New trend of politics in moto media that's bugging me (For Matthes, Anton, Ping, Cox, DBo, JT and whoever else...)

Piston Slap
Fantasy
2421st
7/9/2020 8:00pm
It's nearly a 50/50 divide and there's a lot of hate building on both sides. Each side is getting very annoyed by the opposing side and...
It's nearly a 50/50 divide and there's a lot of hate building on both sides. Each side is getting very annoyed by the opposing side and the hate increases every day. I know friends who've ended 10 year relationships over the recent political shit storm.

As for you guys who own businesses like Anton and Engine Ice Dave and are publishing your political views publicly, you are ballsy. You are potentially alienating 50% of your customer base with one little comment.

Thank god I was taught to never speak politics in any business environment. When it comes up at a business lunch I just zip it or deflect because nothing good can come of it.

One of my liberal friends owns a retail business and has been spouting off on social media like we do here under alias names. His business is now taking a hit and he's learned his lesson.

Note to business owners - 50% of our population is a lot of people to alienate.
EngIceDave wrote:
No, I don't do it anymore, that was my point, I can't Why I hardly post here, just occasionally in moto. I don't even read non-moto...
No, I don't do it anymore, that was my point, I can't

Why I hardly post here, just occasionally in moto.
I don't even read non-moto

I keep my personal Facebook page politics free. I don't want to read it or discuss it. If someone who's a "friend" (that word is FUBAR now due to FB and online stuff) insists on doing politics, I unfriend. I usually have to do a bunch during election years.

My personal twitter is my news feed, and I read all views and sides, but keep my thoughts off it for the most part. I don't do politics on insta either.

The company ones are 100% no politics.

I learned my lesson. I have had enough people say they'll never buy my products because of something I said on here (or online).

As I said in this thread prior, I used to be able to speak, discuss and argue on here freely, but as time has gone on and the membership, at least the participating membership on the forum, has both grown and changed (many OG's are gone), I had to stop because it was being used against me, to silence me.

I'm not playing "woah is me" here, is what it is, only discussing what the OP was discussing and how its a tough place for those in the industry. Our whole lives is moto, so when we want to discuss what's going on in the rest of the world, we can catch shit for it, either because no one wants to here the "moto guy" talking anything but moto, or because someone will take shots at your livelihood.

I had to make my own little hideaway place, with a few friends, of all kinds of opinions, to be able to speak freely, and even then it doesn't always work out as hoped.
The irony. . .

Dave, it NEVER works out as planned. . .

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/9/2020 9:31pm Edited Date/Time 7/9/2020 9:31pm
BikeGuy321 wrote:
The problem is that people can't acknowledge when their party screws up, or is being totally asinine. Like for instance, I'm a democrat because I don't...
The problem is that people can't acknowledge when their party screws up, or is being totally asinine. Like for instance, I'm a democrat because I don't believe in the rich getting richer at the expense of millions and millions of the rest of us. but I don't support the crazy, gender-identity crap the party is into, unless it's for people who were born with both male and female parts.
Why do people keep running off the cliff?
Brent
7/9/2020 10:33pm
...this is all Rich Cain’s fault.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/9/2020 10:35pm
Brent wrote:
...this is all Rich Cain’s fault.
i thought it was Carol Baskins,

The Shop

GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/9/2020 10:47pm
You know what else you don't see? Me (or any of the other Americans) talking about Australian politics...or any politics. Let's stop going there.
CR250Rider
7/9/2020 11:10pm
Heck, I was on rec.motorcycles.dirt
Way before 2005.
I used to think this place was "important" a long time ago
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
7/10/2020 2:50am
GuyB wrote:
You know what else you don't see? Me (or any of the other Americans) talking about Australian politics...or any politics. Let's stop going there.
you sort of wrong there Guy, the USA projects its influence a lot, (and so does the other super power in the world China)
EngIceDave
7/10/2020 3:00am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2020 3:04am
CR250Rider wrote:
Way before 2005.
Many of the OGs were all together online during the morning of 9-11, exchanging whatever news and information each of us was hearing.

That was back on Freshdirt, the blue board
Before that, it was a yellow board

You know, some of you may not know this, but those guys, Jess Brin (Whipmeister on here) and Mikeeep (really Jess, I believe) started FreshDirt, and they were pretty far ahead of their time.
I don't remember years, but somewhere around 95-96 maybe (?), they did the original "Livewire" broadcast of the SX races. If I remember right, MikeeeP would be on a cell phone, which had to be expensive as shit back then, and basically he would do a play by play of the races into the phone with Jess who would then type it out. You had to refresh constantly, but it was the first "live" broadcasts of supercross.

