No Alta for Adams

byke
12/26/2018 11:34am
byke wrote:
User friendly and age friendly go hand in hand. That's just a human thing.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I could use that argument for either the 14-19 yz250f and 10-19 yz450f with the 18-19 450/19 250f being even more user friendly with the tuners/tuner...
I could use that argument for either the 14-19 yz250f and 10-19 yz450f with the 18-19 450/19 250f being even more user friendly with the tuners/tuner app.
Yeah but it's not binary and everything is relative. Meaning, just because a YZ250F is easier to ride than a 125 and just because an Alta is easier to ride than a 125, doesn't mean that a YZ250F and an Alta are somehow the same. But yes, I totally agree that 4t's are easier to ride than their 2t counterpart. Not everyone feels that way, but I agree with you.
barnett468
12/26/2018 11:38am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 11:38am
byke wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
This doesn't make any sense to me because you are not saying anything specific.

byke wrote:
That's ok. There's no requirement that we all have to understand each other. I'd recommend seeking out topics which you find easier to relate to.
ummm...perhaps you should seek out topics that you can reply to in a manner that makes sense instead of making generalized, non specific statements...if you can, lol.

byke
12/26/2018 11:41am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 11:42am
barnett468 wrote:
This doesn't make any sense to me because you are not saying anything specific.

byke wrote:
That's ok. There's no requirement that we all have to understand each other. I'd recommend seeking out topics which you find easier to relate to.
barnett468 wrote:
ummm...perhaps you should seek out topics that you can reply to in a manner that makes sense instead of making generalized, non specific statements...if you can...
ummm...perhaps you should seek out topics that you can reply to in a manner that makes sense instead of making generalized, non specific statements...if you can, lol.

I'm not a teacher, plus I can tell you have no actual interest in trying to understand the perspective. The philosophy is super simple, yet you don't understand because it's not specific. Oh ok.

The Shop

barnett468
12/26/2018 11:55am
byke wrote:
barnett468 wrote:
ummm...perhaps you should seek out topics that you can reply to in a manner that makes sense instead of making generalized, non specific statements...if you can...

byke wrote:
I'm not a teacher, plus I can tell you have no actual interest in trying to understand the perspective. The philosophy is super simple, yet you...
I'm not a teacher, plus I can tell you have no actual interest in trying to understand the perspective. The philosophy is super simple, yet you don't understand because it's not specific. Oh ok.
Well like most people that make assumptions instead of asking questions to try and get answers, you are completely wrong. You have not clarified your "philosophy", and at this point it seems that you can't because you do not really know exactly what it is, and people that make generalized statements like you are, often have no real idea what they are talking about, but please continue as it is mildly amusing so far.

byke
12/26/2018 12:03pm
Ok.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/26/2018 12:07pm
byke wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I could use that argument for either the 14-19 yz250f and 10-19 yz450f with the 18-19 450/19 250f being even more user friendly with the tuners/tuner...
I could use that argument for either the 14-19 yz250f and 10-19 yz450f with the 18-19 450/19 250f being even more user friendly with the tuners/tuner app.
byke wrote:
Yeah but it's not binary and everything is relative. Meaning, just because a YZ250F is easier to ride than a 125 and just because an Alta...
Yeah but it's not binary and everything is relative. Meaning, just because a YZ250F is easier to ride than a 125 and just because an Alta is easier to ride than a 125, doesn't mean that a YZ250F and an Alta are somehow the same. But yes, I totally agree that 4t's are easier to ride than their 2t counterpart. Not everyone feels that way, but I agree with you.
I just think everyone should keep from stating their OPINIONS as facts. On both sides of the argument. I love to hear everyone's OPINIONS on everything so I can make a well educated decision. I don't like anyone trying to state opinions as facts. That doesn't sit well with me. I stated my opinion on the Alta's, they just don't excite me. I'd love to ride one and it might change my mind, but maybe it won't. Who knows? I'd like to see more people open to things until they try it themselves and decide whether or not they like it based on experience instead of being so closed off and basing their opinion on not wanting things to change.

