No drama again at the Ironman National

Related:
Create New Tag

8/18/2019 4:29 PM

I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even though I get access to a couple VIP tents, it's just not worth it to me.

Imo, mx needs some sort of a playoff.
Go ahead and flame me but the numbers speak for themselves. Attendance has been going down for the Ironman. The owner is a great guy and deserves better than having a snoozer because there's nothing at stake.
Almost every year the titles are pretty much settled by the time they get to the last couple rounds.

Lets be honest, barring something really weird AC is going to win the 250's. And last year did anyone really think ET was going to lose the points lead?
Yeah I know, there have been a couple exceptions, but they have been few and far between.
I love pro mx, but I feel it needs to evolve just like any other sport to improve the product.
People want excitement and drama. Hell even golf has a playoff!

|

8/18/2019 4:33 PM

The points battle between Hetrick and Wienen is going down to the wire!

Go ahead and let the dislikes rain down.

|

8/18/2019 4:34 PM

The playoff idea is bullshit.

These guy's are worth paying to watch period. Fake drama is WWF or WWE, I'm not interested in it.

|

8/18/2019 4:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 5:07 PM

I guess you missed the last couple years where Tomac didn’t clinch until the final round? Or the first year when Musquin looked to have it in hand until a mechanical dashed his dreams of the championship?

You sound like the kind of fan who needs artificially created “drama” to stay interested in a sport. I suggest reality television, that seems more up your alley

|

8/18/2019 4:38 PM

Or perhaps they just mix up the race order some. Put iron man in the middle of season maybe. At least make it somewhat relevant. No need for playoff tho. Format is fine as is. Can’t get mad at dudes for dominating.

|

8/18/2019 4:38 PM

You need to be put in a home

|

8/18/2019 4:44 PM

It would cease to be a legitimate championship.

|

8/18/2019 4:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 4:50 PM

Indy mxer wrote:

I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even though I get access to a couple VIP tents, it's just not worth it to me.

Imo, mx needs some sort of a playoff.
Go ahead and flame me but the numbers speak for themselves. Attendance has been going down for the Ironman. The owner is a great guy and deserves better than having a snoozer because there's nothing at stake.
Almost every year the titles are pretty much settled by the time they get to the last couple rounds.

Lets be honest, barring something really weird AC is going to win the 250's. And last year did anyone really think ET was going to lose the points lead?
Yeah I know, there have been a couple exceptions, but they have been few and far between.
I love pro mx, but I feel it needs to evolve just like any other sport to improve the product.
People want excitement and drama. Hell even golf has a playoff!

I agree. Even the SX title was managed until the end. No excitement, no drama, no elevated nerves..... just guys who needed to not fuck it up.

Now don’t get me wrong. THEY EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE CONSERVATIVE.

It just isn’t as captivating as something like NASCAR or the the NFL. Imagine the Super Bowl champ running up the W/L at the beginning of the year - Then doing iso’s and traps for the last 3 games to coast it home for the c’ship.

|

Washed up moto and enduro weekend warrior.

8/18/2019 4:50 PM

time to hand in your motocross fan card.

|

8/18/2019 4:52 PM

Seeing it in person the smells the sounds all that matters. Stay home and help your wife pick out blinds while you turn in your man card.

|

8/18/2019 4:58 PM

You complain that the owner deserves more but then state you are not even going? Perhaps you’re part of the reason. If I lived 90 minutes from any national I’d be there every weekend just to see some racing.

|

8/18/2019 5:05 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 5:06 PM

At Ironman, you get to see the champions be awarded their championship plaques, usually the only round that gets to say that. This year, Eli secured his a round early but the 250 rider will still get their little awarding ceremony at Ironman.

I go to the races to see the bikes and riders in person, not for drama. You only get to see so much at a time in person, it's just fun to see them up close and in person and catch the replay if you want to see how the race panned out in detail.

|

8/18/2019 5:13 PM

I’ll be making the 3hr drive there. Can’t wait for some moto!

|

2011 Yamaha YZ 250 -MX
1996 Yamaha Banshee 350 -Trails
1982 Chevy S10
2005 Pontiac GTO -451rwhp

8/18/2019 5:13 PM

Am I reading something wrong or are racerx pit passes really $100 for Ironman? Last year I am almost positive they were $50, also Redbud was $50.

|

8/18/2019 5:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 5:15 PM

Are we talking about motocross or TV shows from 2009? Racing is about racing. The points arent even relevant to me when I go to sx and an outdoor every year. I realize how substantial it is just to get 15th and how TV makes it feel as if anything beyond 2nd place is moot....

