New trend of politics in moto media that's bugging me (For Matthes, Anton, Ping, Cox, DBo, JT and whoever else...)

Related:
Create New Tag

7/8/2020 11:18 PM

Vital did a wise thing when it banned the endless toilet of political debate from a board about motocross. Now everywhere I go on Insta or Twitter I seem to find one another political argument going on with people in the moto industry and/or fans. I think I can speak for many when I say this sucks, it's just a downer and leads nowhere good. For one, nobody's mind is getting changed. It just creates division when someone whose moto commentary and knowledge you really enjoy turns out to be the polar opposite about politics.
To put in bluntly "I just wanna hear the motocross stuff," not because I don't respect your point of view-- I go to moto media to escape all the blather of the social media/political landscape. (I'm in a media job myself in a space far from moto and I leave my politics out of my social media, because it's my own business and nobody else's). Why not unleash on each other in group texts and keep the social media stuff social? That's how it used to be.

|

7/8/2020 11:28 PM

Its hard though. Because Moto media is in essence their day job, they obviously still have opinions on subjects outside of what they do for a living. Why should they not be allowed to post about them?

If i'm a bricklayer, should all my instagram posts be about the lastest happenings in the bricklaying industry? Should i only gossip about bricks and brick related topics? Or am i allowed to post about my political leanings, my trip to the beach and my moto interests as well?

In most cases these are personal accounts so they can post how and what they like. If you dont want to see them then unfollow the account and stick the the Vital/Racerx/Swapmoto accounts instead which will have plenty of moto and moto only in my experience.

|

7/9/2020 12:58 AM

if its on their own personal feeds, then whats the issue? can you not handle reading someones opinion that differs to your view?

on all these feeds, you can unfollow any time you like

|

7/9/2020 1:21 AM

scott_nz wrote:

if its on their own personal feeds, then whats the issue? can you not handle reading someones opinion that differs to your view?

on all these feeds, you can unfollow any time you like

Nah, that isn't the issue. I guess it's a bummer to see the voices of moto get caught up in all the ugliness. Lately politics have become more of a topic than moto on a lot of these platforms. Sign of the times, and carry on, I guess.

|

7/9/2020 1:27 AM

Sierra Ranger wrote:

Vital did a wise thing when it banned the endless toilet of political debate from a board about motocross. Now everywhere I go on Insta or Twitter I seem to find one another political argument going on with people in the moto industry and/or fans. I think I can speak for many when I say this sucks, it's just a downer and leads nowhere good. For one, nobody's mind is getting changed. It just creates division when someone whose moto commentary and knowledge you really enjoy turns out to be the polar opposite about politics.
To put in bluntly "I just wanna hear the motocross stuff," not because I don't respect your point of view-- I go to moto media to escape all the blather of the social media/political landscape. (I'm in a media job myself in a space far from moto and I leave my politics out of my social media, because it's my own business and nobody else's). Why not unleash on each other in group texts and keep the social media stuff social? That's how it used to be.

No offence intended but You've just opened a Can of worms...best not to even mention the word "politics" as we all know how that turns out.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

7/9/2020 1:34 AM

Banning the talk is boring.

Clipping comments if they get personal is all that should happen.

People being afraid to express ideas and being brave enough to listen is a major shortcoming of society today.

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


7/9/2020 1:48 AM

scott_nz wrote:

if its on their own personal feeds, then whats the issue? can you not handle reading someones opinion that differs to your view?

on all these feeds, you can unfollow any time you like

Sierra Ranger wrote:

Nah, that isn't the issue. I guess it's a bummer to see the voices of moto get caught up in all the ugliness. Lately politics have become more of a topic than moto on a lot of these platforms. Sign of the times, and carry on, I guess.

I agree with you that the debate on the subjects are not really a great exchange of ideas, but more throwing shit at the other side,

(Cox is running for office, so talking him politics on his feeds should be a give in)

|

7/9/2020 4:38 AM

Well you see here’s the thing; all those guys you mentioned are people, and you know people have opinions right? The USA has free speech, true?
Okay nothing to see here, move along....

|

7/9/2020 4:42 AM

Totally agree OP. Yes they have every right to talk politics. And it's their show, their feed, and this is America.

But yeah it sucks. Hopefully it dies down after the election.

|

7/9/2020 4:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2020 4:58 AM

Crush wrote:

Banning the talk is boring.