Sure, electric has a place in moto. Might not be for a while, but there is a spot. I don't see it running ICE bikes out, at least not for a looooong while. I do not see more tracks opening up because of them, not inner city tracks anyways. Dust will always be the second biggest issue next to noise for our sport in my opinion. I believe that will keep inner city tracks from becoming a thing, but I very well could be wrong. Time will tell, right?
byke
12/26/2018 12:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 12:15pm
Not quite following how that works as a response. I agreed with you, but added some clarifications. You're right, a YZ250F shares some of the "easier for a vet" qualities as an Alta, but wanted to point out the relative nature because things can be a little easier, moderately easier, a lot easier, etc. And it's relative, because a YZ250F might be harder for a vet to ride moto than something else.
barnett468
12/26/2018 12:20pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
byke wrote:
Yeah but it's not binary and everything is relative. Meaning, just because a YZ250F is easier to ride than a 125 and just because an Alta...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I just think everyone should keep from stating their OPINIONS as facts. On both sides of the argument. I love to hear everyone's OPINIONS on everything...
I just think everyone should keep from stating their OPINIONS as facts. On both sides of the argument. I love to hear everyone's OPINIONS on everything so I can make a well educated decision. I don't like anyone trying to state opinions as facts. That doesn't sit well with me. I stated my opinion on the Alta's, they just don't excite me. I'd love to ride one and it might change my mind, but maybe it won't. Who knows? I'd like to see more people open to things until they try it themselves and decide whether or not they like it based on experience instead of being so closed off and basing their opinion on not wanting things to change.

Sure, electric has a place in moto. Might not be for a while, but there is a spot. I don't see it running ICE bikes out, at least not for a looooong while. I do not see more tracks opening up because of them, not inner city tracks anyways. Dust will always be the second biggest issue next to noise for our sport in my opinion. I believe that will keep inner city tracks from becoming a thing, but I very well could be wrong. Time will tell, right?

"I just think everyone should keep from stating their OPINIONS as facts."

Unfortunately I think there are many people that don't know the difference.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/26/2018 12:22pm
byke wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
I just think everyone should keep from stating their OPINIONS as facts. On both sides of the argument. I love to hear everyone's OPINIONS on everything...

barnett468 wrote:

That's a good point
barnett468
12/26/2018 12:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 12:27pm
byke wrote:
Not quite following how that works as a response. I agreed with you, but added some clarifications. You're right, a YZ250F shares some of the "easier...
Not quite following how that works as a response. I agreed with you, but added some clarifications. You're right, a YZ250F shares some of the "easier for a vet" qualities as an Alta, but wanted to point out the relative nature because things can be a little easier, moderately easier, a lot easier, etc. And it's relative, because a YZ250F might be harder for a vet to ride moto than something else.
"Yeah but it's not binary and everything is relative...

...wanted to point out the relative nature because things can be a little easier, moderately easier, a lot easier, etc. And it's relative..."

OMG!...

JM485
12/26/2018 12:35pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:

barnett468 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
That's a good point
I have to laugh that people are posting factual information about these bikes regarding the battery lifecycle and run times, and they’re being downvoted because people don’t like the answer.Laughing

byke
12/26/2018 12:39pm
byke wrote:
Not quite following how that works as a response. I agreed with you, but added some clarifications. You're right, a YZ250F shares some of the "easier...
barnett468 wrote:
"Yeah but it's not binary and everything is relative... ...wanted to point out the relative nature because things can be a little easier, moderately easier, a...
"Yeah but it's not binary and everything is relative...

...wanted to point out the relative nature because things can be a little easier, moderately easier, a lot easier, etc. And it's relative..."

OMG!...

Are you reading everything? He was mentioning how the YZ250F can fall into the category of being easier for a vet and I stated how it's relative. Meaning, a YZ250F might be easier than a 125 and so is the Alta, but it doesn't mean they're the same amount of easy. If nothing else, the Alta will be easier than the YZ250F just because of maintenance. And if you don't do any maintenance, at the minimum it's easier to plug into an outlet than to get in your truck to go get gas. Easier is relative to whatever bike a person is thinking of as the reference point. Maybe someone is thinking of a pw50, then they're all *easier*, but it doesn't mean they're all the *easiest*.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/26/2018 12:40pm
barnett468 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
That's a good point
JM485 wrote:
I have to laugh that people are posting factual information about these bikes regarding the battery lifecycle and run times, and they’re being downvoted because people...
I have to laugh that people are posting factual information about these bikes regarding the battery lifecycle and run times, and they’re being downvoted because people don’t like the answer.Laughing

Ya, that doesn't make sense to me.

Haters Tongue
GODZILLA
12/26/2018 12:55pm
barnett468 wrote:

"The ALTA is the perfect MX bike" is an opinion.
"No matter what, I hate it with a passion" is a fact.
Wink
mikec265
12/26/2018 1:02pm
Even bears are becoming electric powered, instead of charging off of meat and berries.
12/26/2018 1:12pm
I'd love to come across that bear riding single track on a silent bike. Man I wish those things didn't have computers running them. Everything else can be fabbed up one way or another.
Johnny Ringo
12/26/2018 1:21pm
This thread has lasted longer than the Alta’s battery life
12/26/2018 4:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/26/2018 4:28pm
JM485 wrote:
I have to laugh that people are posting factual information about these bikes regarding the battery lifecycle and run times, and they’re being downvoted because people...