Just qualifying for a main means a lot to any viewer seeing any pro race in person. If you ride and like motocross you get it. If you just need a reason to complain...well

|

8/18/2019 5:15 PM

Tim Gajser could fix the no hype thing

|

8/18/2019 5:16 PM

ever think that the drama doesn't has to be strictly with the points leaders??? how about drama in the form of guys with nothing to lose going for a win. look at the 250 class from this past weekend..

schools about to start - maybe try hanging out under the bleachers at a high school football game... find out who's texting who's ex... sounds way more up your alley than breathing in the smell of race gas from a 40 man gate drop of the fastest motocross riders on US soil..

wait... were you ever on the show Survivor??



|

8/18/2019 5:21 PM

Tomac should have been made to start backwards the last 3 rounds. It’s not fair that he’s 50 points ahead of everyone else.

|

8/18/2019 5:28 PM

Reward mediocrity sounds amazing. Those guys that don't decide to show up until the 3rd or 4th race deserve a shot at the title too. Participation trophies for everyone!

|

8/18/2019 5:31 PM

Even with a possible torn acl & supposed to be non weight bearing on my right leg, I plan to be there. Nothing is keeping me home

|

8/18/2019 5:37 PM

I drove 3.5 hrs each way on 1.5hrs of sleep to be at budds. 90 minutes to possibly aee AC finally win his first title and the emotion and value with that!?. Bet ur candy ass id be there.

|

8/18/2019 5:38 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 5:38 PM

Eat a bag of dicks OP

|

8/18/2019 5:39 PM

Brittneyb30 wrote:

Even with a possible torn acl & supposed to be non weight bearing on my right leg, I plan to be there. Nothing is keeping me home

I’m at 6 weeks post op for ACL replacement and Meniscus repair... before the surgery I hobbled around Europe for 8 weeks, including MXGP of Germany. You’ll be alright lol.

Best of luck on your recovery. Sold my bike so it wouldn’t just sit around and now I’m itching to find something to tinker on in the garage..

|

8/18/2019 5:44 PM

yz133rider wrote:

I drove 3.5 hrs each way on 1.5hrs of sleep to be at budds. 90 minutes to possibly aee AC finally win his first title and the emotion and value with that!?. Bet ur candy ass id be there.

X2. 6+ hours to get to Budds. It was hot as fuck and muggy and I loved every minute of it

|

8/18/2019 9:17 PM

MxKing809 wrote:

I agree. Even the SX title was managed until the end. No excitement, no drama, no elevated nerves..... just guys who needed to not fuck it up.

Now don’t get me wrong. THEY EARNED THE RIGHT TO BE CONSERVATIVE.

It just isn’t as captivating as something like NASCAR or the the NFL. Imagine the Super Bowl champ running up the W/L at the beginning of the year - Then doing iso’s and traps for the last 3 games to coast it home for the c’ship.

You mean the guy that won the most 450 SX races last year and won the championship just managed the championship?

|

8/18/2019 10:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/18/2019 10:11 PM

ajk423 wrote:

Am I reading something wrong or are racerx pit passes really $100 for Ironman? Last year I am almost positive they were $50, also Redbud was $50.

i've been 5yrs in a row, it's always right around $100. base tickets at all nationals are normally around $40, maybe you are remembering the all day pit option (all racer x tickets are) as being $50 more than base ticket? i'd be surprised if red bud was $50, shoot just the morning pit passes are normally $20-30

|

8/18/2019 10:14 PM

Indy mxer wrote:

I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even though I get access to a couple VIP tents, it's just not worth it to me.

Imo, mx needs some sort of a playoff.
Go ahead and flame me but the numbers speak for themselves. Attendance has been going down for the Ironman. The owner is a great guy and deserves better than having a snoozer because there's nothing at stake.
Almost every year the titles are pretty much settled by the time they get to the last couple rounds.

Lets be honest, barring something really weird AC is going to win the 250's. And last year did anyone really think ET was going to lose the points lead?
Yeah I know, there have been a couple exceptions, but they have been few and far between.
I love pro mx, but I feel it needs to evolve just like any other sport to improve the product.
People want excitement and drama. Hell even golf has a playoff!

"I live about 90 minutes from the track and for the 2nd year in a row I'm skipping it, along with a few moto buddies. Even though I get access to a couple VIP tents, it's just not worth it to me. "


if/when ironman ever fails to have a national, and your then nearest event is a days drive away, shed no tears will i...

|

8/18/2019 11:23 PM


|

8/18/2019 11:33 PM

38special wrote:

The points battle between Hetrick and Wienen is going down to the wire!

Go ahead and let the dislikes rain down.

You done did it now

|

8/18/2019 11:37 PM

I would drive 90 minutes to watch a local amateur race. So what if the title is wrapped I bet there is so great racing somewhere on the track that's worth the price of admission.

|