No MXoN for Kawasaki

Freddie
Edited Date/Time 8/11/2019 9:19pm
Looks like Kawi just sent out a release stating that they have decided as a team to not attend the MXoN with any of its riders. Can't say that I blame them, the event is awesome and the country pride is fun to be a part of but none of it pays the bills. I wonder if the European promoter will ever consider helping cover costs to get the US teams involved? I am sure more teams will follow suit in the future. Or since we are more of a Supercross oriented sport now a days is it even a relevant event? What about a Supercross of Nations??
|
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/8/2019 10:23am
So just this year or forever? Sad that they wouldn't want to support their athletes doing what they pay them to do (race).
hamncheeze
8/8/2019 10:23am
I've said this in other threads, but IMO Kawasaki is just laying down and taking the bullets here for ET and AC. Tomac after the Red Bud debacle wants nothing to do with MXoN, plus he really needs to nail down a SX title as his window is closing. AC is moving up to the big bike, and I'm sure he's much more wanting to get time on it and get ready for A1. Despite what both riders have said about wanting to MXoN if asked, I think neither wants to go and Kawasaki and Stjernstrom have decided they will take the heat instead of the riders, hence this PR.
aeffertz
8/8/2019 10:25am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2019 10:27am
They are speaking with their wallet, so as much as it pains me to not send our best guys... if you want change that you think you deserve, you need to take the necessary steps. Why would Youthstream do anything different if no one ever pressed them.

Many people say “They need to help the US somehow” and until they do, Kawi is basically saying “Fuck you”. Someone is getting rich off these events and it’s none of the people paying to attend.
TeamGreen
8/8/2019 10:26am
An open question looking for honest consideration and open-minded discusion:

The Promoter(s) of MXON makes money. Looks like tickets and parking ain't cheap...not at all.

Who else makes money at this event?

Is it unreasonable for a race team/team sponsors/riders to decide that the cost and risk isn't worth it?

The Shop

yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/8/2019 10:26am
hamncheeze wrote:
I've said this in other threads, but IMO Kawasaki is just laying down and taking the bullets here for ET and AC. Tomac after the Red...
I've said this in other threads, but IMO Kawasaki is just laying down and taking the bullets here for ET and AC. Tomac after the Red Bud debacle wants nothing to do with MXoN, plus he really needs to nail down a SX title as his window is closing. AC is moving up to the big bike, and I'm sure he's much more wanting to get time on it and get ready for A1. Despite what both riders have said about wanting to MXoN if asked, I think neither wants to go and Kawasaki and Stjernstrom have decided they will take the heat instead of the riders, hence this PR.
Maybe the race really does matter if the riders are afraid to tell the fans the truth that they don't want to race it??
8/8/2019 10:27am
Freddie wrote:
Looks like Kawi just sent out a release stating that they have decided as a team to not attend the MXoN with any of its riders...
Looks like Kawi just sent out a release stating that they have decided as a team to not attend the MXoN with any of its riders. Can't say that I blame them, the event is awesome and the country pride is fun to be a part of but none of it pays the bills. I wonder if the European promoter will ever consider helping cover costs to get the US teams involved? I am sure more teams will follow suit in the future. Or since we are more of a Supercross oriented sport now a days is it even a relevant event? What about a Supercross of Nations??
Just because the US pro series races both SX and Outdoors does not mean the entire sport is more SX oriented. This is nothing more than an excuse for why the euros are handing us our asses
ATKpilot99
8/8/2019 10:29am
TeamGreen wrote:
An open question looking for honest consideration and open-minded discusion: The Promoter(s) of MXON makes money. Looks like tickets and parking ain't cheap...not at all. Who...

The Promoter(s) of MXON makes money. Looks like tickets and parking ain't cheap...not at all.

Is it unreasonable for a race team/team sponsors/riders to decide that the cost and risk isn't worth it?
Funny how this was never an issue during our win streaks.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/8/2019 10:30am
TeamGreen wrote:
An open question looking for honest consideration and open-minded discusion: The Promoter(s) of MXON makes money. Looks like tickets and parking ain't cheap...not at all. Who...

