“Next big thing” riders

observeroffacts
Fantasy
3671st
3/30/2018 9:39am
We have now, and for nearly a decade, been in an era where every single athlete in MX/SX is groomed from an early age. The standard set by RC, Stew, Ryan V and Ryan D, is paramount. This is obvious.

Some feel that we lack a “next big thing” rider such as those listed above. Others feel that the entire field has been training/homeschooled/lived at facilities since early childhood and have elevated the bar so high that everyone is prodigal. Which is it? Is It just chance that there is no obvious stand out on the horizon or is it insurmountable lifelong pressure causing inconsistency and ultimately big mistakes, injuries aside
|
KirkChandler
Fantasy
357th
3/30/2018 10:05am
Jett Reynolds would be the next kid that’s dominated his amateur career over his peers that has the potential be “the next big thing”.
aeffertz
3/30/2018 10:10am
The compitition is finally catching up to the elite guy since everyone racing now has been racing since they were in diapers.

Like Rhonda Rowsey (sp?) and MMA. She destroyed everyone because she was good, yes, but mainly because the rest of the compitition was so far off where they should be or needed to be. She ran her course and then other women caught on to what they needed to be doing and came and destroyed her shortly after. It happens everywhere.
kage173
3/30/2018 10:23am
Jett Reynolds would be the next kid that’s dominated his amateur career over his peers that has the potential be “the next big thing”.
Man I don't know. I thought JR was it to, but after watching him and Ryder D battle at Freestone, kind of changed my mind. Obviously both will be good, but I felt like Ryder D, at least the day I was there had an edge.

Both will be awesome, I shouldn't take away from Reynolds
B DUB 333
3/30/2018 10:38am
What about Deegan's kid?

The Shop

3/30/2018 11:52am
aeffertz wrote:
The compitition is finally catching up to the elite guy since everyone racing now has been racing since they were in diapers. Like Rhonda Rowsey (sp?)...
The compitition is finally catching up to the elite guy since everyone racing now has been racing since they were in diapers.

Like Rhonda Rowsey (sp?) and MMA. She destroyed everyone because she was good, yes, but mainly because the rest of the compitition was so far off where they should be or needed to be. She ran her course and then other women caught on to what they needed to be doing and came and destroyed her shortly after. It happens everywhere.
I can't make sense of this. Plus Ronda was carefully matched to build her profile and it wasn't until she had to fight Holm was her weaknesses exposed.
kage173
3/30/2018 12:55pm
aeffertz wrote:
The compitition is finally catching up to the elite guy since everyone racing now has been racing since they were in diapers. Like Rhonda Rowsey (sp?)...

I don't agree with you bro. I don't think it's anything new. Every rider that has turned pro for the last 20 years (and probably further than that) has been racing since they were 5 years old. And they all have traveled and trained very seriously since that time.
Kowskii305
3/30/2018 1:04pm
What about Hunter Lawrence little brother? Heard that kid rips.
Bennett59
3/30/2018 1:25pm
kage173 wrote:
Man I don't know. I thought JR was it to, but after watching him and Ryder D battle at Freestone, kind of changed my mind. Obviously...
Man I don't know. I thought JR was it to, but after watching him and Ryder D battle at Freestone, kind of changed my mind. Obviously both will be good, but I felt like Ryder D, at least the day I was there had an edge.

Both will be awesome, I shouldn't take away from Reynolds
I heard Rynolds was not a 100% for freestone, injured is what I heard. There’s a lot of upcoming kids that are quick and fast pretty stacked now a days.
dc444
Fantasy
1451st
3/30/2018 1:28pm
Ryan Dungey was not one one of these “up and comers”
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
3/30/2018 1:33pm
I think there's people around here who mix up riders who will definitely have a pro career someday with riders who will go down in the history books as one of the greatest ever. There's a lot of kids who I think will have solid, long pro careers (Stilez Robertson, Mumford, Marchbanks, Shimoda, etc), but there's also kids with the potential to be a McGrath, Villopoto, Dungey, etc: DiFrancesco, Ty Masterpool, and rising above the rest.. Jett Reynolds.
cable
3/30/2018 1:51pm
which one has blue collar parents? Those days might be gone but all the legends came from blue collar parents.
Cortami79
3/30/2018 4:10pm
Kowskii305 wrote:
What about Hunter Lawrence little brother? Heard that kid rips.
I consider that kid as a big big talent
MXMattii
3/30/2018 4:21pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2018 4:28pm
ruy wrote:

I have been following Jammin Josh Varize for several years, since he was in 65cc, future top rider.
https://www.instagram.com/jammin_24/
https://www.facebook.com/jamminjosh.varize
I really hope he comes to Europe to race the EMX125 class, same thing with Max Vohland. Both kids have such a cool style.

