New vehicle, van or truck for DD.

Yeti365
Looking for a new moto and camping friendly vehicle.

Probably gonna get another Tacoma, but wouldn't mind a small van but I don't really see them in manual transmission which is a huge deal breaker for me.

Anyone here have experience with any reliable small box vans that get at least 20mpg? It'd be my daily driver as well.

Trying to find a new ride for $15k or under that doesn't have psychotic mileage.

Stick with trucks or are there vans out there with a manual I'm not aware of?
|
jingram4
Fantasy
3204th
4/25/2019 8:09am
trucks are more diverse and useful when your not hauling your bike to the track. And a mini enclosed trailer can be used for camping.
4/25/2019 8:35am
If a manual is a dealbreaker (and not sure why), I think you are mostly out of the van market.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1117th
4/25/2019 9:58am
Expected pictures of Diana Dahlgren with several different vehicles. Disappointed. Wink

That said, the last manual transmission van in the US I saw was a mid 80's Dodge Caravan.
Yeti365
4/26/2019 12:07am
If a manual is a dealbreaker (and not sure why), I think you are mostly out of the van market.
Honestly, I just prefer them. Not as much wiring, more reliable, lighter, better fuel economy, cheaper to maintain, most I can work on myself, better control over what gear I want to be in and how I expect the vehicle to handle. Just personal preference.

Probably just gonna snag a Tacoma. I have zero knowledge of vans so I had no clue what to look for on the market.

I do appreciate the input. Just seeing if there happened to be something like that out there I wasn't aware of.

The Shop

fourfourone
4/26/2019 5:57am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 5:58am
why the hell would you want to daily drive a work van if you don't have to.
4/26/2019 6:05am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 6:24am
Yeti365 wrote:
Honestly, I just prefer them. Not as much wiring, more reliable, lighter, better fuel economy, cheaper to maintain, most I can work on myself, better control...
Honestly, I just prefer them. Not as much wiring, more reliable, lighter, better fuel economy, cheaper to maintain, most I can work on myself, better control over what gear I want to be in and how I expect the vehicle to handle. Just personal preference.

Probably just gonna snag a Tacoma. I have zero knowledge of vans so I had no clue what to look for on the market.

I do appreciate the input. Just seeing if there happened to be something like that out there I wasn't aware of.
Modern automatics get better mileage and have just as much control over what gear you want to be in. Example: for the Tacoma, posted fuel economy is about 2 mpg worse with the manual option.
4/26/2019 6:31am
jingram4 wrote:
trucks are more diverse and useful when your not hauling your bike to the track. And a mini enclosed trailer can be used for camping.
After 3 trucks i bought a van.
The van is by far more useful than a truck.
49weasel
4/26/2019 6:34am
why the hell would you want to daily drive a work van if you don't have to.
Personally I loved driving my Transit 250 everyday. The van drove like a midsize car and I averaged 18-20 mpg loaded. It was blacked out and I kept is super clean. I would get more complements and "that thing is cool" than any other truck or car I've owned.
Sadly it was in the service department more than I liked. Blew up at 416 miles and I constantly had issues with the doors.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
617th
4/26/2019 8:00am
Expected pictures of Diana Dahlgren with several different vehicles. Disappointed. ;) That said, the last manual transmission van in the US I saw was a mid...
Expected pictures of Diana Dahlgren with several different vehicles. Disappointed. Wink

That said, the last manual transmission van in the US I saw was a mid 80's Dodge Caravan.
You sure? Ford aerostars could be had with a manual trans. Not sure on the years but Ill bet it was later than mid 80's
endurox
4/26/2019 8:35am
Mercedes Metris gets 24 highway.
RONJ OSE
4/26/2019 8:41am
ram 1500 ecodiesel
you can get good deals on used

in picked up an 18 4x4 crew with leather(bighorn) for 25 out the door 13k miles

might be worth to pay more
i get 33 a gallon highway and 26 city
4/26/2019 9:17am
Expected pictures of Diana Dahlgren with several different vehicles. Disappointed. ;) That said, the last manual transmission van in the US I saw was a mid...

Hoseclamp wrote:
You sure? Ford aerostars could be had with a manual trans. Not sure on the years but Ill bet it was later than mid 80's
Is Matt Fisher sure what the last manual van he saw was? Probably, since he was the one who saw it.
JM485
4/26/2019 10:04am
Yeti365 wrote:
Honestly, I just prefer them. Not as much wiring, more reliable, lighter, better fuel economy, cheaper to maintain, most I can work on myself, better control...