You have a point, this event should be a non-profit event. Promoter shouldn't loose money on it (if weather is terrible and no turn out), but should just be able to recoup expenses, anything after that should be given to the riders (and track hosting shouldn't have to pay a fee to host it). Don't know if that is a purse breakdown by finishing position or who travels furthest (so one year one team might be paid more than another year depending on event location). I know this will never happen as we know this promoter will never show his books, but would think this would be the most logical solution.
Freddie
8/8/2019 10:33am
I agree the riders no longer want to race the event, there is nothing in it for them but the national pride, which yes is important to some, but in the big picture it just doesn't fit anymore into the riders schedules who race Supercross. I also agree the team is helping make the decision for the riders but I don't blame them. It is a 100% expense for the team and riders I would have to assume. Until the European promoters decide to compensate the US teams who bear the majority of the cost to travel over and abide by the Euro racing rules (which also costs the US teams money and puts them at a significant disadvantage to start) why would a US team even consider it? The exposure isn't as big as it seems.
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
8/8/2019 10:34am
TeamGreen wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:
Why does the same guy get to make money off of this each year? Why can't a different association promote it different years based on a lottery system of country chosen to host it? How great would that be, on the podium the winning team selects a country name out of bucket for who will host the next event and then the 2nd place team gets to select the promoter. Maybe it needs to be for the MXoN in 2 years not the next to give time for logistics but that would be pretty cool.
Freddie
8/8/2019 10:36am Edited Date/Time 8/8/2019 10:37am
TeamGreen wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:
I am sure the costs were an issue but back then Supercross wasn't as big as it is now and also the sport and riders weren't as committed to their schedules like they are now. Plus I think the cost of racing has gone up, as we all know from the amateur level, and bike sales are way down so the budgets are tighter. The industry is basically flat from the 2008 crash. That being said if the industry isn't generating as much money as they were during the streak and it's more important to the teams to commit to winning a series Championship than a one off race it's hard to blame a manufacturer for not wanting to incur that expense.
yz133rider
8/8/2019 10:39am
Freddie wrote:
Looks like Kawi just sent out a release stating that they have decided as a team to not attend the MXoN with any of its riders...
Just because the US pro series races both SX and Outdoors [b]does not[/b] mean the entire sport is more SX oriented. This is nothing more than...
Just because the US pro series races both SX and Outdoors does not mean the entire sport is more SX oriented. This is nothing more than an excuse for why the euros are handing us our asses
Well considering that SX is 17 rounds plus the contractual pre requisite monster cup and outdoors is 12 rounds...id say 17 (18) is greater than 12. And therefore more sx oriented.
TeamGreen
8/8/2019 10:41am
TeamGreen wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:
A different time and an entirely different situation between sponsors and OEMs when compared to "back in the day". A VERY different time & time-line.

Now you've got SX for the 1st 5+ months of the year and then MX thru the summer. That's 29 races in 2 different disciplines for the 1st 8 months of the year...for our guys, that is.

During that period there is plenty of testing...including "next year's" SX and/or new model testing that sometimes starts BEFORE the "MX" season is over...

And...here in the states...the MEC is more important to US marketing than the MXON is. Sad; but, true.

For the athletes: it does allow for them to go straight into and -stay- focused on SX testing and set-ups...

All the while...you've got guys like JA21 and Whacko-ZachO that've made it VERY CLEAR...
THEY WANT TO GO!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/8/2019 10:42am
No Motocross of Nations for Kawasaki Race Team in 2019

Foothill Ranch, Calif. (August 8, 2019) – Recently the AMA made preliminary contact with several teams regarding availability of riders for the 2019 Motocross of Nations (MXoN). Based on the team’s off-season plans, Kawasaki race team has informed the AMA that the team and riders will not be considered for the event later this year.

Kawasaki riders Eli Tomac and Adam Cianciarulo separately expressed interest in attending MXoN this year. After discussing the details of the team’s off-season plans with each rider, both were in agreement with the team’s decision. The team will consider MXoN invitations for its team riders in the future.

Kawasaki will continue its pursuit of success in the 450MX and 250MX 2019 AMA Pro Motocross Championships with Tomac and Cianciarulo each carrying the points lead and red plates in their respective classes into the Unadilla National in New Berlin, New York on Saturday, August 10th.

“Being chosen to represent the USA is always an honor,” said Tomac. “I am a patriotic guy so attending Motocross of Nations is something I always look forward to and embrace the challenge of the unique race. However, after speaking with the team I understand and support their reasoning for not attending this year’s event. Winning Motocross of Nations is something that is still on my checklist, but my priority right now is winning a Monster Energy Supercross title.”

“It would be an incredible and humbling honor to be chosen to represent Team USA," said Cianciarulo. “For me, it has always been something I have watched and wanted to be chosen for, but I understand the team’s decision and I know I have a lot of work and new challenges ahead of me by moving up to the 450 class.”
kb228
8/8/2019 10:43am
Tomac won a million last year and is expected to do it again. No time to spend on mxdn.

AC needs the 5 weeks to get used to the 450 to race sx in MEC. No time to spend on mxdn.

Kawasaki doesnt want to foot the bill for 2 riders. They dont do MotoGP due to cost either.