Clipping comments if they get personal is all that should happen.

People being afraid to express ideas and being brave enough to listen is a major shortcoming of society today.

I disagree. I don't take banning political talk (along with other things) on this forum as some kind of attack on freedom of speech. But there's a place and there's a time, and this is isn't it, that's all. I am sure there are plenty of other places on the internet where I can have those kinds of discussions.
I think that most would agree that going to the library, standing on a chair, and yelling "You gotta fight, for your right, to paaaar-tyy" would be frowned upon. At the Beastie Boys concert? No problem. We just have rules in our society that we have to abide by, in order to live together in a civil manner. This place is no exception.
Sure, the concept of politics overlaps with many things and you can't completely avoid it when discussing any topic.I think the mods just have to make a discretionary decision on where to draw the line of where things go too far, and I believe they do a decent job at it.

|

7/9/2020 5:25 AM

Politics, and all of the bs going on are affecting everything to the extent that you can't get away from it. Only way is to shut off the TV and internet completely.

|

7/9/2020 5:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2020 5:33 AM

As some of you may be aware, I'm one of the OG's here....I think I was one of the first 5 or 10 that registered here, I was an OG at Motodrive (which was folded into Vital) and before that, I was at Freshdirt

Been with many of this group for more than 20 years....damn I'm old, geezus....

I used to talk everything on here, I'd do the politics, I'd call idiots out and I've been known to do a little legal research and out people who sue an MX track and lie and hide it from everyone.

I was also pretty bad at times, because i'd be like a dog on a bone with some topics.

But I had to stop, because when on Freshdirt/Motodrive and early days here, I could post as "Me" and not as "My business" and we were a tight enough group where we could all talk shit, haze noobs (ahhh...the good ol days) and people were able to separate me from my company.

Then as Vital became more and more popular, and more new folks joined, people seemed to forget or not care about allowing someone to be themselves, and just be a friend or fan, but had to attack or threaten their job or business because they disagreed with their position or opinion.

I am not alone, there were other industr(ie) people on here, but the same thing would happen to them, so like me, they left. I only recently decided to peek in and participate occasionally, but I do keep it to a minimum, keep it non-political and keep fairly neutral on things.

I have to, or people say shit about my business, or threaten to.

I guess my point is, all those people listed in the initial post, Matthes, Anton, ML, Ping, Cox, etc....are just people too. We're just regular folks like anyone else. We vote, we have opinions, we watch TV, we read, we read the news, we read all kinds of topics and subject....just like anyone

and we want to talk about it, like you.

But as this very thread shows, we can't.

We can only discuss our jobs, the thing we think about all day, every day, as our jobs.

Apparently, we can't do like y'all and break away from our jobs and discuss the things effecting our lives, like you can do in yours.

We can't have open, honest conversation with our peers, other people with similar interests, motorcycles and motocross.

Sorry for the long winded response, I'll return to my hole and little private corner of the internet I had to create for myself.

By the way, it's been suggested that I and others in the industr(ie) should make up pseudonyms in order to participate, what fun is hiding? I don't want to hide. I do know there are some riders and industry folks among you who are hiding, that you talk shit to and dismiss (Hell, apparently I have done it and I'm guilty of it) and that does suck, because you are getting inside information, exclusive to Vital forum readers, but you don't even know it and you dismiss it because that insider has to hide from you.

Have a good day
Stay safe (meant in a neutral non-political manner)

|

7/9/2020 5:35 AM

So you’re sick of politics on a Moto site and here you go starting a thread about one...

|

7/9/2020 5:40 AM

In theory, I wish it was as you say, OP. It would be nice to not have to hear politics at every outlet. But when it comes to Twitter, those are their personal account, so they have every right. Matthes wines and argues with enough people about it on Twitter, that in itself is just as annoying as the politics. But I can unfollow or whatever if I choose. Instead I just deal with it by scrolling right past it, like I would from anyone else. Those guys, just like athletes or normal every day people are free to post whatever they want. At least Ping is funny about it. I'm just not the type of person to post about politics because I don't align myself with a side, but these days it's just everywhere, unfortunately.

|

7/9/2020 5:40 AM

Start traveling and meet other people outside the country. You will care less and less of others small minded limited views.

|

7/9/2020 5:42 AM

I just thought about something (sorry I'm back, I apologize), but people on here say that the "cancel culture" stuff that's going on in the world is bullshit, but that is exactly what a lot of people have tried to do or threaten to do when someone who works in this business posts anything on here or elsewhere they don't agree with, personally or politically.