It's honestly getting exhausting. I'm posting unbiased opinions as an owner of an Alta who also owns a 4 stroke and a 2 stroke. I've ridden many bikes on many different style tracks. Everything I say is indeed factual or based on objective evidence and my experiences on the bike. Yet, theres always naysayers and push back, like I'm talking out my ass. All I have to say is that every single person that has ridden my bike, even those who were naysayers prior, got off the bike amazed and blown away. You can sit on the sidelines and bad mouth something all you want, but you're just a keyboard warrior, a troll, an asshole.

There are indeed a few disadvantages to the Alta or electric motocross bikes in general - lack of noise in the woods from a rider safety perspective may be a concern, but I have yet to be in a situation where the silent bike has gotten me in a dangerous situation while ripping around the woods. Range for long distance riders (2+hours of fast trail riding without stopping) may be an issue, agreed...but you are the minority in motocross.
Alex.434
12/26/2018 5:59pm
Bryan remember what I told you at Cahuilla about why I don't really post on message boards anymore (once I got out of my 20's) even though I've had a long career in the industry spanning race teams, OEMs, and top level sponsors of the sport....

This thread is a prime example of the why... Smile

Happy Holidays!
Excaliburbmx
12/26/2018 7:28pm
Facts

1,alta is one of the most expensive bikes out there

2,the company is on shutdown and or out of businesss

3,suppliers are wanting their product back for non payment

4,we as consumers don’t have real data and facts on actual battery life just what the factory told us was the life.

5,replacement parts are going to be hard to get in 2 years time

6,resale will definitely suffer after 3 years as battery life would be a major concern

7,they are very niche and tech and that usually tends to date very fast.
barnett468
12/26/2018 7:48pm
Alex.434 wrote:
Bryan remember what I told you at Cahuilla about why I don't really post on message boards anymore (once I got out of my 20's) even...
Bryan remember what I told you at Cahuilla about why I don't really post on message boards anymore (once I got out of my 20's) even though I've had a long career in the industry spanning race teams, OEMs, and top level sponsors of the sport....

Happy Holidays!
Hey, don't despair, not everyone on the site is negative. Don't take anything personal and just consider the source of some of the comments and find the humor in them. If you can do that then you might find this place quite amusing at times.

Happy New Year!

12/26/2018 8:08pm
Please list out the "more downside than up" reasons for riding an electric motocross bike. I'll be right back with my popcorn. The only downside is...
Please list out the "more downside than up" reasons for riding an electric motocross bike. I'll be right back with my popcorn.

The only downside is that the Alta, as it currently is built, cannot last more than 45min-1hr worth of actual ride time on a motocross track before needing recharging. But it's not really a downside because 90% of the motocross community can't even spin longer than a 20 minute moto without being exhausted. Also, most local series races only have 10-15 minute motos anyway. I've raced 2 classes / 4 motos in a race day before with recharging in between motos and never even came close to running out of battery.

It has power characteristics that 4 strokes are striving for with even more mechanical simplicity than a 2 stroke. How can you not appreciate that?
In your opinion. Not everybody desires the same things from a motorcycle as you. Things you listed as an advantage in your little write up are things that I consider a disadvantage. When you realize that you are not the end all be all for determining what is wanted in a dirtbike, you may realize why Alta is no more. Never rode one, but I’ve been following them as long or longer than anyone here. I repair electric vehicles for a living and have raced electric RC cars for 20 years. I have zero interest in an electric dirtbike.
12/26/2018 8:12pm
Please list out the "more downside than up" reasons for riding an electric motocross bike. I'll be right back with my popcorn. The only downside is...
Please list out the "more downside than up" reasons for riding an electric motocross bike. I'll be right back with my popcorn.

The only downside is that the Alta, as it currently is built, cannot last more than 45min-1hr worth of actual ride time on a motocross track before needing recharging. But it's not really a downside because 90% of the motocross community can't even spin longer than a 20 minute moto without being exhausted. Also, most local series races only have 10-15 minute motos anyway. I've raced 2 classes / 4 motos in a race day before with recharging in between motos and never even came close to running out of battery.