Many issues with mxdn now days and people are fed up w it
Freddie
8/8/2019 10:44am
Freddie wrote:
Just because the US pro series races both SX and Outdoors [b]does not[/b] mean the entire sport is more SX oriented. This is nothing more than...
yz133rider wrote:
Well considering that SX is 17 rounds plus the contractual pre requisite monster cup and outdoors is 12 rounds...id say 17 (18) is greater than 12...
Well considering that SX is 17 rounds plus the contractual pre requisite monster cup and outdoors is 12 rounds...id say 17 (18) is greater than 12. And therefore more sx oriented.
Plus the euro and australia SX rounds where the top guys make big money to come and race. maybe if the european promoter paid the top riders (and teams) to show up they would reconsider.
8/8/2019 10:46am
yz133rider wrote:
Well considering that SX is 17 rounds plus the contractual pre requisite monster cup and outdoors is 12 rounds...id say 17 (18) is greater than 12...
This is nothing new.. when was the last time there were more rounds of the Nationals then rounds of SX? So - what's changed that suddenly justifies the topic at hand??
8/8/2019 10:49am
kb228 wrote:
Tomac won a million last year and is expected to do it again. No time to spend on mxdn. AC needs the 5 weeks to get...
Tomac won a million last year and is expected to do it again. No time to spend on mxdn.

AC needs the 5 weeks to get used to the 450 to race sx in MEC. No time to spend on mxdn.

Kawasaki doesnt want to foot the bill for 2 riders. They dont do MotoGP due to cost either.

Many issues with mxdn now days and people are fed up w it
Someone better start a thread- "Kawasaki Decline"
500guy
8/8/2019 10:50am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
This statement is not really true, back when the whole Comp park fiasco happened RC and many others were wavering on this race.

Kandel went on his Voo-doo doll campaign and many other's too resurected Team USA, the underlying issue is cost and timing of the event together with it's importance to them compared to SX and MX.

it's a great money grab by Youthstream everyone else bears the cost both financially and physically.
Ranman68
hamncheeze wrote:
I've said this in other threads, but IMO Kawasaki is just laying down and taking the bullets here for ET and AC. Tomac after the Red...
Tomac and AC both have both stated (with a certain amount of enthusiam) that they would race the mxon if selected for the team. So you're saying that you know otherwise, that they are both straight up liars who were selected, and that Kawasaki simply helped them weasel their way out of doing what they said they'd do.
I don't agree with you one iota, and that's a shitty accusation to make with no proof. Since it involves negativity regarding Tomac and America, I knew there'd be a thumbs up from soy boy Richard Loots, and of course there was.
You should take Tomac and AC at their word unless you have a valid reason to not take them at their word.
peltier626
I hope the Austrian manufacture steps in and fronts a team. JA/CW/ZO. I hope they gain more customers also. Thanks Kawi for your lack of support.
8/8/2019 10:53am
If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense.. Its also a lot easier to spend money when you're winning
ATKpilot99
8/8/2019 10:56am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
500guy wrote:
This statement is not really true, back when the whole Comp park fiasco happened RC and many others were wavering on this race. Kandel went on...
This statement is not really true, back when the whole Comp park fiasco happened RC and many others were wavering on this race.

Kandel went on his Voo-doo doll campaign and many other's too resurected Team USA, the underlying issue is cost and timing of the event together with it's importance to them compared to SX and MX.

it's a great money grab by Youthstream everyone else bears the cost both financially and physically.
That may be but it just sounds like sour grapes to me . I bet this wouldn't have happened if we were on a win streak instead of a losing streak
500guy
8/8/2019 10:57am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
That may be but it just sounds like sour grapes to me . I bet this wouldn't have happened if we were on a win streak...
That may be but it just sounds like sour grapes to me . I bet this wouldn't have happened if we were on a win streak instead of a losing streak
maybe a little of both, but I think we can agree the situation has been festering for a long time.
aeffertz
8/8/2019 10:59am
500guy wrote:
This statement is not really true, back when the whole Comp park fiasco happened RC and many others were wavering on this race. Kandel went on...

It’s kind of gross how Youthstream has monetized patriotism. They put these companies in a tough spot... “Pay me thousands of dollars and work hundreds of hours for free otherwise everyone will blindly hate you.”

This thread alone speaks volumes on that. I don’t blame them anymore.
ATKpilot99
8/8/2019 11:05am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
That may be but it just sounds like sour grapes to me . I bet this wouldn't have happened if we were on a win streak...
500guy wrote:
maybe a little of both, but I think we can agree the situation has been festering for a long time.
Yeah. I am glad we're still sending a team though .

Post a reply to: No MXoN for Kawasaki

The Latest