New track suing scum, this time Hard Rock in Ocala.

DEMON_CR
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 9:56pm
Here we go again.

http://www.tampabay.com/...th/article657049.ece

I like this part,

"Merik's family has hired a lawyer. His parents say he shouldn't have been allowed to ride without their permission at Hard Rock Cycle Park and that the track was too dangerous for inexpert bikers.

"The jumps keep getting higher," said Merik's attorney, Tom Parnell. "The risks are getting outrageous. The basic set-ups for these tracks and courses, they're asking for injuries."

Hard Rock owners didn't return calls for comment. "
|
flarider
7/3/2008 5:32pm
Can a minor legally sign a release?
Tiki
Fantasy
1670th
7/3/2008 5:49pm
Florida...
chrisgg90
Fantasy
1815th
7/3/2008 5:55pm
If he is 17, why would he need his parents permission to ride at the track, he is an adult?
electro211
7/3/2008 6:07pm
chrisgg90 wrote:
If he is 17, why would he need his parents permission to ride at the track, he is an adult?
I think 18 is considered an adult. Its too bad the "inexpert" rider and his parents think it is track's fault. Its too bad he got hurt, but it was his stupidity to ride there if it was above his level.

The Shop

Larry
7/3/2008 6:21pm
Release legal or not you will always find some scum bag Lawyer who will file a case.
Lightning78
7/3/2008 6:34pm
It's douchebag lawyers like this guy that make tracks have to have such high insurance and are getting tracks closed down.....how do these greedy lawyers get around the release you sign at the gate anyways?????
flarider
7/3/2008 6:40pm
Letting minors sign it and ride?

I'm sorry, but that was a fuck up and it's gonna bite 'em

I don't like track suers anymore than anyone else, I think they suck

But letting a minor sign and ride sounds like a big mistake.
Think about it, does a 17 yr old minor child who has no experience on a MX track really understand the risk?
Lightning78
7/3/2008 6:45pm
who signs for the 16 year old factory kids when they go practice?
flarider
7/3/2008 6:48pm
I dunno

But don't you think the 16 yr old factory kid and his parents are fully aware of the skills required and risks involved?

The kid fucked up, his mistake and his fault, and I'm sorry he's hurt
But the track is in deep shit in my opinion for not covering their ass properly
fcr
7/3/2008 6:50pm
It's douchebag lawyers like this guy that make tracks have to have such high insurance and are getting tracks closed down.....how do these greedy lawyers get...
It's douchebag lawyers like this guy that make tracks have to have such high insurance and are getting tracks closed down.....how do these greedy lawyers get around the release you sign at the gate anyways?????
You can hate lawyers all you want, I'm there with you, but unless the track has covered their bases they are liable.
newmann
7/3/2008 6:55pm
We have a new MX/Offroad facility being built in Southeast Texas by what is probably one of the wealthiest attorneys in the country. Wonder how that release will read?
Joe 788
7/3/2008 6:57pm
flarider wrote:
Letting minors sign it and ride? I'm sorry, but that was a fuck up and it's gonna bite 'em I don't like track suers anymore than...
Letting minors sign it and ride?

I'm sorry, but that was a fuck up and it's gonna bite 'em

I don't like track suers anymore than anyone else, I think they suck

But letting a minor sign and ride sounds like a big mistake.
Think about it, does a 17 yr old minor child who has no experience on a MX track really understand the risk?
Dave, he's 17 years old, not 17 months. If he was 18 years old, he'd still be suing, but for some other reason.

flarider
7/3/2008 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:29pm
Joe 788 wrote:
Dave, he's 17 years old, not 17 months. If he was 18 years old, he'd still be suing, but for some other reason.

I agree, but why give the dork and his family an instant end-around on your liability release

Why make it easy for the assholes?

CYA

CYA

CYA

and if you're not sure or have any questions, CYAx2
newmann
7/3/2008 7:04pm
DEMON_CR wrote:
Here we go again. http://www.tampabay.com/...th/article657049.ece I like this part, "Merik's family has hired a lawyer. His parents say he shouldn't have been allowed to ride without...
Here we go again.

http://www.tampabay.com/...th/article657049.ece

I like this part,

"Merik's family has hired a lawyer. His parents say he shouldn't have been allowed to ride without their permission at Hard Rock Cycle Park and that the track was too dangerous for inexpert bikers.

"The jumps keep getting higher," said Merik's attorney, Tom Parnell. "The risks are getting outrageous. The basic set-ups for these tracks and courses, they're asking for injuries."

Hard Rock owners didn't return calls for comment. "
The jumps keep getting higher," said Merik's attorney, Tom Parnell. "The risks are getting outrageous. The basic set-ups for these tracks and courses, they're asking for injuries."