Bye the way this is my list and I will quote it in a few years.

Jo Shimoda
Jett Lawrence
Max Vohland
Josh Varize
Ty Maesterpool
and that LeBlanc kid.

Jett smoked everyone on that RM85 last year but this year he is really strugling on that RM250Z, I heard it is Seewer bike from last year. I really think he needs to ride more races on the 250cc and then things will be OK and other wise he can still step down to the Supermini in 2019 when they are coming to the states for Geico.
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
3/30/2018 4:41pm Edited Date/Time 3/30/2018 4:42pm
Ty Masterpool can be something special, I've seen a lot of fast kids on mini bikes and his corner speed is unreal. That kid is a special talent.

kb228
3/30/2018 4:48pm
Pick any team green rider lol. Kawasaki literally wins everything
Jacob_Deer
3/30/2018 5:07pm
Talon Hawkins seems to be pretty fast and consistent
devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3807th
3/30/2018 5:14pm
Jacob_Deer wrote:
Talon Hawkins seems to be pretty fast and consistent
Back to what I said about mixing up potential pros and potential “next big thing” riders.
sherro24
3/30/2018 6:53pm
seth hammiker (not sure how to spell it) but thats defiantly a kid ill watch closely.
TDeath21
3/30/2018 7:08pm
Without question we are in an era for the first time in a long time that we have no all time greats out there. It makes for great, close, unpredictable racing, but it’s certainly lacking with regards to the all time great department. Just look at each rider you think might be that guy and they have huge holes in their game that prevent them from greatness. Good not great is this era, and I don’t see anyone else coming up that is going to be at that level either. Like I said though, it makes for great unpredictable racing.
Forty
3/30/2018 7:09pm
Forkner is ginna find his stride and take a Honda to its first 450 SX championship since RC.
kkawboy14
3/30/2018 7:11pm
dc444 wrote:
Ryan Dungey was not one one of these “up and comers”
I don’t think Ryan Dungey was on anyone’s radar at the time as the next big thing.
TDeath21
3/30/2018 7:18pm
aeffertz wrote:

This is false. They were all there last season too and Dungey wiped the floor with them. Only one even remotely close was Eli and that’s because he was in a nothing to lose mode. Soon as the championship pressure was there, he cracked big time. Then we go to MX where literally everyone tried to hand the championship to everyone else. That’s not what all time greats, or “elites”, do. Eli came out on top with the lowest point total of a champion in a long long time. Anderson this season, props to him for being smart and not taking himself out of it like everyone else did. But he’s not all time great or putting together any sort of eye opening season. I think he saw the flaws of everyone of his fellow competitors and knew what he had to do. Which is smart obviously. His championship he will likely get is still equal to any other championship in the sport’s history though, so don’t misconstrue that.
Drtbykr
3/30/2018 7:36pm
I’m still trying to figure out if I would hire AC or AP when 450 time comes.
I think on of them two will be “the next big thing”. There are #5, #7 and #22 holes to fill on the top steps.

There were so many fast kids at the MEC on Superminis riding the track like a boss.
Still early to tell with them, burnout, body growth, who knows.

See Eddie Hicks, or even Mike Alessi. Alessi was good but really, he never won anything except a Canadian championship. He seems very nice and professional at our races.
Doddy
3/30/2018 8:23pm
Carson Brown
Premixed112
3/30/2018 9:04pm
TDeath21 wrote:
Without question we are in an era for the first time in a long time that we have no all time greats out there. It makes...
Without question we are in an era for the first time in a long time that we have no all time greats out there. It makes for great, close, unpredictable racing, but it’s certainly lacking with regards to the all time great department. Just look at each rider you think might be that guy and they have huge holes in their game that prevent them from greatness. Good not great is this era, and I don’t see anyone else coming up that is going to be at that level either. Like I said though, it makes for great unpredictable racing.
Yeah, and I hope it stays that way. How anyone enjoyed watching racing while McGrath dominated every time is beyond me. I want to see battling, not a runaway.
King KTM
3/30/2018 10:10pm
aeffertz wrote:

kage173 wrote:
I don't agree with you bro. I don't think it's anything new. Every rider that has turned pro for the last 20 years (and probably further...
I don't agree with you bro. I don't think it's anything new. Every rider that has turned pro for the last 20 years (and probably further than that) has been racing since they were 5 years old. And they all have traveled and trained very seriously since that time.
McGrath did not start riding until about 14.

Post a reply to: “Next big thing” riders

The Latest