the back and answered any questions I had about the bike. In fact he still works there as parts manager and races MX still.

As long as they can get me what I want reasonably quickly and at a competitive price that works for me.
1. I'd love to go to mom and pops stores, however they're more expensive more than 50% of the time

2. This yes, i need to be able to talk to the mechanic, and have a beer with him

3. Large dealerships suck tho, only large dealership worth a damn is chapparral... berts gear selection blows and they always say " We can order that for you" vs it being on my porch when i get home from work. So i'd rather shop online.

4. Brick and mortor stores have it rough, because of competing cost's and you cant carry everyones taste. (which is more specific, as the internet becomes more prolific)
Broughton859
12/19/2017 2:01pm
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is having to have a garage or a place to keep the bikes. I live in Philadelphia and It's not only more expensive to find a house for rent with a garage but almost impossible to find in the first place since most of the affordable old houses didn't have garages to begin with. There's no way I would live in this city and not keep my bikes inside. Then add on the insurance, riding / racing fees, payments, maintenance etc. and your talking a huge commitment. It's a lot easier to not worry about all that stuff and spend your money at bars or on mountain bike or something else

Post a reply to: No easy ride: Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast, panel agrees

The Latest