New years mx resolution

Related:
Create New Tag

12/31/2018 8:35 PM

Hi all, I started a thread a long time ago asking if anyone owed their health to moto. Usually when you think about motocross and health, injuries come to mind... Anyone who's spent any amount of time on dirtbikes had surely had their fair share of them.

But when I ask the question, I mean are there any of you riders that WERE or ARE overweight and owe your fitness to motocross. Would you be a total chunker if it werent specifically for your love of motocross and the dedication to fitness it takes. Most of us have come back to riding after an injury, school, getting married, deployment or whatever reason and quickly found out that fitness fades quickly (we see it with the pros all the time). They race back into shape etc.

I'm 6 ft tall and was 374 lbs at my highest and am down to 255lbs now, was 229 (my lowest) just a month ago and I hate the feeling of gaining the weight back so im reaching out for support, are there any trainers in here willing to work with me remotely? More than anything I need someone helping me stay on track and staying ACCOUNTABLE. Im ready to get back to work and make this a permanent lifestyle change so I can feel better and can ride longer and more often. I was even contemplating ddp yoga, p90x or beachbodyondemand like my sister has done...any and all advice/criticism is welcome.

Kyle

Photo

|

It aint nothing but a little bit of this and a little bit of Braaaap!!!

12/31/2018 8:56 PM

First, let me congratulate you for what you have already accomplished. You are making changes in your life and while it will most certainly help you in MX, it will help you by far more in life and in general overall health. I want to encourage you to keep going. I'm not a trainer, and I'm not in perfect shape myself but I've been in "good" shape almost all my life. It comes from a lifestyle, not a diet. I'm not trying to be a professional body builder or Pro MXer. I'm trying to be in shape, life a long happy life and take care of myself to spend time with my wife, kids, and future grand-kids. I have a couple of rules to follow that have helped me and they are pretty simple to remember and follow. Over 95% of the battle is diet related. Exercise is great, but diet is the key.

1) Don't drink calories - this goes for soda, beer, latte's, smoothies, shakes, coffee with sugars, alcohol, etc. A few adult drinks here or there won't hurt you as long as you follow rule #2.
2) Don't consume more than 100 grams of carbs a day
3) No cheat days - alcoholics and drug addicts don't get binge days on their birthdays or on holidays. If you want to have birthday cake, that's fine. Just make sure you stay under 100 grams of carbs for the day whcih means really watching the other things you eat that day.
4) No snacks or meals after 6 PM

Following #2 will force you to eat things that are more healthy and even fruits and vegetables have carbs, so this will also force you to limit total daily caloric intake. It pretty much forces you to cut out processed sugars, etc. But if you want a piece of toast with your breakfast, it's not going to kill your daily diet. If you want desert, just make sure you eat lean the rest of the day.

Just hoping to help give you some advice that can make a lifestyle change more doable. It's nearly all diet related.

|

1/1/2019 1:11 AM

What do you struggle most with? Is it overeating, bad foods, beer? I’ve seen people get noticeable results just by cutting out the sodas

|

1/1/2019 3:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2019 6:07 AM

Dmxs radio. If your not into podcast, give it a listen on the drive to work. Dmxs has coach Rob on alot, he is a performance coach. They are up to 24 episodes, but if you go and listen to the first 8 or so, he shares a ton of good entry level info on getting back on track.

The above nutrition info is a good starting point by tbones. I would also suggest using a heart rate monitor when working out. Alot of people go way to hard thinking the harder they go the more fat they burn, exact opposite.

|

1/1/2019 5:27 AM

stangkag wrote:

Hi all, I started a thread a long time ago asking if anyone owed their health to moto. Usually when you think about motocross and health, injuries come to mind... Anyone who's spent any amount of time on dirtbikes had surely had their fair share of them.

But when I ask the question, I mean are there any of you riders that WERE or ARE overweight and owe your fitness to motocross. Would you be a total chunker if it werent specifically for your love of motocross and the dedication to fitness it takes. Most of us have come back to riding after an injury, school, getting married, deployment or whatever reason and quickly found out that fitness fades quickly (we see it with the pros all the time). They race back into shape etc.

I'm 6 ft tall and was 374 lbs at my highest and am down to 255lbs now, was 229 (my lowest) just a month ago and I hate the feeling of gaining the weight back so im reaching out for support, are there any trainers in here willing to work with me remotely? More than anything I need someone helping me stay on track and staying ACCOUNTABLE. Im ready to get back to work and make this a permanent lifestyle change so I can feel better and can ride longer and more often. I was even contemplating ddp yoga, p90x or beachbodyondemand like my sister has done...any and all advice/criticism is welcome.

Kyle

Photo

I took a little bit of time off from riding simply because there hasn’t been anywhere to ride. It was a great way to stay fit for me since I work in an office all day. Planning to get back at riding consistently this year. Hoping to drop a few lbs on the way.

As for beach body and p90x, those are no joke. If are still 250lbs some of that jumping around may be a little extreme. All depends on how agile you are. Be prepared to be sore for a few days after those workouts. Good luck to you buddy!

|

1/1/2019 5:32 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2019 7:28 AM

Congrats!

