"Next Level" + Mindhacks for Riding

nolookpass
I'm sure we have those days when we ride or race and we feel like we just leveled up -- turning was easier, you didn't think about the jumps as much or you were not gripping as tight with your hands or, you just had more "flow" that day and everything seemed easier.

Then, the opposite of that is true, sometimes you are tired, not properly hydrated, hungry, or my buddies I normally keep up with blow by (maybe they are having an "on" day) and I can't keep up.

Regardless, whenever I am done riding, I'll ask myself what's 1 thing I did really well that day, and 1 thing that I could improve on for the next time.

For example, I may think something like "I was not getting through the whoops as fast as my buddies X or Y today, but I know I was faster around this section than they were, so next practice I'll session the whoops a few times while people are pitting."

I find that even if you had a bad day overall, you can find bits that were better and it's a good "hack" if you will for your brain to keep positive.

I also find that when I'm in a battle or feeling nervous/stressed out there, I'll hum a Jack Johnson song or something mellow to myself and it lowers my heart rate some (maybe); or at the very least it sort of brings your brain out of the moment for a while.

Does anyone do anything like this?
|
JohnnyD13
10/5/2017 6:06pm
On Thursday evening rides, me and my 2 buddies do the Wim Hof breathing technique to set. Then a warm up. Then we stagger start and have a 3 moto race. Fastest goes last. The last time I went up a level and something clicked was on a bike that was set up just a little soft and I had a lot of confort on it for some reason. Still trying to get that back. Working on a 2018 crf450r to get that back and maybe go up a level again
rpawley
10/5/2017 6:11pm
JohnnyD13 wrote:
On Thursday evening rides, me and my 2 buddies do the Wim Hof breathing technique to set. Then a warm up. Then we stagger start and...
On Thursday evening rides, me and my 2 buddies do the Wim Hof breathing technique to set. Then a warm up. Then we stagger start and have a 3 moto race. Fastest goes last. The last time I went up a level and something clicked was on a bike that was set up just a little soft and I had a lot of confort on it for some reason. Still trying to get that back. Working on a 2018 crf450r to get that back and maybe go up a level again
That's awesome you do the Wim Hof Method, shit is fo real. Just started his newest course.
BS12
10/5/2017 10:28pm
Not so much mind hacks but...

I always found riding at say 80-90% consistently saw me ride better and looser than trying to go 100% everywhere. Just riding that little bit off of "full go for it" pace and finding your rhythm or zone. Back when I was riding more often there was a hard pack track that I could go a half hour(ish) moto without too much of a drama, simply by finding my rhythm and happy pace that was a click below full pace and just reeling off laps on what felt like auto pilot.

I would (and still do) always try to finish up riding for the day a little earlier before being fully over it, to ensure I stay keen for the next ride, rather than riding myself into the ground and heading home completely exhausted and happy to put the bike away for a while. On that note, sometimes if there's a jump you wanna try but are hesitant, or a section that you've not quite nailed, its best to leave it be on that day for the same reason - to keep you keen and motivated to head back out again next time and dial it.

As the years go by and I don't get to head out as much, I try to just relish and enjoy every session on the track for what it is - the love of riding dirt bikes.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
10/6/2017 1:34am
BS12 wrote:
Not so much mind hacks but... I always found riding at say 80-90% consistently saw me ride better and looser than trying to go 100% everywhere...
Not so much mind hacks but...

I always found riding at say 80-90% consistently saw me ride better and looser than trying to go 100% everywhere. Just riding that little bit off of "full go for it" pace and finding your rhythm or zone. Back when I was riding more often there was a hard pack track that I could go a half hour(ish) moto without too much of a drama, simply by finding my rhythm and happy pace that was a click below full pace and just reeling off laps on what felt like auto pilot.

I would (and still do) always try to finish up riding for the day a little earlier before being fully over it, to ensure I stay keen for the next ride, rather than riding myself into the ground and heading home completely exhausted and happy to put the bike away for a while. On that note, sometimes if there's a jump you wanna try but are hesitant, or a section that you've not quite nailed, its best to leave it be on that day for the same reason - to keep you keen and motivated to head back out again next time and dial it.

As the years go by and I don't get to head out as much, I try to just relish and enjoy every session on the track for what it is - the love of riding dirt bikes.
This

Sometimes you have to slow down in order to go faster.

I'm always trying to ride at 100%. It's my nature.
But I found that backing it down just slightly gets me relaxed and then my pace picks up and I'm riding faster than ever, and it's just flows. I can ride like that for many, many laps.

I was off the bike for a while, so this is advice I need to remember and apply.

The Shop

10/6/2017 4:13am
I try and remind myself to have fun and be smooth. Those two things pretty much guarantee that I will have a faster day.

Make sure all your gear is in your bag and fits. I have a pair of pants that are a little too big, I ride like shit EVERY time I wear them. Officially retired them last week.

Another thing, don't even go to the track if your bike maintenance isn't 100%. Nothing worse than taking a chance on something that isn't solid and then having bigger issues. Ex: if you have a worn rear tire or have a trail rear sprocket on...dont expect to be up front in the first corner. Ive struggled with this one in the past.
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
10/6/2017 7:07am
I always go to the track with the mind set I am the fastest rider there in all conditions.

I agree with nascarnate326, if the bike isn't right you are less likely to be confident racing it. If my grips move, it is a problem. I ojed the up hill triple at fast farms once and my left grip flew off. It ended with a concussion and long ass trip back home. I glue the fuck out of all grips now with the pro taper super glue.

Post a reply to: "Next Level" + Mindhacks for Riding

The Latest