Latest Rumor/Fact: No Suzuki Factory Team in MXGP and MX2 for 2018

themrtoad
9/25/2017 2:54am
Any news about how Everts will go ahead? Private team? Different brand?
Did he burn his bridges at Yamaha when he left for KTM when he retired from riding?

I think it's really sad to see what's happening in the paddock. MX has some big issues to figure out.
I'm pretty sure even GL is quite worried about this...

Since the model we have now isn't working I hope they are brave enough to make some changes sooner rather than later.
philG
9/25/2017 3:41am
Robgvx wrote:
Are you really a factory rider if you've paid for the privilege?
Well In our world. no, but in all forms of motorsports, budget is king, all the way up to F1.

Riders will have personal backers, its nothing new, Eric Geboers had Isboerke ice cream as a personal sponsor for a long time , I believe, and as sport moves from a paying gate , to a paying audience on TV, monetizing that gate to the riders is more and more difficult.

Leiber to Factory Kawasaki and Bogers to Factory Honda both have a tinge of payola about them.. neither of them has challenged for the MX2 crown , yet here they are in a top line team in MX1.

Robgvx
9/25/2017 4:33am
philG wrote:
Well In our world. no, but in all forms of motorsports, budget is king, all the way up to F1. Riders will have personal backers, its...
Well In our world. no, but in all forms of motorsports, budget is king, all the way up to F1.

Riders will have personal backers, its nothing new, Eric Geboers had Isboerke ice cream as a personal sponsor for a long time , I believe, and as sport moves from a paying gate , to a paying audience on TV, monetizing that gate to the riders is more and more difficult.

Leiber to Factory Kawasaki and Bogers to Factory Honda both have a tinge of payola about them.. neither of them has challenged for the MX2 crown , yet here they are in a top line team in MX1.

But I suspect Eric was pocketing that cash rather than handing it over to HRC. But it is what it is.

The Shop

9/25/2017 5:23am
Robgvx wrote:
Are you really a factory rider if you've paid for the privilege?
Your question is wrong-

Yes, you're a factory rider if you're riding machinery supplied, paid for or supported by the manufacturer.

Your question should be:- are you really a PROFESSIONAL rider if you've paid for the privilege.
philG
9/25/2017 5:24am
Robgvx wrote:
But I suspect Eric was pocketing that cash rather than handing it over to HRC. But it is what it is.
Yes ,almost certainly , but it that any different than riding for free and taking the cash from your own sponsor,

We had a beer with Eric in the beer tent at Lommel last year , he just rocked up and sat with us, as he knew the guys I was with , and enjoyed a good drink with the boys, hood up to avoid easy recognition, was as pleasant an hour as you could wish for.

Robgvx
9/25/2017 7:19am
philG wrote:
Yes ,almost certainly , but it that any different than riding for free and taking the cash from your own sponsor, We had a beer with...
Yes ,almost certainly , but it that any different than riding for free and taking the cash from your own sponsor,

We had a beer with Eric in the beer tent at Lommel last year , he just rocked up and sat with us, as he knew the guys I was with , and enjoyed a good drink with the boys, hood up to avoid easy recognition, was as pleasant an hour as you could wish for.

Check you out! - hob-nobbing with former GP stars!
philG
9/25/2017 7:50am
Robgvx wrote:
Check you out! - hob-nobbing with former GP stars!
Well you are either in the know or you aren't LOL. ..
NorCal 50+
9/25/2017 9:00am
How long until Suzuki's lawyers give Mr. Beiber a call? I am pretty sure you can't take a company's logo, put it on a shirt and sell it!
kkawboy14
9/25/2017 11:01am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
How long until Suzuki's lawyers give Mr. Beiber a call? I am pretty sure you can't take a company's logo, put it on a shirt and...
How long until Suzuki's lawyers give Mr. Beiber a call? I am pretty sure you can't take a company's logo, put it on a shirt and sell it!
Not really the same

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
9/25/2017 3:15pm
This isn't an issue unique to one brand, or one motorsport.

Look at Danica Patrick, Matt Kenseth, and Kurt Busch looking for seats in next year's NASCAR season...all predicated on the teams finding new sponsorship funding.

Or look at NASCAR's team charter system...where there were a limited number available...and some teams are starting to jettison charters that they don't need/can't use.

Or look at crowd counts at some formerly big events...
kkawboy14
9/25/2017 3:53pm
GuyB wrote:
This isn't an issue unique to one brand, or one motorsport. Look at Danica Patrick, Matt Kenseth, and Kurt Busch looking for seats in next year's...
This isn't an issue unique to one brand, or one motorsport.

Look at Danica Patrick, Matt Kenseth, and Kurt Busch looking for seats in next year's NASCAR season...all predicated on the teams finding new sponsorship funding.

Or look at NASCAR's team charter system...where there were a limited number available...and some teams are starting to jettison charters that they don't need/can't use.

Or look at crowd counts at some formerly big events...
Man the SF49ers can't even find fans to fill up that new stadium!
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
9/25/2017 5:43pm
According to speedweek it looks like Lawrence and Vaessen are going to ride for a new Honda team by Giacomo Gariboldi.
Financial support from daddy Vaessen and technical support from Geico

Post a reply to: Latest Rumor/Fact: No Suzuki Factory Team in MXGP and MX2 for 2018

The Latest