I changed my diet to LCHF about 2 months ago and i could not be happier with the results. It's also a very easy diet to stick to in my opinion. The only thing i miss is beer and drinks. Other than that, nothing.

I actually had a cheat day once and eat a whole pizza. I felt physically horrible the next day. Nothing in me makes me want to eat food like that again.

|

1/1/2019 5:35 AM

You could probably kick off a 2019 weight loss thread on here an get everyone whose in the same boat as you to post up and hold each other accountable. Has worked well on another forum i'm on.

|

1/1/2019 6:44 AM

I'm not a health coach but just wanted to encourage you. I've seen a lot of people lose an incredible amount of weight, and you can do it too. Set your sights high, be honest with yourself about your weaknesses, start small but aim high. Remind yourself constantly of what the end goal is.

A friend of mind did something cool 2 years ago right at this time, so I'll share his approach.

First, he adopted a different mentality. He told himself that this isn't going to be an 8 lap heat race, it's going to be more like a 3 hour GNCC. The most important thing is to "stay in the race". Don't give up. Think of your diet and exercise plan like the lines you gotta hit every lap. The best racers aren't out there thinking about the championship, or even how much longer the race is. They're focused on hitting their next line according to plan, lap after lap.

Then he created a 17 round "race series" for his fitness. Every Supercross race weekend, he would race himself in something (usually on the rowing machine or stationary bike), and during the week, he approached it like he was training for supercross. Then in May, when he won the "championship" because he met his goals, he rewarded himself with a new 250X.

|

1/1/2019 7:38 AM

Congrats to you, Dude- Keep it up! Moto is the prime reason I manage to suppress that
350 lb.guy that lives inside of me.....(whatever works, right???) This year I had to lay off
riding/racing for about 5 months, & getting back my fitness base at 62 years old really sucks,
especially when my goal is to compete with +60 experts......I'd really like to get myself set up
with a work out routine that I can do at home, with no expensive, complicated equipment, that
is tailored to give me the best results for the time/effort spent. To that end, I've been looking at
Coach Robb youtube clips myself, but I'm definitely open to suggestions-

|

1/1/2019 8:17 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2019 8:18 AM

When i lost 50lbs, the biggest thing is to only keep healthy food in the house. No temptations allowed.

Meats: canned tuna, chicken breast, turkey breast, sirloin steak

Veggies: whatever you want. You cant have enough. Broccoli is what i usually eat.

Carbs: rice or potatoes. Absolutely no bread or pasta

Drinks: low fat milk and water

Supps: creatine & protein

One of my fav snacks is parfait. Take some oats, fresh berries and some oikos triple zero yogurt and mix it up.

Use my fitness pal from under armour. Track what you eat the best you can. Stay within your macros.

Lastly, you need to have foods that satisfy your craving for cheating. Halo top ice cream and the pairfait i mentioned earlier do a great job at this.

|

1/1/2019 9:15 AM

My bikes are my exercise machines.

|

1/1/2019 9:28 AM

Well done ok your effort so far.

People really do make weight loss complicated.

It’s about calorie deficit. So just work our your maintenance calories (can do this online) then just knock 100 or whatever you would like per day. Keep it realistic I’d go for 100 and it’s more sustainable. You don’t have to eat amazing, try pack a lot of protein in your meals, chicken etc. Fizzy drinks are bad, don’t have too many carbs. Just make small tweaks to your diet you will soon see a difference.

Good luck and keep us posted.

|

1/1/2019 9:44 AM

Markee wrote:

Dmxs radio. If your not into podcast, give it a listen on the drive to work. Dmxs has coach Rob on alot, he is a performance coach. They are up to 24 episodes, but if you go and listen to the first 8 or so, he shares a ton of good entry level info on getting back on track.

The above nutrition info is a good starting point by tbones. I would also suggest using a heart rate monitor when working out. Alot of people go way to hard thinking the harder they go the more fat they burn, exact opposite.

I second this. Coach Robb is an excellent listen. I like how he focuses on the building blocks of health and wellness. If you don't have basic things in place like proper hydration, quality sleep, and eating clean whole foods then whatever performance plan you chase after isn't going to be very beneficial.

|

1/1/2019 9:45 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Congrats!

I changed my diet to LCHF about 2 months ago and i could not be happier with the results. It's also a very easy diet to stick to in my opinion. The only thing i miss is beer and drinks. Other than that, nothing.

I actually had a cheat day once and eat a whole pizza. I felt physically horrible the next day. Nothing in me makes me want to eat food like that again.

What is LCHF?

|

1/1/2019 9:46 AM

Motofinne wrote:

Congrats!

Tarz483 wrote:

What is LCHF?

Low Carb High Fat

|

1/1/2019 9:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/1/2019 9:59 AM

1983YZ125 wrote:

You could probably kick off a 2019 weight loss thread on here an get everyone whose in the same boat as you to post up and hold each other accountable. Has worked well on another forum i'm on.

