New tuff-block cover tech needed?

1/21/2019 3:27am
It’s only a matter of time. Emig in ‘97 at Indy (I was there for that one) Josh Grant at A1 in ‘09 and now Baggett...
It’s only a matter of time. Emig in ‘97 at Indy (I was there for that one) Josh Grant at A1 in ‘09 and now Baggett. I’m sure I’m forgetting some but those are just ones I remember. You’d think they would have this issue fixed
EZZA 95B wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/20/319539/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_01_21_at_12.42.01_pm.jpg[/img]

I was there. 5 years old but I remember that one!
Indy mxer
1/21/2019 4:15am
Nothing is going to be perfect. But on the other side of the coin.
How many times have we seen a rider flying off his bike and landing on a tuff block? Quite a few.
I think they've prevented guys from getting hurt many times.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
1/21/2019 9:08am
It’s only a matter of time. Emig in ‘97 at Indy (I was there for that one) Josh Grant at A1 in ‘09 and now Baggett...
It’s only a matter of time. Emig in ‘97 at Indy (I was there for that one) Josh Grant at A1 in ‘09 and now Baggett. I’m sure I’m forgetting some but those are just ones I remember. You’d think they would have this issue fixed
EZZA 95B wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/20/319539/s1200_Screen_Shot_2019_01_21_at_12.42.01_pm.jpg[/img]

2007 San Diego James Stewart too close to tough blocks hits eject button over finish line jump.

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/21/2019 9:35am
Screenprinted, made out of Nerf foam. Who cares if they last the whole series? Probably cost only a few bucks each, and Feld could sell the whole thing, kit and kaboodle, to the sponsors. The sponsor "owns" that tuff block for 5 races (or something like that.)
They could have all Monster Energy logos one weekend, and 15 different sponsors the next.

The Shop

1/21/2019 9:40am
EZZA 95B wrote:

nrosso391 wrote:
2007 San Diego James Stewart too close to tough blocks hits eject button over finish line jump.

Forgot about that one. Made me think of another time too. Minneapolis in 2013 during the heat race. I’m sure we could all think of many more times lol. They for sure help out more then they hurt
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
617th
1/21/2019 11:24am
I have no imput but reminded me of a funny story. Me and a friend on street bikes stopped at a pier at lake erie to take a break and grab a smoke. Took my hooded sweatshirt off and laid it on the passenger seat over my jacket that was bungied on. Took off and forgot about it. About a half mile down the road it was totally wrapped up in my rear sprocket and chain. Couldnt rotate the wheel so I sat on the side of the road with almost no berm and heavy traffic for what seemed like hours cutting off one small piece at a time till I could get it freed up. Funny now, sucked then.
Kanewel433
1/21/2019 11:31am
Calihusky wrote:
Maybe rather than a square shape they go with a triangle so it’s harder to catch on foot pegs and sprockets.
I'm on board with this, and like the other commenter said, I think covering all 3 sides with a zipper/velcro closure system would be a big improvement.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
1/21/2019 11:36am
EZZA 95B wrote:

nrosso391 wrote:

Forgot about that one. Made me think of another time too. Minneapolis in 2013 during the heat race. I’m sure we could all think of many...
Forgot about that one. Made me think of another time too. Minneapolis in 2013 during the heat race. I’m sure we could all think of many more times lol. They for sure help out more then they hurt
Minneapolis 13?...I only remember the 450 Main. MN had the loudest crowd for Dungey I've ever heard at a Supercross or any stadium cheering in my life!
1/21/2019 11:40am
Lets not forget about the Trey Canard/Ryan Morais incident, Canard had the cover wadded up in his rear wheel when landed on by Morais. Horrible injuries to both.
akillerwombat
1/21/2019 11:40am
Kanewel433 wrote:
I'm on board with this, and like the other commenter said, I think covering all 3 sides with a zipper/velcro closure system would be a big...
I'm on board with this, and like the other commenter said, I think covering all 3 sides with a zipper/velcro closure system would be a big improvement.
That might make them less safe for the riders who end up landing on them when they eject... which it feels like we're seeing quite often as of late (riders walking away from gnarly crashes because they land flush on a tough block). It also seems like if you shave off the sides of a tough block the riders will start using that newly created space to lean over more / get closer to the tough block.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't explore and continue to improve safety for these riders by way of tough block design but there is a threshold that no matter how "safe" we make the tough blocks the riders have to be held accountable for pushing it too hard and riding too close to the edge of the track.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
1/21/2019 11:48am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 11:49am
Calihusky wrote:
Maybe rather than a square shape they go with a triangle so it’s harder to catch on foot pegs and sprockets.
Kanewel433 wrote:
I'm on board with this, and like the other commenter said, I think covering all 3 sides with a zipper/velcro closure system would be a big...
Triangle would definitely help, right? At Least I would put the triangle ones in the corners or where the racing line gets close to the edge of the track. That way they can almost ride over the side of them without hooking it. You can lean the bike over about twice the distance compared to the square block.
Here's a comparison pic:

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/21/2019 11:56am
Landing on a triangle-shaped point from a higher altitude would be more likely to cause injury.

