New to Phoenix Area, Help!!

usafwx
11/19/2017 2:13pm Edited Date/Time 11/19/2017 2:18pm
FGR01 wrote:
Hmmm, let's see. It's county land/county owned and the county and state paid to build it! How many other people on this board live somewhere where...
Hmmm, let's see. It's county land/county owned and the county and state paid to build it! How many other people on this board live somewhere where the government built them a track with permanent buildings, fencing, concrete start, on-site well with huge storage tank, water trucks, and what everyone considers the best lighting at any track in Arizona?

I think the track is pretty good considering they have to build it to suit riders from 50cc beginner to Pro. They'd be able to put more into it if more people showed up and rode and brought more money in. They ain't getting rich so it's hard to justify massive changes. But they do keep it pretty good, constantly mixing in mulch to keep the dirt soft and it is prepped for practice 3 days a week. How many other tracks in the state have prepped practice that often?

Keep driving to tracks in Phoenix instead of MC and soon you might have no choice.
I believe it was county owned but it’s now owned and maintained by Musselman Honda. And sure maybe for the only track in the area. But it is far from a good track. Go to either coast and you’ll realize this. The first time I rode it there were chunks missing out of the jump faces, holes in landings, over watered, etc. I understand they have to work with all riders and what they have but it’s far from a great or good track. I applaud the effort but it’s by no means a top track and in comparison is not even on par with the track options in Phoenix.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
11/19/2017 2:37pm
usafwx wrote:
I believe it was county owned but it’s now owned and maintained by Musselman Honda. And sure maybe for the only track in the area. But...
I believe it was county owned but it’s now owned and maintained by Musselman Honda. And sure maybe for the only track in the area. But it is far from a good track. Go to either coast and you’ll realize this. The first time I rode it there were chunks missing out of the jump faces, holes in landings, over watered, etc. I understand they have to work with all riders and what they have but it’s far from a great or good track. I applaud the effort but it’s by no means a top track and in comparison is not even on par with the track options in Phoenix.
It is still county owned. Always has been. That entire area of land out there is county.. the fairgrounds, all of it. The county leases the track to whoever they select as the operator. Mussleman's has been the lease holder since ~2010. There have been several other operators in the past.

I have ridden both coasts, everything in between, and a few other countries and I have helped maintain and operate 2 tracks in the past so I have a pretty good feel for what's out there. Based on this, I know that it's not so bad at MCMP. I've ridden much worse in many other places. It definitely qualifies as "good" track in my book, just based on the fact that it is always groomed and prepped. There are many folks on this board who would die to have a track like MCMP close to them, provided by the government.

When is the last time you were out there? They've changed it recently. I was there about 2 weeks ago and it was very nice. No holes on jumps and definitely not over watered. I think they went through a rough spell trying to get a good track guy a while back and I suspect that may have been when you were out there.

Also, I guess by your screen name you are in the AF ? I hope you have been taking advantage of the military discount MCMP offers. I know of no other track in AZ that does. Also, Mark at MCMP is very receptive to constructive input. If have ideas for improvement, have a talk with him and it might get changed.
usafwx
11/19/2017 3:07pm
FGR01 wrote:
It is still county owned. Always has been. That entire area of land out there is county.. the fairgrounds, all of it. The county leases the...
It is still county owned. Always has been. That entire area of land out there is county.. the fairgrounds, all of it. The county leases the track to whoever they select as the operator. Mussleman's has been the lease holder since ~2010. There have been several other operators in the past.

I have ridden both coasts, everything in between, and a few other countries and I have helped maintain and operate 2 tracks in the past so I have a pretty good feel for what's out there. Based on this, I know that it's not so bad at MCMP. I've ridden much worse in many other places. It definitely qualifies as "good" track in my book, just based on the fact that it is always groomed and prepped. There are many folks on this board who would die to have a track like MCMP close to them, provided by the government.

When is the last time you were out there? They've changed it recently. I was there about 2 weeks ago and it was very nice. No holes on jumps and definitely not over watered. I think they went through a rough spell trying to get a good track guy a while back and I suspect that may have been when you were out there.

Also, I guess by your screen name you are in the AF ? I hope you have been taking advantage of the military discount MCMP offers. I know of no other track in AZ that does. Also, Mark at MCMP is very receptive to constructive input. If have ideas for improvement, have a talk with him and it might get changed.
That’s good to know. Coming from NJ we had some really amazing facilities, Englishtown, Speedciti, Field of Dreams. I will agree the discount was very cool being active duty. Last time I was out there was May-Jun which was my disappointment along with the hearsay from some of the riders there was enough to put me off. Glad to hear things are better maybe when I’m back from my deployment I’ll check it out again.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
11/19/2017 3:41pm
usafwx wrote:
That’s good to know. Coming from NJ we had some really amazing facilities, Englishtown, Speedciti, Field of Dreams. I will agree the discount was very cool...
That’s good to know. Coming from NJ we had some really amazing facilities, Englishtown, Speedciti, Field of Dreams. I will agree the discount was very cool being active duty. Last time I was out there was May-Jun which was my disappointment along with the hearsay from some of the riders there was enough to put me off. Glad to hear things are better maybe when I’m back from my deployment I’ll check it out again.
I grew up in D6 and raced Englishtown many times back in the 80's. Great track that has it's own issues. The prices were always sky high and they had no practice days, just races (this was before they built the separate practice track). Don't know if they still do it, but they were always stupid strict with their rules based on "state law". They had bike inspections and wouldn't let you race with a broken lever or cracked exhaust. They were crazy about pit riding and would throw people out for even sitting on their bikes in the pits. If it was law I guess there was no getting around it but it sure was a PITA. I saw on a thread here that they are closing the main track and will consolidate to the practice track only.

Anyway, yeah, there's always room for improvement but let's support what we have or we might not have it soon. Those of us down here in SV think MCMP is awesome because all we have is Nomads. MCMP is a dream in comparison.

The Shop

usafwx
11/19/2017 3:46pm
FGR01 wrote:
I grew up in D6 and raced Englishtown many times back in the 80's. Great track that has it's own issues. The prices were always sky...
I grew up in D6 and raced Englishtown many times back in the 80's. Great track that has it's own issues. The prices were always sky high and they had no practice days, just races (this was before they built the separate practice track). Don't know if they still do it, but they were always stupid strict with their rules based on "state law". They had bike inspections and wouldn't let you race with a broken lever or cracked exhaust. They were crazy about pit riding and would throw people out for even sitting on their bikes in the pits. If it was law I guess there was no getting around it but it sure was a PITA. I saw on a thread here that they are closing the main track and will consolidate to the practice track only.

Anyway, yeah, there's always room for improvement but let's support what we have or we might not have it soon. Those of us down here in SV think MCMP is awesome because all we have is Nomads. MCMP is a dream in comparison.
They still have 2 seperate tracks. They are far less strict than as you mentioned, they allow pit riding, no bike inspections, etc. And yes rumor is they are combining both tracks. And yes they have their own problems on the practice track side.

Post a reply to: New to Phoenix Area, Help!!

The Latest