No Factory KTM450 for 2011?

Mstock
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 3:03pm
Stefan Everts stated that KTM will not have any 450 factory riders for 2011. So KTM will have the ex holeshot champ (MA) and the soon to be ex holeshot champ (AS) both on 350's for the Nationals? Why?
|
JJO741
Fantasy
3035th
11/14/2010 12:45pm
Marketing my friend.
mxb2
11/14/2010 1:02pm
Mstock wrote:
Stefan Everts stated that KTM will not have any 450 factory riders for 2011. So KTM will have the ex holeshot champ (MA) and the soon...
Stefan Everts stated that KTM will not have any 450 factory riders for 2011. So KTM will have the ex holeshot champ (MA) and the soon to be ex holeshot champ (AS) both on 350's for the Nationals? Why?
They gotta sell all those 350 s they made LOL!, Both good bikes IMO!
Phillips467
11/14/2010 1:03pm
I thought he was talking about Europe? Now that Max Nagl as elected to ride the 350 in GP's next year?

The Shop

mx757
11/14/2010 1:44pm
I figue that short will be on the 450 at least outdoors.
RaceFace
11/14/2010 1:48pm
I thought he was talking about Europe? Now that Max Nagl as elected to ride the 350 in GP's next year?
Nagl "elected" or was told? The rub with the GPs is we don't know what they are riding as far as displacement. In AMA they have to use the standard cylinder dimensions(any room for boring that 350?) and stroke. Seems to me they are unwilling to admit that this was not the revolution they had imagined. They'll throw new talent at it this year (Short) and he will also struggle trying to race at a professional level on the slowest bike (by far) on the gate. Is there anyone that still believes Alessi just forgot how to start? I guess we'll see if Short is way behind off the gate too. Funny how Alessi remembered how to start again at Glen Helen, huh? Interesting.
DanDunes818
11/14/2010 1:49pm
The interview I saw Stefan said no works/factory 450's in the states or in the GP's..Tye Simmons, Cairoli, Nagl, Short, Alessi, and even David Knight (factory ktm enduro) are all contracted to race the 350.

I love how the KTM reps say it's up to the riders but then guys like Short mysteriously pick the 350 without even riding the 450 first.

This is pure speculation by me but I wouldn't doubt that Short makes more $$$ from KTM if he chose the 350.
RandyS
11/14/2010 3:43pm
What's to stop them from running between a 350 and 450 depending on the track. Nobody will know even if they're torn down as long as they're under the 450 limit.
mccread
11/14/2010 3:58pm
The interview I saw Stefan said no works/factory 450's in the states or in the GP's..Tye Simmons, Cairoli, Nagl, Short, Alessi, and even David Knight (factory...
The interview I saw Stefan said no works/factory 450's in the states or in the GP's..Tye Simmons, Cairoli, Nagl, Short, Alessi, and even David Knight (factory ktm enduro) are all contracted to race the 350.

I love how the KTM reps say it's up to the riders but then guys like Short mysteriously pick the 350 without even riding the 450 first.

This is pure speculation by me but I wouldn't doubt that Short makes more $$$ from KTM if he chose the 350.
go to mxlarge.com and read the test on both 450 and 350 GP bikes... then you will see why Nagl choose the 350.

I believe Everts was talking about the GPs not AMA.
mccread
11/14/2010 4:05pm
MXlarge: What about the other riders in the team, how are they all doing?

Everts: I haven’t spoken to Tony, but I will go to Bercy and see him and Marvin there. I know that Antonio is doing a lot of the European Supercross races. As for Max he is doing a lot of testing with the 350 and he has decided to race the 350 next year. He is happy and pumped to race the 350. He is back from holidays now and he will work on his physical condition around the middle of November and as far as Jeffrey he is doing really well with his shoulder. He has been going with Jan Sporer in Lommel three times a week for more than a month now and hopefully he will start riding at the end of November again. Jeremy had this operation on his thumb and that is going well. He will be ready to start riding at the end of November.

MXlarge: So nobody will be racing the 450cc for KTM? Is that good for the promotion of the 450?

Everts: Not from us, not from the factory team. At the moment the 350 is everything but the 450 won’t die for sure not. The production line continues for the 450 for Enduro and Paris Dakar, but the 350 is such a big success now and we will continue with two riders on the 350. Maybe in 2012 we will look at the 450 again.

