No Glen Helen

Ddavis
3/24/2010 10:41pm
I'm not a big fan of Hangtown, Glen Helen seems like one of the most dangerous tracks on the circuit. Freestone is a test of the riders endurance with its hot weather. High Point is one of the most scenic tracks on the circuit and i like it. Budds Creek is a great track, alot of great memories from that race. I'm not a huge fan of thunder valley, it does qualify for some good racing though, so keep it. Red Bud is my favorite race of the year, that track is incredible; Id love to ride there. Millville is also one of my favorites. Washougal is the most scenic, and has some of the best fans; I love it there! Unadilla should lose the new SX'y obstacles and stay old school. Southwick should never be taken off the schedule, i love seeing locals do good there! Steel City is a great track as well and always has good racing.

All the tracks have their own prestige in them, they should keep it how it is.
FIREfish148
3/24/2010 10:52pm
Why dont they bring back Troy, Ohio, or gatorback. Maybe a track in Oregon?
drmarkr
3/24/2010 10:56pm
Damn, I go riding tonight and look what happens!!

In before 5.....headed for 15, I'm guessing.
zjbell
3/24/2010 10:57pm
Ddavis wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Hangtown, Glen Helen seems like one of the most dangerous tracks on the circuit. Freestone is a test of the...
I'm not a big fan of Hangtown, Glen Helen seems like one of the most dangerous tracks on the circuit. Freestone is a test of the riders endurance with its hot weather. High Point is one of the most scenic tracks on the circuit and i like it. Budds Creek is a great track, alot of great memories from that race. I'm not a huge fan of thunder valley, it does qualify for some good racing though, so keep it. Red Bud is my favorite race of the year, that track is incredible; Id love to ride there. Millville is also one of my favorites. Washougal is the most scenic, and has some of the best fans; I love it there! Unadilla should lose the new SX'y obstacles and stay old school. Southwick should never be taken off the schedule, i love seeing locals do good there! Steel City is a great track as well and always has good racing.

so when's ur deal getting done?

The Shop

Ddavis
3/24/2010 11:24pm
my what, zjbell?

oh btw i got surgery on my wrist this morning but who cares
GHR
3/24/2010 11:45pm
DC is legit, if there was a problem here it wasnt on his side IMO. Sometimes leaders make tough choices and thats why they are where they are. Without knowing all the facts its crazy to throw him under the bus here. I do love GH and I spoke with alot of riders that dread that track for so many reasons too. I would hate to launch a 120 ft triple step up after 30 min of slamming curbs and square edges with jello arms. Then take into account how little $$ the guy that got 40th place makes and you start to wonder why you are there risking life and limb. Oh yea and anyone remember the Monster Scaffolding that almost took those dudes in practice head off? haha that place is amazing to watch but also a very scary track too that has hurt alot of great riders physically.
OW38B
Fantasy
203rd
3/25/2010 12:10am
Brtp4 wrote:
There is nobody in this industry that is as passionate, connected, clear-headed, and capable of stewarding outdoor MX than DC. Nobody. He and his family have...
There is nobody in this industry that is as passionate, connected, clear-headed, and capable of stewarding outdoor MX than DC. Nobody. He and his family have literally, in the most pure definition, dedicated their lives to this sport and this industry. It may not be immediately clear, and some people may not like it, but if MX Sports is doing something, it is for good reason, and there is no need for a lynch mob.

GuyB, what has this place become?

BP
Does not seem to be the situation in this case, to alienate a National track 60 days before the event does not make ones self shine in a positive light.

Glen Helen is a "home" National to all 4 Japanese OEM's and 75% of the mx industry, for MXSports to get in a pissing match with Glen Helen because they would not "toe the line" the way they wanted is short sighted and is a "black eye" for AMA Pro motocross.

DC comes off as a stand up guy.....that is why it is perplexing and he comes off looking bad in this.

AMA goobers have sure screwed things up the last few years.
BobbyM
3/25/2010 12:28am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:38pm
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
Remember the Prequel ? Here's a plan... Offer a huge purse at the 4-Stroke, National. Prior to the first MX National, 90% of the riders will...
Remember the Prequel ?

Here's a plan... Offer a huge purse at the 4-Stroke, National. Prior to the first MX National, 90% of the riders will show.
The venue might even make money. No fencing to buy, no stupid, costly AMA/MX Sports requirements...

