Nitro Mousse

Ethan454
Just installed a set of Nitro Mousses along with a fresh set of MX33s on my brand new 250 XC. With five spoons, a little lube, and without a fancy changing stand I would say the job wasn't nearly as difficult as what most people say. However I have a quarter of the rear bead on one side that will not fully seat. I plugged the valve stem hole from the inside so getting compressed air in is nearly impossible. I have also made a few 5th gear pulls with the rim lock slightly loose with no luck. Any other ideas? Or should I just send the damn thing?
|
XC706
Fantasy
668th
2/27/2020 12:13pm
Poke a hole in the tape and hit it with the compressor. After the bead seats plug the hole with a little silicone sealant.
Ethan454
2/27/2020 12:57pm
I didn't tape it. My ocd ass put rubber rim hole plug in from the inside. I guess I could bust the bead completely off one side and try an fish out the plug.
kary
2/27/2020 1:14pm
When I ran mousses I used to drill a hole in the tire and to hit this hole with the compressor (Yes, I'm serious and an official Yamaha team gave me this tip - it works pretty well when you're drilling on the tire part that's not sitting correctly on the rim)
SEE ARE125
2/27/2020 1:58pm
Take it to a local tire shop and have them hit it with a bead seater. They probably won’t even charge you.

The Shop

pbody
Fantasy
320th
2/27/2020 2:48pm
So I just tried to install some mousses for the first time....I gave up and took them to the dealer to install. They are being installed with new Kenda Southwick tires, and I was using a tire changing stand. I watched several videos and applied same techniques, but the first tire I tried wouldn't budge. Does anyone have experience with Kenda installs....are they harder to install than other tires? Do I need to wait till daytime and throw them in the warm sun before installing?
vetmxr
2/27/2020 5:41pm
Use numerous vise grips around the rim as you go and mounting a mouse is easier than a tube....a vice grip won't spring back and break your jaw....plus if you use the bigger end of the vise grip jaws...it pushes the bead into the center of the rim enough to make it go on easy.....try it
LungButter
2/27/2020 6:23pm
vetmxr wrote:
Use numerous vise grips around the rim as you go and mounting a mouse is easier than a tube....a vice grip won't spring back and break...
Use numerous vise grips around the rim as you go and mounting a mouse is easier than a tube....a vice grip won't spring back and break your jaw....plus if you use the bigger end of the vise grip jaws...it pushes the bead into the center of the rim enough to make it go on easy.....try it
Agreed, this is a tried and true method, especially if you don't own a Rabaconda.

I did hundreds of Mousses with a homemade Zip Ty racing style stand, 3 good irons and 4-6 sets of vice grips back in the day.
Ethan454
2/28/2020 5:35am
Thanks for the replies guys. I used plenty of murphys and after watching several videos of the Rabaconda I think im going to bite the bullet.
aees
2/28/2020 5:42am
You should absolutely not use tire mounting pasta or lube for mousses. That is made to dry up after som time and will kill the mousse

Buy silicone on bottles, the one that plumbers uses to fit plastic drains together. Like 5-10 USD for a bottle. Then a wide brush to apply it to inside of tire.
2/28/2020 6:37am Edited Date/Time 2/28/2020 6:39am
aees wrote:
You should absolutely not use tire mounting pasta or lube for mousses. That is made to dry up after som time and will kill the mousse...
You should absolutely not use tire mounting pasta or lube for mousses. That is made to dry up after som time and will kill the mousse

Buy silicone on bottles, the one that plumbers uses to fit plastic drains together. Like 5-10 USD for a bottle. Then a wide brush to apply it to inside of tire.
You think? I don't see why, or how, it could when it's sealed inside the tire. I've only seen Murphy's dry when it's been in air a long, long time, and it's spread really, really thin.

I got the idea from Cody Shafer on this Motosport video. Skip to 1:25.

Xeno
2/28/2020 6:50am
Use the silicone lube included in the Nitro Mousse box. Water-based lube will dry up and decrease the life span of the mousse.

Post a reply to: Nitro Mousse

The Latest