Sounds like he is talking about the GP team... The 350 won the world title it is no surpirse Max wants the ride the bike.

DanDunes818
11/14/2010 4:30pm
The interview I saw Stefan said no works/factory 450's in the states or in the GP's..Tye Simmons, Cairoli, Nagl, Short, Alessi, and even David Knight (factory...

mccread wrote:
go to mxlarge.com and read the test on both 450 and 350 GP bikes... then you will see why Nagl choose the 350. I believe Everts...
go to mxlarge.com and read the test on both 450 and 350 GP bikes... then you will see why Nagl choose the 350.

I believe Everts was talking about the GPs not AMA.
The only big bore riders for 2011 in the ama that get factory support are Alessi, Short , (factory ktm)and Tye Simmoms (JDR motorex) and all three of then are reported to be racing the 350 so that's what leads me to believe he means GP's and AMA.
RaceFace
11/14/2010 6:31pm
RandyS wrote:
What's to stop them from running between a 350 and 450 depending on the track. Nobody will know even if they're torn down as long as...
What's to stop them from running between a 350 and 450 depending on the track. Nobody will know even if they're torn down as long as they're under the 450 limit.
If they do get torn down, it will be known what is being ridden, in the AMA. The cylinders on the 350 and 450 are different. How would it look if KTM is trying to "fool" us by saying it is a 350 but it gets out that it was a 450 when torn down? It would be a marketing disaster if they were trying to push this 350 and then the public found out they were racing a 450 and claiming it to be the 350.

I would love to know if the 350 in the GPs is 350cc. Is there a tear down in the GPs? Since they are works bikes, does it matter to anyone if it is 350cc or 420cc? The AMA has to retain the stock stroke, but can change bore. In the GPs there are no restrictions on bore or stroke. Hmmm?
Adam43
11/14/2010 6:36pm
What a retarded strategy.

KTM's 450 is finally up to par with the Japanese, and instead of trying to market that they continue with this 350 experiment. The 350 is a good bike but you will never convince me that an AMA National track (and rider) is not a better fit for a 450.
Faceaz
11/14/2010 7:17pm
RaceFace wrote:
Nagl "elected" or was told? The rub with the GPs is we don't know what they are riding as far as displacement. In AMA they have...
Nagl "elected" or was told? The rub with the GPs is we don't know what they are riding as far as displacement. In AMA they have to use the standard cylinder dimensions(any room for boring that 350?) and stroke. Seems to me they are unwilling to admit that this was not the revolution they had imagined. They'll throw new talent at it this year (Short) and he will also struggle trying to race at a professional level on the slowest bike (by far) on the gate. Is there anyone that still believes Alessi just forgot how to start? I guess we'll see if Short is way behind off the gate too. Funny how Alessi remembered how to start again at Glen Helen, huh? Interesting.
I'm betting it's every bit as popular as they imagined & has done more for their company than any new model. Can't count how many times I've heard "the Big Four are stagnant, while KTM is continuing to invest in the sport" That bike has been a big part of KTM's breakthrough in popularity.

I doubt KTM is expecting a "Revolution". In fact it may play better to them if there isn't one. They've become a success by being a niche manfacturer. They have more offroad models than any of the Big 4, having something for everyone has really helped them. There is a real market for the 350 & they have 100% of the sales. What percent of the market would they have if the Big four also made 350's? Yamaha slaughtered the competition with the modern 4 stroke, that 100% marketshare they had is now gone since all manufaturers are making them.