I'll go away again, sorry

|

7/9/2020 6:35 AM

I’ve got an idea, let’s argue about political arguing in moto media.

Is this really a moto thread?ermm

|

7/9/2020 6:39 AM

toroP wrote:

I’ve got an idea, let’s argue about political arguing in moto media.

Is this really a moto thread?ermm

It's about moto people?

|

7/9/2020 6:42 AM

Okay, point-counterpoint.

I totally understand what some of you are saying, and agree to an extent, but there are a couple things to discuss.

I signed up for Twitter long before I had a full-time MX career. That people started to follow it now because of what I do for a paycheck is nice, but it's never been a purely MX page. Might be music that I'm listening to, videos or posts that my brother and I send to each other, what I see as a super fan of sprint cars/MotoGP/F1, shoes and clothes, and so on. It's a 29-year-old's weird inspiration board.

At the same time, politics and social issues are something I've been into my entire life, in school I took every history and social class that they'd let me. To say that I have to completely mute one whole part of my personal interest, despite never causing any sort of harm through it, because someone thinks it's annoying is absurd.

I could understand that if I was straight-up attacking people of different beliefs and calling them every name in the book like some do, but I don't. Have never gone to someone's page had a full meltdown on them, but have had plenty of people come at me and tell me shit like my dad should have busted on the curtains instead of in my mom. Hell, there are a handful of "mystery" accounts that have made me the center of their shit-talking, but it's part of it, so whatever. Says more about them than me, really.

I'll admit, I have been very openly anti-Trump, but on multiple occasions, I've explained that I think any and all politicians are the scum of the earth (Obama's "good' acts don't override all the shit he did in the Middle East and the way Cheney got Bush to sell the War on Terror was criminal), but because that was before anyone "followed" me, no one remembers seeing it. They just see me going after their guy now and think I'm some liberal that's trying to get on Soros' payroll. I'm of the belief that no person of power cares about the common man and think anyone who feels they "are the chosen one to lead the public to prosperity" is a fucking power-tripping lunatic that can't be trusted. But that's just me.

This is where the double standards in MX are on full display. Multiple riders and others in the industry have said pro-Republican things, follow very active-decisive political pundits, or worn Trump merch to the races, and they get celebrated for it. Why are they allowed to do so, but the media guys can't voice our opinion on something similar online? Are we not fast enough? Or is it because it's not the same message people want to hear?

None of you really know me and it's a bit fucked up. I really, really appreciate the fact that people want to read or hear what I see when I'm at the races, it's an honor for a guy that literally made MX the center focus of his life. I know that there are racers who have different viewpoints on life than I do, but I don't hold it against them when I'm talking to them, and never, ever have I brought a topic up like that in my coverage (a write-up on Malcolm winning his Heat Race in SLC with the shot I had of Big James celebrating in the stands amid massive civil unrest would have been great, but I never typed a word about it because I know the firestorm it'd start). Sadly, a lot of everyday people don't give us the same chance and freak out any time we bring up something that didn't happen at the track. We all see the crackpot theories some of you in here come up about MX with and just let it go because tearing someone apart isn't the fix, it just leads to more tension.

|

7/9/2020 6:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2020 6:49 AM

It's social media, I just unfollow people if I think they spit stupid shit. Even moto people are people, I don't think moto is 100% who they are as a person. I could see how you only want the moto content from moto industry though, that's why I rag on Shanes podium speeches that I think are insane.

|

7/9/2020 6:52 AM

Bah, what do you know, Anton....

|

7/9/2020 6:52 AM

Oh boy.... sick

|

7/9/2020 7:05 AM

No sports, everything’s closing, and its an election year. People have a lot of pent up energy and politics is about the only live entertainment people have right now, so naturally its an outlet for joy, frustration, anger and speculation.

I’m afraid this is only going to get worse until November 3rd.

|

7/9/2020 7:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/9/2020 7:05 AM

Maybe people are just tired of listening to it and seeing it on tv. Since racing is in limbo once again,this is their way to vent? You can never please everyone. Don’t like it there is always the unfollow button.

|

7/9/2020 7:30 AM

Dance monkey dance.

|

7/9/2020 7:34 AM

Anton_514 wrote:

Okay, point-counterpoint.