But like I said last year... I didn't think it would happen this year.
and leave the dumpster refuse right off the side of the track so somebody...anybody can get killed.

the norcal boys did/do a helluva job at hangtown with upgrades and semi parking and such, GH has been the same for 10 years no? the damn willcall is on a fucking slanted dirthill for christ sakes...discombobulates my fucking leg every time...lol

http://bobbymx.com/OLD/Langston_cutting_track.wm

aggiemoto99
3/25/2010 1:16am
I think a lot of fans like GH.....

Probably not the riders....

But what's more important??

Of course that would only apply to fans who follow the sport, not the "one we need to attract on NBC"

Motocross, in general, is hurting. The writing has been on the wall for a while now...and no one seems to do anything sensible about it.
I hated nascar with a passion until about a year ago...

Now, I love it. They do everything better, and not just by a little bit either. It's no wonder they bring in billions a year in revenue and marketing dollars etc.
I mean that from the top down, from TV coverage, camera quality, on car camera's...pit crew and radio conversations...better pit reporting...etc..

And it's not just on one end. Teams realize the importance of good tv...so they answer the questions mid race with energy, and enthusiasm. Nascar promotes rivalries...and allows drivers to speak their minds without repercussion...

And they actually have purse money....

I think it's a perfect time for a new national series to emerge done "right" at the "right" tracks with different promotion. It's not a far stretch to happen...

But...we all know it (and it's a damn shame) that SX is taking over. So if your a 50 dad hoping your kid goes big time, screw the local mx tracks...just start on sx from the get go and never look back.

FlaNard
3/25/2010 1:37am
Glen Helen was always one of the funnest tracks to watch. I looked forward to it every year. This news sucks.
pitbike502
3/25/2010 1:45am
maybe it is just time for a change. who really cares? we lost broome tioga in NY and got over it.

it really is time the south east got a national, how can it be the "national series" if it doesnt touch every part of the nation?
alphado
3/25/2010 3:08am
What a shame. Although I have never been there I rate Glen Helen as a keystone to the series, the same goes for High Point.

I do like what they have done to the Nationals. Years ago we would have to leave in the middle of the second moto at High Point and Steel City to try and get out of the track. We would still usually be in line for an hour or so to get out. Now with the low attendence, we can watch everything, hop in the car and drive right out.
MCfan4life
3/25/2010 3:32am
WOW is all I can say.

Although it seems disappointing at first to be losing GH, I'm sure it will open the doors for another track to prove its worth.

I must admit I was disappointed when they dropped Kenworthy's as it always produced good TV viewing for me. But we seem to have moved on from there and havn't looked back.

I don't know any facts about wht has happened between the 2 parties involved but I will say I have the utmost faith in DC and his lifelong dedication to this sport...
mx836
3/25/2010 3:45am
I've never even been to Glen Helen and I still think this is bullshit!! Whistling
mx836
3/25/2010 4:43am
You forgot a question mark there pdub.
RACERX69
3/25/2010 4:51am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:38pm
Ddavis wrote:
I'm not a big fan of Hangtown, Glen Helen seems like one of the most dangerous tracks on the circuit. Freestone is a test of the...

I live close to Freestone, relativlely speaking. I attended for the first time last year and will not go back. It's a horrible track for spectating. Not to mention, it's mind numbingly boring due to it's topographic features. Tony Miller did the best he could with what he had, but let me tell you, IT AIN'T no Glen Helen.

As for GH being dangerous...are you F-ing kidding me??? This is MX!!!!! How about SX? Do you not think SX is dangerous?

As I said, not having GH on the sched is like not having Anaheim on the SX sched.

SL91
3/25/2010 5:35am
Sounds like MXA vs. RacerX to me
flarider
3/25/2010 5:49am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:38pm
Two sides to every story, right?

It's not really any secret that GH has had their way of doing things and being non-conformist to the rest of the series, you can see it going race to race, and this has been ongoing, it's not some new thing.

If you're going to build something and try to grow it, uniformity is a big part of that. Look at all other motorsports, tracks may be different, but the amenities and peripherals surrounding it are uniform.

Pay attention to what Matthes is saying, he speaks truth.

Before you throw anyone under the bus, like DC, wait for at least more information to come out. Seems to me, MX Sports had every belief and intention of GH being a part of the series as they are on the schedule and in all the advertising, so it's not like they got frozen out and ignored.

