New(used) Truck/Vehicle Hauler.. need recommendations

StevenMX
Edited Date/Time 6/12/2021 7:43am
So my current vehicle (car that hauled with small trailer) that I was using to take my dirtbike to the track was just totaled by a drunk driver (hit my parked car at home)... Needless to say looks like I'll be needing a new toy hauler and I was eyeing a truck as the most viable/easy option. I've never had a car payment in my life and I'll see how insurance shakes out the whole process but for now, need something to get to the track.

I only transport my bike, maybe bring a friend along (so 2 bikes tops)....
I don't need anything massive for a trailer or camping, etc. Just literally take my bike to the track and back. So good MPG would also be nice. Lastly, currently in process of going to Australia here soon, so I wasn't looking to buy (especially in this market)... but realistically may only own this car for <1 year. So resale value/ or if I buy/lease new, I'm open to all options, hopefully of which doesn't lose too much value.

Looking for suggestions, feedback...

Ford Ranger? Toyota Tacoma prerunner? Nissan Frontier? I'm all ears and curious how you would go about it...

Thanks

|
KMC440
6/9/2021 3:35am
We used a civic pulling a 5x8 utility trailer for a while ... just don't use 5th in a manual.
Basically what I'm saying is stay within your means.
As long as you get there safely and comfortably that's all that matters.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
6/9/2021 5:01am
Trucks are hard to find right now so super expensive. I think you are going to have to look around and see what you can find. Jeep Gladiators seems to be readily available new so they may not have seen the crazy price increases other vehicles have. If you want something cheaper just look around for a good deal on whatever unpopular vehicle you can find. 2wd base model full size trucks were relatively cheap over the last few years but probably not right now.

You are buying in a high market for sure. It could go up more, it could crash, it could be stable for a couple of years. We are in uncharted water here much like with bike sales.
Timo
6/9/2021 5:11am
After owning an enclosed trailer for the last 2 months I'm never going back to a truck. It's low to the ground so easy loading, and you can't tell what's in it so it's more secure than the back of a truck. Plus you don't have to unload it, I just park it in my backyard and leave it for the next trip. It's also bigger than a pickup bed, so when I run to the hardware store and buy stuff I don't have to worry about it possibly blowing or falling out of the truck bed. Tools and spare parts also just stay in it, ready if needed. I pull it with my 14 year old explorer, no $50,000+ 36 inch tire on 18 inch rims needed. You can find a good low milage tow rig plus a trailer for less than $15,000 if you look.
wrc777
Fantasy
783rd
6/9/2021 6:23am
An enclosed trailer is nice unless you are traveling a lot of miles. Then the 8-9 mpg hwy mileage is a killer. Like most things prices are way up on those trailers right now too.

The Shop

Hollywood009
Fantasy
1232nd
6/9/2021 8:12am
first gen Tundras, 6ft bed, decent gas mileage for a v8, yet very reliable. can be had for a lot less then a tacoma, and you will have no problem selling it.
kb228
6/9/2021 8:40am
Ford ranger bro
TeamGreen
6/9/2021 9:43am
Damn, brother, you're in a very tricky market right now...supply-n-demand is working against ya at the moment. Also, seein' as you're "outta here" before too long...?

I'd get something just to get by...or...get VERY creative and find something in smaller markets...outside of P-Town...and shop your ass off until you find something worth buying.

Good Luck!
Timo
6/9/2021 10:41am
wrc777 wrote:
An enclosed trailer is nice unless you are traveling a lot of miles. Then the 8-9 mpg hwy mileage is a killer. Like most things prices...
An enclosed trailer is nice unless you are traveling a lot of miles. Then the 8-9 mpg hwy mileage is a killer. Like most things prices are way up on those trailers right now too.
If I'm going overnight anywhere I'm taking the motorhome, the trailer has almost no effect on fuel mileage. When I had a ranger with the old 4.0 I could get 21mpg, then I got a newer one with the OHC 4.0, it only got 18mpg. Then I got a V8 and average 14mpg, so the 9mpg doesn't make a big enough difference to offset the convenience of an enclosed trailer. Sometimes I get to pull it with my work van, it has an 3.5 ecoboost, and it actually gets 12mpg pulling which surprised me.
kNewc
6/9/2021 10:48am
kb228 wrote:
Ford ranger bro
I love mine. I want a newer one (in the old bodystyle) but wife is set on 4-doors.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
6/9/2021 10:56am
Don't over pay and watch your interest rate!! Check out the chevy colorado/ gmc canyon. It's a reasonably priced modern truck. They are fun to drive and much nicer than a tacoma or frontier on the inside.

Most tacoma owners I know are women.
StevenMX
6/9/2021 11:31am
Appreciate the responses... no trailer for me (given I live nearby in city so space is something) and with the move to Australia coming up trying to keep things minimal when it does happen.

I'll do some searching for used Rangers, Tundra's and Colorado/Canyons see what I can find. Definitely not paying high interest charges in any finance deal if it goes that route. I'll most likely just buy the truck outright and look to resell.

I typically go to the tracks around here which are anywhere from 30 min to 1hr (1-1/2hrs away)... Washougal, Mountain View, Albany, Riverdale etc. and just come home. I'm lucky to be working remotely indefinitely right now with my work so needing it for the daily commute at this time is not required.
StevenMX
6/9/2021 10:08pm
It's not out of the question for sure...
FWYT
6/9/2021 10:16pm
Cheap, reliable bike hauler that you just need for a year . . .
I'd be looking at an old Toyota truck. Would get the job done and you'd be
able to easily sell it for probably what you bought it for.