Then CycleNews started doing it, the exact same way, and if I remember right, allegedly, cycle news' owner at that time, tried to sue FD, Jess and MikeeeP.....I don't want any trouble, so if one of them see this, they can discuss that part if they wish.
I do know Cycle News has totally different staff and ownership since then

So there's some fun trivia for you.

and an idea of how long I have had no life and been on these forums
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
7/10/2020 3:38am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2020 3:39am
CR250Rider wrote:
Way before 2005.
EngIceDave wrote:
Many of the OGs were all together online during the morning of 9-11, exchanging whatever news and information each of us was hearing. That was back...
Many of the OGs were all together online during the morning of 9-11, exchanging whatever news and information each of us was hearing.

That was back on Freshdirt, the blue board
Before that, it was a yellow board

You know, some of you may not know this, but those guys, Jess Brin (Whipmeister on here) and Mikeeep (really Jess, I believe) started FreshDirt, and they were pretty far ahead of their time.
I don't remember years, but somewhere around 95-96 maybe (?), they did the original "Livewire" broadcast of the SX races. If I remember right, MikeeeP would be on a cell phone, which had to be expensive as shit back then, and basically he would do a play by play of the races into the phone with Jess who would then type it out. You had to refresh constantly, but it was the first "live" broadcasts of supercross.

Then CycleNews started doing it, the exact same way, and if I remember right, allegedly, cycle news' owner at that time, tried to sue FD, Jess and MikeeeP.....I don't want any trouble, so if one of them see this, they can discuss that part if they wish.
I do know Cycle News has totally different staff and ownership since then

So there's some fun trivia for you.

and an idea of how long I have had no life and been on these forums
I did the cyclenews livewire but didn't know about the OG. I was using a university dial-up with limited users so if it was SX night, you often got locked out and had to keep dialing hoping that someone would drop out and you could grab their spot on the world wide web. The livewire refreshing was honestly exhilarating. I look back fondly but honestly it's just the young part that was good.
EngIceDave
7/10/2020 4:47am
Jess and Mike were ahead of their time, I have and will always give them credit for that.

No one was doing the live play by play text description before they were, not nascar, no other sport, not even stick and ball (but they were on TV anyway)

It wasn't too long after, there were imitators/copy-cats, including cycle news.

It really was the wild west back then and new stuff was coming along all the time
jemcee
7/10/2020 4:53am
Why is anybody over the age of 18 still on social media? Seriously, grow the fuck up. do something useful with your time. Delete your social...
Why is anybody over the age of 18 still on social media? Seriously, grow the fuck up. do something useful with your time. Delete your social media accounts.
Gee I dunno I've got facebook to keep up with my friends, see pics from the gig they just had or went to, see pics of the trip they are on, see posts of the music they're listening to, see posts about their kids..
I've got insta for hot chicks and cool clips and pics of athletes I like..
If you're social media sucks your friends or the people you follow suck
CPR
7/10/2020 5:36am
GuyB wrote:
Hey you’re welcome to, we’ve got our own dickhead, so it’s much the same.
Except instead of ‘fake news’ we just say bullshit.
EngIceDave
7/10/2020 5:45am
jemcee wrote:
Gee I dunno I've got facebook to keep up with my friends, see pics from the gig they just had or went to, see pics of...
Gee I dunno I've got facebook to keep up with my friends, see pics from the gig they just had or went to, see pics of the trip they are on, see posts of the music they're listening to, see posts about their kids..
TikTok for hot chicks

Sometimes you might feel pervy because some seem so young, but wow, girls today weren't like that when I was that age
jemcee
7/10/2020 5:58am
jemcee wrote:
Gee I dunno I've got facebook to keep up with my friends, see pics from the gig they just had or went to, see pics of...
EngIceDave wrote:
TikTok for hot chicks

Sometimes you might feel pervy because some seem so young, but wow, girls today weren't like that when I was that age
Haha you might 'feel' pervy? Or you might be pervy? No judgement, glass houses and all that haha
No not when I was either..
Can't help but feel a little ripped off haha
SweetDaddy
7/10/2020 6:43am
How many vitards go to Fox or CNN to talk moto?

Keep politics out of all sports! We watch sports to get away from politics.

Remember how the NFL ratings dropped like a rock with the Kaepernick thing?

People that tune in to a sporting event dont want to be subjected to politics.
HuskyEd
7/10/2020 6:57am
SweetDaddy wrote:
How many vitards go to Fox or CNN to talk moto? Keep politics out of all sports! We watch sports to get away from politics. Remember...
How many vitards go to Fox or CNN to talk moto?

Keep politics out of all sports! We watch sports to get away from politics.

Remember how the NFL ratings dropped like a rock with the Kaepernick thing?