I love my sprinter but that’s my one beef with it, I freaking hate automatics!!! Damn things will get you killed with how big of a pause there is between peddle down and actual vehicle acceleration I swear.Pinch Luckily I still get my 5 speed fix with my pickup but man, this van could be off the charts perfect if it just came with a 5 or 6 speed.
sam hain
4/26/2019 10:17am
RONJ OSE wrote:
ram 1500 ecodiesel you can get good deals on used in picked up an 18 4x4 crew with leather(bighorn) for 25 out the door 13k miles...
ram 1500 ecodiesel

Might wanna be careful with those trucks, I have two riding buddies with them and both had to have new turbo's and intercoolers at 100k. One was just inside warranty the other wasn't, I think the one that had to pay forked out somewhere around 3000.
4/26/2019 10:33am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 10:41am
Yeti365 wrote:

JM485 wrote:
I love my sprinter but that’s my one beef with it, I freaking hate automatics!!! Damn things will get you killed with how big of a...
I love my sprinter but that’s my one beef with it, I freaking hate automatics!!! Damn things will get you killed with how big of a pause there is between peddle down and actual vehicle acceleration I swear.Pinch Luckily I still get my 5 speed fix with my pickup but man, this van could be off the charts perfect if it just came with a 5 or 6 speed.
Why don't you manually downshift the Sprinter, just as you would your manual? That's what the little +/- to the left and right of "D" mode are for.
RONJ OSE
4/26/2019 10:45am Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 12:06pm
RONJ OSE wrote:
ram 1500 ecodiesel you can get good deals on used in picked up an 18 4x4 crew with leather(bighorn) for 25 out the door 13k miles...
ram 1500 ecodiesel

sam hain wrote:
Might wanna be careful with those trucks, I have two riding buddies with them and both had to have new turbo's and intercoolers at 100k. One...
Might wanna be careful with those trucks, I have two riding buddies with them and both had to have new turbo's and intercoolers at 100k. One was just inside warranty the other wasn't, I think the one that had to pay forked out somewhere around 3000.
The 17 plus is good
It’s the egr is screwed I’ll do the delete when my warranty is up

also most modern diesels suck they all have emissions bull shit and the def system.

also gassers suck too we have 2 eco boosts in the fleet and we have done 2 turbos on them and a new differential

and we had a ram 6.4 that blew a egr too

Op the best truck you can go for is a eco or a cummins( manual trans) in the 2500 (20mpg) with the 6.4 bed huge rebates on the 18's with 1 percent financing with a 650 or above.

also i havent seen a manual in a van ever and its been 10 years scene i saw one in a 1500
JM485
4/26/2019 12:42pm
Yeti365 wrote:

JM485 wrote:
I love my sprinter but that’s my one beef with it, I freaking hate automatics!!! Damn things will get you killed with how big of a...
Why don't you manually downshift the Sprinter, just as you would your manual? That's what the little +/- to the left and right of "D" mode...
Why don't you manually downshift the Sprinter, just as you would your manual? That's what the little +/- to the left and right of "D" mode are for.
I know, but you still have a huge pause and disconnected feel compared to a manual. I’m honestly probably hyper sensitive to it because I’m coming from a Toyota pickup with a 5 speed, cable throttle, and manual steering, so I’m used to being completely connected to everything going on. Even on higher performance cars with fly by wire I still don’t feel as connected or that the response is there.
4/26/2019 12:46pm
JM485 wrote:
Why don't you manually downshift the Sprinter, just as you would your manual? That's what the little +/- to the left and right of "D" mode...
JM485 wrote:
I know, but you still have a huge pause and disconnected feel compared to a manual. I’m honestly probably hyper sensitive to it because I’m coming...
I know, but you still have a huge pause and disconnected feel compared to a manual. I’m honestly probably hyper sensitive to it because I’m coming from a Toyota pickup with a 5 speed, cable throttle, and manual steering, so I’m used to being completely connected to everything going on. Even on higher performance cars with fly by wire I still don’t feel as connected or that the response is there.
Response time on electronic shifting is typically much faster than manual on modern designs. Maybe it feels slower, but seldom is when measured.
yz133rider
4/26/2019 2:22pm
JM485 wrote:
I know, but you still have a huge pause and disconnected feel compared to a manual. I’m honestly probably hyper sensitive to it because I’m coming...
Response time on electronic shifting is typically much faster than manual on modern designs. Maybe it feels slower, but seldom is when measured.
Actual gear change sure but not from when it should have shifted compared to when it actually shifts.
4/26/2019 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 4/26/2019 2:34pm
JM485 wrote:
yz133rider wrote:
Actual gear change sure but not from when it should have shifted compared to when it actually shifts.
I am suggesting using the manual electronic shifting feature if the economy-tuned factory automatic setting is too mild for him.
yz133rider
4/26/2019 2:33pm
yz133rider wrote:
I am suggesting using the manual electronic shifting feature if the economy-tuned factory automatic setting is too mild for him.
Thats a solution for sure. Im not really in this argument but manuals to me just really are better overall. Greater control, last much longer, cheaper if something does go wrong which just about never does etc etc.

Shame more demand isnt there because they are just about extinct.
Yeti365
4/26/2019 4:57pm
As much as I hate autos, I have been looking into Tundras. People seem to love them, they last and fuel economy isn't too different than a v6 Tacoma.

Post a reply to: New vehicle, van or truck for DD.

The Latest