I have an idea, how about we ban the covers altogether? Nah, that's ad revenue. F the riders and their safety.
Kenny Lingus
1/21/2019 12:07pm
I don't see Feld going all in on another type. It's got to be a good chunk of change. Focus on placement and free or nearly free ways to keep them for going where they're not supposed to be.
1/21/2019 12:40pm
nrosso391 wrote:

Forgot about that one. Made me think of another time too. Minneapolis in 2013 during the heat race. I’m sure we could all think of many...
nrosso391 wrote:
Minneapolis 13?...I only remember the 450 Main. MN had the loudest crowd for Dungey I've ever heard at a Supercross or any stadium cheering in my...
Minneapolis 13?...I only remember the 450 Main. MN had the loudest crowd for Dungey I've ever heard at a Supercross or any stadium cheering in my life!

newmann
1/21/2019 12:41pm
I don't see Feld going all in on another type. It's got to be a good chunk of change. Focus on placement and free or nearly...
I don't see Feld going all in on another type. It's got to be a good chunk of change. Focus on placement and free or nearly free ways to keep them for going where they're not supposed to be.
You did see the part where Guy B mentioned that it requires "several" 18 wheelers to haul those from race to race and store them year after year. Something more compact and easier to handle would pay for itself in short order.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
1/21/2019 1:00pm
nrosso391 wrote:
Minneapolis 13?...I only remember the 450 Main. MN had the loudest crowd for Dungey I've ever heard at a Supercross or any stadium cheering in my...
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/01/21/319718/s1200_670D2BD2_706F_4C9F_A540_6C1A4151EB71.jpg[/img]

Thanks. Yup totally remember it now. Then pulled off in the Main for, what looked like, no reason.
akillerwombat
1/21/2019 1:05pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 1:08pm
nrosso391 wrote:
Triangle would definitely help, right? At Least I would put the triangle ones in the corners or where the racing line gets close to the edge...
Triangle would definitely help, right? At Least I would put the triangle ones in the corners or where the racing line gets close to the edge of the track. That way they can almost ride over the side of them without hooking it. You can lean the bike over about twice the distance compared to the square block.
Here's a comparison pic:

To build off this, if you give the riders an inch more of track – they're going to take that extra inch (and now extra lean angle in the corners) that will most likely result in the same situations we see now if not more as they can now get even closer to the tough blocks:

I don't see anything stopping riders from clipping tough blocks from time to time. But that said, the square shape of the tough blocks are far safer for riders who end up landing on them (hence why all crash pads are square in shape).
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
1/21/2019 1:21pm
nrosso391 wrote:
Triangle would definitely help, right? At Least I would put the triangle ones in the corners or where the racing line gets close to the edge...
Here's a comparison pic:

To build off this, if you give the riders an inch more of track – they're going to take that extra inch ([i]and now extra lean angle...
To build off this, if you give the riders an inch more of track – they're going to take that extra inch (and now extra lean angle in the corners) that will most likely result in the same situations we see now if not more as they can now get even closer to the tough blocks:

I don't see anything stopping riders from clipping tough blocks from time to time. But that said, the square shape of the tough blocks are far safer for riders who end up landing on them (hence why all crash pads are square in shape).
It would still help corners and straights where they hopefully wouldn't be flying through the air in those sections..lol. Obviously still run square blocks for jump sections and whoops. That way they have a place for a softer landing if that's where they land.
early
Fantasy
2212th
1/21/2019 1:24pm
If AC had hit a tough block instead of the dirt mound at the start of A1 main, what would the outcome have been?
MX-Files
1/21/2019 1:25pm
I only brought up this topic again to further discussion because every year, new technologies are being developed in printing, paper, plastics, foam, inflateables, etc. I love that the blocks are out there and love them even more when I see someone land on them from a big get-off and walk/ride away.

A better solution is coming or out there soon I believe.

Thanks for all comments kids!
Kenny Lingus
1/21/2019 2:12pm
I don't see Feld going all in on another type. It's got to be a good chunk of change. Focus on placement and free or nearly...
newmann wrote:
You did see the part where Guy B mentioned that it requires "several" 18 wheelers to haul those from race to race and store them year...
You did see the part where Guy B mentioned that it requires "several" 18 wheelers to haul those from race to race and store them year after year. Something more compact and easier to handle would pay for itself in short order.
Absolutely true. I would hope Feld has run the numbers and decided they can't afford it rather than not even looked into it.

Post a reply to: New tuff-block cover tech needed?

The Latest