Personally I think 450's will go the way of 500 2 strokes & the market will move to 350's. But for KTM, it probably doesn't matter much either way.
Lightning78
11/14/2010 7:24pm
RaceFace wrote:
Nagl "elected" or was told? The rub with the GPs is we don't know what they are riding as far as displacement. In AMA they have...
And im assuming "the man" decoster just rolled over as well, I.e. he took a job that would absolutely jeopardize his legacy as being one if the best team managers in the history of the sport? I doubt that ....... ease up on the 350 and the conspiracy theories a little ktm has probably made considerable progress on the bike and the displacement theories when matthes was calling them out at the mxon they made a semi public public offer for matthes to tear the bike down after the race and he never did. Keep in mind they were developing that bike with nothing to reference to since the displacement has never been used in competition at this level coupled with the fact they had an all new linkage system that hasn't been on any if their bikes in over a decade and an all new frame. I'd say with the new management and a year with the 350 under their belt and some good talent they will have a MUCH better year this season let em get at least half the season in before you guys tear the bike and ktm apart
RaceFace
11/14/2010 10:10pm
Faceaz wrote:
I'm betting it's every bit as popular as they imagined & has done more for their company than any new model. Can't count how many times...
I'm betting it's every bit as popular as they imagined & has done more for their company than any new model. Can't count how many times I've heard "the Big Four are stagnant, while KTM is continuing to invest in the sport" That bike has been a big part of KTM's breakthrough in popularity.

I doubt KTM is expecting a "Revolution". In fact it may play better to them if there isn't one. They've become a success by being a niche manfacturer. They have more offroad models than any of the Big 4, having something for everyone has really helped them. There is a real market for the 350 & they have 100% of the sales. What percent of the market would they have if the Big four also made 350's? Yamaha slaughtered the competition with the modern 4 stroke, that 100% marketshare they had is now gone since all manufaturers are making them.

Personally I think 450's will go the way of 500 2 strokes & the market will move to 350's. But for KTM, it probably doesn't matter much either way.
I don't know why people keep confusing the popularity of the 350 or how good a bike it is as a niche choice for most mortals with criticisms of it as a weapon in professional motocross. It amazes me as to how people take criticism of the 350 so personally as if they designed and developed it. This is a total marketing ploy! People are watching videos of Short riding it and commenting on how light it looks. It LOOKS light? What??!! Amazing how the power of suggestion can influence the human mind.

I didn't think any other top rider would attempt to ride it in AMA competition after watching Alessi fall off the map in 2010. If the class moves to 350's that would be the revolution KTM was seeking. But that is never going to happen. What would be the impetus for the Big 4 to move to 350's? Feeling bad for KTM off the starts? Until the 350 stomps them all out, they will stick with their 450's. This bike was supposed to stomp them all out, that was the buzz coming in. Alessi was supposed to dominate the 450 class on this thing in 2010. I remember arguing with people before the gate dropped at Hangtown. I was told Alessi could holeshot on anything, and the 350 would not put a dent in his holeshot abilities. Observations? Anyone see him unable to clear Larocco's Leap lap after lap?

I'm sure the 350 is great for anyone that buys one and they'll have a blast on it. But no one is buying a 350 based on its results racing in the AMA Pro class. Try to separate the 350 bike as a choice for weekend warriors and focus just on professional racing. My whole point is why bang your head against the wall trying to race in a professional form of motorsports purposely with the slowest machine on the track? As for the guys that purchase them? They'll be boring them out, putting on exhaust systems and silencers and whatever other hot-rod mods to get more power out of them. Now anyone on either side of this has to admit that would be a hoot, right? You also know it will absolutely happen.
RaceFace
11/14/2010 10:18pm
Adam43 wrote:
What a retarded strategy. KTM's 450 is finally up to par with the Japanese, and instead of trying to market that they continue with this 350...

KTM's 450 is finally up to par with the Japanese, and instead of trying to market that they continue with this 350 experiment. The 350 is a good bike but you will never convince me that an AMA National track (and rider) is not a better fit for a 450.
Lest anyone think I hate KTM, au contraire. I have owned several KTMs and one was my favorite bike ever (520 mxc). I'm actually just kind of irritated that they insist on racing this and ignoring the 450. I would love to see Short on the 450. At least we'll get to see if Alessi did indeed forget how to ride or if trying to race Pro MX down 100cc is just ill-advised.

As Adam43 says, what a retarded strategy.
jmar
11/14/2010 10:25pm
Adam43 wrote:
What a retarded strategy. KTM's 450 is finally up to par with the Japanese, and instead of trying to market that they continue with this 350...

I gotta agree.