They just obviously couldn't come to terms, that happens in business and is a part of doing business.

This isn't 1973, where we put stakes in the ground across some cow pasture, string ribbon between them and hold a national, it's a business today, with TV packages, big money sponsors and big money teams.

spd721
3/25/2010 5:49am
I think it would be great to see motocross somewhere other than SoCal. They get spoiled when it come to our sport( everything else too but that's for another thread). They can 4 supercrosses along when some areas of the country get none! I would love to see a national in southeast or one closer to St. Louis (the closest one for me is Red Bud which is an 8 hour drive).
PFO186
3/25/2010 6:01am
bring back binghamton!

they have everything to have a national on short notice as it was only a couple years ago they used to hold them. just get them to mix sand in the dirt instead of wood chips and maybe the riders won't hate it so much...

plus i wouldn't mind being able to see two nationals in one season again!
3/25/2010 6:02am
mxjef wrote:
Yes, DC is trying to do whats best for MX, as long as it's good for (his) business.
bobby397 wrote:
his business? i think he could care a less about money, just making the riders happy. the nationals were almost dead untill last year, i saw...
his business? i think he could care a less about money, just making the riders happy. the nationals were almost dead untill last year, i saw more tv coverage and better racing. just because the national has moved doesnt mean you should forget the good things DC is doing for the sport.
Anyone who is a business man and doesn't care about money isn't going to be in business too long. TV coverage is by far the biggest improvement in MX. Living in NY here's one thing I can say about tv coverage. You can have an emply Yankee Stadium during game day and still turn a profit. With that said there are some things MX is going in the wrong direction. There is no thought in how to lay out track banners that allow fan access to unobstructed views of the racing action while also giving the sponsors the exposure they want for their money.
Crush
3/25/2010 6:09am
racerxonline

Glen Helen will not host an AMA Motocross this year, reports MXA... 28 minutes ago via TweetDeck
neysbo
3/25/2010 6:11am
Man, that is a bummer. I had always wanted to watch a race in person at GH. On TV is looks so bad ass. A true MX track with the hills and all. Sounds like they got in a pissing match and lost though.

Maybe GH and a few other prime tracks around the country can put some kind of series together. I can see that happening.
Ddavis
3/25/2010 7:57am
Yes, motocross is dangerous.

but, some of GH's obstacles are jumps you can DIE on.
dirthead1
3/25/2010 9:19am
I am really really bummed Glen Helen is off. It is, I mean was, the best spectating event in motocross I've experienced in my 40 years.
G Force
3/25/2010 10:18am
Been there for 2 World Vet races, and 3 Nationals. Great place to enjoy racing!

I understand why the Pros don't like it, very rough and conditioning is key. But this is MX, not Road Racing.
Slow ~ Pro
3/26/2010 12:21am
One thing I'd like to add, is that Glen Helen is rough. One of the roughest on the circuit. And it would have been rougher if not for DC, and his smooth track ideas.

But some of us are old enough to remember when there was never any earth moving equipment, near a race track. You simply put up markers, flags, and raced until the race was run.

God damn right it's rough, it's fucking, Motocross. If it's to rough for you, go race cars !
GIwasB4
3/26/2010 3:25am
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
One thing I'd like to add, is that Glen Helen is rough. One of the roughest on the circuit. And it would have been rougher if...
One thing I'd like to add, is that Glen Helen is rough. One of the roughest on the circuit. And it would have been rougher if not for DC, and his smooth track ideas.

But some of us are old enough to remember when there was never any earth moving equipment, near a race track. You simply put up markers, flags, and raced until the race was run.

God damn right it's rough, it's fucking, Motocross. If it's to rough for you, go race cars !
As our children ride to the races in mega dollar fun movers and motor coaches and the mini Dad's bitch to the promoter if the track is too dusty or too wet. I'm with you, but we're better off in the Old school section now.
flarider
3/26/2010 5:53am
Slow ~ Pro wrote:
One thing I'd like to add, is that Glen Helen is rough. One of the roughest on the circuit. And it would have been rougher if...

But let's keep it in perspective, back when "there was never any earth moving equipment, near a race track. You simply put up markers, flags, and raced until the race was run," riders weren't on 60 HP tractors and ditch digging motocross bikes going anywhere near the speed of today's racers.

That's like comparing F1 of the 1970's to the F1 of today

Post a reply to: No Glen Helen

The Latest