I would to some extent agree to this statement. I'm dumbfounded by local tracks that are geared towards about ten percent of the riders while the other 90% feel intimidated by certain sections or obstacles. Nothing beats a track that is safe for pee-wees, yet challenging for pro's. They are out there, and there could be more.
chrisgg90
Fantasy
1815th
7/3/2008 7:19pm
flarider wrote:
I dunno But don't you think the 16 yr old factory kid and his parents are fully aware of the skills required and risks involved? The...
I dunno

But don't you think the 16 yr old factory kid and his parents are fully aware of the skills required and risks involved?

The kid fucked up, his mistake and his fault, and I'm sorry he's hurt
But the track is in deep shit in my opinion for not covering their ass properly
That about covers it.
OldTiddler
7/3/2008 7:21pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:29pm
That's a tough one all around. As much as people want to be able to single out someone to hammer on when shit goes bad, there's no one person responsible here.

Track managers should be doing more to make sure everyone's safe, including pulling people that are riding over their heads or shouldn't be riding at all according to policy. But they can't catch them all.

The kid was obviously supremely foolish. You don't jump this stuff at Hardrock--some of which us experienced guys don't even do--if you "hadn't done much dirtbiking". Someone doesn't value life and limb very much.

I'd like to see the track not be liable for the kids damages, as prime responsibility for oneself must always be on the individual. The kid and his parents should have to pay and live with the horrendous decision he made. For the track's part, tracks everywhere could be more disciplined in their policies to make things safer for everyone though.
Slow ~ Pro
7/3/2008 7:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 7:29pm
You don't have to be an adult to sign the release. All you have to do is be able to read it.

It states the you are aware that motocross is a dangerous sport etc. etc...I'll try to remember to bring one home, scan it, and post it.

Tracks go through this all the time, at least a few times a year. It's usually not the actual rider filing suit, but someone in their camp.

Also when you are at a Posted "Practice day" you are at a ride at your own risk, no medical personal required.

Right now at Glen Helen, I had to speak to the Sheriff in regards to a drunk that came from the back side of St. Helens, rode over the edge, and tumbled down. Cop admitted he was drunk. The guy still hired an Attorney.

Sent the release sheets, and no signature, case closed. Breaking, and entering, case opened.

Anyway, it's a bummer for the kid...However, his parents are weenies !
flarider
7/3/2008 7:49pm
Varies from State to State, and I've actually read those releases, most have never read them

Florida is a whole different animal
flarider
7/3/2008 7:51pm
If he pinned it up the water tower, yeah
Slow ~ Pro
7/3/2008 7:56pm
flarider wrote:
Varies from State to State, and I've actually read those releases, most have never read them

Florida is a whole different animal
I agree, most have not read them. And I admit...I have not in years. So maybe I was a bit premature in my post.

Do I not collect $200.00 ?
Do I return to Go, and start all over ?
flarider
7/3/2008 8:01pm
Ask about RC16 and florida lawsuits

10 pages, easy
Cygnus
7/3/2008 8:14pm
Unfortunately the health insurance companies have lawyers and will fight to get any penny they have to pay out back . If and when you need to use your health ins. get your gear off and say you fell off a ladder or the roof cleaning your gutters .
35smom
7/3/2008 9:10pm
Their mechanics with the notarized release letter from the parents. We all have them in case someone else takes our kids riding. I've notarized alot
7/3/2008 10:02pm
newmann wrote:
We have a new MX/Offroad facility being built in Southeast Texas by what is probably one of the wealthiest attorneys in the country. Wonder how that...
We have a new MX/Offroad facility being built in Southeast Texas by what is probably one of the wealthiest attorneys in the country. Wonder how that release will read?
WHERE?????Cool
aminkman
7/3/2008 10:04pm
Seems to me that the parents are negligent, not the track.
devheadmx
7/3/2008 10:57pm
chrisgg90 wrote:
electro211 wrote:
I think 18 is considered an adult. Its too bad the "inexpert" rider and his parents think it is track's fault. Its too bad he got...
I think 18 is considered an adult. Its too bad the "inexpert" rider and his parents think it is track's fault. Its too bad he got hurt, but it was his stupidity to ride there if it was above his level.
I agree 100%
TylerRSM
7/3/2008 11:53pm
i cant stand stories like this. like the kid whose yamaha with faulty wiring done by his dad caught on fire and burnt his gear to his body. sued every brand he could except yamaha cause of the wiring. kid shouldnt have ridin a track for faster riders withthe experience he had. and this is one embelished story. hes 17, '5"10, weighs 195 and is benching about 400?? not enough steroids in the world. and about that 40ft vertical he got??? they didnt say anything about a private freestyle compound with a 80 footer??

Post a reply to: New track suing scum, this time Hard Rock in Ocala.

The Latest