11/14/2010 10:32pm
For what it's worth (and that probably ain't much); 18 year old Tye Simmonds is coming 4th in the Australasian Supercross Championship on a KTM350. He's only 3 points behind 3rd placed Jake Moss on a factory Suzuki RM-Z450.
Big
11/14/2010 11:40pm
RandyS wrote:
What's to stop them from running between a 350 and 450 depending on the track. Nobody will know even if they're torn down as long as...
RaceFace wrote:
If they do get torn down, it will be known what is being ridden, in the AMA. The cylinders on the 350 and 450 are different...
If they do get torn down, it will be known what is being ridden, in the AMA. The cylinders on the 350 and 450 are different. How would it look if KTM is trying to "fool" us by saying it is a 350 but it gets out that it was a 450 when torn down? It would be a marketing disaster if they were trying to push this 350 and then the public found out they were racing a 450 and claiming it to be the 350.

I would love to know if the 350 in the GPs is 350cc. Is there a tear down in the GPs? Since they are works bikes, does it matter to anyone if it is 350cc or 420cc? The AMA has to retain the stock stroke, but can change bore. In the GPs there are no restrictions on bore or stroke. Hmmm?
Yamaha 400 was that first 3-4 gp but Peter johansson never made a good start. 4th gp he was back in top with a non-existing 426cc. First gp-s same situation with Carioli. Ktm is well reputated to have a complete different bike for average Joe than Ama/Fim bikes. More than the japs. Husky had ultra-light frame and svingarm etc for gp-team (not legal). If people start beliving themselfs they never belive a 350 beats a 450 at Glen Helen starts. And they are right. In trophee d N, Villopoto took the start with his 250 but they had ripped the track all lines exept his, oboy was he lucky.=) How many privateers where riding Ktm in Ama -10? Guess why? Is 100cc more or less important? I mean shit is shit big or small piles......
CeeTee
11/15/2010 1:30am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2010 1:34am
its funny how everyone is blaming the bike for Allesi getting bad results, after watching him at the New Zealand round of the SX, it is clear that he just isnt putting 100%, Tye Simmonds seems to be doing pretty good on the 350 and im sure his bike isnt as trick as MA, no one has mentioned how maybe his dad was actually good for him, every since MA's dad hasnt been on the seen, his results have been going down hill, just saying.... Also i have to mention that Tye was doing the triple triple of the rhythm section just like all the 450's but MA never even attempted it! So the 350 has enough power (as the 250 couldnt do it)it all comes down to the rider and MA just isnt performing!
Faceaz
11/15/2010 7:53am
Faceaz wrote:
I'm betting it's every bit as popular as they imagined & has done more for their company than any new model. Can't count how many times...

RaceFace wrote:
I don't know why people keep confusing the popularity of the 350 or how good a bike it is as a niche choice for most mortals...
I don't know why people keep confusing the popularity of the 350 or how good a bike it is as a niche choice for most mortals with criticisms of it as a weapon in professional motocross. It amazes me as to how people take criticism of the 350 so personally as if they designed and developed it. This is a total marketing ploy! People are watching videos of Short riding it and commenting on how light it looks. It LOOKS light? What??!! Amazing how the power of suggestion can influence the human mind.

I didn't think any other top rider would attempt to ride it in AMA competition after watching Alessi fall off the map in 2010. If the class moves to 350's that would be the revolution KTM was seeking. But that is never going to happen. What would be the impetus for the Big 4 to move to 350's? Feeling bad for KTM off the starts? Until the 350 stomps them all out, they will stick with their 450's. This bike was supposed to stomp them all out, that was the buzz coming in. Alessi was supposed to dominate the 450 class on this thing in 2010. I remember arguing with people before the gate dropped at Hangtown. I was told Alessi could holeshot on anything, and the 350 would not put a dent in his holeshot abilities. Observations? Anyone see him unable to clear Larocco's Leap lap after lap?

I'm sure the 350 is great for anyone that buys one and they'll have a blast on it. But no one is buying a 350 based on its results racing in the AMA Pro class. Try to separate the 350 bike as a choice for weekend warriors and focus just on professional racing. My whole point is why bang your head against the wall trying to race in a professional form of motorsports purposely with the slowest machine on the track? As for the guys that purchase them? They'll be boring them out, putting on exhaust systems and silencers and whatever other hot-rod mods to get more power out of them. Now anyone on either side of this has to admit that would be a hoot, right? You also know it will absolutely happen.
You’re a moron. I have no reason to be defensive of the 350, I have absolutely no stake in that bike succeeding. I have (3) Hondas, (2) Yamahas, (1) Suzuki, (1) KTM & a Moto Guzzi in my garage, so you can tell I’m not biased to any brand.