I would be down for this.
Thanks motofinne, i have been listening to coach Robb
Also and i think he is extremely smart.

|

1/1/2019 9:58 AM

Call Debra at MXSN. She is the Nutritionist at ClubMX and has worked with the most of the guys on TV including Osborne, Brayton, Alex Martin, McElrath and so on. She will hold you accountable. No doubt. She held me accountable for doing just this thing

She has so many things to offer from remote scanning of your body to nutritional plans and when/what to eat. It's not about grinding miles
out.

DebraMeszaros.com. go to the website and find all info on there.

|

Older and YZer!!!

1/1/2019 10:40 PM

honda907 wrote:

Call Debra at MXSN. She is the Nutritionist at ClubMX and has worked with the most of the guys on TV including Osborne, Brayton, Alex Martin, McElrath and so on. She will hold you accountable. No doubt. She held me accountable for doing just this thing

She has so many things to offer from remote scanning of your body to nutritional plans and when/what to eat. It's not about grinding miles
out.

DebraMeszaros.com. go to the website and find all info on there.

First off thank you to everyone so far for the positive feedback and advice! Ill be looking into all of these options to see which one works best for me!

I will also post a weight loss accountability thread later and try to figure out how to make it interactive and engaging for others to join in.

I have signed up for My Fitness Pal and downloaded the app to my phone, today 1/1/19 is the first day so naturally the most difficult but I made great choices all day and hope to get that accountability coach or following I need soon to help things keep chugging along.

I also bought a KX 125 a couple weeks ago and plan to use this as a training tool, I need to get the suspension figured out for sure. I just started a new job today hauling coal from CO to WY every night (graveyard shift) so riding will only happen on my days off and its currently -19 degrees here where I live but I'm determined one way or another to make this work...It has to, no more damn excuses from myself.

Thanks again for the support Vital

|

1/2/2019 10:10 AM

My fitness pal is great! Make sure to put EVERYTHING in it. Remember, you can open the app, scan the barcode and automatically log the food. You can also set up meals to make inputting info easy. For instance, if you eat a turkey sandwich, wheat bread, lettuce tomato mustard, carrots, and an apple everyday for lunch, you can make that "meal" and then just hit that meal for the day. It makes inputting calories super easy. My advise, Drink water, more than you every possibly imagined.

My favorite saying:

Every meal is not a banquet!

|

"Hope is not a strategy"

1/2/2019 12:38 PM

My fitness pal is awesome. It really put in perspective of where I was eating the wrong things and how often. Logging what you eat adds a bit of accountability for sure lol really got me to pay attention to what goes in the body

Congrats on the bike too the suspension on these older kyb equipped bikes is pretty easy and straight forward I always do RT springs and run a bit more oil than stock being 220+ myself

happy new year!

|

1/2/2019 2:09 PM

Just a vote of confidence here and no specific advice, other than this: keep your head in the game and stick to whatever your plan is. No diet or exercise plan will help if you give up on it in February.

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

1/8/2019 4:31 AM

Spudnut wrote:

My fitness pal is awesome. It really put in perspective of where I was eating the wrong things and how often. Logging what you eat adds a bit of accountability for sure lol really got me to pay attention to what goes in the body

Congrats on the bike too the suspension on these older kyb equipped bikes is pretty easy and straight forward I always do RT springs and run a bit more oil than stock being 220+ myself

happy new year!

Hey guys I have listened to the advice and started using my fitness pal. Ive gone from 255lbs to 242lbs this week. I havent had any soda, candy or bs except one serving (3 pcs) of red licorice mid week which I entered into the app, ive measured my portions all week long and can definitely tell its caused me to think more about what i put into my body.

Problem is that the app gives me a ton of data but I dont know what any of it means or what to change going forward. Ive just made a concious decision to eat cleaner and smaller portions, its working but i feel like if I knew how to read the data and how to adjust the diet for optimization id do much better. Right now its all guess work, can anyone interpret how I did this first week? Thanks Kyle

Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

1/8/2019 6:34 AM

good work. data can be overwhelming. main things i'd focus on:

1) calorie intake. intake less, burn more, lose more (oversimplified, but accurate):

Photo

2) macros (fat/carb/protein distribution across those calories):

Photo

3) meal distribution (when those calories are eaten):

Photo

|

1/8/2019 7:30 AM

This video changed my life.

|

1/8/2019 2:29 PM

The_Diablo wrote:

This video changed my life.

Watched the entire thing. So are you 100% carnivore diet too or what are you doing?

|

1/8/2019 2:54 PM

stangkag wrote:

Watched the entire thing. So are you 100% carnivore diet too or what are you doing?

Yes, for the most part. Typical day is 4 eggs and bacon for lunch and a ribeye for dinner. If I am still hungry I will eat some more eggs or bacon or sausage. It took about a week for my body to adjust to this diet. The amount of energy you have is crazy, and I am never hungry. Traveling is tough though. Its hard finding stuff to eat when the family wants to go to wendy's or mcdonalds.

|

1/8/2019 4:54 PM

Motofinne wrote:

Congrats!

I'm loving the LCHF diet. I feel better than ever. Haven't lost any weight because i'm still consuming 2000 calories a day on an average. But WOW, do I feel better than being on a High Protein, Low Fat, Low carb diet.

|

My favorite rider is K.C Carlyle