People that tune in to a sporting event dont want to be subjected to politics.
Post of the day!
TW85
7/10/2020 9:06am
I don't mind when people throw their opinion out there once in a while. I find it interesting and I like to hear different view points. Ping's twitter is the complete opposite of the right way to do it though. Was a fan but can't follow or support what he does anymore. Not that I think everything he says is wrong but it's too much.
dpingree101
7/10/2020 11:00am
Vital did a wise thing when it banned the endless toilet of political debate from a board about motocross. Now everywhere I go on Insta or...
Vital did a wise thing when it banned the endless toilet of political debate from a board about motocross. Now everywhere I go on Insta or Twitter I seem to find one another political argument going on with people in the moto industry and/or fans. I think I can speak for many when I say this sucks, it's just a downer and leads nowhere good. For one, nobody's mind is getting changed. It just creates division when someone whose moto commentary and knowledge you really enjoy turns out to be the polar opposite about politics.
To put in bluntly "I just wanna hear the motocross stuff," not because I don't respect your point of view-- I go to moto media to escape all the blather of the social media/political landscape. (I'm in a media job myself in a space far from moto and I leave my politics out of my social media, because it's my own business and nobody else's). Why not unleash on each other in group texts and keep the social media stuff social? That's how it used to be.

I get it. This is why we DO NOT discuss politics at all on The Whiskey Throttle Show. Ever. My IG is 99.9% free of it as well, but Twitter is where I voice those opinions... I've told people before to stay away from my Twitter feed if you're avoiding politics. It's the one space where I engage.
Also remember that this is an election year and things always ramp up in the months leading to November. The current political climate being what it is, there is a lot of emotion going both ways right now. At the end of the day, each person gets to decide where they interject their beliefs.... and you have the ability to unfollow.

cheers

PING

7/10/2020 11:07am
Unfortunately we live in cancel culture and opposing opinions are not welcome. The smartest thing any business man or woman can do is to keep their personal views apart from their business for obvious reasons. I think that's unfortunate too because people should be free to express their views without fear of losing their business, job, etc. I also hold the view that many of these topics need to be discussed if for nothing else other than to learn that we can have different views without disliking each other.

EngIceDave
7/10/2020 11:09am
Unfortunately we live in cancel culture and opposing opinions are not welcome. The smartest thing any business man or woman can do is to keep their...
Unfortunately we live in cancel culture and opposing opinions are not welcome. The smartest thing any business man or woman can do is to keep their personal views apart from their business for obvious reasons. I think that's unfortunate too because people should be free to express their views without fear of losing their business, job, etc. I also hold the view that many of these topics need to be discussed if for nothing else other than to learn that we can have different views without disliking each other.

I agree, and it's what this thread and my responses are about.

Some apparently don't want moto people to discuss anything but moto
Some want people to only agree with them and their opinions
Some want to punish anyone with an opposing opinion
CivBars
7/10/2020 11:10am
BikeGuy321 wrote:
The problem is that people can't acknowledge when their party screws up, or is being totally asinine. Like for instance, I'm a democrat because I don't...
The problem is that people can't acknowledge when their party screws up, or is being totally asinine. Like for instance, I'm a democrat because I don't believe in the rich getting richer at the expense of millions and millions of the rest of us. but I don't support the crazy, gender-identity crap the party is into, unless it's for people who were born with both male and female parts.
GuyB wrote:
Why do people keep running off the cliff?
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/10/2020 11:16am
I've never missed not listening to something I didn't want to listen to. Like turning the dial past an AM station in a language I don't know. Especially if I am after trivial content like sports.

Sometimes, however, it is important to hear things that contradict my positions, or even things I just don't want to hear. At least if I aspire to be a responsible citizen among fellow citizens.

I'd never tell Ping or Matthes or whomever not to speak their minds. The First Amendment is the greatest American ideal in my opinion. If someone's thoughts on an issue get under my skin, then it's time for me to examine how well my filters work. I'll listen to anyone on just about any issue I am interested in until it's clear someone just is parroting stuff. All of us have limited time, and there's nothing wrong with being selective with a billion sloganeering voices wanting your attention. But "I have no use for this" seems different from "it bothers me that this person spoke these things."
mx317
7/10/2020 11:33am
Why is anybody over the age of 18 still on social media? Seriously, grow the fuck up. do something useful with your time. Delete your social...
Why is anybody over the age of 18 still on social media? Seriously, grow the fuck up. do something useful with your time. Delete your social media accounts.
jemcee wrote:
My local tracks here are on Facebook and post practice and race days. Muddy Creek and other Victory Sports events post the race order on the day of the race. Much info flows through Facebook, both good and bad, correct and incorrect.
EngIceDave
7/10/2020 11:37am Edited Date/Time 7/10/2020 11:37am
I've never missed not listening to something I didn't want to listen to. Like turning the dial past an AM station in a language I don't...
I've never missed not listening to something I didn't want to listen to. Like turning the dial past an AM station in a language I don't know. Especially if I am after trivial content like sports.