The fact is, the 350 has been great for KTM. It helps to show their continued commitment to the sport, when allot of other manufacturers are getting a bad wrap for not being committed. Whether is succeeds @ the top level or not, it has a niche, KTM will sell a ton of them & they have no competition in the 350 market. If the 350 proves to be competitive @ the top level, that’s just icing on the cake. It’s the journalists who like to say “revolution”, trying to garner headlines, I can’t recall (1) KTM manager saying it will revolutionize the sport.

For the 350 @ the pro level, I think it’s already proven to be competitive. Allessi had come back from injury, was riding first year on an all new bike & was getting top 5’s & 10’s right out of the gate. You would have to be way out there to expect him to dominate. The fact that Allessi performed better @ the beginning of the season & got tailed off tells me Allessi had some issues – it should have been the other way around for a first year bike.
mccread
11/15/2010 9:04am
CeeTee wrote:
its funny how everyone is blaming the bike for Allesi getting bad results, after watching him at the New Zealand round of the SX, it is...
its funny how everyone is blaming the bike for Allesi getting bad results, after watching him at the New Zealand round of the SX, it is clear that he just isnt putting 100%, Tye Simmonds seems to be doing pretty good on the 350 and im sure his bike isnt as trick as MA, no one has mentioned how maybe his dad was actually good for him, every since MA's dad hasnt been on the seen, his results have been going down hill, just saying.... Also i have to mention that Tye was doing the triple triple of the rhythm section just like all the 450's but MA never even attempted it! So the 350 has enough power (as the 250 couldnt do it)it all comes down to the rider and MA just isnt performing!
Exactly Mike was good in the first couple of AMA rounds too... also funny how AMericans totally ignore Cairolis results....because it isn't in America lol
ATKpilot99
11/15/2010 9:34am
This is from the AMA pro rule book. So it looks like if there is room in the stock casting for an overbore on the 350 it would be allowed. Obviously in my opinion it would be better to just race the 450 .

3.3 Engines
a. Engines are restricted to a single cylinder.
b. Engine displacement shall be recorded in cubic centimeters.
c. Supercharging or turbo charging is not permitted.
d. Cylinder bore may be increased to achieve the displacement limit on
motorcycles homologated for competition, provided that any kits or
parts used to increase engine displacement (to the approved class
limit) must use items that have been approved by AMA Pro Racing.
e. Stroke must remain the same as the homologated model
RandyS
11/15/2010 9:46am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
This is from the AMA pro rule book. So it looks like if there is room in the stock casting for an overbore on the 350...
This is from the AMA pro rule book. So it looks like if there is room in the stock casting for an overbore on the 350 it would be allowed. Obviously in my opinion it would be better to just race the 450 .

3.3 Engines
And as long as it's under 449 even if it's torn down all AMA should tell anyone is that it was legal. Maybe that's not the case with AMA. I didn't realize the 350 and 450 were different engines, I assumed it was just a sleeved down 450 which could have had any size piston up to the 450 one without anyone knowing.
ATKpilot99
11/15/2010 9:49am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
This is from the AMA pro rule book. So it looks like if there is room in the stock casting for an overbore on the 350...

3.3 Engines
RandyS wrote:
And as long as it's under 449 even if it's torn down all AMA should tell anyone is that it was legal. Maybe that's not the...
And as long as it's under 449 even if it's torn down all AMA should tell anyone is that it was legal. Maybe that's not the case with AMA. I didn't realize the 350 and 450 were different engines, I assumed it was just a sleeved down 450 which could have had any size piston up to the 450 one without anyone knowing.
Nope this is MXAs description of the 350 engine.

Q: IS THE 350SXF A BIG-BORE 250 OR A SLEEVED-DOWN 450?

A: Neither. The 60-pound, five-speed, DOHC, finger follower, four-valve, 349.7cc engine shares the design concept of the 250SXF in terms of weight, compactness and design, but none of the parts.

Post a reply to: No Factory KTM450 for 2011?

The Latest