It has power characteristics that 4 strokes are striving for with even more mechanical simplicity than a 2 stroke. How can you not appreciate that?
In your opinion. Not everybody desires the same things from a motorcycle as you. Things you listed as an advantage in your little write up are...
In your opinion. Not everybody desires the same things from a motorcycle as you. Things you listed as an advantage in your little write up are things that I consider a disadvantage. When you realize that you are not the end all be all for determining what is wanted in a dirtbike, you may realize why Alta is no more. Never rode one, but I’ve been following them as long or longer than anyone here. I repair electric vehicles for a living and have raced electric RC cars for 20 years. I have zero interest in an electric dirtbike.
Not having a stab at you personally.. but I’m sure many many people had zero interest in riding a 4stroke until Henry won on one, then KW raced them indoors, then RC and CR stopped riding 2 strokes all together
12/26/2018 8:18pm
Not having a stab at you personally.. but I’m sure many many people had zero interest in riding a 4stroke until Henry won on one, then...
Not having a stab at you personally.. but I’m sure many many people had zero interest in riding a 4stroke until Henry won on one, then KW raced them indoors, then RC and CR stopped riding 2 strokes all together
Well I guess fortunately for my point nobody will be winning on an Alta. And Plenty of people raced and won on four strokes before Henry. Also, four strokes would not have taken over if not for the poor displacement rules put in place that gave them a massive advantage.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
12/27/2018 12:27pm
I don’t think the tech was that advanced. Ya’ll are acting like it was a moto version of Tesla
No kidding! haha. They aren't as great as they think, and go against the nature of a MOTOR sport. We burn gas in these sports, not batteries.
JM485
12/27/2018 12:52pm
nrosso391 wrote:
No kidding! haha. They aren't as great as they think, and go against the nature of a MOTOR sport. We burn gas in these sports, not...
No kidding! haha. They aren't as great as they think, and go against the nature of a MOTOR sport. We burn gas in these sports, not batteries.
It’s actually an electric MOTOR, and we burn gas in ENGINES, but you’ve got it all figured out so I’m sure you knew that.

Tech doesn’t always have to be brand new, you’ll see in the coming decades that the majority of successful ideas will come from the recombination of known technology in ways that hadn’t been thought of before, rather than entirely new theories and processes. Motorcycles themselves are an example of this, the earliest were just bicycles (a known technology) combined with an engine (another known technology), far from ground breaking or revolutionary but a still a powerful recombination of ideas. What grew from these early iterations are obviously much more refined and exclusive to their own category of vehicle, but it didn’t start out that way.

Societies that accept and sort through potential new technologies most efficiently in the coming decades with thrive, while those that push back against new ideas without reason are doomed to fall. Not giving something a chance just because it’s new or different is a great way to remain where you’ve always been and get what you’ve always gotten.
newmann
12/27/2018 1:04pm
Alex.434 wrote:
Bryan remember what I told you at Cahuilla about why I don't really post on message boards anymore (once I got out of my 20's) even...

Happy Holidays!
Funny thing is that not everyone is negative about it. Many of us actually like the bike/concept, but not for all the same reasons as he and other Alta owners do. Doesn't matter though, they still see it all as negative replies. If you see things the same way, I can see why you wouldn't want to hang out here either.
newmann
12/27/2018 1:09pm

In your opinion. Not everybody desires the same things from a motorcycle as you. Things you listed as an advantage in your little write up are...
Not having a stab at you personally.. but I’m sure many many people had zero interest in riding a 4stroke until Henry won on one, then...
Double displacement and twice the rpm's as the previous offerings tends to change things. The fact that the morons (yes, morons) in charge of the sport were too f'n stupid to take any of that into consideration was a crime against the sport.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
12/27/2018 1:28pm
nrosso391 wrote:
No kidding! haha. They aren't as great as they think, and go against the nature of a MOTOR sport. We burn gas in these sports, not...
JM485 wrote:
It’s actually an electric MOTOR, and we burn gas in ENGINES, but you’ve got it all figured out so I’m sure you knew that. Tech doesn’t...
It’s actually an electric MOTOR, and we burn gas in ENGINES, but you’ve got it all figured out so I’m sure you knew that.

Tech doesn’t always have to be brand new, you’ll see in the coming decades that the majority of successful ideas will come from the recombination of known technology in ways that hadn’t been thought of before, rather than entirely new theories and processes. Motorcycles themselves are an example of this, the earliest were just bicycles (a known technology) combined with an engine (another known technology), far from ground breaking or revolutionary but a still a powerful recombination of ideas. What grew from these early iterations are obviously much more refined and exclusive to their own category of vehicle, but it didn’t start out that way.

Societies that accept and sort through potential new technologies most efficiently in the coming decades with thrive, while those that push back against new ideas without reason are doomed to fall. Not giving something a chance just because it’s new or different is a great way to remain where you’ve always been and get what you’ve always gotten.
Speaking of people who got it all figured out... Captain Know It All just showed up.

Post a reply to: No Alta for Adams

The Latest