Sometimes, however, it is important to hear things that contradict my positions, or even things I just don't want to hear. At least if I aspire to be a responsible citizen among fellow citizens.

I'd never tell Ping or Matthes or whomever not to speak their minds. The First Amendment is the greatest American ideal in my opinion. If someone's thoughts on an issue get under my skin, then it's time for me to examine how well my filters work. I'll listen to anyone on just about any issue I am interested in until it's clear someone just is parroting stuff. All of us have limited time, and there's nothing wrong with being selective with a billion sloganeering voices wanting your attention. But "I have no use for this" seems different from "it bothers me that this person spoke these things."
A triple negative?

Nice job
huutnanny
7/10/2020 11:38am
I took a look at ping’s twitter. It’s a bit abrasive.

But here’s the thing. Despite all those things that I would disagree with, step back and look at the entire picture. The guy is does a job to serve the public. I have not heard anything bad about the guy. His twitter feed seems kinda out there, but the silver lining is that maybe people are actually more centered than whatever their social media account reflects. Look at what people do. It’s seems to be more telling than what they post.

FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
7/10/2020 11:53am
EngIceDave wrote:
A triple negative?

Nice job
It's like sequencing in math problems when there are brackets and parenthesis.
Nerd
7/10/2020 12:08pm
This is not intended to be a politically divisive post. I will keep the actual politics to the bare minimum in hopes GuyB won’t flush it. Here we go:

People can break down politics many ways—left/right, libertarian/authoritarian, individualist/collectivist, etc—but obviously I decided a few years ago to focus on running for office as an *independent* knowing it would be an uphill battle, and believing that I had it in me to persevere in large part due to my history as a motocross racer.

There is no tougher sport. There is no better test of mettle. I love motocross and supercross racing. And just as with motocross racing, I’m figuring out how to run for office, and I’m making lots of mistakes, but I’m also making incredible progress—>900 votes in 2018 on $3000, ≈8500 votes in 2020 on $500. I legitimately think I can win in 2022 with a system we (myself and my campaign staff) have developed, and after we prove the effectiveness of this system in 2022, we’re going to put together a free handbook on running for office as an independent and help put more independents into government. I wholeheartedly believe this is the answer to fixing our broken government.

I’m a new dad, and my daughter, Daphne, is my entire world. In most ways, she’s softened me, but she’s hardened my resolve. I’m 43 years old now with an infant daughter and I know I won’t be around for her as long as most parents are. I’ll be 60 when she graduates high school. And I absolutely refuse to leave her in this world as it is.

And this pandemic—and many of my friends’ responses to it—has revealed my tipping point. I can, and do, respect people of all political ideologies because I believe there’s truth to all of them. The flaw this pandemic revealed, IMO, is mainly between the “collectivist” and “individualist” ideologies. I think in reality both of those ideologies rely on each other. You can’t have individualism without collectivism and vice-versa. People refusing to wear masks in public are going to lead to our economy shutting down again, and this “individualist” behavior may actually end up killing off the sport we all love so much.

But if we act as a “collective”, with knowledge, and respect for each other’s safety—since the cloth masks are designed to protect *others* from *us*, not protect *us* from *others*—that will *enable* our “individualist” pursuits in deciding which sports (if any) we want to support and participate in.

And that is how politics permeates motocross, and everything else.

I also have two parents who are both susceptible to lung-related illness, and if either of them catch COVID, they’ll likely die. And infants are also especially susceptible to this illness, and if I lose my daughter to this illness because of these short-sighted “individualists”, hell hath no fury...

That’s why, having attempted (and continuing to) to discuss this rationally with many “anti-maskers” (who are mostly just victims of their own normalcy biases and political bubbles) I have a short fuse on this particular issue.

But I think if we love our sport, as I believe all of us do, we need to be willing to talk about *certain* things that have a political ideology attached to them (whether they should or not, as I don’t think science should usually be considered a political issue).

Best wishes everybody. Truly. And I don’t mean this like these celebrity dummies who feel it’s torture to be stuck in their mansions: We’re all in this together, whether we like it or not.
Nerd
7/10/2020 12:25pm
Oh, and I meant to post Daphne celebrating ‘murica.

Post a reply to: New trend of politics in moto media that's bugging me (For Matthes, Anton, Ping, Cox, DBo, JT and whoever else...)

The Latest