I totally understand what some of you are saying, and agree to an extent, but there are a couple things to discuss.

I signed up for Twitter long before I had a full-time MX career. That people started to follow it now because of what I do for a paycheck is nice, but it's never been a purely MX page. Might be music that I'm listening to, videos or posts that my brother and I send to each other, what I see as a super fan of sprint cars/MotoGP/F1, shoes and clothes, and so on. It's a 29-year-old's weird inspiration board.

At the same time, politics and social issues are something I've been into my entire life, in school I took every history and social class that they'd let me. To say that I have to completely mute one whole part of my personal interest, despite never causing any sort of harm through it, because someone thinks it's annoying is absurd.

I could understand that if I was straight-up attacking people of different beliefs and calling them every name in the book like some do, but I don't. Have never gone to someone's page had a full meltdown on them, but have had plenty of people come at me and tell me shit like my dad should have busted on the curtains instead of in my mom. Hell, there are a handful of "mystery" accounts that have made me the center of their shit-talking, but it's part of it, so whatever. Says more about them than me, really.

I'll admit, I have been very openly anti-Trump, but on multiple occasions, I've explained that I think any and all politicians are the scum of the earth (Obama's "good' acts don't override all the shit he did in the Middle East and the way Cheney got Bush to sell the War on Terror was criminal), but because that was before anyone "followed" me, no one remembers seeing it. They just see me going after their guy now and think I'm some liberal that's trying to get on Soros' payroll. I'm of the belief that no person of power cares about the common man and think anyone who feels they "are the chosen one to lead the public to prosperity" is a fucking power-tripping lunatic that can't be trusted. But that's just me.

This is where the double standards in MX are on full display. Multiple riders and others in the industry have said pro-Republican things, follow very active-decisive political pundits, or worn Trump merch to the races, and they get celebrated for it. Why are they allowed to do so, but the media guys can't voice our opinion on something similar online? Are we not fast enough? Or is it because it's not the same message people want to hear?

None of you really know me and it's a bit fucked up. I really, really appreciate the fact that people want to read or hear what I see when I'm at the races, it's an honor for a guy that literally made MX the center focus of his life. I know that there are racers who have different viewpoints on life than I do, but I don't hold it against them when I'm talking to them, and never, ever have I brought a topic up like that in my coverage (a write-up on Malcolm winning his Heat Race in SLC with the shot I had of Big James celebrating in the stands amid massive civil unrest would have been great, but I never typed a word about it because I know the firestorm it'd start). Sadly, a lot of everyday people don't give us the same chance and freak out any time we bring up something that didn't happen at the track. We all see the crackpot theories some of you in here come up about MX with and just let it go because tearing someone apart isn't the fix, it just leads to more tension.

I wish you would of wrote about Malcolm and Big James. What Malcolm did takes guts. He and Jalek Swoll are the only two black pro supercross riders I can think of. There are certainly some racial disparities in motocross and supercross, but it seems like a topic no one wants to report on or talk about.

|

7/9/2020 7:44 AM

On another forum, they have a "Purple Section" - Red+Blue.. Get it? Everything gets hashed out there and it doesn't bleed into the racing side of things. Love it!

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

7/9/2020 7:45 AM

huutnanny wrote:

I wish you would of wrote about Malcolm and Big James. What Malcolm did takes guts. He and Jalek Swoll are the only two black pro supercross riders I can think of. There are certainly some racial disparities in motocross and supercross, but it seems like a topic no one wants to report on or talk about.

I know the Stewart's never really wanted it to be about race.

At times they couldn't avoid it, but they never went into it headlong

|

7/9/2020 7:48 AM

Didn't relize it before but now I see Anton gets it. Respect

|

7/9/2020 8:06 AM

Stuntman949 wrote:

On another forum, they have a "Purple Section" - Red+Blue.. Get it? Everything gets hashed out there and it doesn't bleed into the racing side of things. Love it!

True but the OP is about mainly being on social media, which those guys are going to do what they are going to do. It's their account. Sucks as a fan, but it's their right, so we just have to keep scrolling or unfollow.

|