Motodave15
6/10/2021 4:21pm
GMC Canyon, Thats what i just got a 2017 with 24k miles on it for 27k otd.... Not too bad at all considering the market, especially out here in cali..

look at ford transit vans as well... that was my next step if i couldn't find a truck.
Motodave15
6/10/2021 4:25pm
skeef wrote:
Don't over pay and watch your interest rate!! Check out the chevy colorado/ gmc canyon. It's a reasonably priced modern truck. They are fun to drive...
Don't over pay and watch your interest rate!! Check out the chevy colorado/ gmc canyon. It's a reasonably priced modern truck. They are fun to drive and much nicer than a tacoma or frontier on the inside.

Most tacoma owners I know are women.
No Man wants to drive a taco.. we only like to eat the tacos!! TongueWoohoo (double entendre, for the uninitiated)
Motodave15
6/10/2021 4:25pm
Ford maverick
Traffic, traffic lookin' fo my chapstick, feelin' kinda car sick, there's a Ford Maverick.
TeamGreen
6/10/2021 4:29pm
Motodave15 wrote:
GMC Canyon, Thats what i just got a 2017 with 24k miles on it for 27k otd.... Not too bad at all considering the market, especially...
GMC Canyon, Thats what i just got a 2017 with 24k miles on it for 27k otd.... Not too bad at all considering the market, especially out here in cali..

look at ford transit vans as well... that was my next step if i couldn't find a truck.
I wonder what I can get for my 2018 ZR2 Crew with 70K miles...?
She's got all the goodies, too.

Then there's my 2012 Silverado that's got 208,000 miles on it and I can't get myself to sell it. It's been to good of a truck to me.
Motodave15
6/10/2021 4:46pm
Motodave15 wrote:
GMC Canyon, Thats what i just got a 2017 with 24k miles on it for 27k otd.... Not too bad at all considering the market, especially...

TeamGreen wrote:
I wonder what I can get for my 2018 ZR2 Crew with 70K miles...? She's got all the goodies, too. Then there's my 2012 Silverado that's...

Then there's my 2012 Silverado that's got 208,000 miles on it and I can't get myself to sell it. It's been to good of a truck to me.
That ZR2 Will get close to top bluebook value dude. especially out here.. idk if you looked at truck sales but the numbers are stupid...40k +... for 2018 + trucks

TeamGreen
6/10/2021 5:18pm
Motodave15 wrote:

TeamGreen wrote:
I wonder what I can get for my 2018 ZR2 Crew with 70K miles...? She's got all the goodies, too. Then there's my 2012 Silverado that's...

Motodave15 wrote:
That ZR2 Will get close to top bluebook value dude. especially out here.. idk if you looked at truck sales but the numbers are stupid...40k +...
That ZR2 Will get close to top bluebook value dude. especially out here.. idk if you looked at truck sales but the numbers are stupid...40k +... for 2018 + trucks

I guess it's time to sell'em...I'll look for some genuine moto-folk and make some decent deals.

sandhills
6/10/2021 9:05pm
FWYT wrote:
Cheap, reliable bike hauler that you just need for a year . . . I'd be looking at an old Toyota truck. Would get the job...
Cheap, reliable bike hauler that you just need for a year . . .
I'd be looking at an old Toyota truck. Would get the job done and you'd be
able to easily sell it for probably what you bought it for.

Right now you'll be paying more than the last guy bought it for though for a used Tacoma.
ccullins
6/12/2021 7:43am
StevenMX wrote:
After having trucks all my life I got my first van a few years ago. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner!

Everything is inside out of the weather, don’t have to worry about theft when you stop to eat or something. Plus it’s much more convenient to pack. I also like the fact that when I get home late I don’t have to unload the bike, I can just take care of it tomorrow.

Even for none motorcycle stuff a van is super nice!
basslips
Fantasy
2143rd
6/12/2021 8:17am
Vans are really overpriced right now in the PNW unless you look for a low roof transit, and even those are more than I paid for a low mile mid roof two years ago. Have you considered a smaller car/suv? I know a guy that that pulls a three rail trailer with a VW Jetta. Gets 30+ mpg and tons of room as its a hatchback.

TeamGreen
6/12/2021 8:18am
StevenMX wrote:
ccullins wrote:
After having trucks all my life I got my first van a few years ago. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner! Everything is inside out...
After having trucks all my life I got my first van a few years ago. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner!

Everything is inside out of the weather, don’t have to worry about theft when you stop to eat or something. Plus it’s much more convenient to pack. I also like the fact that when I get home late I don’t have to unload the bike, I can just take care of it tomorrow.

Vans rule. Got my 1st van at the beginning of The COVID Madness a day after I caught a homelss dude trying to walk off with one of my Astars. A Ford Transit Mid-Roof.

I should've got van 40 years ago.
basslips
Fantasy
2143rd
6/12/2021 8:32am
StevenMX wrote:
ccullins wrote:
After having trucks all my life I got my first van a few years ago. Kicking myself for not doing it sooner! Everything is inside out...

TeamGreen wrote:
Vans rule. Got my 1st van at the beginning of The COVID Madness a day after I caught a homelss dude trying to walk off with...
Vans rule. Got my 1st van at the beginning of The COVID Madness a day after I caught a homelss dude trying to walk off with one of my Astars. A Ford Transit Mid-Roof.

I should've got van 40 years ago.
I'll second that! Have had pickups my whole life. Went enclosed trailer route about 5 years ago and thought that was next level. May of last year I finally picked up a new extended Sprinter since we were able to finance it at 0%. It took a few months to do a mild build on it and it's setup for moto and riding MTB' but now I can't imagine not having it. My trailer pretty much sits now as we use the van for local ride days as well as riding bicycles locally.

Thinking about now setting the trailer up as more of a "camper" with a few more creature comforts like a shitter and shower for longer camping trips. Best of both worlds maybe.

Post a reply to: New(used) Truck/Vehicle Hauler.. need recommendations

The Latest