No drama again at the Ironman National

ZI72
8/21/2019 7:53am
Says they should implement a playoff like Nascar did.
Then says he stopped going to nascar because its boring.

Wut?
8/21/2019 9:02am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2019 9:03am
To me the fundamental problem is that the championship would no longer be about who was the most successful rider over the course of the year. It would just be about who was best at the last few races. The championship becomes a tool to create excitement for the fair-weather crowd rather than a reward of excellence in achievement over a full year. This comes to the root question: What is the purpose of a championship? Is it just a marketing tool to try and get a few more viewers/attendees? Or is it a reward for having the best results for the whole year?

I don't really want to get into a discussion about playoffs in other sports. Frankly I don't care what those leagues do because I don't care about football, baseball, basketball, etc. Racing is the only sport I love.

mauidex
8/21/2019 9:07am
playoffs for Moto moto would be stupid.............too short series at 12 races..........now for SX?!??!?!

but what Indy car did and I think its pretty interesting and definitely makes the last round have relevance is DOUBLE POINTS!!!

that could be cool and add something without f'n up the series?!??!?!?!
nealb129
8/21/2019 9:46am
It’s the same thing every year. “My favorite rider didn’t win the championship, so the format needs to change”

The Shop

Indy mxer
8/21/2019 9:56am
ZI72 wrote:
Says they should implement a playoff like Nascar did.
Then says he stopped going to nascar because its boring.

Wut?
There's nothing they can do with Indy. The racing will never be good there. Square corners don't work for stock cars.
It's a track issue. Everybody knows it.
Indy mxer
8/21/2019 9:59am
Indy mxer wrote:
Re-read what I said. WW deserves support, it's his first year and the racing is awesome. The Ironman has got it from me every year until...
Re-read what I said. WW deserves support, it's his first year and the racing is awesome.
The Ironman has got it from me every year until last year. I basically said he deserves for his race to be relevant

Instead of all of you focusing on my 2 tickets not being bought, which won't mean shit,
why not be proactive and try to figure out why more people aren't going?
That was the point of my original post.
You can all put your heads in the sand and bag on me all you want. I can take it.
But there's a bigger picture here.

Every other major sport and form of racing has some sort of playoff. Except IndyCar....for now.
The point is to build the season to peak at the very end.
Now, I'm not saying a playoff is the only option.

My whole point was to start a discussion on how they can make the last race of the year more relevant, which it has not been.
If you're ok with that that's fine too, I hope you're going and supporting the race. But it doesn't work for me anymore.

We can agree to disagree.
DC wrote:
We will miss you at the Indy MX, Indy mxer.... Can we maybe get your username back and give it to someone else?

DC
Racer X
Boom!
Indy Mx? But that is pretty funny.

Indy mxer
8/21/2019 10:00am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2019 10:03am
nealb129 wrote:
It’s the same thing every year. “My favorite rider didn’t win the championship, so the format needs to change”
Uh wrong. Big ET and AC fan here. Sorry.
8/21/2019 10:34am
God, I hope we never get a playoff format. The playoffs aren't the only reason I stopped watching NASCAR, but it's definitely a big part of it. I was OK with it when they reset the points with ten races to go, but that shit they have now where it comes down to who is the best in the final race is just ridiculous, in my opinion. Yeah, it makes the last race more exciting, but I'm still of the opinion that the champion should be the guy who is the best over the course of the season. I really hope this sport never goes that route.
ktmfun219
Fantasy
554th
8/21/2019 10:53am
Me and family will be there leaving Friday morning. We will be driving 7.5 hours one way and proud to do this.
Been to 12 plus GNCC's and MX events there. Wont miss it. Actually looking forward to the reduced temps from GA.

See you all there for a great final race moto friends.
DPR250R
8/24/2019 5:55pm
I mean... I thought the racing was good.

Proper way to close out an amazing US season. Hope Marv is OK and that this continues for 2020.

... and for those of you going... see you in Assen.
APLMAN99
8/24/2019 6:08pm
Indy mxer wrote:
I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even...
I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even though I get access to a couple VIP tents, it's just not worth it to me.

Imo, mx needs some sort of a playoff.
Go ahead and flame me but the numbers speak for themselves. Attendance has been going down for the Ironman. The owner is a great guy and deserves better than having a snoozer because there's nothing at stake.
Almost every year the titles are pretty much settled by the time they get to the last couple rounds.

Lets be honest, barring something really weird AC is going to win the 250's. And last year did anyone really think ET was going to lose the points lead?
Yeah I know, there have been a couple exceptions, but they have been few and far between.
I love pro mx, but I feel it needs to evolve just like any other sport to improve the product.
People want excitement and drama. Hell even golf has a playoff!
I think that this is a perfect example of the beauty of democracy.....

motogrady
8/24/2019 6:11pm
Wanna tighten it up?
How about every rider gets a drop?
8/24/2019 6:12pm
Here's an idea. You have a set amount of races, and at each race, award points based on finishing positions. At the end of the season, add all the points up and the person with with the most points wins the title.
APLMAN99
8/24/2019 6:14pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Re-read what I said. WW deserves support, it's his first year and the racing is awesome. The Ironman has got it from me every year until...
Re-read what I said. WW deserves support, it's his first year and the racing is awesome.
The Ironman has got it from me every year until last year. I basically said he deserves for his race to be relevant

Instead of all of you focusing on my 2 tickets not being bought, which won't mean shit,
why not be proactive and try to figure out why more people aren't going?
That was the point of my original post.
You can all put your heads in the sand and bag on me all you want. I can take it.
But there's a bigger picture here.

Every other major sport and form of racing has some sort of playoff. Except IndyCar....for now.
The point is to build the season to peak at the very end.
Now, I'm not saying a playoff is the only option.

My whole point was to start a discussion on how they can make the last race of the year more relevant, which it has not been.
If you're ok with that that's fine too, I hope you're going and supporting the race. But it doesn't work for me anymore.

We can agree to disagree.
DC wrote:
We will miss you at the Indy MX, Indy mxer.... Can we maybe get your username back and give it to someone else?

DC
Racer X
Boom!

Post a reply to: No drama again at the Ironman National

The Latest